PDA

View Full Version : Action B the new 7 cities FET guy?

Action B
2008.11.24, 10:24 PM
Maybe...maybe not. I ordered 25 fairchild 8858 MOSFETs today. I'm going to do mine first. If all goes well I will do them for all the club's cars. I've been practicing. I will be trying my first board when they arrive this week. I will keep you posted.

Action B
2008.11.27, 05:08 PM
Okay, I removed the 3010 FETs from my MA-010 and soldered a 2x2 stack of 8858s. Difference is hardly noticeable with the Hfay motor, but then again i'm testing on a slick surface so any more punch would be translated into a burnout, which my car did before.

Of course i'll do anyone elses FETs now.. if you trust me lol.

Action B
2008.11.28, 02:12 AM
Okay, I removed the 3010 FETs from my MA-010 and soldered a 2x2 stack of 8858s. Difference is hardly noticeable with the Hfay motor, but then again i'm testing on a slick surface so any more punch would be translated into a burnout, which my car did before.

Wow, Action B. Let me tell you that IS cool. Its nice that you keep this club posted about your findings.

Its really fantastic the dedication you put forward to learn how to do FETs so that you could do the entire clubs cars and help us be more competitive. Your officially the ROOKIE OF THE YEAR! Not only for our club but for the entire site of mini-zracer.com. You REALLY are the Galiant dude!

arch2b
2008.11.28, 03:12 AM
:) nice follow up;)

hrdrvr
2008.11.28, 10:04 AM
Haha B! You made my morning with that one :D

Its cool you got your FET job to work. I tried soldering on a spider turbo (which should be easier) and lifted a FET pad, so I envy you for actually finishing the job and getting it to work properly.

Action B
2008.11.28, 12:10 PM
What is a spider turbo?

Thanks man, I practiced on several dead boards before trying mine. I'm really happy it went so smoothly. I used byebye's video tutorial as a guide. The removal technique is awesome. I do the side to side action on the FET legs a little slower but same deal. I've done the FET job about 5 times on the same spare board and not lifted a pad yet with that technique. I don't even know what lifting a pad would look like lol.

I'm going to see if i can make it to your race or not. Its kinda tight im preparing right now for my flight back to virginia beach from texas.

Thanks for posting guys I was feeling bummed because I get so pumped when I do something new and my club hasn't been posting so much lately.

a7i20ci7y
2008.11.30, 10:57 AM
Sorry, AB, I've had a bad month for doing much of anything, including checking forums.

I would be happy to compensate you for a little hot work on my Z :)

Action B
2008.12.03, 01:51 AM
Well Nate, I'm preparing to head back to virginia beach again. My great grandmas funeral went well and things are hopefully returning to normal for me. I'd like to resume mexican fiesta day next tuesday and race an upcoming saturday for some practice. Also, I'd like to return to sleeping in my girlfriends bed asap. I'm not used to being away from Maya for so long. Its really hard for me to be away from her.

I'd be happy to do your boards nate. I don't need any compensation though. Actually, I think its Maya and I that owe YOU 30 bucks ;). I'm applying to some jobs in N.C.. Apparently there is a ton of bio jobs there. If i end up moving there I can still travel to VA beach to race and visit as it would only be about an hour and a half away or so. We shall see how this pans out.

As of right now my mini-z is broken. The front knuckle holder I glued broke off sometime in texas. I have the atomic aluminum replacement on the way. It should already be in the mail from rckennon. Hopefully I can get this baby running soon. Also, there is a certain prank we must be catching up on.. right Nate:p

mleemor60
2008.12.03, 10:40 AM
Brandon,
What did you find down here? Let me know if I can help out. See you around X-mas. Or should I say see Maya. You can tag along if you want.

a7i20ci7y
2008.12.03, 01:34 PM
brandon,
see you around x-mas. Or should i say see maya. You can tag along if you want.

roflcopters

hrdrvr
2008.12.03, 04:00 PM
What is a spider turbo?

I'm going to see if i can make it to your race or not. Its kinda tight im preparing right now for my flight back to virginia beach from texas.

A Spider is a remote turbo. Its not like the capacitors people try and sell for xmods. It actually replaces the FETs. Its basically a jumper cable that runs from the FET legs to a remote board that has high grade FETs, then directly to the motor.

http://www.ausmicro.com/forum/showthread.php?p=226989

I wish some of you guys could have made it down for the race. I know its a bust time of year for every one, so I understand. We had a great time though! Maybe next time scheduling will be more condusive for you to make it. Im trying to get something together for spring, so Ill keep you posted.

Action B
2008.12.04, 01:16 AM
A Spider is a remote turbo. Its not like the capacitors people try and sell for xmods. It actually replaces the FETs. Its basically a jumper cable that runs from the FET legs to a remote board that has high grade FETs, then directly to the motor.

http://www.ausmicro.com/forum/showthread.php?p=226989

I wish some of you guys could have made it down for the race. I know its a bust time of year for every one, so I understand. We had a great time though! Maybe next time scheduling will be more condusive for you to make it. Im trying to get something together for spring, so Ill keep you posted.

My great grandmother passed away the day before your race. Otherwise, I probably could have made it.

hrdrvr
2008.12.04, 09:44 AM
Im sorry to hear about your G'Ma. :( There will be other races, so we will get to race again soon, Im sure.

Action B
2008.12.04, 07:07 PM
Im sorry to hear about your G'Ma. :( There will be other races, so we will get to race again soon, Im sure.

Not a big deal really, since she was 99 years old we really couldn't have expected her to be with us for that much longer. It wasn't a sad event for me, I went to show my respect. She was a wonderful woman.:)

Action B
2008.12.10, 12:05 AM
Second FET job a great success. Now the dirtymex (maya) has a 2x2 stack of 8858. Anyone remember her asleep under the table at nekocon? lol

Action B
2008.12.24, 09:27 PM
Whose got two thumbs and has done three FET jobs? THIS GUY!

Action B
2008.12.25, 10:31 PM
Oh yeah, the 7 cities FET guy got upgraded today! Yeah! Digital soldering station! Now I got pro equipment!

a7i20ci7y
2008.12.28, 01:30 AM
Thanks for the FET job, Brandon.

briankstan
2008.12.28, 11:17 AM
Oh yeah, the 7 cities FET guy got upgraded today! Yeah! Digital soldering station! Now I got pro equipment!

what soldering station did you get? how do you like it? I'm on the hunt for an upgrade as well.

Action B
2008.12.29, 02:11 AM
what soldering station did you get? how do you like it? I'm on the hunt for an upgrade as well.

I got a madell AT201D or in other words the radio shack digital soldering station. They are the same unit, just RS relabels them.

Let me give you a review.

PROs

- Heats up in about 15 seconds (yes i timed it)
- Adjustable temp knob with three programmable buttons
- Comes with fine tip that is good for board soldering
- LCD displays desired temp and current soldering iron temperature
- Has a jack for anti-static ground built in to unit
- Radio shack sells them, that means no shipping. (its $80)

CONs

- Tips must be ordered from website (http://madelltech.com/nozzles-tips.html)
- You may have to communicate with a salesperson at radio shack

Hope this helps.. I love it but you know, its my first one.

briankstan
2008.12.29, 09:10 AM
that is actually the same unit that I was looking at. :D

I read the review and it seems like a good system. I talked with the Radioshack guy and they can also order the tip for them, but the don't stock them.

thanks for the info on the system.

TALLGEESE
2008.12.30, 06:09 PM
Congrats on all you're success learning how to do the FET stacking Brandon.. Maybe in the near future you can do some boards for some of us here in D.C.. Have you tried doing any 2.4ghz boards yet?, I've heard those can be harder to replace the FET's on without lifting the pads..

Saman2014
2009.01.25, 09:54 PM

haha, but werent the FETs expencive??? I was thinking about stacking mine for a better motor but it would cost to much.

Saman2014
2009.01.25, 10:01 PM
Whose got two thumbs and has done three FET jobs? THIS GUY!

Your actually giving out FET jobs??? Woah. I thought you were kidding. Are you just doing this out of generosity???

Action B
2009.01.26, 05:21 PM
Your actually giving out FET jobs??? Woah. I thought you were kidding. Are you just doing this out of generosity???

Yeah, I give them out lol. FETs are actually really cheap. I pay a dollar per FET plus shipping. If you want a double stack just let me know. I've been given enough stuff from members on this forum. I don't have much to give except my services. Its my way of giving back to the community. All I ask for is 2 bucks per FET so I can order some new ones. I dont ask for $2 to make a profit, its just the shipping is just as much as the fets themselves nearly. Do you have a mini-z or an xmod?

Saman2014
2009.01.26, 05:46 PM
Yeah, I give them out lol. FETs are actually really cheap. I pay a dollar per FET plus shipping. If you want a double stack just let me know. I've been given enough stuff from members on this forum. I don't have much to give except my services. Its my way of giving back to the community. All I ask for is 2 bucks per FET so I can order some new ones. I dont ask for $2 to make a profit, its just the shipping is just as much as the fets themselves nearly. Do you have a mini-z or an xmod?

Oh, I have an Xmod. If you can upgrade it I would appreciate it. I dont have any soldering experience or equipment. Plus $2 a FET is a good price for me since I have a low upgrade budget if you can work on my xmod.

P.S. I only have a xmods stage 2 motor and im hoping it will improve it but I might get a better one hopefully.

Action B
2009.01.26, 06:08 PM
Oh, I have an Xmod. If you can upgrade it I would appreciate it. I dont have any soldering experience or equipment. Plus $2 a FET is a good price for me since I have a low upgrade budget if you can work on my xmod.

P.S. I only have a xmods stage 2 motor and im hoping it will improve it but I might get a better one hopefully.

Do you have a gen. 1 or an evo? If your car is the one in your sig and avatar its an evo.

Saman2014
2009.01.26, 07:25 PM
Do you have a gen. 1 or an evo? If your car is the one in your sig and avatar its an evo.

You are correct, how do you do it? haha. Yes it is an evo nissan GTR. Will that be a problem?

Action B
2009.01.26, 08:07 PM
You are correct, how do you do it? haha. Yes it is an evo nissan GTR. Will that be a problem?

Well, there are two things to mention here. Number one, I have never done an Xmod evo. Though that shouldn't be a problem. The second thing is that those cars require FETs I dont have. My FETs are usable on gen.1 xmod and mini-z cars only. Xmod evo cars use two different FETs. I'd be happy to solder them in but I'd need you to order the FET or drop me the cash to order them. I'd have to check pricing on those.

Saman2014
2009.01.26, 08:18 PM
Well, there are two things to mention here. Number one, I have never done an Xmod evo. Though that shouldn't be a problem. The second thing is that those cars require FETs I dont have. My FETs are usable on gen.1 xmod and mini-z cars only. Xmod evo cars use two different FETs. I'd be happy to solder them in but I'd need you to order the FET or drop me the cash to order them. I'd have to check pricing on those.

Thats why I thought the FETs were expensive. The ones I checked out before are 7.99 including the P-channel FET and the F-Channel FET. It says that you need to desolder the previous FETs and Solder the new ones on. So that would total my cost to near $16 to order enough for a 2x2. shipping is $2.27 so my total would be $18.25. Good or bad price?

Action B
2009.01.26, 10:16 PM
Thats why I thought the FETs were expensive. The ones I checked out before are 7.99 including the P-channel FET and the F-Channel FET. It says that you need to desolder the previous FETs and Solder the new ones on. So that would total my cost to near $16 to order enough for a 2x2. shipping is $2.27 so my total would be $18.25. Good or bad price?

Well, its not really a good price Considering that the FETs themselves are supposed to be around 40 cents a piece. I looked up the part online and it is out of stock, so it may be your only option. On the upside, labor is usually the most expensive part of a FET upgrade.

Saman2014
2009.01.26, 10:55 PM
Well, its not really a good price Considering that the FETs themselves are supposed to be around 40 cents a piece. I looked up the part online and it is out of stock, so it may be your only option. On the upside, labor is usually the most expensive part of a FET upgrade.

I have always used atomic mods for my upgrades: They have them in stock for 7.99 like I said. I'll check some other sites right now.

Saman2014
2009.01.26, 11:41 PM
I have found an interesting item. An external Turbo:
http://shop.ausmicro.net/product_info.php?cPath=77&products_id=606

Action B
2009.01.27, 12:03 AM
I have found an interesting item. An external Turbo:
http://shop.ausmicro.net/product_info.php?cPath=77&products_id=606

I've never installed one of those. I've heard of them before. I'd be willing to give it a shot though. It doesn't look any harder than a FET upgrade. Though, I don't know what your goals with the car are, you should run it on the track and see if its fast enough for you. I have a motor I bought for my car thats just insanely fast. It was probably a waste of money because its too fast to control at all. Tires rip off the car etc. Its pretty ridiculous. It is fun to stick on my speed checker to impress friends though i guess. What do you have done to your Xmod now?

Saman2014
2009.01.27, 12:06 AM
I've never installed one of those. I've heard of them before. I'd be willing to give it a shot though. It doesn't look any harder than a FET upgrade. Though, I don't know what your goals with the car are, you should run it on the track and see if its fast enough for you. I have a motor I bought for my car thats just insanely fast. It was probably a waste of money because its too fast to control at all. Tires rip off the car etc. Its pretty ridiculous. It is fun to stick on my speed checker to impress friends though i guess. What do you have done to your Xmod now?

All I have done is add a few visual mods, apply the stage 2 motor kit, neon underglow, and upgrade to High Discharge 750 mAH NiMH batteries. Recommend any other cheap upgrades? My goal really just is to make a racer out of my gtr

Saman2014
2009.01.27, 12:10 AM
I'm thinking of a faster motor but that would mean I need more FETs, and that would mean Li-Poly Batteries, and that would mean chassis modding to fit the batteries. I actually think I'm in over my head on all of this expensive modding. Plus my paypal account is not letting me by stuff online.

Action B
2009.01.27, 03:19 AM
I'm thinking of a faster motor but that would mean I need more FETs, and that would mean Li-Poly Batteries, and that would mean chassis modding to fit the batteries. I actually think I'm in over my head on all of this expensive modding. Plus my paypal account is not letting me by stuff online.

You want a racer? How do you want to race it? On a track or just around outside? The hobby may seem a little expensive, but this scale R/C really is cheaper than any other scale out there.

The chassis modding is simple. I can put a set of LIPO in an xmod in 5 minutes or so. I've done it like 5 times. This costs around 40 bucks.

Are you interested in coming to check out the track any time?

Saman2014
2009.01.27, 08:08 AM
You want a racer? How do you want to race it? On a track or just around outside? The hobby may seem a little expensive, but this scale R/C really is cheaper than any other scale out there.

The chassis modding is simple. I can put a set of LIPO in an xmod in 5 minutes or so. I've done it like 5 times. This costs around 40 bucks.

Are you interested in coming to check out the track any time?

Id love to check out the track. Then I'll get the LiPo Battery and the Turbo. Think you can install those for me?

P.S. isnt 3:19 a little early to be posting haha.

a7i20ci7y
2009.01.27, 08:49 AM
Certain mod shops, that shall remain nameless, are, in my opinion, rediculously over priced and have, at best, dubious marketing. Almost predatory. I've ordered parts from them, but only when no one else had them in stock. And I've never paid them to do my mods for me. But we can chat more about that "in the real."

Bear in mind that for some competitions (like HFAY), there are rules about motors and batteries. Even when there is no motor limit, there's a physics limit depending on the kind of racing you're doing. Put it on the track before you go buying lithium and hot motors. :)

Speaking of, when are we running February? I should close on the house on the 6th which will be a busy weekend. Katsu is on the 13th-15th. So I'm good Feb 1, 21, 22, and 28th, but we don't want to run HFAY on the last day of the month. Oh, and I'm going back to five 8 hour days instead of four 10 hour days.

Action B
2009.01.27, 01:16 PM
Bear in mind that for some competitions (like HFAY), there are rules about motors and batteries. Even when there is no motor limit, there's a physics limit depending on the kind of racing you're doing. Put it on the track before you go buying lithium and hot motors. :)

Thats true about some races. The motor limits and battery limits are to promote a closer competition! Speaking of physics Nate, remember the T2 motors we tried to run lol! Now that motor passed some physical limitations- TOO FAST.

I"ll call hobbytown and try to set a date.

Action B
2009.01.27, 01:18 PM
Id love to check out the track. Then I'll get the LiPo Battery and the Turbo. Think you can install those for me?

P.S. isnt 3:19 a little early to be posting haha.

Probably a little late since I was still up. Maya and I were playing Halo 3.
If you decide you want them after checking out the track I can help install them.

Saman2014
2009.01.27, 02:04 PM
Probably a little late since I was still up. Maya and I were playing Halo 3.
If you decide you want them after checking out the track I can help install them.

Haha lol, I miss halo 3 on live. My xbox is packed away untill summer so I wont be playing on my system for a while. Is this a private track or is it the hobbytown track?

P.S. I have never driven on a track but I want to spend most of my racing on track.

Action B
2009.01.27, 02:09 PM
Haha lol, I miss halo 3 on live. My xbox is packed away untill summer so I wont be playing on my system for a while. Is this a private track or is it the hobbytown track?

P.S. I have never driven on a track but I want to spend most of my racing on track.

Maya and I play halo 3 WAY too much. You should get on :)

The track is private track owned by club members. It is just stored at hobbytown.

In my opinion track racing is the most fun.

Saman2014
2009.01.27, 02:12 PM
Maya and I play halo 3 WAY too much. You should get on :)

The track is private track owned by club members. It is just stored at hobbytown.

In my opinion track racing is the most fun.

Oh, so when can I try my car out on it. The same day as the meet or sooner?

Action B
2009.01.27, 02:40 PM
Oh, so when can I try my car out on it. The same day as the meet or sooner?

We can probably go up there a little sooner if you'd like. I wouldn't mind practicing the track before the race. When is good for you? I'll PM my phone number so you can text or call so we can work something out. You can also post on here if you want but I might not get back to you as fast.

Action B
2009.01.27, 04:15 PM
Hey Saman, here are some car bodies your dad might like:D

http://www.reflexracing.net/proddetail.asp?prod=MZX33AG%2DB

http://www.reflexracing.net/proddetail.asp?prod=MZX203S%2DB

http://www.reflexracing.net/proddetail.asp?prod=MZX33VF%2DB

There are a bunch of different kinds of mcclaren racing bodies that just came out too. I dont know if he is considering racing as well or not.

Saman2014
2009.01.27, 05:48 PM
Hey Saman, here are some car bodies your dad might like:D

http://www.reflexracing.net/proddetail.asp?prod=MZX33AG%2DB

http://www.reflexracing.net/proddetail.asp?prod=MZX203S%2DB

http://www.reflexracing.net/proddetail.asp?prod=MZX33VF%2DB

There are a bunch of different kinds of mcclaren racing bodies that just came out too. I dont know if he is considering racing as well or not.

Haha, maybe he can drive my camaro, Its my other xmod. Do you think the bodies would fit on an xmod?

Action B
2009.01.28, 02:02 PM
Haha, maybe he can drive my camaro, Its my other xmod. Do you think the bodies would fit on an xmod?

I guess they could be MADE to fit. But It would require custom fabrication and probably would not be easy.