PDA

View Full Version : Bod. Crack

rickyb
2008.11.25, 06:27 AM
How can you glue a bod. In the nose and keep it from cracking again?

briankstan
2008.11.25, 07:30 AM
you can glue them, I think CA glue works the best.

One thing to note, once broke they are easier to break again in the same spot.

I always glue all around the light lens' and the light buckets on the back side prior to racing any body, this greatly strengthens the front end for the "occasional" font end collisions.

Hope that helps.

rickyb
2008.11.25, 07:54 AM
pretty much once there broke there broke, huh?

hrdrvr
2008.11.25, 08:05 AM
Some good two part epoxy will reinforce it even if its been broken before. Its a lot stronger and lasts a lot longer than CA. I usually use CA to get it back into place as its easy to work with and dries fast. Then I coat it up with the epoxy, making sure I get around the light buckets real well.

rickyb
2008.11.25, 08:09 AM
:)i will def. try this!!!!! hope that it works. anyone try fiberglass?

acerpower
2008.11.26, 09:14 AM
methaline chloride (if you can get your hands on some) works better than ca.

cowboysir
2008.11.26, 10:43 AM
:) anyone try fiberglass?

I use fibreglass and epoxy.

If you mix a bit of long curing two part epoxy (the 24hr type) and warm it a bit so it becomes a thin liquid you can really soak sheets of fibreglass and penetrate the weave to get a good bond to the body. i do all my repairs on the inside of the body so it shows less crap on the outside....

1. rough the area inside the body. This will give you extra surface area for the epoxy to bond to.

2. Cut small sheets of thin weave fibreglass material so you can cover areas without making any air pockets(common on wierd shapes inside the body). Do not use body filler/matte fibreglass...this stuff is shizen and too big a fiber for this application.

3. Make sure you epoxy is mixed well and is warmer than room temp...it'll flow off your mixing stick instaed of glob

4. apply a thin coat of epoxy, dab fibreglass weave sheets in place and watch for them to saok into the epoxy. Coat again with a thin layer of epoxy and allow time to cure.

Hope it helps.;)

rickyb
2008.11.26, 12:43 PM
great idea!!!:D

lugnutz
2008.11.26, 05:07 PM
i use a thick slow drying ca and that seems to work for along time before it does it again,i use murcury thick glue al the time ;)

Ibrake Ifry
2008.11.27, 11:37 AM
methaline chloride (if you can get your hands on some) works better than ca.

Hey do you know if i can use DCM or Dichloromethane? I think that is methaline chloride?
anyways how would you use it because i work with that chemical all the time. I have seen it strip a whole lot of paint in about a minute time :eek:lol so i was wondering how much you should actually use.

On another note i have seen some people use a mesh tape over the crack then apply heavy CA glue with CA instacure afterwards. When the CA glue is still wet you can also sprinkle some baking soda on it then use the instacure spray

acerpower
2008.11.28, 01:05 PM
Hey do you know if i can use DCM or Dichloromethane? I think that is methaline chloride?
anyways how would you use it because i work with that chemical all the time. I have seen it strip a whole lot of paint in about a minute time :eek:lol so i was wondering how much you should actually use.

On another note i have seen some people use a mesh tape over the crack then apply heavy CA glue with CA instacure afterwards. When the CA glue is still wet you can also sprinkle some baking soda on it then use the instacure spray
i'm not sure about the dcm,i used acrylic grade methaline chloride.
to use the methaline chloride, i used a syringe to apply a small amount in the crack. the crack will fuse together. you must be careful with the stuff because too much will melt plastic.

marc
2008.11.28, 01:05 PM
What does the baking soda do?