PDA

View Full Version : Economy

marc
2008.11.25, 12:00 PM
Gas prices going down? My local Black Forest Colorado Springs gas station is at $1.78 yesterday! And this is usually the more expensive place to get gas from! So how cheap is it down town? What's the gas-prices like in your area and what's the reason for this drop?
I admit, I dont' watch the news as I find it to be a sitcom rerun everyday. :o
My aunt suggested I watch BBC news which provides better information than that of American News casters.
Anybody care to clue-in as to why gas is going down? What else have you noticed?

paul_england
2008.11.25, 01:43 PM
hmm its gone down to below 90p [ $1.39USD ] in Britain, but thats for a litre.

so in Britain we are glad that we only pay $6.32 a gallon, so when it goes up to like $3... try not to complain haha.;)

well not glad but it did go up to about $8.50 a gallon here in july, so if i do get a car next year i hope, prices wont be so high.

it probally costs us in the uk more to run like a 1.1 that in costs you to run a mustang lol.

lugnutz
2008.11.25, 04:12 PM
here in jersey it's usually the cheapest but today at the Valaro it was $1.69

marc
2008.11.25, 04:21 PM
Just saw it today at 1.52! Same store! Hope it goes further down and stay's there! Wonder what's causing this.............

mikey
2008.11.25, 04:39 PM
Just saw it today at 1.52! Same store! Hope it goes further down and stay's there! Wonder what's causing this.............

the looming recession thats coming our way....

marc
2008.11.25, 04:59 PM
Wouldn't that cause price to go higher? Why would a recession lower gas prices?

mikey
2008.11.25, 05:01 PM
Wouldn't that cause price to go higher? Why would a recession lower gas prices?

less work being preformed, less oil consumption necessary, less demand = prices go down

marc
2008.11.25, 05:03 PM
Hmmmm, interesting. Either way it goes, gotta love a car that get's 60 MPG!

CristianTabush
2008.11.25, 05:06 PM
Recession forces prices down because demand goes down, as dollars become scarce. As dollars become scarce, the currency re-evaluates itself allowing you to buy more for 1 dollar than previously. (hence the strong position of the dollar v. the Euro at the time) This then allows people to buy more for a dollar and then demand starts going up as people can afford more. It all works in a cycle and it is far too complex and pointless to explain in a forum unless you have received at least 2-3 courses in macroeconomics. (I have a B.A. in economics)

marc
2008.11.25, 05:35 PM
So, is there a possibility that plastics, "AutoScales" will be cheaper for a while as long as these gas prices stay low? Being aware that we do race petrolium based products right? Petrolium equals plastics? Plastics equals AutoScales and chassis?

If recession equals cheap gas, sounds like recession is a good thing?

Draconious
2008.11.25, 10:04 PM
The election is over, so they can lower their prices... they do not need to make people think bushes war raised their gas prices so they would vote for Obama.

mikey
2008.11.25, 10:29 PM
So, is there a possibility that plastics, "AutoScales" will be cheaper for a while as long as these gas prices stay low? Being aware that we do race petrolium based products right? Petrolium equals plastics? Plastics equals AutoScales and chassis?

If recession equals cheap gas, sounds like recession is a good thing?

no recession is a bad thing

mikey
2008.11.25, 10:30 PM
The election is over, so they can lower their prices... they do not need to make people think bushes war raised their gas prices so they would vote for Obama.

did it work?

Rune
2008.11.26, 11:42 AM
Norway is the second largest oil exporter and third largest oil producing country in the world.

Here one gallon cost $ 7.13 as of today. It is a long time since the prices were that low.
The currency are making it look better than it is. For about three months ago the price for gas was about $ 10 a gallon.

Do you still think you can complain:p

cowboysir
2008.11.26, 11:57 AM

Only uninformed people believe that high gas prices were a result of Bush's war in Iraq. While it was a small part of it, speculators in the commodities market were the one driving prices up with their massive buying and selling of oil stock. Now that the market has cooled, there is less traffic in this commidity and prices have lowered.

In my view, part of the major problem with this market drop is the media's "doomsday" approach to news. While there are some major problems in our economy, it can be turned around to help level it off if people stop believing the fear mongering being pushed at you from all sides/channels on the TV. People have the belief that everything is going to come crashing down so they are holding on to their money...and part of the problem in our economy right now is that there is no money circulating because people are holding on to their money.

Wild and weird huh...people not spending money is what's helping the downward trend in the economy.:eek:

CristianTabush
2008.11.26, 03:40 PM
Great explanation cowboysir. I wish people would understand this. I hate the news for that reason. AAARRRRRGGGHHHH!!!

As for the prices of AutoScales, no they will never go down in price. The price increase is just a natural adjustmetn due to inflation and increasing costs of manufacturing/raw material. Seldom do you see a price go down after it has gone up in this industry.

marc
2008.11.26, 06:16 PM
That's a bumber considering the fact that some people have not been satisfied with the new hand-polished deal. We want the clear coating back!
Your hate for the news is one other reason I'm not a news watcher. But if you have cable access, BBC News is better as they are generally better informed than American news folk's and they tend to cater world wide and not just USA.
I still find news to be a sitcom rerun of John Doe got shot while getting food today and what not. Same crap every day makes you loose interest in it. Yes I know it's important to know what's going on in the world around you, but you know, some times you really don't want to know. And watching depressing sad news just makes you feel downer than the night before. If it ain't good news, it ain't profitable news and that sucks.

lugnutz
2008.11.26, 06:23 PM
news is just to depressing:(

now if it's mini-z news i'm all for it

marc
2008.11.26, 07:09 PM
news is just to depressing:(

now if it's mini-z news i'm all for it

"And in today's news, oil-prices are going down, but AutoScale prices going up?"

Flashsp-2
2008.11.26, 07:37 PM
In my view, part of the major problem with this market drop is the media's "doomsday" approach to news.

So we do finally agree on something after all :D

This issues with the economy run way deeper than what can be discussed on here, but speculation and investers who were essentially placing side bets were the root cause of most of the damage. Like CT said, you would have to had at least a year worth of econ classes just to break the surface of understanding the cycling of the economy. It's interesting stuff to be certain, at least for a business/econ nerd like me.

Gas prices out here in Japan (on base and off base are around $4-$4.50) are still unchanged, so I can't wait to get back and experience some of this $2 gas.

lugnutz
2008.11.26, 08:41 PM
"And in today's news, oil-prices are going down, but AutoScale prices going up?"

thats depressing news

how about new way to drive your mini-z without hitting walls by just thinking your way around the track:D