PDA

View Full Version : GPM Rubber Radial Tires

jcr
2008.11.30, 12:15 PM
Have anyone used the GPM Rubber radial tires before? They're either the same of similar to the tires on AtomicMods 10722. I've found some of these really cheap and was thinking it might be good for bashing or practicing.

EMU
2008.11.30, 12:54 PM
These were 'THE' tire a few years ago. The compounds started to vary, a lot. 8d tires felt like they were 30d, and then started to feel like they were very gummy. This prompted PN to start producing his own tire, which has more consistant compounds.

I would avoid the GPM tires, especially if they are a 'good deal'.

Rune
2008.11.30, 01:26 PM
On Regupol tracks, the most used rubber tire is GPM (25 & 30). They seem very consistent from batch to batch, but are sometimes a little hard to get.

jcr
2008.11.30, 02:16 PM
What is the rating on the stock MiniZ tires? I know they're extremely hard but want a reference because I am looking for something a bit softer but not too soft. Was thinking of going with 8 or 10 in the rear and 10 in the front (RCP track).

TALLGEESE
2008.11.30, 04:08 PM
What is the rating on the stock MiniZ tires? I know they're extremely hard but want a reference because I am looking for something a bit softer but not too soft. Was thinking of going with 8 or 10 in the rear and 10 in the front (RCP track).

I'm pretty sure that the stock tires that come with most Kyosho readysets and autoscales are 40 degree Kyosho's.. As far as the GPM tires go, we used to use the ribbed 8 degree GPM rears{part#MZ893AR08G}on our RCP track a while back and they were very good.. Beware using these tires though. As EMU said, they sometimes come mispackaged from the factory and even though the package says 8 degree, they'll sometimes actually be 25's or 30's..

jcr
2008.11.30, 04:10 PM
Did you use 8 degrees for all four tires or only the rears?

arch2b
2008.11.30, 04:16 PM
correct, gpm did themselves in with shoddy quality control. they had 'the' product and f'ed it all up with mislabeled goods, poor quality control, etc. now, you really can't be sure your buying what the label says as a result and that kind of mistrust can kill a company's reputation and selling power which is what i think you've seen happen to them as a result. i think it's fair to say that thre was also a drop in quality in their parts as well. i recall overland parts being among the most reported flawed out of the package.

Traveler
2008.11.30, 04:59 PM
I still have a pair of GPM 8 deg treaded rear tires on one of my modified MR-02s and they rock. What I like about them, unlike other brands, traction is maintained or even gets better as they ware. On RCP consider something harder in the front, 15 or 20 deg slicks.

Wasn't aware of the CQ issues mentioned. Really hate to hear it!

arch2b
2008.11.30, 05:08 PM
what made it worse was, gpm was clearancing htem so a few shops had them for very cheap at the same time. so there was a flood of product on the market that was unreliable at the same time. it left sour feelings with many people.

i agree though, they tended to get better the more you wore them out.

TALLGEESE
2008.11.30, 05:17 PM
Did you use 8 degrees for all four tires or only the rears?

We used the ribbed 8 degrees on the rear only.. I also have to agree with Traveler and Arch on these tires, they actually got more grip the more you ran on them..

jcr
2008.12.10, 11:03 PM
Just got two sets of GPM radial tires today. They don't look too bad. Time to try them out on Friday and I'll give feedback