PDA

View Full Version : possible to unwind and rewind motors?

davisdavis
2008.12.01, 07:16 AM
i was thinking if it is possible to unwind a motor like the Atomic Stock
and then rewind it with the same wire, take 2 to 3 turns away, and give it a better pattern, do you guys think it's feasible? :rolleyes:

what actually is the difference between ...let's say, ATM stock and ATM AD Stock ... except the later has fewer turns, i really dunno.. :p

Flashsp-2
2008.12.01, 04:42 PM
Yep, I do it all the time, that's how I sell my motors.

The main difference between motors of the same brand is typically the magnets and amount of wire, as well as the gauge of wire used. A Chili has a larger gauge magnet wire than the Stock-R. The PN motors are a bit different. The Anima II actually has a thinner neo magnet than most other mod motors, which explains the high speed and softer low end power than say a Chili or T2. The PN armatures are also a bit heavier, which has an effect on performance as well. Look at me, running on and on :D

davisdavis
2008.12.02, 10:38 AM
thanks !!

i'm not planning to make a motor that is much faster, as i have said, i jsut want to take 2 to 3 turns away, so if u reuse the wire, then there will be two points where the wire is stripped but becomes winded into the turns, is that ok? :rolleyes:

marc
2008.12.03, 09:50 PM
Can you fast forward and pause also? :D

ianc
2008.12.06, 06:14 PM
Just buy insulated motor wire and start fresh. Radio Shack has it in spools and it's quite cheap.

ianc

Action B
2008.12.15, 07:01 PM
I've often wondered about who might try this with an HFAY stock class motor. Of course a ridiculous wind would be obviously faster... but a slight gain might be harder to notice.

Skv012a
2008.12.23, 01:43 PM
How tedious/time consuming is this stuff and what results does it produce? Please feed the newbie some answers because I might want to try this thing on one of my Xmods motors as fodder. If it makes a significant difference, I might try it on my stock Z.

ianc
2008.12.23, 02:37 PM
Winding an armature is tedious and time-consuming. I probably spend about 2 hours doing it right. Depending on the mags and can, it can be the key to a very fast motor however. For awhile, Atomic Mods was selling X-Mod motors for $1.99 (they may still be), and I would buy them up 5 or 10 at a time solely for the armature to rewind, and just toss the rest.

It's not my favorite thing to do, but it's definitely worthwhile...

ianc

eztuner12
2009.01.19, 09:22 PM
Hi Gentlemen
If I have a Speedy 07 52T and unwind 15 turns would I accomplish a 37T motor??
Is this unwinding turns a wise thing to do?
Does a Speedy 05 have the same 52T as the speedy07?
Thxx so much for the help and advice.
Cheers

Felix2010
2009.01.20, 05:05 AM
Hello Richard - Unless I am mistaken, yes the Speedy 05 is 52t. I have not opened a Speedy 05, but the enamel wire used on most 50+ turn motors is smaller gauge than 37t motors. Removing 15t remove a Speedy 05 probably won't have the effect you're looking for.

eztuner12
2009.01.20, 09:07 AM
Hello Richard - Unless I am mistaken, yes the Speedy 05 is 52t. I have not opened a Speedy 05, but the enamel wire used on most 50+ turn motors is smaller gauge than 37t motors. Removing 15t remove a Speedy 05 probably won't have the effect you're looking for.

Thx for the reply Felix
I have install an Speedy 07 armature on a PN bb can with ATM neo-magnets and H-performance carbon brushes, in order to improve its power & speed and yes it did but not as much as I want, so I thought that if unwinding some turns would help.
Perhaps you know what should I espect, if I remuve the 15T to this 52T armature?
Again thxxx!!!
Cheers

Felix2010
2009.01.20, 09:54 AM
As Flashsp-2 said in the "motor parts" thread, the 52t armature rewound using the original wire to 37t would hurt the power of the motor. The thin wire used for 50+ turn arms isn't really suited for 37t, with or without Neos. The small comm on the Speedy 05 hurts low-end torque even more.
I would follow Flash's recommends, he is an expert on motors and motor winding. For rewinding the Speedy arm, 28AWG wire would produce very nice specs for both Rpm & torque and is what I recommend also.
If you would like to use use the original wire from the Speedy arm, I would go maybe to 45t if you want a bit more speed, and use the original Speedy ferrite magnets. Again, the original wire wouldn't pair well with Neos, the wire won't handle enough juice.

eztuner12
2009.01.20, 10:13 AM
As Flashsp-2 said in the "motor parts" thread, the 52t armature rewound using the original wire to 37t would hurt the power of the motor. The thin wire used for 50+ turn arms isn't really suited for 37t, with or without Neos. The small comm on the Speedy 05 hurts low-end torque even more.
I would follow Flash's recommends, he is an expert on motors and motor winding. For rewinding the Speedy arm, 28AWG wire would produce very nice specs for both Rpm & torque and is what I recommend also.
If you would like to use use the original wire from the Speedy arm, I would go maybe to 45t if you want a bit more speed, and use the original Speedy ferrite magnets. Again, the original wire wouldn't pair well with Neos, the wire won't handle enough juice.

Perfect, very clear expose.
Thx U and Flashsp-2 for the very cordial helpful advise to my inquire.
I will first follow thru by unwinding 5T in line to accomplish the 47T suggested, as well as go back to the OM magnets. In the case I am not satisfy, then I will go to RS and get some 28g wire and try to do my best, winding it my self, both the Speedy 07 and 05 I have here, there wont be a lost, since I donít use them what so ever, they are too slow:(.
Iíll let you know the outcome, for the record ok?
Again thanks to both:);)
Cheers

eztuner12
2009.01.20, 11:48 AM
Ok! I unwind the 05 armature and it had 42T, no specific winding pattern and the wire was interrupt, it seems the wire was short and they continued winding with another piece of wire same Gauge wire.
What you Gentlemen recommend
1. Use same 2 piece of wire or use a new wire?
2. What winding pattern should I follow? Since there was non-specific winding pattern.
3. When I measure the copper wire that came with the armature on my Digit Caliper, it measured 0.34mm; I have a silver wire that measures 0.44mm can I use this silver 0.44mm, if yes, how many turns do you recommend?
Thank U!
Cheers