PDA

View Full Version : Spinning out

jcr
2008.12.13, 01:48 AM
I got a MR-02MM with the FXX body, it is pretty much box stock. I am having an issue with on throttle spinning out. Like I would exit a turn and as soon as I get on the throttle it would like to fish tail around. I already got softer tires and still having the problem. Any suggestions on solving this? Was thinking maybe get a ball diff or get a better radio where I can adjust the throttle sensitivity? Any suggestion would be great.

totalazneclipse
2008.12.13, 06:51 AM
You can try to put some grease in the stock gear diff if you don't have the ball diff yet. Also I would get a spring set and a H plate set. There's a thread here that has a list of mods to do for your MR-02 starting with the most important to get you going.

*Edit*

Here is the post about upgrades:
http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22708

And here is another thread on the issue you were asking about:
http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28776&highlight=upgrade

P.S. I am not trying to be mean or anything, but try using the search function on the forum here. It's really good and you can find so much information here on the boards.

And the best thing about it, is the people that are apart of this. They're super nice.

Good luck and have fun with your Z

Azooboy
2008.12.14, 07:51 PM
Hello
JCR
You may have found a solution to your problem but just in case, you could try this before you start spending money.
Check you rear wheels, and make sure they are tight specially on the side of the differential. That last wheel may remain loose no matter how hard you press on the Lock-nut. However you can use a shim and insert it on top of the bearing (Between dif and nut). That will keep the wheel tight, make sure the differential remains smooth.
I also recommend you use Lock-nuts with wheel-lock.
Hope it helps.

Hekyl
2009.01.07, 11:34 AM
Wrenching on your wheel nuts "especially" the diff side adds waaaay too much pressure on the thrust bearing. I guarantee over tightening the wheel nut will not only damage the thrust bearing but affect the ball differentials performance. Spin your rear wheel independently. Does it spin buttery smooth or does it feel like metal on metal grinding? Crunch.

boroEF
2009.01.07, 02:44 PM
i'm not so sure that packing the diff with grease will work in this case--a packed rear diff slows down turn in action, but with the application of throttle during mid corner or corner exit, it send more power to the outside wheel, furthering the issue of swapping the rear end around.

I'd switch to a softer rear end, or get tires suitable for the surface of which you drive on. Is it RCP, or carpet, or something else?

A tire being soft does not necessarily mean greater traction (ie: using carpet tires on rcp :D)

Also, throttle control! roll onto the gas rather than stab it--especially if it's a low traction condition.

Megabyte
2009.01.08, 03:21 AM
Wrenching on your wheel nuts "especially" the diff side adds waaaay too much pressure on the thrust bearing. I guarantee over tightening the wheel nut will not only damage the thrust bearing but affect the ball differentials performance. Spin your rear wheel independently. Does it spin buttery smooth or does it feel like metal on metal grinding? Crunch.
I'm a newb, just picked up my MR-02 RM last week. I also have this problem. The wheel on the diff side goes crunch, crunch. What's the solution?

thanks.

sillyrabbit72
2009.01.08, 09:42 AM
i just ordered my first mini-z yesterday but i have raced 1/10 EP Touring cars for years and when i have had this problem an easy fix was to soften up the rear end a little then use tires that have really high grip on the surface you are racing on in the back then a harder compound in the front.... all that stuff together normally does the trick.... if that helps a bunch but doesn't entirely fix the issue then find the rough average throttle you give the car coming out of the turn and adjust your throttle curve so that the initial acceleration is a little softer.... hope that helps

Hekyl
2009.01.08, 11:52 AM
You may need to replace the thrust bearing which is the bearing that goes in between your wheel and spur gear. You could also try this before replacing... Remove the bearing. Clean with a degreaser and lightly lubricate with light oil. When putting on your wheels lightly tighten wheel nuts.

Megabyte
2009.01.08, 01:05 PM
thanks, I will definitely try this tonight.

sillyrabbit72
2009.01.09, 08:16 AM
after you try this stuff tell us if it helps fix it.... if that didnt work i got a couple mroe tricks up my sleeve...

dvsstrike
2009.01.10, 09:13 AM
if your saying the stock gear diff is crunching you probably have broken spider gears in it. that would also cause a spinning out effect on the model. try replacing the diff assembly with an atomic v2 ball diff or if money is tight a 3 racing one. but also check that outside bearing but i highly doubt it