PDA

View Full Version : Computer upgradeing and Itunes shopping

marc
2008.12.14, 10:31 PM
Hello there. What are your experiences with Itunes and shopping in their store?
I've noticed they have a ton, and I mean a ton of new and classic movie's and tv shows available now. However, are their prices worth it?
I'm hoping to get a new computer for Xmas, or at least a new hard-drive for my current computer that has 1TB of space. I'm wondering if it's worth shopping Itunes to load up your computer with computer-ready movies?
The computer I'm looking at getting, or what's on my wish-list I should say, is an HP Pravilion desk top with a 1TB hard-drive, 6GB memory, and an Intel Core 2 processor.

I've got alot of great movies and tv show's on DVD, but there is no real way of ripping theme for use on the computer which by the way is a Window's Vista computer.

So the question being, what do you guy's think?
My current computer is a Sony Vaio PCV-RZ26G which was hot stuff a few years ago. It's got 160GB, and 1GB Ram which was upgraded to 2GB. I'm already pushing it to it's limites. I've also upgraded to Vista, but learned that Vista eat's up about 1GB of ram. My computers playback, especially video, is a bit choppy and glitchy.

I've been told that my video card could be an issue, not sure what was included in it, or that I don't have enough RAM. I noticed when the computer is not doing anything else in the background, vid is okay, music is smooth. When it's buisy, both get choppy and music sounds like the needle skips the groove.

Any advice on computer upgrades, or Itunes shopping?
I'd like to have as large a hard drive as possible and have an entire DVD collection on it ready to go. With Itunes, it's already what, MP4 ready which can be stored and played on your computer, then downloaded to Ipod?

I really dont' play video games much, except for maybe mind-games and puzzle-games like Bejeweled 2, Pool, Tetris, stuff like that. But I do want silky smooth video and music playback.

One more thing, when I play my Itunes movies, the sound keeps on coming, but the video lag's behind. What could be cause of this? True with both DVD ripped files and Itune-bought files.

Any help would be appreciated. I use my computer practically 24/7 and want something smooth. Should I try and get this HP Pravilion with the 1TB hard-drive, 6GB memory, and Intel Core 2 processor?

Is the cost of Itunes comparable to store bought DVD's?

okoye
2008.12.14, 10:40 PM
get the new computer and my advice is get rid of vista its nothing but trouble.

HammerZ
2008.12.15, 02:32 AM
I remember back when my old Pentium III (933khz) Gateway was hot stuff. But now with the bitrates some of these video files now run, you need at least a 2ghz chipset.

I never messed with itunes much, but I did install the Quicktime add on as I am always running video clips and such.

I bought The Dark Knight DVD this weekend, the single disk package with the digital copy code to download from the site. That file was a 2.51GB size, yes GB not MB. Even with a DSL it took over ten hours to download it to my computer. It was worth it as it has far more detail than the DVD has for sure.

My new Dell is a cheap off the shelf Wal Mart system. The ram is DDRx2 4GB, four slots with 1GB each. The hard drive is a 250GB size. The thing I hate is it's only a 32 bit system processor. Still runs those vids well enough. OS Vista home basic.

You don't need to worry about the large hard drives, as you can always add on an external usb drive for those movies and such. This way if you have more than one system you can move them over easy enough. If you go for the cheaper system you can always get those add ons.

marc
2008.12.15, 11:07 AM
I am the only member in the household who is interested in movies and music. My Dad has no interest in such things. So my goal is to keep everything in one unit. My Dad had even suggested an external hard drive, but I'd rather keep everything in one package.
I'm not yet sure on my computer's bit-rate system, but let's presume it's no where near this new HP I'm interested in.

As far as Vista, I kind of like it. The only thing that annoy's me about it is that it keeps asking permission to do stuff, which is good for security reasons, but annoying. I think since this new HP comes with Vista, I dont' think it would be a good idea to down-grade.
Another thing I'd like to do which I heard Vista is capable of doing, is to watch and record my tv programs. I also wonder how much those recordings tape up space.
I was wondering about the size of the new DVD's that come with the new free digital copy. I'm amazed their THAT BIG! 2.51GB's? Geepers! That alone could be a reason for needing a TB size hard-drive!

As for worrying about the large hard drive, I've got mine pushed to it's limits, so I really think that HP is the computer for me. I just gotta convince Dad about it.

So, if the free digital copy is 2.51GB in size, how big is the Itunes version?
Oh, I forgot to mention, this new HP I'm interested in IS Blue-Ray capable!

marc
2008.12.15, 05:04 PM
I think the first step is to see if my computer could actually be upgraded further with larger hard-drive and more RAM. I think those two upgrades will make it a hot machine.
It already does a fair job.

HammerZ
2008.12.17, 10:44 AM
I am the only member in the household who is interested in movies and music. My Dad has no interest in such things. So my goal is to keep everything in one unit. My Dad had even suggested an external hard drive, but I'd rather keep everything in one package.

This is why I like an external drive. Good for a shared computer. This can save alot of space on the main system hard drive. Me I am a download freak myself.

As far as Vista, I kind of like it. The only thing that annoy's me about it is that it keeps asking permission to do stuff, which is good for security reasons, but annoying. I think since this new HP comes with Vista, I dont' think it would be a good idea to down-grade.

I was wondering about the size of the new DVD's that come with the new free digital copy. I'm amazed their THAT BIG! 2.51GB's? Geepers! That alone could be a reason for needing a TB size hard-drive!

As for worrying about the large hard drive, I've got mine pushed to it's limits, so I really think that HP is the computer for me. I just gotta convince Dad about it.

So, if the free digital copy is 2.51GB in size, how big is the Itunes version?

I have no idea on the itunes version as I got the one for WMP. The copy was not free as I had to pay $2.99 for it. Just without the code you would pay full price for it. I now have to break down and buy some DVD-Rs to save stuff now.

I figure if I wanted a computer that run TB's, I would be rendering the Transformers for the movie:confused:.

marc
2008.12.31, 09:38 PM
I'm right now looking at bringing my computer back to stock XP and looking at a 2TB external hard drive system. I found one at Micro-Center for less than 400 bucks. it's actually two 1TB hard drives built into one case with USB connection to computer. Advantage to external's is their universal and it doesnt care what type of hard drive it is. Have not been able to find a large enough internal unit for my system, so external it will be.

MINIz guy11
2008.12.31, 09:55 PM
If you're going to have so much HD space, why settle for a slow USB connection?

marc
2008.12.31, 11:34 PM
Because of the age of my computer, I have not yet found a 1TB internal hard drive that will work with my computer. It's got something to do with SATA type hard drive versus older style ATA type hard drive. My Sony Vaio is ATA type. If I can find a large enough internal hard drive, than yea I'd much rather have that. But right now, it seems that an external one is the only way to go, especially for this large amount of space.
As I've discovered downloading movies from Itunes, just purchased four of Adam Sandler movies, that each movie is about 2GB's in size and so my 160GB hard drive is already at it's limits.
I've just purchased the following from Itunes.
Happy Gilmore, my fav'
Big Daddy
Billy Madison, okay movie, not his best but has some funny bit's in it.
and The Wedding Singer, could have done better without Drew Berymore.
I plan on really loading it up with movies!

HammerZ
2008.12.31, 11:38 PM
I have never known a USB connection to be that slow. Those are the most common plug ins there are these days. Also good to share stuff with a laptop as well. That is if you have a desktop and a laptop.

Are those Itunes movies able to be run on other computers? I ask that as the films I downloaded from another source will only play on this computer. I can burn them to a disk and play them on here. But any other computer it will not play. Something with the license.

Alot of these new systems you can easily add a second internal hard drive to them. I found that out while digging around my new Dell while installing a new 3.5 muli card reader on it. But I am not going to mess with that yet. This system had it's backup built into the hard drive, so outright HD replacement isn't a good idea. My old Gateway you have to use a boot disk set to bring it back up, then install the operating system.

marc
2008.12.31, 11:46 PM
This is the unit I'm interested in for my Sony Vaio PCV-RZ26G.
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0291695
My computer is now about 4 years old and still run's great. I think my only regret is upgrading it to Vista as I lost some of it's original features like the GigaPocket tv recorder it had.
I think I've lost the original computer restore disc's but did find a set of Sony Vaio restore discs and not sure if it's for my particular model or not. The model number on the disc is different than on my computer, but Dad think's it might be generic for the model series, not specific for my model.
I can not find original restore discs. Without that, not sure how to go back to it's stock configuration with the features I had on it when brand new. I could get an XP disc and restore it that way, but I will still lose the features it came with.
Any suggestions?
Anyway, USB is very fast I think. It work's great for uploading and downloading from my Ipod. But I still dont' think it'll be as fast as an internal one, which is why I hope I can find a 1TB size internal hard drive for my computer.

MINIz guy11
2009.01.01, 12:14 AM
I've always thought that IEEE 1394 was faster than a regular USB connection for data transfer. I'm not sure about this, so don't quote me.

For your drivers issue, why not go to Sony's support and ask them for another CD, or download all the drivers yourself?

marc
2009.01.01, 12:36 AM
That is a possibility.

Just found theme all under Sony's e-support web site including some very usefull information about my computer. So, while it may take all day or two day's even, I will be able to rebuild my computer back to stock, but with the upgraded 2GB RAM and hopefully the larger hard drive.

marc
2009.01.15, 04:24 PM
An update. My computer is now back to XP and running faster than ever. We merged the two halfs of the hard drive together for one large 160GB hard drive instead of the two seperate partitians. I still have about 90GB's left to go!
XP runs very fast with 2GB RAM as it only requires a few MB's.
Still have some issues with the computer. The Gigapocket hardware does not work, and the internal audio card does not work. The computer see's it's there, but it can't run it even with the most up to date drivers. So will need to save up for a better audio/video card.
Is there a card that is a combination of both audio/video that has a tv tuner? I think my computer was one of the first to offer a tv tuner and Tivo type recorder. I'd like to have that feature back.
I've noticed that Vista is going to be absolute and a new windows is coming soon?

MINIz guy11
2009.01.15, 06:15 PM
Surely there is something wrong software related if your computer cannot make use of what it cn physically detect. No need for new parts.

What I would do is to uninstall all software for the devices, clear out everything from it and reinstall.

marc
2009.01.15, 06:26 PM
Pretty much already did that when going back to XP as it didn't work when we upgraded from XP to Vista we had same problems. Right now I'm useing an external SoundBlaster audio card which works well and I still get video playback. But, the Gigapocket thing aint' working.

HammerZ
2009.01.15, 10:15 PM
I have a problem with my scanner. My Vista system I don't have a driver for it. I also went to the manufacture webpage to see if there is one, I guess it's just too old a model. That's why I need my other XP system to run it. A new computer like this one I don't think it's good to downgrade it to XP. Vista is good once you chase all the adware out of it.

marc
2009.01.16, 11:02 AM
Since my computer started off as XP, that's why I went back to it. It seems to run much better. I've got a new Epson Stylus RX680 all in one printer and it work's great! It's fast, it's high-def, and prints beautifully!
It also has the ability to print directly onto CD labels and covers as well and can print directly off a memory stick.