PDA

View Full Version : CORE Speedway on MS Vista?

Action B
2009.01.03, 12:48 PM
I'm trying to run core speedway on my laptop. The program SEEMS to have loaded just fine, however, my computer does not recognize the core speedway lapcounter because I have no driver to run it. Does anyone have the appropriate core speedway drivers for the USB device?

Any help would be appreciated. I'd like to get this working.

arch2b
2009.01.03, 12:59 PM
i'm following this with interest as my new laptop has vista and i have yet to get the loop and my computer in the same place.

kryten
2009.01.03, 01:04 PM
Have you tried the CORE site? Also are you running 32bit or 64bit vista? I only ask because i have vista64 on my desktop,tho i dont really use it atm as hardly anything USB works on it even microsoft stuff! so much so that i have gone back to xp until they sort out the lack of support.

arch2b
2009.01.03, 01:11 PM
i have 32bit. i recall core coming with xp drivers but that doesn't help vista owners maybe?

byebye
2009.01.03, 01:31 PM
I run core on my 32bit vista laptop. I think I might have had to install the USB to serial driver but it did it automatically. I've ran it like this for aboutna year and the only issue I get is when you run windows media player during a race. Then it just stops counting.

Kris

kryten
2009.01.03, 01:34 PM
I'm not sure if the same driver will work,tho the wife has 32bit vista on her laptop and i've yet to find anything that doesnt work on it that worked on xp too.

Action B
2009.01.03, 01:58 PM
i have 32bit. i recall core coming with xp drivers but that doesn't help vista owners maybe?

Can anyone post up the xp drivers for me or send them to my email? I don't think i have them and you know, Cores website has been down.

To this date, all XP software has worked on my computer even if it wasn't labeled vista compatible.

pinwc4
2009.01.03, 05:12 PM
If the driver is the only problem grab it from FTDI's website. The Core driver is just for the FTDI USB->Serial adapter that is used in the lapcounter.

I think this is the correct driver:
http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM%202.04.06.exe

But I do not have Vista so there may be other problems.

Action B
2009.01.03, 05:45 PM
If the driver is the only problem grab it from FTDI's website. The Core driver is just for the FTDI USB->Serial adapter that is used in the lapcounter.

I think this is the correct driver:
http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM%202.04.06.exe

But I do not have Vista so there may be other problems.

Perfect, I'll try it soon. I'm away from home right now. thanks a lot.

arch2b
2009.01.03, 05:59 PM
straight from the core manual

2. Software Setup
2.1 IMPORTANT! Make sure you update the Windows XP USB drivers to the latest
version. Install the Windows Service Packs, SP1 and SP2.
2.2 Go to the Control Panel -> Device Manager to view your hardware devices. You
should see the new USB device if it has been detected properly.
2.3 If a “?” appears next to the device, use the included drivers in the
CoreSpeedway/winxp directory and update the device driver by clicking on the device
and manually update the driver.
2.4 You should unzip the program contents into your “Program Files” directory.
2.5 Launch the Core software (core-racer.exe). There will be about a 10 second delay
before the software window appears. The LED light on the unit should blink during this
time period. If the main window does not appear, the auto detection did not find your
system. You can manually specify the port number of the device by using the “-port”
switch followed by the port number, i.e., “core-racer.exe -port 3”.

Action B
2009.01.03, 07:19 PM
straight from the core manual

Thanks, I don't have the manual...nor do I completely understand what its sayhing anyhow lol.

arch2b
2009.01.03, 07:23 PM
Thanks, I don't have the manual.

here they are

Action B
2009.01.03, 08:06 PM
here they are

Thanks a lot! I'll tell you how it goes when I get back to Virginia beach

Action B
2009.01.05, 05:59 AM
Just tested the core speedway on my laptop. So far it works perfectly with no problems. I tested it multiple times. In fact, I didn't even need the driver posted by pinwc4. I never plugged in the core lapcounter box when connected to the internet until this last time. When I hooked it up it automatically installed the drivers from microsoft update.

In conclusion: YES, core speedway works with MS Vista.

briankstan
2009.01.05, 08:15 AM
Good to hear, Now I won't need to worry about it when I eventually do get a new laptop. :)

arch2b
2009.01.05, 07:48 PM
thanks, thats a huge relief.

racer_18x
2010.01.29, 11:44 PM
I cant seem to get it to work, when i double click on the icon it shows the startup then nothing.

I am running on Vista. I also try running it using the prompt set core-racer.exe -portXX but it does not work.

Any help is useful

arch2b
2010.01.30, 08:25 AM
on xp, when i can't get it to recognize the unit at all, i usually have to set the serial converter to com port 7.

Action B
2010.01.30, 12:18 PM
I cant seem to get it to work, when i double click on the icon it shows the startup then nothing.

I am running on Vista. I also try running it using the prompt set core-racer.exe -portXX but it does not work.

Any help is useful

How did you install the drivers? I just plugged it in and let it update the driver itself over the internet automatically. I had no luck with the file posted earlier in this thread.

If you don't have the driver installed it will do just what you are saying.

racer_18x
2010.01.31, 05:47 PM
on xp, when i can't get it to recognize the unit at all, i usually have to set the serial converter to com port 7.

i'll give this a try later. the problem happens only when i want to run the core speedway software but when i run the flipside hfay software everything is fine. hope your solution will help.

racer_18x
2010.01.31, 05:48 PM
How did you install the drivers? I just plugged it in and let it update the driver itself over the internet automatically. I had no luck with the file posted earlier in this thread.

If you don't have the driver installed it will do just what you are saying.

i installed the driver as advice. let windows update install it thru the net.