PDA

View Full Version : Servo Wires

MINIz guy11
2009.01.05, 05:00 PM
Well, I've been needing replacement servo wires for my Overland for quite a while. Best I've found was 25' of 26AWG wire from B P H O B B I E S. My next stop was to check if McMaster-Carr had any, as I know they have a lot of industrial supplies recommended my computer guys. To my surprise, they do have it, and in reasonable quantities!

Here are the specifications. Does anybody think they will do?

Description: Continuous-Flex Miniature - Ideal for use in thermostats, electronic applications, circuitry control, and wherever continuous flexing is required. This small-gauge hook-up wire is very limp and flexible which minimizes kinking and fatigue. Resists acids, oils, and solvents.
Volts: 600 VAC
Amps: 1.25
Conductor Material: Copper
Conductor Insulation Materia: PVC
Outside diameter: .042"
Part #: 7071K191
Price: 1-99 Ft. $1.12 per Ft.
Colors: Black, White, Red, Green

briankstan
2009.01.05, 05:04 PM
Make sure you get stranded wire. as the solid copper will break as the wire flexes.

the wire described above will work fine. :)

MINIz guy11
2009.01.05, 05:28 PM
Conductor Type: Stranded

:) They have quite a lot of different wires to choose from, I bet some very high grade motor wires could be found here too.

mikey
2009.01.05, 07:20 PM
would the wires in ethernet cables work?

i know i have some cat5 cables and the wires inside the cables are stranded...

EMU
2009.01.05, 07:21 PM
I mainly use IDE wire to connect the OL and MZM servos. Has worked perfectly for me every time.

briankstan
2009.01.05, 07:26 PM
I mainly use IDE wire to connect the OL and MZM servos. Has worked perfectly for me every time.

that's a good IDEa..... lol

MINIz guy11
2009.02.18, 09:26 PM
IDE wire does sound like it would work, but I don't have an extra one or am willing to rip apart a desktop for a cable. Plus, this wire would look much more cleaner and isn't that expensive.

I've been using telephone wire, but I really think it is too thin to be of any use. I sometimes have lag through the steering, and I'm guess it is due to the wires not being able to put up with the demand (although small) of the servo motor/pot.

Edit: I finally bought some of this wire from McMaster. Great shipping, it only took one day. Only downside was that the shipping was as much as the wire itself.

With how well the wire works, I have to say it is some of the more flexible wire I've ever used! It is right up there with ph2t's Woah Nelly motor and battery wires. I had a very hard time putting my Overland back together tonight, and no matter how much I bent the wire, it showed no signs of breaking at the solder joints!

It is well worth the money for anybody needing wire!

Action B
2009.02.24, 06:04 AM
would the wires in ethernet cables work?

i know i have some cat5 cables and the wires inside the cables are stranded...

My friend has recommended this to me. He says it works well.

eztuner12
2009.02.26, 01:11 AM
Hi MINIz guy11,
You can use the wires that come with hobby type micro servos, those that are red, black & white or brown orange and red. They are very flexible, thin and with plenty of filaments to accomplish a superb conduction. I swap my MA-010 servo wires (pot & motor) with them and man you can notice the difference immediately you test it
Cheers

MINIz guy11
2009.02.26, 07:22 AM
Servo wire does work, and I was looking for that from B P H O B B I E S. I just couldn't find it in small quantities, so I had to buy the wire from McMaster.