PDA

View Full Version : Reinforceing Weak Bodies???

MiamizFinest
2009.01.16, 11:36 AM
Ok so last night there was a race at my LHS A&E Hobbyware house in miami fl and i kept haveing problems with my body pooping off, in every heat and the main race if i took a bad hit my body would blow CLEAR OFF i was useing the DBR9 body and i gotta say it runs very well and i cant complain as far as the car/body and the set up goes but i find the sides of the body flex to much and are too flimsy compare to my older mclaren f1 body.

I was thinking about useing goop on the sides of the car to reinforce it a little in hopes the body wont fly off so easily, i was wondering if any of you got a better idea you could share???

What have you guys done in my situation?

yasuji
2009.01.16, 11:51 AM
Ok so last night there was a race at my LHS A&E Hobbyware house in miami fl and i kept haveing problems with my body pooping off, in every heat and the main race if i took a bad hit my body would blow CLEAR OFF i was useing the DBR9 body and i gotta say it runs very well and i cant complain as far as the car/body and the set up goes but i find the sides of the body flex to much and are too flimsy compare to my older mclaren f1 body.

I was thinking about useing goop on the sides of the car to reinforce it a little in hopes the body wont fly off so easily, i was wondering if any of you got a better idea you could share???

What have you guys done in my situation?
check reflexracing.net they have a body mounting system

hrdrvr
2009.01.16, 12:39 PM
^ My thought exactly!
http://www.reflexracing.net/proddetail.asp?prod=RX110

briankstan
2009.01.16, 12:55 PM
easiest fix it some packing tape to hold the body on. If you don't like that route, I'd suggest the body mount as well.

some bodies are better than other, sounds like the DBR9 is similar to the 575 GTC body. if you look at it funny it pops off. :eek:

JuniorWKR
2009.01.16, 01:56 PM
the easiest and cheapest way is to use tape... the mounting kit is real sharp but if ur in a race and for some crazy reason (like getting someone elses tire stuck in ur car) ur screwed as far as being able to do a quick pit...

boroEF
2009.01.16, 02:04 PM
I think goop is the only way without going to mounting systems as posted.

I'm about to do the same to my 575..

x_zminiracer
2009.01.16, 03:45 PM
we use a little scotch tape, works well for the MR's but not so good for MA10

Skv012a
2009.01.16, 05:06 PM
I would just add some lego mounts (ee my thrad in custom bodies) on top of side clips and it might be in good shape. Keep in mind that without the body popping off, your chassis will take all the damage and IMO I'd use a slighltly more rigid body to cut your chassis some slack instead of hard-mounting the body.

MiamizFinest
2009.01.16, 06:37 PM
I would just add some lego mounts (ee my thrad in custom bodies) on top of side clips and it might be in good shape. Keep in mind that without the body popping off, your chassis will take all the damage and IMO I'd use a slighltly more rigid body to cut your chassis some slack instead of hard-mounting the body.

That ship has sailed, my car was hit so hard the front of the chassis is tweak'd

Before i start rebuilding the car this week and make a few changed to my set up, ill have to change the chassis first

Thanks for the info and the link to the reflex racing set up, but the thought of having to extra holes in my DBR8 body makes my hairs stand up on end (HAHAHA) ima try the goop and hope for the best ill post pics on the results

Skv012a
2009.01.16, 07:56 PM
Then try Legos and maybe some styrene tubes as an inner frame. Glue with kyosho glue if you haven't already.

lfisminiz
2009.01.16, 09:58 PM
For racing, in my opinon, the easy way to do it is TAPE the body on. You can get clear tape and you cant even see it on the track. ;)

joey
2009.01.17, 12:57 AM
the easiest and cheapest way is to use tape... the mounting kit is real sharp but if ur in a race and for some crazy reason (like getting someone elses tire stuck in ur car) ur screwed as far as being able to do a quick pit...

haha that was a good one,

straping tape is the easiest route for keeping a body on i usually tape it in the area near the clips

MiamizFinest
2009.01.19, 05:49 PM
Well guys, i gooped my body and hopefully once it dryes it will be nice and sturdy i used some drywall mesh to help realyl stiffen things up and this is what i came up with

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p12/miazfinest187/P1010289-8.jpg

Here is the Mesh secured to the body

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p12/miazfinest187/P1010290-6.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p12/miazfinest187/P1010292-8.jpg

Gooped and ready to go

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p12/miazfinest187/P1010294-7.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p12/miazfinest187/P1010295-7.jpg

Hopefully once this dries it will really help secure the body to the chassis, ill let you guys know how much stiffer the body feels once it dries and how it holds up on the track with other racers

BTW the tape idea didnt sound bad at all, but what tape are you guys useing that isnt gonig to rip decals and paint of the body??

color01
2009.01.19, 07:14 PM
3M Scotch tape is too weak to rip decals off the body. It stays there simply because the leverage from the chassis/body pulls the tape inwards and not off. :) A lot of the fast bodies (DBR9, '07 350Z, etc.) are very flexible, as I've noticed, and tape is almost necessary for racing with them.

eztuner12
2009.01.19, 07:39 PM
We do that same fix on the 1/5 scale bodies, using Shoo Goo glue and the fiber glass look like screen material roll, used on floor carpeting, it is a screen like material similar to that one you are using. It really prevents those massive bodies to crack or break when hit.
Cheers

MiamizFinest
2009.01.19, 08:28 PM
We do that same fix on the 1/5 scale bodies, using Shoo Goo glue and the fiber glass look like screen material roll, used on floor carpeting, it is a screen like material similar to that one you are using. It really prevents those massive bodies to crack or break when hit.
Cheers

Thats actually where my idea for it came from, i use to own a FG sportsline and the accord body was worn up from the floor up, it has several paches on it similar to my DBR9 body keep it held together

Its bein about 3 hours since i didnt my goop job, so far so good geting firmer by the minute

Jace1283
2009.01.20, 06:34 PM
noticed your lip is still on, what kind of a track do you race on?

i race on rcp with other cars and lips tend to be bad for 3 reasons:
-they start cracks easy which travel pretty far.
-they put more force on the front of the car when it hits something
-it grabs the walls and tosses the car sideways. may cause cracks if it happens enough

what do you guys think?

MiamizFinest
2009.01.21, 12:31 PM
noticed your lip is still on, what kind of a track do you race on?

i race on rcp with other cars and lips tend to be bad for 3 reasons:
-they start cracks easy which travel pretty far.
-they put more force on the front of the car when it hits something
-it grabs the walls and tosses the car sideways. may cause cracks if it happens enough

what do you guys think?

I race on a RCP track too, and i agree 100% with that front lip issue but on the DBR9 ive found it to be an exeption the front lip its pretty thick and the hole front end of the car is stiff ass a rock so i did not see a need to cut the front lip

also the front lip on the DBR9 body sits pretty high, when i hits corners it doesnt grab on it just bounces off, on my 350Z body i had to rip that front lip off on the first use becuase it would grap the corners of and spin the car around, but on this body it has not bein a issue at all so i left it on