PDA

View Full Version : 2.4GHZ = ridiculous difference

boroEF
2009.01.16, 12:41 PM
I just convered to 2.4 as per the advice of my local shop owner and gave it a whirl.

The difference it made over the standard AM board is immense!

On top of it's glitch free advantage, the 2.4 conversion yields:

A perfectly still servo at neutral position -- no more twitching!
Super fast steering response--not only is steering response quick, but it is so, so, so precise. Any minute change in input is reflected in the car--much easier to drive

Amazing throttle control--because the controller can be programmed, the throttle curve can be tuned. In layman terms--if for example you pull the throttle really quickly, on a standard car you'd break rear traction. This remote can be tuned such that even if you pull the trigger really fast, the gas is gradually applied on the car.

Steering EPA--end point adjustments can be independantly adjusted for both left and right steering trims!

best advantage -- everything can be tuned via computer. Steering speed/response, throttle punch/curves, drag brake, reverse speed etc.

I know this has been brought up before, but I'd like to reiterate and stress the advantage of swapping over to 2.4.

My old fastest lap time was 11.4 and the new fastest lap is 9.6
As you can see, the difference is really, really huge. The car is so much more controllable, responds much more like a 1/10 scale would. Although you still have to be careful with throttle/steering inputs, the precision of the entire system makes it a lot more intuitive to drive. It transformed my car from a almost difficult to control vehicle, requiring a good deal of concentration to something much easier, more consistent and faster to drive.

I didn't think switching to a new system would bring such an enormous change. But to everyone who races/interested in racing: this is very, very important. I'd say the difference is equivalent of changing from stock hard tires to 20 degree tires. It's huge.

mini-z
2009.01.16, 04:09 PM
Congrats on your upgrade boroEF - agreed! :)

Jace1283
2009.01.20, 06:42 PM
i've not been quite as happy with 2.4, but getting a helios and ditching the KT-18 has made it much better. i like the no twitch, no antenna in your line of sight, more power from 2.4 board, hate the reverse delay. I have a AM board which must have been blessed with holy water or something because it never glitches and leads my xmod to victories over ma010s, haha, I like that board better than my 2.4ghz. You guys need to remember that the improved lap times are coming mostly from increases power from the upgraded FETs on the 2.4. It's tough, if you are not hating your AM car, i'd say just upgrade the FETs, if you can't in your club, you're kinda stuck with having to get 2.4 just for the FETs.

totalazneclipse
2009.01.25, 02:37 AM
The increased power is because the 2.4 uses 4 FETS instead of the AM having only 2 out of the box. The 2.4's reverse delay can be frustrating in the heat of racing, but I guess you can say that's the trade off for having a glitch free system.

x_zminiracer
2009.01.25, 08:01 PM
i've not been quite as happy with 2.4, but getting a helios and ditching the KT-18 has made it much better. i like the no twitch, no antenna in your line of sight, more power from 2.4 board, hate the reverse delay. I have a AM board which must have been blessed with holy water or something because it never glitches and leads my xmod to victories over ma010s, haha, I like that board better than my 2.4ghz. You guys need to remember that the improved lap times are coming mostly from increases power from the upgraded FETs on the 2.4. It's tough, if you are not hating your AM car, i'd say just upgrade the FETs, if you can't in your club, you're kinda stuck with having to get 2.4 just for the FETs.

Pi-sh Ta, the fet's help sure but so dose the increase in controllability. You are so used to that Zbrick lol that when you get your hands on a real guidance system it overwhelms you :p Now c mon that so called xmod (heavily modified and 'heavy') :rolleyes: manages to pull a win in the final but it never out qualifies the MA10's :D yellow is the lucky color for that xmod and also the color of those car stops blocks in the front of parking spaces.
on my practice track my MA10 AM board did 115 laps or so, now that I have it upgraded to 2.4 gig its turning 141. also note my am board was stack 3x2 with aberrant nabs fet's. so much for the fet's making all the difference IMO

tongho
2009.01.25, 09:09 PM
The increased power is because the 2.4 uses 4 FETS instead of the AM having only 2 out of the box. The 2.4's reverse delay can be frustrating in the heat of racing, but I guess you can say that's the trade off for having a glitch free system.

Yupe, there are 4 FETS instaed of 2 FETS from AM board. because the steering motor uses the same FETS with the motor FETS. AM board has individual FETS. In my local hobby shop, my friend changed the steering motor FETS for his AM board in order to have more power and the steering response is almost the same with 2.4. Althogh the speed is almost the same, but it is not as precise as 2.4. i love the throttle control in 2.4 board. with default setting, without any changes using ICS, my ma-010 can roll further after i cut off the throttle.

marc
2009.01.25, 09:14 PM
There are way's to adjust that reverse delay. My car no longer has that delay and it instantly goes into reverse.
I love 2.4 just as my signature sais above my avatar. I'll never go back to the old crystal thingy. Its nice going to the track and not worrying about who's on what frequency. Just go, turn it on, and have fun.
However, in the model airplane half of the hobby, I hear that 2.4 is becoming so big now, that it's range is starting to get clogged and a new band is being made. I think it's now like 3.4 or something.
However, I doubt this will ever be an issue with car clubs having a much smaller number of racers.

tongho
2009.01.25, 09:23 PM
There are way's to adjust that reverse delay. My car no longer has that delay and it instantly goes into reverse.
I love 2.4 just as my signature sais above my avatar. I'll never go back to the old crystal thingy. Its nice going to the track and not worrying about who's on what frequency. Just go, turn it on, and have fun.
However, in the model airplane half of the hobby, I hear that 2.4 is becoming so big now, that it's range is starting to get clogged and a new band is being made. I think it's now like 3.4 or something.
However, I doubt this will ever be an issue with car clubs having a much smaller number of racers.

Could you post your setting here, i am so crazy with the reverse lag issue.....:mad:

MINIz guy11
2009.01.25, 09:36 PM
http://www.minizracer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=327454&postcount=1

Check this post out.

Skv012a
2009.01.25, 10:51 PM
Ive played with stock AMs after getting my 2.4s and they just felt utterly sluggish with turning even with steering response on max. Props for upgrading! The comp connectivity kit is too driggin aspensive though.

totalazneclipse
2009.01.26, 12:10 AM
Man...reading about everyone switching to asf makes me want to, but man is it expensive. And getting ahold of a module around my way is a bit hard.