PDA

View Full Version : Help. Is My KT-18 Defective?

Jace1283
2009.01.20, 07:52 PM
a couple times now my KT-18 has quit on me during the end of a night of racing, the last heats or final. the batteries(nimh) were charged the day of the race and the KT18 never showed low batteries. What happens is simple. Full throttle just stops working. I have turning and acceleration. When i hit full throttle, dead. One time you could put it in full throttle and nothing happens but when i push the trigger a little sideways i get full throttle. Seems like a pot issue but i put fresh batteries in and it works. Maybe full throttle has high resistance? I tested the duracells i took out and they all read 1.3 V. Is something wrong with my KT-18. I've sent emails to kyosho but they replied once and ignored all my others telling them my symptoms. Help me out guys, thank you.

My buddy D who has one too doesn't seem to have this problem ever.

Side note here, i was thinking about running it off two 3.7V lithium cells, can it handle 7.4 volts?

kryten
2009.01.20, 08:05 PM
The throttle cuts out at full trigger ,but works up until that point? Try doing the factory reset on the tx and re-pair with the car.
As for the batts thing-no idea,sorry.

Jace1283
2009.01.20, 08:06 PM
The throttle cuts out at full trigger ,but works up until that point? Try doing the factory reset on the tx and re-pair with the car.
As for the batts thing-no idea,sorry.

yes, throttle works until i hit the very end, full throttle

herman
2009.01.20, 10:10 PM
try kryten's (aka jayce) suggestion to do a factory reset on the tx and re-pair with the car... good luck...

Rune
2009.01.21, 03:17 AM
Regarding cutting of when at full throttle.

We have 7 cars with that problem at our track. The fix is as following:

Never use rechargeable batteries.
Never use cheap dry cells.

The batteries we have found to be most consistent is Duracell Ultra. These gives about 10 hours of run time.

Every radio that had these problems are now working properly.

Other problems we encountered is that the throttle has a littlebit of lag when released. The steering input also seems a bit weird at times. These problems are also gone when using good dry cells (alkaline).

Skv012a
2009.01.21, 03:17 AM
Or call Kyosho, get an RMA form and mail it in for a brand new replacement :D Worked for me even though it took them 2 weeks.

Do resetting and repairing first though. I've heard that this was somewhat common for earlier KTs, so don't be frustrated if you can't fix it- you're covered for shipping-to-kyosho fee.

yasuji
2009.01.21, 03:57 AM
on all of my kt-18s i put a peice of soft velcro under the trigger stop to limit its travel then reset the high pt on the radio i also do this on the reverse side as well to stop overthrow of the trigger

Fovea3d
2009.01.21, 08:29 AM
Same problem here (agree very frustrating during a final :rolleyes:) Only happened with rechargeables, no matter how good they were.
Fixed with dry cells: cheap Panasonic, first I could find.
Friends had same problem with their KT18. Same problem, same fix.

Skv012a
2009.01.21, 04:20 PM
I don't see why you don't want to send it for a replacement. Im on Duracell hybrid NiMH and no problems with 2/3 controllers prior to getting the 3rd replaced. Now everything is 100% working.

Jace1283
2009.01.21, 04:55 PM
sending it back is not off the table yet, worry not.

velcro piece sounds nice, the dead zone is so miniscule really, its no more than a mm, id say less

Traveler
2009.01.21, 05:21 PM
I had a similar problem with mine and the factory reset resolved it. The problem was I wasn't doing the factory reset when I thought I was, so the first several attempts failed. Before sending it back, I got out the manual and did a real factory reset and no problems since. This is a thread on this somewhere.

Made me mad as hell, but it was an easy fix for me. Good luck!

Jace1283
2009.01.21, 05:46 PM
i didnt see the factory reset anywhere in either manual, can someone point me to where i find out how?

yasuji
2009.01.21, 06:02 PM
i didnt see the factory reset anywhere in either manual, can someone point me to where i find out how?
the way to reset is hold the button to the left of the wheel down(v)then power on the radio
same procedure as pairing but the opposite direction

Skv012a
2009.01.21, 07:58 PM
the way to reset is hold the button to the left of the wheel down(v)then power on the radio
same procedure as pairing but the opposite direction
That was in the manual and I did just that. Didn't help me. Good luck though.