PDA

View Full Version : Dead zone on M8

MINIz guy11
2009.01.31, 10:11 AM
Hello guys, I'm having a small problem with a dead zone on the steering on my M8. It is not a radio signal dead zone, but a physical wheel dead zone where it will not center perfectly. I could let go of the wheel and it would be ever-so-slightly turned to the right or left (aprox. 1-2mm turned each way), but it makes a big enough difference that I can see my car turning on the straight.

Does anybody have any fixes for this? I've tried to tighten up the steering spring on the M8 with the screw, but that just makes steering throw stiffer but not steering return.

Scrapper
2009.01.31, 10:21 AM
potentiometer?????

MINIz guy11
2009.01.31, 04:09 PM
No, it is not electrical. It is the centering spring itself.

Does anybody know how to stiffen up the centering spring? Currently, it is too weak to center the wheel back to dead center.

MINIz guy11
2009.02.03, 02:55 PM
Come on guys! Anybody care to shed some light on this subject?

mleemor60
2009.02.03, 03:00 PM
Most of the higher line radios have a tension adjustment for the steering wheel. It may just be a matter of locating the hole and adjusting the setting. If you have the manual for the radio it should tell you if it has the adjustment and how to do it.

MINIz guy11
2009.02.07, 08:34 PM
I've tried the tension adjustment, but that doesn't help! I can feel more tension on the throws, but it does nothing about the dead zone in the middle. :mad:

Does anybody have any ideas? It is quite annoying on a small track, and isn't helping me practice one bit!

benmlee
2009.02.07, 11:22 PM
Check to see if the steering wheel is screwed on tight. Maybe the connection between the steering wheel and shaft is loose or cracked.

MINIz guy11
2009.02.10, 08:10 PM
Well, I finally found the correct allen wrench to take apart the transmitter. Once I got to the wheel part, it seemed way too complicated to remove safely. I was worried about all those little wires breaking off, and not being able to get everything back together.

Thank you guys for the help, but I don't plan to investigate this problem any further. I'm sure that once I correct my driving, I can then correct this transmitter problem.