PDA

View Full Version : Detailing your 1:1 scale car

marc
2009.02.04, 01:38 PM
Hello there. I am about to detail the interior of my 2001 Honda Insight. What is the best cleaner out there for this purpose? I've heard that stuff like Armorall uses petrolium based products which is harmfull to the dashboard and other plastic parts of the car.
My car is fairly clean, it's just very dusty from living in the Black Forest with dirt roads.
Can I just simply use water and a paper towel?
Any recommendations?

briankstan
2009.02.04, 01:54 PM
Areospace 303 is the best I've used. I use it on my boat and car.

marc
2009.02.04, 02:20 PM
Does Areospace have any petrolium in it or anything that can harm plastics? My biggest concerne is harming the finish of the dashboard. I don't want it super glossy like what Armorall does, but I do like that new-car look and I want to get rid of the dust.
My other question is how do I bring back the black in my steering wheel? the rim has faded over time and probably from hands rubbing on it all the time. With my old CRX, I had an aftermarket steering wheel which I was able to easily remove and repaint. I can't do that with the airbag steering wheel. So what's the best way to bring it back to black? I've heard of useing shoe polish, but I doubt that will last long at all.
I think I'll head to the local PepBoyz and see what they have to answer.

briankstan
2009.02.04, 02:28 PM
Does Areospace have any petrolium in it or anything that can harm plastics? My biggest concerne is harming the finish of the dashboard. I don't want it super glossy like what Armorall does, but I do like that new-car look and I want to get rid of the dust.
My other question is how do I bring back the black in my steering wheel? the rim has faded over time and probably from hands rubbing on it all the time. With my old CRX, I had an aftermarket steering wheel which I was able to easily remove and repaint. I can't do that with the airbag steering wheel. So what's the best way to bring it back to black? I've heard of useing shoe polish, but I doubt that will last long at all.
I think I'll head to the local PepBoyz and see what they have to answer.

no it's not petrolium based, it won't dry out with use over time. it also has UV protection so it prevent sun from fading the color. I'd recommend it over any other product of this kind. it's safe for plastic, upholstery (cloth or vinyl) leather, fiberglass, etc. it's a bit pricey but well worth the price.

marc
2009.02.04, 03:58 PM
Well, I just been and I tried something called Black Magic with what they recommened micro-fiber towel. Seems to work so far, but we'll see.
The problem is, they ALL seem to say that their safe for interior plastics. However, this one mensions carbon-fiber which is unusual. 15 bucks for the spray bottle and towel. The towel should last a long, long time.
I also don't like products that leave a greesy residue and this stuff does not seem to do that.

byebye
2009.02.04, 06:55 PM
Also buy a cheap paint brush(1" wide) and use it to dust out the cracks. I just detailed the interior of my car and it worked like a charm. I use armor all for all the plastice surfaces in my car. It won't damage the plastic. If it did I doubt armor all products would be on the market for as long as they have been.

Kris

HammerZ
2009.02.04, 07:04 PM
Just be glad you don't live down here in these southern states. By the time a car is five years old the dash is usually warped bad, unless you have a carport or some type of cover to park it under. I have seen cars from Texas that is worst than the ones here though.

I have used Simple Green for most cleaning. For tough stains I get out the Blech Wite, that is best for removing road film off tires. I have had five year old tires that I was asked if they was brand new. I have a bottle of Goo Gone for sticky spots like tape gum. Black Magic is some good stuff, as long as you don't go overboard with it.

I have never been a big fan of Armour All myself, seems to make a bigger mess than you clean up. Nothing but a dust magnet.

MINIz guy11
2009.02.04, 07:20 PM
Armour All isn't so recommended by detailing enthusiasts mainly because of how it is petroleum based. It doesn't last long, and it gives a very greasy/shiny surface many detailers do not want. It will not harm plastic though.

I've been using off-the-shelf carpet stain removers for our carpet. I vacuum it when I can in the summer, and use a lint remover (mainly for your clothes) to remove any hairs that will not come out with the vacuum.

On the dash, I mainly use a damp microfiber towel. There are high quality protectants for your dash, such as Aerospace 303 Protectant, but also from einszett which make very nice cleaners and protectants. The plus about einszett products would be that it does have a "dust preventer" which seems to work.

For keeping black trim a good black color, Aerospace 303 Protectant should work well. Black Wow is one that is really like also, but it is pretty expensive. I've found Armour All to work fine, although it does fade quickly on exterior trim. For plastic pieces that isn't as exposed to the elements, it should work decently. For example, our engine bay is quite nice after 6 months of applying Armour All. Just do not over-apply it and it shouldn't be extremely greasy.

marc
2009.02.04, 07:40 PM
Thank you guy's for your inputs. Like I said, I tried the Black Magic today cause it claims to have anti-static properties which should help lesson the dust. My car is practically brand new condition, just get's dirty and dusty from the roads I mentioned. The only bad spot on the interior is the steering wheel and I think that's more from hand-use than sun-fade.
I often wonder how much would it cost to have the entire dash re-uphostered in say black suede? Suede is very sexy and would probably be easier to keep that clean look than plastic?
I'll let you know tomarrow how the dashboard look's after a while. Next step is to vaccume the floors. Particularly the drivers floorboards from the dirt. Passanger side hardly ever gets used.

ProfoxCG
2009.02.04, 07:58 PM
I susually just damp a microfiber towel (small one) and clean the dash and everything else. I dont use any "protentants" I find they make the car look " i like used car"

Then, i have been recently trying out meguiars clay bar + swirlX + they NTX wet wax. Awesome results !