PDA

View Full Version : discharging battery tray?

TheRinger
2009.02.09, 08:37 PM
I've been thinking about buying a discharge tray but the chargers I have got a discharge feature. So I was wondering if buying a discharge tray is useful or just discharging them with a charger that can discharge batteries. Pretty much I wondering if a discharge tray would work better or not. The chargers I have are both maha's one the MH-C9000 wizardone and the other an 8 cell charger and an ice charger and an 989 superbrain.

totalazneclipse
2009.02.09, 09:58 PM
I would get one. Not for the discharge function, but for it's ability to equalize the cells. We use them for 1/10th scale racing to get the most out of our batteries.

hrdrvr
2009.02.10, 09:18 AM
How does the discharge tray "equalize" the batteries any different than the wizard one which discharges them individually?

hpgod
2009.02.10, 12:19 PM
trays are not important if you are running individual cells. trays were invented for packs and pack charging of matched packs. In a match pack the charge is only as good as the weakest cell. the stronger cells do not get max charge. If you charger charges idividual cells there is no need to equalize.

TheRinger
2009.02.12, 07:54 PM
I was also thinking because I don't run a set of batteries completely down between races and though it might be better 2 discharge them all the way down then recharge them in time 4 another race. I was wondering is this good 4 the batteries?

EMU
2009.02.12, 08:00 PM
Are you talking about 2 races in the same day, or different weeks. I do not think it is a good idea to fully discharge a pack between heats/mains... I usually only use one pack 2 or 3 times during a day, then discharge/charge once and let the rest for a week. Cells that I use for mains, I only use once a week, and cycle once the next day to check capacity.

My practice cells I dont cycle at all. And I dont count runs on them.

Regular discharge trays I think arent as useful, because you dont get to see the data from the cell. How much capacity, and what voltage is being released...

TheRinger
2009.02.12, 08:54 PM
Are you talking about 2 races in the same day, or different weeks. I do not think it is a good idea to fully discharge a pack between heats/mains... I usually only use one pack 2 or 3 times during a day, then discharge/charge once and let the rest for a week. Cells that I use for mains, I only use once a week, and cycle once the next day to check capacity.

My practice cells I dont cycle at all. And I dont count runs on them.

Regular discharge trays I think arent as useful, because you dont get to see the data from the cell. How much capacity, and what voltage is being released...

Thats pretty much what I was going 2 do but if that isn't good 4 the cells then I don't think buying a discharge tray will be useful. Thanks 4 the advice.

EMU
2009.02.12, 11:49 PM
I was thinking about buying a discharge tray, to discharge the cells after the mains... then charge them when I got home. I dont really see the point when I can just do a cycle on my Lacrosse or Maha charger and see how much they charge. If you already have the Maha or Lacrosse, then I dont see much of a point.

If you are using packs, then there is more of a need to know how much a pack can discharge. Individual cells, you can weed out the weak ones with the Lacrosse or Maha charger. You will have to use capacity to choose, but it is better than guessing.

Skv012a
2009.02.13, 10:56 AM
Let me ask this while we're on the subject: how should I properly use the analyze feat of C9000 to find out exact capacity of my cells? After that, If I take a set of 4 that are close to one another and break in all of them to the capacity of the worst one will I get a matched set? If so, would using a cheap discharge tray to upkeep their even-ness be a good idea or can I just recharge them at the same time with the same amps?

totalazneclipse
2009.02.13, 04:08 PM
How does the discharge tray "equalize" the batteries any different than the wizard one which discharges them individually?

I didn't know the wizard did that. (I don't own one.) But I would assume that its the same. I use the ICE charger cause I had it from 1/10th racing and didn't want to have a bunch of chargers around.

hrdrvr
2009.02.13, 08:20 PM
^ Everything you can do with the wizard one, you can do as individual cells. The drawback with the discharge mode is that you can only discharge at .5 amp (I think thats the max, I can check monday), and most people reccomend discharging at 1 amp or more.

EMU
2009.02.14, 01:15 AM
The Maha can discharge at 1A. The Lacrosse discharges at .5A max.

Tjay
2009.02.14, 02:01 AM
^ Eugene: I PM'd you. lmk asap. Thanks! -TJ

bermbuster
2009.02.14, 03:12 AM
I was thinking about buying a discharge tray, to discharge the cells after the mains... then charge them when I got home. I dont really see the point when I can just do a cycle on my Lacrosse or Maha charger and see how much they charge. If you already have the Maha or Lacrosse, then I dont see much of a point.

If you are using packs, then there is more of a need to know how much a pack can discharge. Individual cells, you can weed out the weak ones with the Lacrosse or Maha charger. You will have to use capacity to choose, but it is better than guessing.

Eugene
get a Novak smart tray.....
it discharges at 2.7amps and it is computerized. It can discharge to a specified voltage if it over discharges it adds voltage so you get a truly discharged pack.

This is the tray 1/12 scalers use and it works perfect for aaa cells....
You bend the tabs slightly (tabs are replaceable)
When you cycle or discharge a pack you want to give the cells a workout
to train them....2.7 amps is an actual discharge current you get from your mini z....

rc_bam226
2009.02.14, 12:06 PM
Huh, I would never have thought to use that 1/10 discharger like that. I'm assuming you would still have to hook it up to a PS to operate, right?

bermbuster
2009.02.14, 05:03 PM
Huh, I would never have thought to use that 1/10 discharger like that. I'm assuming you would still have to hook it up to a PS to operate, right?
yes youhook it up to its own PS.
it works real good too....

rc_bam226
2009.02.14, 07:25 PM
yes youhook it up to its own PS.
it works real good too....

Give that a try later on.

Gigibesi
2009.03.04, 03:23 AM
actually do you modify any battery tabs on the smart tray to fit the AAA battery? can i use tekin battery doctor to discharge AAA battery?

rc_bam226
2009.03.04, 10:34 AM
actually do you modify any battery tabs on the smart tray to fit the AAA battery? can i use tekin battery doctor to discharge AAA battery?

I don't see why not, but the Battery Doctor has a cut off voltage of 0.5V per cell. It may be a little much for tiny AAA's.

Gigibesi
2009.03.05, 07:16 AM
i am curious how the 0.5 volt cutoff will hurt the cell?

rc_bam226
2009.03.05, 10:51 AM
i am curious how the 0.5 volt cutoff will hurt the cell?

Well, that particular discharger was meant for 1/10 Sub C cells. When you discharge, and remove the cells from the discharger, the cells will, should I say, "bounce back" just above the 0.5V because those cells have will maintain a minimum charge.

Now as for the AAA's, you look at the dischargers from PN which is 0.7V cutoff or Atomic at 0.9V. I know its not much difference between the .05V to 0.7 or 0.9V. AAA's have a lot less cell material than 1/10 cells, so pulling down voltage for a cell that size MAY cause cell damage. That's just my opinion.

I'm just speaking from experience with 1/10 RC cells where I have discharged more than enough, and killed a pack or two because of that.

Gigibesi
2009.03.07, 01:06 AM
i wonder if discharge at 3 amp will shorten the life of the cell?:confused:

rc_bam226
2009.03.07, 01:24 AM
i wonder if discharge at 3 amp will shorten the life of the cell?:confused:

It shouldn't. Discharging helps maintain capacity and voltage.

Usage and time will shorten the life of the cell, i.e. racing, practicing, etc.

Gigibesi
2009.03.07, 08:27 AM
oh... but arent high discharge rate kinda too much for AAA batt???:confused:

curretly using the PN racing discharger. so far its ok but i heard the discharger will spoil if i discharge using a fully charged battery.?

rc_bam226
2009.03.07, 10:49 AM
oh... but arent high discharge rate kinda too much for AAA batt???:confused:

curretly using the PN racing discharger. so far its ok but i heard the discharger will spoil if i discharge using a fully charged battery.?

Spoiling the discharger? The only component that will wear out, will be the discharge resistors. Batteries can be definitely spoiled.

Here are some specs for you, the Atomic discharges at 2.7A, and the PN at 1A per cell.

Well in racing, are the batteries actually discharging at say for instance, the Orion 900HV, at 900mA? They getting dicharged at the higher rate than the stated rate on cell. When accelerating from start or exiting a turn, more power is being drawn from the cells, than the nominal draw of 900mA.

A high discharge rate keeps the cells being able to release energy more efficiently, and quickly when you need it, during races.

Gigibesi
2009.03.21, 09:08 AM
my loca LHS sell this at half price i wonder is it good reliable ?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/512M7zMFnQL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

rc_bam226
2009.03.21, 10:41 AM
That's an I****y discharger. Here are the specs:

Adjustable discharge current 0.1A to 3.0A, use low current to perfectly equalize all the cells before recharging, use the higher 3A with 0.9V setting to discharge the cells for storage after race, automatic cutoff point adjustable from 0.0V to 0.9V per cell, aluminum case with heatsink to keep the unit cool, 6 spring loaded contact points for easy battery installation, 12V input required, condition and equalize each cell individually, blue LED for each cell status - Item#: INT E2054 Barcode: 91789005300

That one will do the job as well. However, trying to get the screw posts to hold onto a AAA might be a little tricky.

Unless of course you take the thing apart, and swap out the posts for bendable battery tabs. :D

bermbuster
2009.03.21, 07:41 PM
my loca LHS sell this at half price i wonder is it good reliable ?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/512M7zMFnQL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

you also need a 12v power supply for it.......

Gigibesi
2009.03.22, 09:20 AM
i wonder is it realiable and it wont go puff after using awhile?:confused:

Gigibesi
2009.03.24, 02:54 AM
i used this but i have a problem... when i put the cutoff at 0.8 and set the discharge rate at 3Amps the discharger refuse to discharge. ( it light out a while then it dint start dischrge.)

the charger only work when i i set it to 0.0V cutoff and discharges rate at 1.4 Amps even then only 2 slot of out 6 slot start to discharge?? i wonder wut wrong with it? is this related to the screw post?

* i used with a fully charge battery