PDA

View Full Version : RCP set up

remy
2009.02.10, 04:01 PM
Hello,
I use to drive my MR02 on carpet tracks. I have a race on a RCP track and I've a lot of difficulties to find a good set up.
I need informations about specific set up for this kind of track.
Somebody can help me ?

Best regards

briankstan
2009.02.10, 04:29 PM
My Stock setup works great,

MR-02 96mm (mid mount) 350 Z Super GT Body

Rear:

PN LCG 94-98 mount,
Kyosho ball diff, pn ceramic bearings
PN 64 pitch gears, 12/53 ratio
Reflex 96mm t-plates (soft)
PN DPS sanded, blue spring on bottom, red on top.
PN 6 degree RCP Radials or Reflex Racing SSG's

Front:

PN stainless King Pins
PN 0 degree Knuckles
PN 1 degree caster bar
PN low down springs, (hard)
stock toe bar.
PN 20 degree slicks.

MantisMMA
2009.02.10, 04:57 PM
Front:
Reflex wtf system
atomic -1 front wheels
kyosho 30degree radials
pn white springs
2 degree pn knuckles

rear:
Pn lcg motor mount
reflex 96mm hard h plate
pn diff with titanium shaft and ceramic balls (only 5 of them)
pn+2 rear wheels
kyosho 20degree radials
white 3000 grit sanded delrin dds disks
black carbon 3000grit sanded dds plate
red springs top and bottom
64 pitch 11/54

i have recently switched from the 350z to the jgtc skyline it is a little more stable but just as agile as the 07 350z. I am able to run much cleaner lines with it. This setup has tq'd and won the last three races here!!

MINIz guy11
2009.02.10, 05:05 PM
My setup is a bit weird for a Lamborghini Murcielago (0N Front, +2W Rear). MR-02 MM at full 98mm length.

Rear:

PN Racing ML Motor Mount
Stock Gear Differential, Metal Bearings
8 Tooth pinion on a Speedy 05BB (I race on a big track with a 40ft straight)
Kyosho Hard Carbon Fiber T-Plate
3Racing Damper Post and disks; medium spring on bottom, hard spring on top, mounted on a Atomic 98MM Damper Plate
Topcad Tire set (Rears feel somewhere between Kyosho 20's and 30's)

Front:

Kyosho Stainless King Pins
Stock knuckes, tierod, springs
Topcad Tire set (Fronts feel somewhere between Kyosho 20's and Kyosho 30's)

It would help with posting what setup you are currently running. That way we can see what can/cannot be used and what you may want to change for better performance.

Jace1283
2009.02.10, 10:32 PM
-98mm lcg pn mount, its about the best a mount can get, the motor literally cant be lower(94mm is pretty twitchy on rcp)
-kyosho 30 slicks up front
-kyosho 20 slicks out back
-loose diff, not slipping though
-no front body lips, will catch and/or break body

Z's and nsx's drilled out to 98mm are great. mclaren or enzo/fxx are good too

the rest is fine tuning imo
im running med pn plate w/medium up front
2.0 degree knuckles

Cherub1m
2009.02.11, 09:09 AM
MR02 set up

WB and Body:
98mm on Mclaren LM

PCB and Tx:
2.4. KoPropo EX-10 Helios

Motor:
Atomic Standard, gear ratio is 7.33 - 4.88 (spur 44 tooth and pinion 6, 7, 8, or 9 tooth depends on size of track)

Front:
2 degree of camber (PN)
purple PN springs
30 degrees Atomic grove narrow tires if need a little less steering Atomic 40 degrees
-1 offset front rims

Rear:
3racing ball diff
20 degree Kyosho wide tires (the new ones with the tread)
0 offset wide rims
PN damper system with red spring on top and red (green or blue if i need more on power steering) spring on bottom
Atomic ssg medium T plate
Kyosho yellow top shock with stock oil and stock springs. (can't remember if I have spacers in our out)

bmxtrev
2009.02.11, 09:54 PM
just a side note, try reflex's ssg tires, they are amazing

z3zinho
2009.02.12, 02:27 PM
just a side note, try reflex's ssg tires, they are amazing

Yep, try the reflex SSG's, you can get them in france thru RC-PBM ;)

Tyres are the most important part of the setup. Try the ssg's in the rear and that will really hook up your car to the track.

tudor_47
2009.02.13, 02:18 PM
Is RC-PBM the anly place in europe that cary them?

jbenthobbies
2009.02.22, 09:57 PM
What is the Wheel offset that I need to run with the Nissan 350 z body?

briankstan
2009.02.22, 10:43 PM
What is the Wheel offset that I need to run with the Nissan 350 z body?

I run +1 front and Rear on My 350Z.

MantisMMA
2009.02.22, 11:30 PM
if you are using the WTF you can run -1 or 0 fronts and +2 rears on the super GT version

marc
2009.02.23, 11:27 AM
One problem with asking people about RCP specific set-up's, is that no two track's are exact. Different climates, different track-condition, et'c, all effect the track making each one unique. What one tire-spring set up will work on one RCP track, might not necessarily work on another RCP track. You've got to figure out what works best for you on the particular track that YOUR racing on. Even comparing my Mini96 track at home, is different than my local club's track. Same RCP, but different.

CristianTabush
2009.02.23, 01:02 PM
I run pretty much the same set-up everywhere with the exception of front tires. The set-ups are VERY, VERY similar track to track, the only difference is the amount of grip. This dictates the front tire selection for myself.

marc
2009.02.23, 03:56 PM
Wouldn't spring stiffness play a part on different tracks as well? Or is it really just down to tire choice?

MINIz guy11
2009.02.23, 04:05 PM
I believe spring stiffness does play a role but cannot alter a setup as much as tires.

For instance, I went from a Murcielago body to a Enzo body and difference in the front overhang made my car spin out every turn. I changed my whole rear end from a medium FRP T-Plate, and medium bottom damper spring to a soft T-plate, and soft bottom damper spring. The front end I also changed from stock springs to hard springs. I finally added a lexan wing for weight and downforce (If it even exists at this scale . . . I'm not a believer, I'm in it for the weight . . . ) Even with these setup changes, I still could not overcome the spinning out issues.

Now, I'm only an amateur racer. I'm sure somebody more knowledgeable can chime in with proven facts.

marc
2009.02.23, 04:55 PM
Kyosho also sells weight setting kit's for the Mini-Z. I'm not sure where these are supposed to be placed, body, chassis, either/both. But I'm sure proper weight distrubution will help as well and will probably be same on any track.

JacobFeinstein
2009.03.01, 05:05 PM
Funny thing is that spring tension for the front end seems to be one of the aspects of the car that we adjust the least. Like Cristian said, once you have found a baseline setup, you have to adjust for different tracks with tires. No track is going to be different to the point where you have to start from scratch.

Cherub1m
2009.03.01, 06:40 PM
Funny thing is that spring tension for the front end seems to be one of the aspects of the car that we adjust the least. Like Cristian said, once you have found a baseline setup, you have to adjust for different tracks with tires. No track is going to be different to the point where you have to start from scratch.

Yep that's what I've noticed. Tires, tires, and tires ( especially front tires) is what matters once you have a baseline set up.

Jacob are you coming to NY for the next Atomic race?

byebye
2009.03.02, 08:48 AM
I normally run Kyosho 30 slick fronts and Kyosho 20 slick rears. Well I don't want to pay the $9 for a set of 4 from kenon and the shop here doesn't have them in stock. Today I am ordering some atomic slick R 10's and 20's. Any feedback you guys have from these would be greatly appreciated!!!

Kris

lfisminiz
2009.03.02, 06:39 PM
byebye - i like the Atomic 20 R slicks for the front. Good alternitive.;)

EMU
2009.03.02, 06:49 PM
Kris,

The Slick R are more of a carpet tire... On very large tracks, they dont hold up well. I like them on smaller tracks. I use the Atomic Slick Comptetition tires, and like the 30 and 40d... They are more rubber like, while the Slick R are more silicone like.

The Slick R has less chatter, but need to be glued and shouldnt be used on hot high speed tracks. I had a front left tire rip in half at the PN PA regional. It also looked like it had a few blisters in it as well. For small club tracks, it would be a good option. But large competition tracks, I would go with a different tire composition.

JacobFeinstein
2009.03.02, 06:55 PM
byebye: That is a good combination, Cristian and I run SSGs in the rear and generally PN slicks in the front, ranging from 8-15 degree.

Philip: It's a possibility, but you need to come to Houston and race with us! ;)

CristianTabush
2009.03.02, 08:57 PM
Thanks for filling in Jacob... :)

Tjay
2009.03.03, 01:47 AM
I usually run kyo30 N slicks and kyo20 W slicks for practice (MR02). Race nights though I use Kyo30 N radials and Kyo20 W radials. Big events, I only run Reflex SSG rear tires. Front tires varies from Kyosho 30 N radials or PN 10 and 15's.

tudor_47
2009.03.03, 01:52 AM
HI
We normally never run on RCP but in the weekend that was we built the pnwc2008 track layout in a rented space and did some racing, however regardless of setup it is very very slippery with understeering and loose rears.

Is there a trick to be done to the track to prepare it for raceday? Note the track is normally kept in its boxes as we race on rubber track normally.

Tanks!

Tjay
2009.03.03, 02:07 AM
HI
We normally never run on RCP but in the weekend that was we built the pnwc2008 track layout in a rented space and did som e racing, however regardless of setup it is very very slippery with understeering and loose rears.

Is there a trick to be done to the track to prepare it for raceday? Note the track is normally kept in its boxes as we race on rubber track normally.

Tanks!

There's no trick but get use to RCP track. It has less, a lot less traction if you're use to running on rubber track with rubber tires.

yasuji
2009.03.03, 03:14 AM
HI
We normally never run on RCP but in the weekend that was we built the pnwc2008 track layout in a rented space and did som e racing, however regardless of setup it is very very slippery with understeering and loose rears.

Tanks!

here is my in put..... i have tested 2 different scenarios of track set up..
first i laid out my track without prepping the cement surface ie dusty and dirty from being a motorcycle race shop....no matter what i did i could not get ant rear grip....it left me scratching my head.....lol
next i swept and vacuumed my shop then layed the track out once again......night and day difference.....@ Matsushimas the track barely shifts @ all....a good for instance is the pnwc 2008.....nowhere near the grip that we have in socal.....and it was the same track;)
i feel that track prep is very important..... as far as set up goes for the most part i only change the tires....then i mess with springs and damping to fine tune;)

tudor_47
2009.03.03, 05:41 AM
OK so a good cleaning of the area to put the track in a good idea... I believe that was done but still it was impossible to drive...

Could it be a good idea to clean the RCP, like vacuming it?? or? should I take every tile one by one and give it a good beating outside and the vacum it?

I can not get hold of the reflexracing rear tire here in sweden, so I have yet to try that rubber.. (ordering it from the states is very expensive as freight is some 25dollars for 3 sets of tires!, but I will probably have to order a few sets soon to test, regardless of freight price) I am hoping that Pnracing sweden will be able to supply the reflexracing line of tyres soon.

hpgod
2009.03.03, 06:13 AM
For cleaning use a hose attachment for the vacuum with non rotating brushes. I use one that is 8inch wide. After setting the track down i vaccum. It seems to smooth the finger joint out also. If the track is kept down, vaccum every week or 2 to get the mint/dust off the track.

byebye
2009.03.03, 06:17 AM
byebye - i like the Atomic 20 R slicks for the front. Good alternitive.;)

Kris,

The Slick R are more of a carpet tire... On very large tracks, they dont hold up well. I like them on smaller tracks. I use the Atomic Slick Comptetition tires, and like the 30 and 40d... They are more rubber like, while the Slick R are more silicone like.

The Slick R has less chatter, but need to be glued and shouldnt be used on hot high speed tracks. I had a front left tire rip in half at the PN PA regional. It also looked like it had a few blisters in it as well. For small club tracks, it would be a good option. But large competition tracks, I would go with a different tire composition.

byebye: That is a good combination, Cristian and I run SSGs in the rear and generally PN slicks in the front, ranging from 8-15 degree.

Philip: It's a possibility, but you need to come to Houston and race with us! ;)

Thanks for the feedback guys;). I placed in 15th and 14th for HFAY this time around on 30 fronts and 20 rears. I usually setup my cars for more understeer than over steer. I suppose it's time to graduate and move up to a car with a little more oversteer to get me around the corners faster. I'm hoping the 10's will give me a little more grip than the kyosho 30's. I just like the consistency and wear of the kyosho 30's.

I had a set of SSG's. I loved them. I need to order some more.

Also to add to the RCP track prep discussion. I always vacuum my track before we race. I also sweep the garage floor. After practicing for a few days there is a build up track dust. I also clean my tires with duct tape. It pulls all the track dust and regular dust off the tires leaving them very clean. Of course this only last for the first rotation of the tire but if the track is really clean then it picks up less dust.

Kris

Cherub1m
2009.03.03, 10:35 AM

Hope you can make it. If I can talk my wife into visiting Houston with the kids I definitely will :D

CristianTabush
2009.03.03, 12:00 PM
Tudor, PM me or e-mail me about shipping. Shipping can be altered to find different prices. Typically I can do flat rate envelopes for a little bit lower cost. If Cargel or PN Sweden is interested in carrying the tires, they can also contact me about this.

yasuji
2009.03.03, 01:08 PM
OK so a good cleaning of the area to put the track in a good idea... I believe that was done but still it was impossible to drive...

Could it be a good idea to clean the RCP, like vacuming it?? or? should I take every tile one by one and give it a good beating outside and the vacum it?

I can not get hold of the reflexracing rear tire here in sweden, so I have yet to try that rubber.. (ordering it from the states is very expensive as freight is some 25dollars for 3 sets of tires!, but I will probably have to order a few sets soon to test, regardless of freight price) I am hoping that Pnracing sweden will be able to supply the reflexracing line of tyres soon.

i use a 5 hp shop vacuum with a wide attachmant

tudor_47
2009.03.03, 02:33 PM
Tudor, PM me or e-mail me about shipping. Shipping can be altered to find different prices. Typically I can do flat rate envelopes for a little bit lower cost. If Cargel or PN Sweden is interested in carrying the tires, they can also contact me about this.

Thanks Cristian!
I have given your name to Joakim (PNRacing sweden) so he will probably be contacting you soon, he is normally using a hotmail email adress so lookout that you do not delete his email. Pnracing Sweden: http://radicalrides.se/ hopefully you guys can work it out so that we can get your tires here too.

JuniorWKR
2009.03.03, 02:36 PM
try misting the track with a diluted simple green and water combo... the worst thing for traction is a zero mouisture environment... RCP is a foam which like any other foam absorbs mouisture which creates traction... try this and let me know... we do it at our LHS and have great success... in the summer we have tons of traction because of the humidity... but in the winter with the doors closed and the heat cranked it sucks the mousture right outta the track...

briankstan
2009.03.03, 03:02 PM
try misting the track with a diluted simple green and water combo... the worst thing for traction is a zero mouisture environment... RCP is a foam which like any other foam absorbs mouisture which creates traction... try this and let me know... we do it at our LHS and have great success... in the summer we have tons of traction because of the humidity... but in the winter with the doors closed and the heat cranked it sucks the mousture right outta the track...

We live out here in the desert (utah) and there is no humidity to speak of, I have started misting my track with just straight water in a water bottle. this has helped out a lot with traction. I usually mist it about an hour or so before we race. then I vaccum the track after the water has all absorbed in.

I would caution against spraying any kind of chemical on the track as it may decrease the life of the track, but this is my personal opinion about my own track.

lfisminiz
2009.03.03, 07:48 PM
tudor - also make sure your using the "rough" side of track, NOT the smooth side.;)

tudor_47
2009.03.04, 01:03 AM
thanks people!

misting it with water sounds lika a good explanation as we have winter here there is zero moisture in the air, well not zero but very dry. Especially when it is many degress (celsius) below zero.

watering wait and then vacuum, will have a go at that the next time we set up track.

JuniorWKR
2009.03.04, 12:13 PM
We live out here in the desert (utah) and there is no humidity to speak of, I have started misting my track with just straight water in a water bottle. this has helped out a lot with traction. I usually mist it about an hour or so before we race. then I vaccum the track after the water has all absorbed in.

I would caution against spraying any kind of chemical on the track as it may decrease the life of the track, but this is my personal opinion about my own track.

this is in now way a fact... as im not a scientist but i feel that the simple grean actually holds the track together and aids in the track lasting longer... dont know why or how but just know that it works... i think that the diluted simple green softens up the track just enough that it will flex under traction pressure instead of getting reamed away...

LED
2009.03.19, 06:15 AM
just a post to keep track of the thread