PDA

View Full Version : need speed

malcon
2009.02.10, 08:36 PM
Whats up everybody! well I have got the car in last night, and Installed bearings and the atomic chili motor. I have the V2 board, but i havent had a chance to install it yet.
Will that make a big difference in speed? its fast right now, but i'd like even more speed.
I'm running the stock gear ratio.. i think its 17/31 i could be wrong though.

I'm looking for more power through the power band.
Will batteries make a big difference? is there a more powerful engine?

thanks!

EMU
2009.02.10, 09:06 PM
Are you sure that you have an MR015? Sounds like its an AWD MA-010 from the gear ratio.

A Chili is a modified motor, you can burn out the fets with it on a stock AM board. If you are using a 2.4ghz board it is still recommended to upgrade the fets when using a modified motor with the AWD chassis.

If you want speed, gear up. The stock gear ratio is pretty slow.

malcon
2009.02.10, 11:10 PM
ah yes...I'm very sorry. I ment to put 010, I also have a 015.. i confused myself...

Dudemeister
2009.02.10, 11:53 PM
If you have an Atomic Chili motor, and your system is FET'ed, and you think you still need speed, you need to take some Dramamine dude. :D:D

I know quite a few great drivers, and they don't even run that mod motor without throttling it down to 40-50%. The car is nearly unmanageable with that motor at 100%, at lower gear ratios. And with a lower gear ratio, you risk on getting the motor so hot as to warp the chassis.

malcon
2009.02.11, 12:05 AM
i must not be doing something right then.. the car still seems like its a little slow... not a whole lot faster than some of the stage 2 motor kits on an xmod...
should i be able to blow the doors off them?
right now i tried the 21/27 gearing... still not living up to the hype...

should i try a 15/27?

right now i just have the stock board and the chili, i'm going to be adding the v2 board sometime soon.. i just have to install it...

EMU
2009.02.11, 12:11 AM
If the car is not 2.4ghz, do NOT run the chili motor without changing the fets or using a turbo. Even with a 2.4ghz board, I recommend upgrading the fets with an AWD.

What batteries are you using? Slow batteries, will be slow even with a fast motor. Make sure that there is no binding in the drivetrain. Wheels shouldnt be too tight, the car should roll well without the motor installed. Also make sure that you use the proper spacers for the gear ratio that you are using.

malcon
2009.02.11, 12:22 AM
I'm just using cheap duracel AAA's, I'm looking into getting a set of nicer, rechargeable ones... I was also looking into the Lithos. I'm still learning about those though.

malcon
2009.02.11, 12:39 AM
ok i took out the Chili motor. and put the stock one back in. I also set the gears to 15/31

It seems to be faster....
I guess it was because the board couldnt handle the chili?
This is all very interesting. Thanks for everybody patients.
I have much respect for all of your knowledge in this craft. very interesting.

EMU
2009.02.11, 12:40 AM
Get some Orion 900 or R1Wurks 990. You will see a HUGE difference in speed compared to the cheap Duracells.

Dudemeister
2009.02.11, 12:59 AM
i must not be doing something right then.. the car still seems like its a little slow... not a whole lot faster than some of the stage 2 motor kits on an xmod...
should i be able to blow the doors off them?
right now i tried the 21/27 gearing... still not living up to the hype...

should i try a 15/27?

right now i just have the stock board and the chili, i'm going to be adding the v2 board sometime soon.. i just have to install it...

At 21/27 you currently have the lowest gear ratio achievable with the standard gears, and should have an unmanageable speed demon on your hands. If it's slower than an "xmod" there's something very wrong with your setup, or it could be that you're already frying your FETs.

As far as a 15/27, that's not even possible as the gears wouldn't mesh. If you could find such a thing, ya 23/25 setup would fit, and you'd have a 3.8 gear ratio. You would probably not have any meaningful acceleration, but the top speed would be insane.

Batteries will certainly make a difference, and LiPos would give you the extra punch, but that's not where your problems lie. Check your PCB and re-FET it.

malcon
2009.02.11, 01:27 AM
hmm I'll have to dig back into the gearing.
Thanks alot of the advise. Yes i'll have to check into thos batteries for certain.
The v2 board should solve any problem as far as burning up FETs, is the right?
so once i get that done i would guess i could then put on the chili and that paired with the batteries, it should be a demon.

Cherub1m
2009.02.11, 10:19 AM
hmm I'll have to dig back into the gearing.
Thanks alot of the advise. Yes i'll have to check into thos batteries for certain.
The v2 board should solve any problem as far as burning up FETs, is the right?
so once i get that done i would guess i could then put on the chili and that paired with the batteries, it should be a demon.

Another thing Malcom

If you havent checked this, it is very important. Make sure the AWD drive train move freely. If it binds you may need to check every bearing and moving parts. Just take out the motor pinion and see if it rolls freely (should roll almost like a hotwheel or matchbox car). And last but not least lower gear ratio does not mean more speed if the motor does not have the torque to move the car, this is a very important sometime higher gear ratio will make the car go faster, it all depends on the motor.

The AWD is a great chassis but its also one of the hardest Miniz's to tune right. However, once you get it right they are very hard to beat.

malcon
2009.02.11, 11:44 AM
sounds great. Yes i checked to make sure there was no binding. and we're all set there. I see what you mean about the torque. good call on that. I'll do some more testing tonight with it.
I'll keep everybody updated.
thanks again for all the help. the community is very helpful unlike some other forums i've looked into where they don't have the time.

so thank you! :D:D

Skv012a
2009.02.12, 02:16 PM
Get some Orion 900 or R1Wurks 990. You will see a HUGE difference in speed compared to the cheap Duracells.

Newer "hyrid" lime green + copper Duras actually feel very close to Orions. Then they don't self-discharge nearly as fast, so I'm starting to like these a bit more since I don't have to top them off/charge half of them right before my races(1 week intervals). I would say the AAs/AAAs are a must for TXes.