PDA

View Full Version : FPR's 1st Mini-z Product!

Tjay
2009.02.11, 02:38 AM
Tired of having a locked front wheel from coming too close to the wall during the mains? How about having to flip those expensive lock nuts just so you wont have to worry about having it come off? Sick of having 1-2 degree change while cornering because you can't tighten up the lock nut? Fast Pace Racing's new product should help you eliminate all this!

A front wheel bearing spacer. This spacer sandwiches in between the front wheel bearing. Elimintaing the slop by tightening up the lock nut without having to back off the nut.

Part Number: MR0FWBS

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g10/Teejay_Cynthia/IMG_0630.jpg?t=1234335494

How to install (please excuse my mint condition bearings):
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g10/Teejay_Cynthia/IMG_0632.jpg?t=1234335768
Insert one bearing on the outside wheel:
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g10/Teejay_Cynthia/IMG_0633.jpg?t=1234335930
Bearing in:
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g10/Teejay_Cynthia/IMG_0635.jpg?t=1234336036
Then the spacer:
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g10/Teejay_Cynthia/IMG_0636.jpg?t=1234336103
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g10/Teejay_Cynthia/IMG_0637.jpg?t=1234336167
Then the inside bearing:
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g10/Teejay_Cynthia/IMG_0638.jpg?t=1234336219
Install it back on your front knuckles. Tighten it all the way and you're set!
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g10/Teejay_Cynthia/IMG_0640.jpg?t=1234336281
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g10/Teejay_Cynthia/IMG_0642.jpg?t=1234336381

Precision cut and 100% Made in USA! Works GREAT with Machine cut wheel. ;)

For more info, please send email to tj@fastpaceracing.com or peter@fastpaceracing.com.

A Special Thanks to Ray Leung for helping out with this product. You guys will hear his name more with our upcoming 2009 products!

Thanks for Looking!

yasuji
2009.02.11, 03:06 AM
nice fpr......ive been working on something similar......u guys beat me too it:(
great idea;)

hpgod
2009.02.11, 07:00 AM
sweet.
This will make the bearings last longer also.
In 1/10 offroad it increased bearing life tremendously.

doug01n
2009.02.11, 10:33 AM
Do you guys ships this thing to Brazil? I'll want some... :) I was just thinking about this at morning...

Tjay
2009.02.11, 12:36 PM
Thanks Grant! I'm sure we're not the only once that thought of it. Heck! I even found out after releasing the product locally that a couple of my customers are running shims and brass bushing on theirs but it doesn't work as good as these.

Yes it will make the bearings last longer. Also, you'll know if your bearings are shot!

Doug: We can ship it. Please forward me your info through PM or email. Thanks!

arch2b
2009.02.11, 07:25 PM
nice idea and nice product. a bit pricey but nice.

color01
2009.02.11, 11:46 PM
The need for ultimate precision on a part like this, however, makes it extremely worth it. I'm getting a set; I will write about them on my blog here and the GSR site to draw you some additional attention, TJ. :)

phea
2009.02.12, 12:57 AM
At first I thought these spacers didn't do anything because I put the washer on the outside where the lug nut went. BUT these directions cleared up alot of confusion, works perfect on my 2wd. This spacer and a pair of kyosho lug nuts torqued in all the way spins free with no slop. If you want to fine tune your car's front end suspension, this product is a must have.

Tjay
2009.02.12, 01:06 AM
Thanks Arch and Brian! Yes, it is a bit pricey but it's $7.50 delivered to your house and this is any where in US.

Tjay
2009.02.12, 01:08 AM
At first I thought these spacers didn't do anything because I put the washer on the outside where the lug nut went. BUT these directions cleared up alot of confusion, works perfect on my 2wd. This spacer and a pair of kyosho lug nuts torqued in all the way spins free with no slop. If you want to fine tune your car's front end suspension, this product is a must have.

I'm glad you like it Stephen. I'll let you test my next prototype product. You'll like it for sure. ;)

tudor_47
2009.02.12, 01:43 AM
Thanks Arch and Brian! Yes, it is a bit pricey but it's $7.50 delivered to your house and this is any where in US.

Now that you are talking prices...
how about price and shipping to sweden?

This looks as a must have part.

/Johnny

Tjay
2009.02.12, 03:06 PM
Now that you are talking prices...
how about price and shipping to sweden?

This looks as a must have part.

/Johnny

Maybe you want to ask some of your buddies if they want some so that we can save on shipping. Please email me. Thank you.

tlsotf
2009.02.13, 12:37 PM
You have a PM

Tjay
2009.02.13, 12:50 PM
Thanks. Check you inbox.

tudor_47
2009.02.13, 03:41 PM
Maybe you want to ask some of your buddies if they want some so that we can save on shipping. Please email me. Thank you.

Yjay!
I have sent you an email.
/Johnny, also known as tudor_47

Tjay
2009.02.13, 05:45 PM
Got it. :) Thanks! I'm talking to you distributor now.

benmlee
2009.02.14, 11:12 PM
It would be nice if someone make some 2mm shims too. I thought about this before, but the width of the ridge on wheels are not all the same. Some thin 2mm shims would minimize freeplay.

color01
2009.02.21, 09:03 PM
Washers arrived, TJ, I just slapped them on my car. Now I haven't done any track testing yet (nor will I have time to for a while), but on the bench these things are amazing! The play is very much reduced; I'll try it out in my dorm room tonight, I expect a huge increase in steering precision. :) And I'll definitely be writing about these shims in this week's "color0 blog". ;)

Tjay
2009.02.22, 02:32 AM
That's awesome Brian! Keep us posted. :)

color01
2009.02.22, 06:42 AM
First impressions:

Dang! It noticeably improves steering response and precision. I love knowing exactly where my car is going to turn in -- getting consistently within 2 inches of my corner dots used to be a challenge, and now I can do it with ease, despite the crappy carpet in my hallway.

Furthermore, because steering response was improved I can turn down the steering quick-response on my EX-1 UR to improve steering centering. (For those who don't know about this... a steering quick-response setting of over 80% on the EX-1 UR makes the Mini-Z servo overshoot center a bit.) No more wandering on the back straight for me!

Best $7.50 I've spent yet, these two simple shims have made my MRCG just that much more enjoyable to drive (as if it weren't enough already :cool:).

hpgod
2009.02.23, 10:09 AM
Do you have one in works for F1 also?

ianc
2009.02.23, 02:38 PM
Really a great idea, but too pricey. I have 7 cars and would have to spend around $50 for them all.

Something more around the $3-4 mark would be doable...

ianc

Tjay
2009.02.23, 03:06 PM
Brian: Thanks and I'm glad you like 'em. With a -1 degree camber, you can have an even wear on your front tires. :) Btw, did I send you two? I told the wife to send you two..

hpgood: not yet. We are still trying to have something for the AWD. ;)

ianc: I had it made locally not in HK, China, Taiwan, etc... This was made locally (in USA). It is precision made and I didn't order much because it costs me a lot to have them made. However I did lower the price to $6.50 shipped. If you're buying in bulk (at least 10 pcs). I'll try to work something out.

Thanks!

color01
2009.02.23, 07:32 PM
0.5 camber with wider track should also be fine, I think, that's what I'm trying for with the new Mod Pan setup. I got two shims, was I supposed to get two pairs? That'd be nice -- please read below for why.

However, the bad news... I can't get the shims to work with PN spoked wheels. The spacing between the bearings is greater than with the PN Delrin dishes, so that shim is just kinda chilling between the bearings and doing no work. :( I'll have to do some CA glue engineering to get it to work, either that or I'm limited to running dish wheels only with these shims. Having another pair of shims for my spoked rims would not be a bad idea at all

EMU
2009.02.23, 08:42 PM
Have these been tested with Atomic or Kyosho wheels?

lfisminiz
2009.02.23, 09:26 PM
I got mine all in. They work well. Looking forward to what else you guys got comming.

TJ - do the make of bearing make any difference as far as fit? I do have all PN dish rims. Some are perfect and some are just the slightest bit loose. In other words i can tighten nut tight on some and others i have to back of the slightest bit BUT not as much as much as without the spacers.:)

Jace1283
2009.02.23, 09:41 PM
this is the alpha release right Tjay? Maybe in the future the guys at FPR will develop a whole little perfected kit but i'm lucky enough to have found some thin shims that are the same size as the front axle of mr-02, they are actually slot car parts but i dont know the size or where to find them but thats my recommendation to you guys if you need adjustment with FPR's shims.

Tjay
2009.02.24, 03:00 AM
I got mine all in. They work well. Looking forward to what else you guys got comming.

TJ - do the make of bearing make any difference as far as fit? I do have all PN dish rims. Some are perfect and some are just the slightest bit loose. In other words i can tighten nut tight on some and others i have to back of the slightest bit BUT not as much as much as without the spacers.:)

Just flip the bearing. If you look at the bearing, one side of it, the inner raise sticks out more than the other side. You want this side outward, towards the lock nut and the other facing the knuckle.

Tjay
2009.02.24, 03:06 AM
this is the alpha release right Tjay? Maybe in the future the guys at FPR will develop a whole little perfected kit but i'm lucky enough to have found some thin shims that are the same size as the front axle of mr-02, they are actually slot car parts but i dont know the size or where to find them but thats my recommendation to you guys if you need adjustment with FPR's shims.

The spacers were meant to have shims with it but it'll cost more and may not fit other knuckles/wheels.. we have the shims measurements on both inner and outer bearings but there's no need for it now.

color01
2009.02.24, 01:52 PM
Just flip the bearing. If you look at the bearing, one side of it, the inner raise sticks out more than the other side. You want this side outward, towards the lock nut and the other facing the knuckle.
TJ, what bearings are you using? Flipping doesn't look like an option with the Reflex/AVID bearings, as one side is unshielded. I'm currently using a combination of ATM ceramics and VXB shielded bearings and flipping them doesn't seem to make any difference.

Tjay
2009.02.24, 02:04 PM
We measured the spacers with PN and Atomic bearings but bearing is bearing... The AVID/Reflex should fit with no problem. It doesn't matter if it is shielded or not. Only flip the bearings if it is binding.

To check:
tighten the lock nut all the way and spin the wheel.
loosen the lock nut just a tiny bit. Then spin the wheel.
Compare the two. It should spin freely.

color01
2009.02.24, 03:46 PM
Yeah, with the dish rims the Reflex bearings work fine, was just curious. I can cut paper shims to keep the nuts from touching the outer bearing races if need be; but it seems that I'll also have to do that to supplement the shims (when using spoked rims). Will have to do that, and then I'll write up this week's TinyRC blog.

JoeKimble
2009.02.25, 04:02 PM
You have a pm

Tjay
2009.02.25, 04:40 PM
You have a pm

no I don't.

color01
2009.02.25, 08:41 PM
Longer review is up! http://tinyrc.com/forums/blog.php?b=69

Can't wait till you get some of the supplementary shims TJ, I'll be getting some for sure. ;)

lfisminiz
2009.02.25, 10:11 PM
TJ, ill take the shims too.:)

Tjay
2009.02.26, 02:54 PM
Awesome write up Brian! Thank you. I'll let you guys know when the shims are here.

eztuner12
2009.02.26, 06:27 PM
Hi TJ
Excellent solution to an extremely important issue:eek::eek::eek:.
While others are into fabricating & improving secondary parts, you came up with a solution to a primary issue. Considering that the only parts of a car in contact with the road are the wheels/tires. A solution to the wheels wiggling is extremely important, just basic, I would say, before any other improvements or up-grades. Right on target man! Very bright idea a mayor step forward:):):D.
Are you going to design some spacers for the 4wd???...
Thx;)
Cheers

Tjay
2009.02.26, 06:55 PM
Hi Richard,

Thank you for the kind words. We have tried to make a spacer for an AWD before we released the 2wd spacers but it is almost imposibble. However, we are still looking into it. Meanwhile, we have something going on for the 2wd (again ;))... but I still need to do some testing to it. I hope to have it ready before KOPropo's race next week.

-TJ

Felix2010
2009.02.26, 07:35 PM
These are awesome TJ:D I can torque-down my front wheels now just as you said. :)
it's easy to quantify what a difference these spacers make to front-end performance.
I remember when I got my first Z, it was an AWD, and asking my good buddy Flashsp-2 about what to do about tightening the wheel nuts. When I got my first MR02, again I had to compensate for pressure on the front wheel bearings. No more worrying about wheels coming loose. Start with the basics - Smart idea TJ.
Thank you!!!
-Larry

Tjay
2009.02.26, 07:40 PM
Hi Larry,

I'm glad you like it. :) Wait till you see my next product. ;) I send you an email about it when it's done. Thank you :D!

-TJ

blt456
2009.02.26, 09:56 PM
Hey Tjay,
I just emailed you about a couple sets of the spacers...
Thanks,
Luke

eztuner12
2009.02.27, 01:59 AM
Hi Richard,

Thank you for the kind words. We have tried to make a spacer for an AWD before we released the 2wd spacers but it is almost imposibble. However, we are still looking into it. Meanwhile, we have something going on for the 2wd (again ;))... but I still need to do some testing to it. I hope to have it ready before KOPropo's race next week.

-TJ

Possibly if the inside of the knuckles were 100% hollow as a 2wd wheel, a similar spacer could do the job.
Any comments?
Cheers

Tjay
2009.02.27, 01:28 PM
Hey Tjay,
I just emailed you about a couple sets of the spacers...
Thanks,
Luke

emailed you back Luke. Thanks!

Possibly if the inside of the knuckles were 100% hollow as a 2wd wheel, a similar spacer could do the job.
Any comments?
Cheers

you have to see what I have... After KO, I'll ping you. ;)

Jace1283
2009.02.27, 05:19 PM
just put the spacers on my car, its a sc430 with stock kyosho wheels. they are great! definately a must have. easy to install and fit perfect. can tighten right down on the wheel. i can actually see what 2.0 degrees of camber looks like! the wiggle is essentially eliminated. thanks Tjay!

Tjay
2009.02.27, 06:28 PM
Nice! That's good to know that this spacer works on stock wheels. We were only able to test them on aftermarket wheels specifically PN machine cut wheels. :) Glad you like it Jace1283!

herman
2009.03.03, 02:00 AM
hey tjay... congrats on your first product!!!

Tjay
2009.03.03, 02:42 AM
Thanks Herman! When you see Alan, tell him to give you one of my spacers and I'll pay him back when I see him here. He's there right now... again. :)

blt456
2009.03.08, 12:38 AM
I just got around to testing these spacers on my 2wd mod car today. What a difference in the whole front end; I use to have 1mm of wobble which would wiggle my front end around while cornering. Now, my front end is planted and feels more firm. It is nice to be able to torque the lock nuts all the way down too. On the atomic dish wheels, this product works great. Same goes for the PN delrin machine cut wheels.

EMU
2009.03.09, 05:20 AM
I got a chance to use these at the KO race. I used it with Kyosho wheels and Atomic dish wheels. The fit in the Kyosho wheel was perfect. The ATM wheel I couldnt lock the wheel nut down as far, but it was stilly a noticable improvement.

The product works very well. I felt more precision through the corners. Thanks TJ ;)

Tjay
2009.03.23, 03:39 AM
FPR's front wheel spacers are now available at www.tinyrc.com part#: MR0FWBS for much lower price! ;)

Jace1283
2009.03.23, 08:34 PM
nice, i still love these little spacers. Good to have multiple sets, I have different wheels so i just leave the spacers and bearings in rather than switching them all out, makes things easy and fast. Makes it less likely youll lose anything or crack a rim.(you need multiple front bearings and spacers to do that, naturally)
thanks again Tjay

Tjay
2009.03.24, 04:35 AM
I have few of them myself. I hate popping out the bearings so instead I got couple of spacer sets for my front wheels... Glad you still like them J. :)