PDA

View Full Version : Higher Precision Steering For AM Board Mini-Z???

MiamizFinest
2009.03.05, 03:42 AM
Question guys, i know that the mini-z with the AM board drive awsome and the response is great, but the diffrence in steering response and precision from a 2.4 board is just out of this world. When i first drove the 2.4 i was in shock of the diffrence but right now i can't justify spending the money on converting over to 2.4 since the price isnt very wallet friendly.

My question is, is there OR is anyone coming out with, a conversion to give the AM boards that same/similar precision and responce as the 2.4's???

EMU
2009.03.05, 04:28 AM
I dont think that there is anything that you can do with the AM board to give it as much precision as the ASF or AD boards.

Felix2010
2009.03.05, 08:56 AM
EMU is right. The response rate for AM-band is fixed. I believe the claim is the ASF boards have 5x faster response rate compared to AM.
The only thing I can think of that might improve smoothness of your steering (but not speed) is to swap out the stock steering servo gears for PN's white delrin servo gears.

Skv012a
2009.03.05, 09:01 AM
Try to make it oversteer more. There's a steering tie bar by PN and then toe out rods. My thought is that if the car will have extreme oversteer it may compensate for slower radio response. I'd like to try AM MA to test this theory because 2.4 ones are way too sensitive and require 1/2 to 1/3 the steering input to drive well.

Davey G
2009.03.05, 09:12 AM
Question guys, i know that the mini-z with the AM board drive awsome and the response is great, but the diffrence in steering response and precision from a 2.4 board is just out of this world. When i first drove the 2.4 i was in shock of the diffrence but right now i can't justify spending the money on converting over to 2.4 since the price isnt very wallet friendly.

My question is, is there OR is anyone coming out with, a conversion to give the AM boards that same/similar precision and responce as the 2.4's???

All the AM boards including the newer 3010 fetted cars all come with 3004 steering fets. Maybe switch out the 3004 for the 3010's. Does this translate into higher resolution?? Definitely not.. but you will see an increase in precision because of the increase in torque/speed.

hrdrvr
2009.03.05, 09:41 AM
^ Hey Dave, I think you are mistaken. The new ASF boards do not have steering FETs. With the digital steering of the new boards, FETs arent neccesary or used.

I did hear some one on the forum talking abot putting 3010s on their steering FETs though, because they had blown the 3004s. I forgot who/when it was, but to the best of my memory, they didnt have any significant change. Maybe bumping up to the punchy 4562s or something similar would be worth a try. IDK what that would do to the servo motor, which is what I thiknk brought up the conversation Im remembering.

Davey G
2009.03.05, 10:47 AM
Ummmmmm....Derrrrrrrrrr. not sure what I was thinking on this one regarding the 2.4ghz cars. Just looked for myself, hrdrvr is correct... Sorry. I will edit my post. :confused:

CristianTabush
2009.03.05, 12:05 PM
DO NO REPLACE THE FETS ON THE STEERING!!! This makes AM board glitch and not work properly. Why? I have no idea, I just know that I tried it several times when I was still at AM and it never worked.

The difference cannot be replicated by increasing toe-out either. The nature of a digital servo is that it is much more precise and quick. The ability of it to adapt the way it accelerates and stops is what makes it so precise.

eztuner12
2009.03.06, 12:18 PM
Hi MiamizFinest
As others have say, you can’t equal an Am steering to a 2.4Gzs. But you can improve your AM to a significantly satisfactory point.
You can do the following to advance your AM steering by:
Re-wiring the servo motor and Pot with more efficient wires, I will recommend too swap the stock wires for the wires that come on regular micro hobby servos, those that come 3 together, red black and white
Try to reduce the play between steering systems.
Swap the Stock Pot for an ATM VR Pot and make sure the Pot wiper moves smooth and that the signals terminals have a perfect soldering with the wires to the PCB. I’ll recommend Radio shack lead –free Silver bearing solder all @, be sure to use soldering grease (flux) to achieve best solder contact.
Lube your pot with Comm. drop and keep it clean.
Install a 104 motor cap to the steering servo motor.
Spray clean you servo motor and lube the arm shaft bushing on the gear side.
Swap your OM antenna for a Futaba FM antenna wire and calibrate it. When installing the new antenna don’t pass it across the PCB or near the motor wires as they do on the factory, make a little hole on the PCB cover as the 2.4Gzs and pass it across/over the frequency crystal to the antenna tube.
If possible go for a better transmitter for Mini-z as Ko propo this should be the top improvement.
Swap the OM servo gears for ATM precision servo gears.
Place a piece of antistatic plastic paper between the PCB and the motor & servo area. Cover the black square electronic part on top of the PCB that reads CE beside the motor FETs with the antistatic paper too.
. Install a 5.5v power Cap on the battery terminals to the PCB.
Yes long list:eek:, much to do (Part of the hobby), but you will end-up very happy after you feel the difference.
Hope this aids;)
Cheers

wight
2009.03.07, 04:28 AM
Ok I think this shows my age and how bad a driver I am,but,I prefer the slower steering,I find it easier.
Just my slow reactions I guess.