PDA

View Full Version : Dead CORE System

schmenzer
2009.03.08, 10:59 PM
Well folks my CORE loop unit finally quit functioning completely after a period of where it would skip laps regularly. I am going to send it to CORE for testing but I need a backup plan or we are out of the HFAY Series.

What system would you buy today? CORE may do a limited run at $600 a unit but that is pretty spendy especially since I already spend money for one and it now doesn't function.

Any used systems out there.

Thanks,

Greg

byebye
2009.03.08, 11:17 PM
I know this isn't a "help needed core not functioning" thread but what has helped you determine that is in fact the box and not maybe the computer or usb cable or software issue? This would be good info for the rest of us as this really is the first time I've heard of one not working any more.

Thanks!
Kris

schmenzer
2009.03.08, 11:38 PM
Kris,

Tried 2 different computers, 3 different USB cables, with and with out a USB hub. Also tried Flipside's software on both MAC and PC. The Core unit is simply not being recognized. The CORE software does not start up meaning that the box in not being recognized.

For what it it worth, I used a dedicated PC/Windows XP for the timer. Nothing else running on it. I never changed the config from day 1 and for 2 years the system worked great but now it doesn't.

I am hoping that CORE can figure out what is wrong when I send it in.

Greg

imxlr8ed
2009.03.09, 12:02 AM
I was going to suggest a new USB cable too... mine was cutting out too one day and then I swapped it out. My laptop even warned of a power surge at the USB and disabled it until I re-booted it... I was sweating bullets for those few seconds but it has worked fine since I got the new cable on there.

byebye
2009.03.09, 06:41 AM
Kris,

Tried 2 different computers, 3 different USB cables, with and with out a USB hub. Also tried Flipside's software on both MAC and PC. The Core unit is simply not being recognized. The CORE software does not start up meaning that the box in not being recognized.

For what it it worth, I used a dedicated PC/Windows XP for the timer. Nothing else running on it. I never changed the config from day 1 and for 2 years the system worked great but now it doesn't.

I am hoping that CORE can figure out what is wrong when I send it in.

Greg

Cool! I too had problems with missing laps and the timer would just stop working. I went to a stand alone desktop instead of a laptop and that fixed all my issues.

Keep us posted on what CORE finds and the whole experience.

-As far as other timing systems, I've only used CORE and Giro-z. We ran GIR-z in Germany for the 12 hour race. We had a few missed laps but the system was flawless. You just have to make sure that the LED for the transponder can send an unbroken beam to the sensors on the bar overhead. I believe that was reason for some of the missed laps. The transponders are more expensive but the system is cheaper. If you were running it in a business I would suggest club members and locals purchase their own transponders.

I was going to purchase a GIRO-Z system until I heard CORE had a couple more timing systems for sale. I think it's just as good.

Thanks!!!
Kris