PDA

View Full Version : Motor Break in

briankstan
2009.03.12, 02:09 PM
First I want to say great tutorial on the motor break in posted on your website.

Reflex Racing Motor Break In Tutorial (http://www.reflexracing.net/motor_break_in.asp)

I do have a question about your procedure of breaking in a motor at an event, where it is not legal to open the can? not sure it that means you can remove the brushes with the new PN Can or not. In most cases you won't have 2 1/2 hours to break in motors for each class.

I'd like to know what you have found to work best for breaking in you handout motor for the events you participate in.

thanks.

EMU
2009.03.12, 05:21 PM
At the KO race, brushes were sealed, so you could not remove them. I broke in 5 motors together (for me and Bennet) on my MuchMore Motor Master at 2v for about 30 minutes... Used a drop of comm drop and thick oil in the bushings for each motor. Cleaned it out after break in, and used thin bearing oil during the races. My motors were all pretty fast...

I that some people broke in their motors, others didnt. I noticed a pretty large speed difference between my car and Willy Wongs, who did not break in his motor.

If I had more time, I would have broke them in more... About an hour at 1.5v would have been better than 30 minutes at 2v.

I noticed Reflex racers using a slave motor stand on their pit table. That method takes a much longer time, but I am sure that it is worth it...

z3zinho
2009.03.14, 03:49 PM
First I want to say great tutorial on the motor break in posted on your website.

Reflex Racing Motor Break In Tutorial (http://www.reflexracing.net/motor_break_in.asp)

I do have a question about your procedure of breaking in a motor at an event, where it is not legal to open the can? not sure it that means you can remove the brushes with the new PN Can or not. In most cases you won't have 2 1/2 hours to break in motors for each class.

CT can give you a definite answer, but if i'm not mistaken the stock motors in the worlds in vegas had the old can design where you had to open the motor to take the brushes out. I think Cristian used pretty much the same procedure, just didint break in the bushings like in the tutorial.

To speed things up I think you can just use a faster drive motor.

Hope this helps a bit.

CristianTabush
2009.04.07, 09:13 PM
Alberto is correct.

As for the not being able to replace the brushes, we do have to push for races not to limit the brush choice, so long that the motor can stays sealed.

EMU
2009.04.07, 09:15 PM
I am hoping that will come into effect CT... It will make it easier to break in the bushings. And if a brush is compromised during the race, you can simply replace the brush without having to get a new handout.

CristianTabush
2009.04.07, 09:29 PM
BTW Eugene, can you send me some artwork (like your avatar) to the site so that I can finally add the tower bars to Reflex. I just got a pic from Joe, so I can get on it...

EMU
2009.04.07, 10:25 PM
CT, email sent.

K4mp4q
2012.12.03, 01:40 AM

I'd like to know what you have found to work best for breaking in you handout motor for the events you participate in.

thanks.

the link is broken...anyone have the tutorial.....
thanks