PDA

View Full Version : LaCrosse BC-9009? NEW???

Traveler
2009.03.12, 09:32 PM
I recently bought a LaCrosse BC-900 charger from Amazon and I like it, so I ordered another one. It arrived yesterday and is identical in appearance to the first, except for the color of the charger. Instead of a medium blue, my 2nd BC-900 is dark navy blue. I throught this was odd because I ordered them weeks apart from the same vendor. Upon further inspection, I noticed the newer one is a BC-9009. I'd like to know if anyone has a BC-9009 and how it comapres to the BC-900.

Aside from the color, the specs between the 2 are identical and I have found no real differences. Here is a link to the manufacturer's website which shows both the BC-900 and BC-9009 side by side. http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/power.php Any thoughts are appreciated!

pinoyboy
2009.03.13, 03:26 AM
Did you check the highest charge rates you can do? Maybe it can charge 4 batteries at 1.8 amps instead of only 2.

I dunno, just a guess:o

Traveler
2009.03.13, 05:08 AM
No differences that I can see. Specs on the website are identical.

Draconious
2009.03.13, 02:45 PM
Asked the vendor? ;)

Traveler
2009.03.14, 03:33 AM
You think someone at Amazon will take my call and know the answer? I figured I'd get a quicker/better answer here.;)

Traveler
2009.03.18, 05:57 AM
Bump. Anyone know more?

mleemor60
2009.03.18, 06:17 AM
When you first connect the unit to power the number that shows in the last window tells you the version. I have some that are version 33 and some 35. Beyond that try contacting LaCrosse instead of Amazon.

Traveler
2009.03.18, 08:23 AM
Thanks Mike. I have been wondering what the numbers that flash in screens 1, 2 and 4 are for. Will check them when I get home. But my new charger is a new model BC-9009. From the website it looks like the replacement for the BC-900, but no change in stats. Makes me wonder why they are introducing a new model if its the same as the old with a different color scheme.

p.s. Don't forget to get back to me on the email about strengthening the LM body.

mleemor60
2009.03.18, 08:43 AM
I did but the mail was returned with a fatal address error. send another and I will try to reply

Traveler
2009.03.18, 09:01 AM
D-D-D-Done :)

Battery Guy
2009.03.24, 05:17 PM
I've been watching this forum with interest and wanted to chime in. The manuals are now different on La Crosse's website, but still no indication if there are any changes other than color.

The new manual is formatted differently, but as far as I can tell the content is the same.

Some people have postulated that the newer model number may indicate the change to higher mAh ratings for the included batteries, however that doesn't seem to be the case. I ordered one from amazon hoping to get the BC-9009 and I got the BC-900 with the higher mAh rated batteries: 2600 for the AAs and 1000 for the AAAs.

For any of you that have the newer model, can you post the version number that you get when first turning on the unit? At least we can put that theory to rest.

I had emailed customer support at La Crosse about a week before you did, but still no response...

Traveler
2009.03.24, 08:17 PM
I'm subscribed and like you am waiting for a response from someone that knows something. Batteries are the same mAh as my BC-900.

Here is a picture of the two units side-by-side with the version numbers showing. Hope they come through as I took it with my cell phone.

Battery Guy
2009.03.25, 01:44 PM
Interesting. Same version. La Crosse is going to get a lot of calls unless they specify what is the difference. More and more it seems like they are identical.

Does anyone know what the first two numbers on start-up mean? I read somewhere on another forum, but now I can't find it.

Battery Guy
2009.03.25, 09:33 PM
Answer to my own question: it looks like the first two numbers are raw data from the temperature sensors. You'd have to use a table to figure out what the readings translate to in degrees.

eztuner12
2009.03.26, 01:09 AM
I've been watching this forum with interest and wanted to chime in. The manuals are now different on La Crosse's website, but still no indication if there are any changes other than color.

The new manual is formatted differently, but as far as I can tell the content is the same.

Some people have postulated that the newer model number may indicate the change to higher mAh ratings for the included batteries, however that doesn't seem to be the case. I ordered one from amazon hoping to get the BC-9009 and I got the BC-900 with the higher mAh rated batteries: 2600 for the AAs and 1000 for the AAAs.

For any of you that have the newer model, can you post the version number that you get when first turning on the unit? At least we can put that theory to rest.

I had emailed customer support at La Crosse about a week before you did, but still no response...
Hi Battery Guy
I have both units and they are the same to me, as a fact they are both 35 series.
By the way the bluish gray came defective and had to pull some strings to get a replay from Lacrosse CS after a moth of waiting.:mad::mad: but the solution was ok.
Wait sitting down for a reply from Lacrosse CS so you won’t get tired, that’s if the ever reply. So different from Maha they, reply with answers and solutions in hours, if not minutes.
Cheers ;)

Battery Guy
2009.03.30, 01:32 PM
Amazing--I got a response from La Crosse! Apparently there is no real difference between the two units. Here is the email I received:

LA CROSSE TECHNOLOGY SUPPORT INFORMATION

Dear XXX,

Model Number: BC900 Charger

Please Refer to case number XXXXX in all future correspondence.

The only difference between the BC900 and the BC9009 is the color of the units.

Regards,

Michelle

Technical Support Representative
LaCrosse Technology
2817 Losey Boulevard S
LaCrosse, WI 54601

Traveler
2009.03.30, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the update BG. It confirms what I suspected, but leaves me wondering why they felt the need to change the model number...:confused:

eztuner12
2009.03.30, 01:58 PM
Amazing--I got a response from La Crosse! Apparently there is no real difference between the two units. Here is the email I received:

LA CROSSE TECHNOLOGY SUPPORT INFORMATION

Dear XXX,

Model Number: BC900 Charger

Please Refer to case number XXXXX in all future correspondence.

The only difference between the BC900 and the BC9009 is the color of the units.

Regards,

Michelle

Technical Support Representative
LaCrosse Technology
2817 Losey Boulevard S
LaCrosse, WI 54601

Wow!!! It must be a new Lacrosse CS reply world record, about 2 weeks to reply.
It seems this model will stuff more mAh to your batteries. My Orion 900s (4 sets) are showing over 1100 mAh at the end of a charge and less than a 3% mAh difference between cells, pretty good match for unmatched batteries. I am accomplishing more run time and yes more power from my Orion 900s:):):). So I am using it to peak all my battys after a 1000MA discharge in my Maha and a 1000ma charge. Too bad Lacrosse highest discharge capability is 500ma. BTW, when I discharge & charge my batteries I place the equipment over a Hobby fan in line to keep it cool.
Cheers;)

Battery Guy
2009.03.30, 02:02 PM
I agree. It's not usual to change a model number for something as insignificant as making the color navy instead royal blue. I've been thinking about it for a while. Maybe it's a statement they intend to compete against the Maha C9000. Who knows?

eztuner12
2009.03.30, 02:36 PM
Well to me Maha is way superior in all directions, including their superb Customers Support Service, So La Crosse will have to improve a lot. If I would knew about Maha before Lacrosse, I would sacrifice myself in other ways to be able to pay the extra $20 for the Powerx Maha C-9000 Wizard One equipment, no second thoughts about it. Not only a more sophisticated equipment, it has more options too and it takes good care of your batteries, somehow my batteries last longer when treated with Maha C-9000 than with the Lacrosse BC-900 Life of Batteries last less with Lacrosse, at least my experience over many batteries used. This is why I am using my latest Lacrosse to peak my batteries only, and on top of a hobby fan, otherwise they would become extremely hot.
Cheers

EMU
2009.03.30, 04:31 PM
I agree with a few things you said Richard. I think that the Lacrosse has a more aggressive charge at the same charge rate. My cells feel faster coming off the Lacrosse at 700mA compared to the Maha at 1A. I have to charge at 1.5A to feel that the cells have punch to them... I also feel that the Lacrosse tops off the batteries more higher than the Maha. Also, it is smaller, so I can bring 2 with me to the track instead of one Maha charger...

The Maha is better for discharging, and cycling (since it has the rest period to allow the cells to stabilize). I dislike the fact that the Lacrosse automatically charges after a discharge. I do prefer the display on the Lacrosse better as well.

Normally, I charge with my Duracell 30 minute. Pull the cells when the lights go out, then peak on the Lacrosse at 1A to bring the voltage up and top off the cells right before a run.

I usually leave my Maha at home when I go race, but use it to condition my cells a few days before race day. My Lacrosse and Duracell chargers come with me. I find that the Duracell chargers, or any 15-30 minute chargers for that matter do not top off the cells until after the lights go out, and then they trickle... They do 80% of the charge fast, then trickle to top them off.

eztuner12
2009.03.30, 04:52 PM
Hi EMU
Yes, the Maha is twice the size :(of the Lacrosse. I also like the Break-in option on the Maha:).
By the way, months back I received a damaged Lacrosse BC-900 and before I throw it away, I opened and noticed a screw like brass color device that would turn to both directions as a High-fi volume control without the knob, any idea for what it could be, perchance to adjust mAh out-put or temperature sensor control :confused:
Cheers

Battery Guy
2009.04.05, 10:28 AM
I've been tempted to use a hobby fan on my batteries, like Richard. I actually bought one a couple of weeks ago, before I got my BC-900/BC-9009. In the mean time Ive been doing some reading. Using a fan with NiMH may be a double-edged sword. It is true that heat is bad for your rechargeables, but so is overcharging. It seems the most discussed method for terminating the charge cycle is when the voltage reaches negative dV/dt. As the battery reaches maximum capacity, the rate of voltage change slows down and theoretically peaks causing a negative slope or value. It sounds like this is most dramatic in NiCds. A NiMH has a much softer peak and may even plateau. There is a possibility that artificially cooling the batteries may make it more difficulty for the charger to detect -dV/dt. Because of this plateau, some chargers are reported to use dT/dt for detecting a sudden rise in temperature. This non-linear temperature change happens at maxiumum capacity in both NiCd and NiMH, too. I'm not sure if the La Crosse uses this for terminating a cycle or just has a max. temp. cutoff (127 deg. F) that delays the charge for a cool down period before resuming, as described in the manual. Either way, I'm not sure enough about what the electronics are doing to say that using a fan won't increase the amount of time your batteries get an overcharge. In any case, which is worse, overcharging or overheating? I don't know who knows the answer to that one. From what I can tell, even different battery manufacturers are at odds with their recommendations about how to treat NiMH batteries. It's a shame, because it would be fairly easy to design some simple studies to figure all of this out. In conclusion, I can think of one case where a fan would be undoubtedly beneficial--a cheap, timed charger. Good luck deciding whether to use a fan on a smart charger--I'm still undecided. :cool:

eztuner12
2009.04.05, 05:10 PM
Hi Battery Guy
Excellent observation and point;). I really do not have an answer to your quest regarding Heat Vs Overcharge, I guess both are bad to your batteries. I think/guess that the Lacrosse, as well as the Maha will not overcharge the batteries if the charging assigned capacity dose not exceeds the battery limits, but heat will interrupt the charging process before it reaches it designated charging limit or A/MA. What I can tell you is that since the day I started to use the hobby fan during discharging, charging & right after I finish a run, my batteries lives last much longer and maintain a good power too.
I am no expert in batteries and certainly would like to learn more and more about them, since they are not cheap and the power performance of this little toys depend 100% on the quality and well been of the batteries. So if anybody here in this forum, can provide us with good and “veritable” :rolleyes: information, please kick in and give us the right orientation we need.:)
Thxxx…
Cheers;)

soyverde
2009.04.07, 09:50 AM
As far as I understand things, cooler is always better when charging batteries. You will get better capacity, and do less damage to cells if they are charged in a cooler environment. The biggest worry for missing the delta peak on the lacrosse chargers (again, as I understand it), is when you charge at rate far lower than 1C (say 200mAh on a 1000mAh cell). I believe the BC-900 (and therefore likely the 9009) only use dV, so the temperature cutoff in that charger is essentially just a failsafe. I don't use a fan myself, though I do always use it in a cool room with a fan going, on a large piece of aluminum . :D

I generally look to the Candle Power Forums (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=217683) for any battery questions I have, as those guys are incredibly well versed in battery/charger technology.

eztuner12
2009.04.07, 02:10 PM
Hi soyverde
Excellent page for batteries info thanks!!!:)
Cheers

EMU
2009.04.07, 04:24 PM
I check out that forum a lot to learn about charging these small cells... Most of the data is for AA, but since its on the same chargers, it is applicable.

eztuner12
2009.04.07, 05:02 PM
Hey EMU
Here is a matching procedure. I read in other thread you were inquiring about matching batteries correctly, according to the writer Tom.
This is the link:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=2237081&postcount=10
Hope it helps!
Cheers;)

Timmig
2009.08.02, 06:26 PM
Those are cool little chargers--but you should look into the Maha chargers you can buy on Amazon.

T

Timmig
2009.08.02, 06:27 PM
Those are cool little chargers--but you should look into the Maha chargers you can buy on Amazon. I just got my two for less than $100 Shipped to my home.
They are awsome!!! Exactly what I need for AAA and AA charging for Mini Z's.
Check them out!! Maha MH-C 9000-- I paid $45.00 for them. I see the've gone up $10--but their still the best charger for what you need if you're going racing.
T