PDA

View Full Version : F1 Constructors and Drivers Championship(2009)

cowboysir
2009.03.21, 07:38 PM
Hey,

Figured with the season one week away we can start a new thread.

If no-one minds, I would like to post my race review highlights since I am a huge fan of the premier class of motorsport...I am a bit biased (towards Ferrari of course) but the guys at GSR know (from the thread I maintain there) I am usually fair towards all drivers.

(Except Fernando Alonso who I think is the biggest douche in the universe.:D)

As a prep for the season, I have paying attention and scanning the test data from some of the winter sessions:

Ferrari seems strong and reliable posting some decent times near the end of winter testing.

Brawn/Mercedes seem really quick but everyone seems unsure of fuel loads during "fast lap" postings.

McLaren better be sandbagging their test sessions because they seem really slow.

There is also some discussion about a couple teams that have formulated an interesting rear diffuser design based on vague/improper wording of the new regulations. There is a good chance that if their design stands (and isn't ruled illegal) there will MUCH closer racing this year among all the teams...as long as their front wings stay on in the first corner.;)

ruf
2009.03.21, 11:11 PM
Go Williams! Gotta root for the last gentleman driver's team! Though I would have to say that Brawn GP is the new cinderella story if they can pull it off.

Gotta love them making Honda second guess their decision. I remember calling people a year ago, "Dude, Honda just picked up Brawn!" No one cared, and after struggling with the legacy designs of Geoff Willis all throughout 2008, I stopped caring as well. Of course Brawn couldn't change the 2008 car since it had been designed long before he was even in play. But the 2009 car's performance is clearly an extension of his design expertise. It seems that Brawn has had the time to put his stamp on the car and the thing is flying!

Someone mentioned USF1 to me, and I asked "who's going to design their car? There's only so many Newey's and Brawn's in the world..." Just goes to show that there are a select few that have figured it out and the rest are just trying to catch up.

Rune
2009.03.22, 04:49 AM
USF1 has changed name to USGPE.

Rory Byrne also has to be metioned when talking about great designers. A few of his cars has demolished the field. He has retired, and Aldo costa took over his role.
Maybe they ould tempt him back;)

It is great that some more privateers is entering F1.

I am hoping for Brawn GP to shine. They have at least done so in testing. Williams also looks to be quick, and hopefully they will be able to compte against the bigger teams.
Toyota has about the same diffusor design as Brawn and Wiliams, and the car looks fast in testing.

I am also hoping Ferrari to be among the top runners. Kimi looks fitter than ever, so hopefully he has upped his game. The championship is not the same without them fighting in the top.
The car has had a few reliability problems in esting, but hopeully that is sorted out. The KERS system hass been menioned as cause for the problems.

Alonso is always doing great, so i guess he can also be reckoned with. the Renault seems to have found some speed, but seems to eat rear tires like the McLaren.

Newey and Red Bull also looks very good, but it is difficult to judge from the testing.

As far as I can see, the only teams to have confirmed using KERS in the first race is Renault & Ferrari.

Predictons for Australia is that one of these will come out on top:
Ferrari, BrawnGP, Renault with Alonso, Toyota, Red Bull with Vettel.

Ton
2009.03.22, 07:00 AM
I think that Ferrari will win the F1 Constructors Championship 2009 and Fernando Alonso (the best) will win the Drivers Championship 2009.

Predictions for Australia is:
-1st:Fernando Alonso.
-2nd:Kimi Raikonen.
-3rd:Felipe Massa.

Best regards from Spain.

eztuner12
2009.03.24, 03:48 PM
Constructors;
1st definitely Ferrari, but my heart goes out for BMW.
2nd MB
3rd BMW
4TH Renault

Pilots;
1st Hope Kimi Raikonen.
2nd Felipe Massa.
3rd Fernando Alonso.
4th Whatever Hamilton.

MantisMMA
2009.03.24, 06:56 PM
http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1529569285?bctid=10497901001

WOW!

ruf
2009.03.24, 07:21 PM
Great vid, Marcus!

eztuner12
2009.03.24, 07:23 PM
http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1529569285?bctid=10497901001

WOW!

Yesss... WOW!:eek:
Thx man!:)
Cheers

cowboysir
2009.03.28, 11:57 AM
I'll post my full synopsis of the race weekend tomorrow but to prep everyone for some tight racing:

1.Brawn GP takes the front row in qualifying.
2. Q2 qualifying showed a 3/10ths difference from P1 to P10:eek:
3. Hamilton has a gearbox change and will start P20:D
4. The Ferrari's are somewhere in the third/fourth row after Q3.:eek:

From what i understand, the complaints about the legality of the diffusers on Brawn, Toyota and Williams may drop and other teams may have some catching up to do...

As an FYI, I'd love to see someone do a Virgin/BrawnGP (Branson signed the sponsorship deal yesterday)color scheme for their Z-F1...a whitebody with some classy pinstriping is all it would take.

hrdrvr
2009.03.28, 12:32 PM
Just finished watching qualifying. Those Brawn cars a FAST!! :eek: It was pretty cool for me to get to see Button, Rubens, and Vettel on the press conference together. Its going to be an interesting year for sure!

While you guys are throwing predictions out there, I cant even begin to make one. I hope ferrari does well, but thats all I can say :confused:

I was a little skeptical about all the new rule changes, but this definitely looks like its going to turn into the most interesting F1 season Ive ever watched. Im looking forward to some high speed, high quality, racing entertainment :D

eztuner12
2009.03.28, 01:09 PM
Hi Gentlemen.
Just loved Mr. Richard Branson BIG laugh at the end. Is good to be wealthy!!!!:):D:D:D
Cheers

briankstan
2009.03.28, 01:58 PM
that video is freaking awesome !! I can't say I really like the new front wings, they just don't look right.

Funny how they changed the rules to slow the cars down, but they were faster than last year on the same track, in fact they Brawn GP were getting pretty close to the track record set MS in 2004.

Pretty cool, and I'm so glad the season is finally here. it should be a good race tomorrow (tonight). Can't wait to watch it. I hope ferrari does well, but It's always exciting to see new teams doing well. I hope the USF1 will have a similar debut in 2010. ;)

edhchoe
2009.03.29, 11:23 AM
Is there any way to watch the F1 races Online for free? I am too cheap to pay for cable.

cowboysir
2009.03.29, 11:24 AM
Well, if it couldn't be a Ferrari I'd say that's the second best outcome ever for the opening GP of the season.

As i mentioned, Brawn GP scored a front row start and it looked like it was setting up to be an interesting start. Toyota had been given penalties for irregular rear wings (didn't conform to flex standards) so they had started from the pit lane and both Ferraris and Kubica of BMW would start on the option tire to get some initial grip to gain places.

The start turned great for Button but Barrichello had his anti stall kick in and dropped quite a few spots on the grid. Into the first corner it went Button, Vettel, Massa and Kubica and then ther mayhem started. In a weird coming together, Rubens was pushed into a couple cars and started a four car squishing which led to the retirements of Kovaleinnen and Mark Webber, with the first front wing off was a tie beteen Kovaleinnen and Sutil of Force India (missed winning the local betting pool on that one:()

Things settled down for a bit with the soft tire runners showing good early pace but were fading fast. Button stayed clear of everyone and allowed things to shape up behind him.

Things got a little hectic right around the first safety car (caused by Nakajima getting into the wall at turn 4ish). With the long safety car competitors lost a lot of temperature in the tires and brakes, with Massa seeming to suffer the most(lots of lockups). Button maintained composure and kept the lead carefully after the restart.

The Middle of the race was barely worth noting until both Raikkonnen and Massa having troubles with their cars...Massa retired with a mechanical and Raikkonnen retired near the end.

With the last pit stop out of the way and about 12 laps to go things were heating up again. With the regulations about tire choices requiring one of each style needing to be used during the race, the soft choice was being used by many of the front runners. Since Kubica had used his in the first stint, he had much more pace on the primes going into the final laps. He was gaining fast on Vettel when the worst happened.

Into turn two, Kubica decided to try to go outside Vettel after Vettel looked like he was braking early due to his tires. In viewing the replay, Vettel loses the rear tires a bit and slides slightly into the corner. Since Kubica viewed the early brake move as weakness he felt obliged to shut the door on turn 2 which caused them to collide body and wheels and cause their front wings to come off...with no front grip they both collide with the walls in different sections of the turn four/five area of the track. They hand P2 back to Rubens Barrichello. With a safety car as the finish, Brawn GP score a one/two from not even being a complete team three weeks ago.:eek: Jarno Trulli grabs the final podium spot after being in the right place at the right time. One other noteworthy finish was Lewis Hamilton's fourth place after starting at the back of grid...it won't be like that again unless they improve their car or they get extremely lucky like they did in this race.

My Ferrari hat's off to BrawnGP on their maiden win and 2nd place finish. If the disputes about their rear diffuser goes in their favour it is a great start to what will be a tricky F1 season.:D

Anybody got a whitebody they can sell me? I want to do up a BrawnGP Z-F1:D

edhchoe
2009.03.29, 12:12 PM
From your experience with Kyosho for the last several years, does Kyosho come out with the f1 bodies near the beginning of the season or after the season is over or what? I can't wait to put on a new style body on my f1. :)

briankstan
2009.03.29, 03:06 PM
From your experience with Kyosho for the last several years, does Kyosho come out with the f1 bodies near the beginning of the season or after the season is over or what? I can't wait to put on a new style body on my f1. :)

usually they are about 2 years behind. I wouldn't plan on seeing a new one anytime soon. :mad:

ruf
2009.03.29, 09:58 PM
Fastest lap to Nico!

hrdrvr
2009.04.01, 09:06 AM
madF1man, just posted this in another thread :eek:

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/090401093727.shtml

madf1man
2009.04.01, 09:16 AM
Thanks, forgot about this thread.

edhchoe
2009.04.01, 10:34 AM
Lewis Hamilton switching teams?? Is that a April fool's joke?

cowboysir
2009.04.01, 01:07 PM
If it was true (which i honestly doubt) it would be really stupid...BrawnGP are doing well because no-one else technology has caught up yet. Once the European races start things will start heating up in the normal front runners again.

It's got to be a joke.;)

hrdrvr
2009.04.01, 01:39 PM
I hope its a joke. I would be dissapointed in Brawn if they dropped one of their drivers this early in the season, especially after the places they finished last sunday.

madf1man - How reliable is that site usually with news? I dont see anything about this on the Formula1.com site, and Im sure they would have it as a headline if it was released to the press.

eztuner12
2009.04.01, 02:34 PM
I hope its a joke. I would be dissapointed in Brawn if they dropped one of their drivers this early in the season, especially after the places they finished last sunday.

madf1man - How reliable is that site usually with news? I dont see anything about this on the Formula1.com site, and Im sure they would have it as a headline if it was released to the press.

I agree with your saying
Cheers

ruf
2009.04.01, 04:04 PM
Guys. Of course it's a joke.

madf1man
2009.04.01, 04:22 PM
If its on the internet it must be true;)

edhchoe
2009.04.01, 04:26 PM
Sadly, wikipedia is my best resource nowadays...

hilldebrandt
2009.04.01, 06:31 PM
I'm surprised that no one has commented on the rule change that happened less than a week before the first race :

The Driver with the most wins this season will win the championship.
Second place on down will be determined by points.
Owner championship will be determined same as past seasons.

IMO an absolutely stupid rule......

ruf
2009.04.01, 06:37 PM
This was cancelled for this season.

EMU
2009.04.01, 07:17 PM
I do think that it is kind of stupid to determine the champion solely on wins. The points system is better. You can have a driver that gets say 5 wins, and crashes out the rest of the races. If the next driver finishes with 4 wins, and 2nd place in all the other races... he would demolish the first driver in points, but not win the championship.

I am glad that they did not implement the rule change this year, and I hope that they dont next year either.

hilldebrandt
2009.04.01, 07:23 PM
Thanks, Ruf.
I didn't get to see the first race, and hadn't heard that they cancelled that rule....

edhchoe
2009.04.01, 07:43 PM
What happens if there is a five way tie?

EMU
2009.04.01, 08:56 PM
I assume that either the one with the most points ,or the most 2nd place finishes would win.

hrdrvr
2009.04.01, 10:06 PM
^ Im pretty sure I read somewhere that tie breaks would be done by points.

I dont like the idea either. There are always drivers who are mathematically out of championship contention pretty early on. You would have guys like that risking everything to get wins and have a shot at the title. It would make for some exciting racing, but it could get dangerous and heated. Id hate to see some one who is consistantly at the front get their hopes ruined by some one who really doesnt deserve the title, but still has a shot by taking drastic measures.

leonen
2009.04.03, 02:33 PM
The tie is always defined by:

Most Points
Most Wins
Most Second Places
Most Podiums

It`s really weird that two or more drivers would tie on ALL four items....

But in F1 anything can happen. As it did in the final race of 1997, where 3 drivers matched exactly on the same qualifying time up to the milliseconds!!!!

In that case the position in the grid was according to the moment in which they registered that time. The guy that got it first, was on pole.

So i think that the fifth item on the list would be... who done it first!

eztuner12
2009.04.03, 09:35 PM
So Hamilton was disqualified from his third place finish at Australia, for his role in deliberately misleading the FIA stewards. Bad bad boy.:rolleyes:
Cheers

cowboysir
2009.04.04, 09:20 AM
Boy was qualifying crazy...

In a continuation of last weeks performances, The Brawn, Williams and Toyota teams showed some excellent pace, no doubt due to the technical loopholes found in the rear diffuser regulations. Brawn and toyota will split the front row with Jenson Button taking P1.

Some other teams left wanting were Ferrari, with a surprising q1 elimination of Felipe Massa.:eek: What showed to be a rapidly improving track forced felipe down 15 places from P2 to P16 and with no time to get on circuit felipe is forced to struggle from the rear of the filed tomorrow. Raikkonnen could do no better than P9 but with some penalties to other drivers will move up a bit.

McLaren had another poor showing and failed to advance past q2. I don't know exact grid positions for the Mercedes drivers but it will be a struggle to find pace for them...from reports they have poor grip from the prime tire and can't make the option tire last more than a few laps. Sucks to be them.:D(showing my bias?)

With rain expected, who knows how the race will shape up. Rest assured, the long straight into turn one will bring some chaos wet or dry...I'm betting that Hamilton is the front wing loser with him getting pinched by other drivers into turn one.;)

edhchoe
2009.04.04, 10:31 AM
Is Speed channel the only way to watch the race in the US?

eztuner12
2009.04.04, 10:36 AM
Is Speed channel the only way to watch the race in the US?

HI edhchoe,
Fox Sports too at 5:am ET
BTW, it will be a very interesting race event, ENJOY IT!!!
Cheers;)

edhchoe
2009.04.05, 12:23 PM
I guess Brawn MB is making an early break away in the constructor's title. I am surprised by the Toyota's success, however. Will Ferrari even podium this season? haha...

cowboysir
2009.04.05, 03:54 PM
I don't really know how to summarize this race other than to say the weather made for the deciding factor.

With BrawnGp lining up Button in P1, the teams had to make some serious efforts to curb the pace of the Brawn F1 car. A very lackluster start from Button (gearbox slippage?) let Rosberg and Trulli past him into turn one and the rest of the filed mixing it up well due to Kubica's engine failure on the line. Things were shaping up to be very exciting.

The weather stayed dry up to the normal first pit window with some small action happening in the midfiled. alonso showed some very poor defense with a heavier car and let quite a few cars past him during the first stint.

Rosberg, being the lightest fueled, was the first of the front runners to pit with after him one lap later. By that time Button was hitting his stride with a light car and good grip to overtake both of them for the lead after the first pit window played out. In a ridiculous gamble, Ferrari put Raikkonnen out on full wets for three to four laps before any real weather beagn, effectively ruining his chances at any sort of points. I don't think I've ever seen anything so stupid...everyone knows you race on the tire that's needed for the real weather and not the expected weather. That mistake cost him over 30 seconds a lap.

Ans so the rain started and the tire mayhem began.:D

It first started with a light shower and some cars switched to full wet and a few to intermediates. One inter runner was Timo Glock who tore through the field some 8 seconds a lap faster than the full wet runners. Button held his lead after his first full wet tire pit and continued a free pace.

Sensing the intermediate was a good choice for a bit, the top runners all decided to switch. Button pitted and lost his lead to Glock.

Button was clearly on the faster tire and car (fresh rubber is good.:D) and took very little time to regain his lead.

Then the skies opened up!:eek: I don't think that I've ever seen rain this hard in an F1 race...the cars were literally creating wakes off the front bargeboards.

Anyhow, after a quick switch to full wets for everyone (that's four stops in less than an hour for most drivers) the race was red flagged for safety reasons.

Long story short, the race clock counted down to the race finish under red flag conditions. Button takes the win and due to the lap countback, Heidfeld gets second and Glock gets third place.

Due to the race not completing 3/4 race distance drivers were only awarded half points so Button goes into round three with 15points and Barrichello countinues into Bahrain with 10.5 points...a great result from a very crazy weather affected race.

For Ferrari fans take a little solace in the fact that Felipe Massa was on a charge on intermediates right before the sky opened and with a bit more time may have made a couple points...their car looks good they just need to get someone making the right decisions for them. With M.Schumacher at the first two races of the season, I'm hoping they are grooming him for the role of race director. That'd be something to see....:p

eztuner12
2009.04.05, 05:15 PM
Hi to all
To me, it was an excellent event:), too bad the rain ruined it for us:mad:.
Cheers

ruf
2009.04.05, 09:36 PM
I was jumping up and down pumping my fists in the air for the first 15 minutes where Rosberg gapped Trulli and Button... I was so happy until those knuckleheads put him on full wets instead of intermediates... And then intermediates instead of full wets... I've only been to Malaysia once, and even I know how the rain works there. :( Glock's engineer got it spot on.

cowboysir
2009.04.05, 11:08 PM
Most of the teams got it really wrong...from past experiences the rain usually hits in one massive downpour and doesn't pussyfoot around like it did. It's unfortunate that Glock stayed on his intermediates a tiny bit too long to keep their grip and got hounded by both Jenson and Heidfeld.

All in all some very surprising podium finishers this year. With the usual front running teams(ferrari and McLaren) scoring 1/2 point between the two teams it could very well be a tough year for them. With the court decision about the "illegal" diffusers of the three teams in the gunsights, the rest of the field will most likely have to play catch up if the dispute goes in BrawnGP, Toyota and williams favour. My opinion is that if the wording is vague enough to allow a variation that works better, then let the technology have it's day in the sun!

BTW, it's funny how the new rules were made to slow down the cars and level the filed betwen teams and Jenson Button breaks the qualifying lap record by almost a second...faster cars and more money money spent to make new cars for new rules.:eek:

Cost savings?...nope.:D

edhchoe
2009.04.06, 10:40 AM
If FIA wants to level the field why don't they provide a specific exterior design for all parts of the car? Why do they set themselves up for this kind of loopholes?

cowboysir
2009.04.06, 04:23 PM
Well, that's exactly what the parameters entailed...they set the dimensions of the diffuser rear section but didn't specify whether teams had to use two exit planes or three. The "irregular' teams diffusers have gone with three exit planes and have extended the rear wing sides downwards to get two extra side planes. apparently it gives air under the car great direction for downforce and rear tire traction.

The hearing decision is tomorrow...

edhchoe
2009.04.06, 07:19 PM
If the winning designs didn't violate the stated rules, they should either be allowed or the rule book should be re-written. The FIA officials are idiots. F1 engineers out-smarted them. hahahaahaha

ruf
2009.04.06, 09:56 PM
The FIA officials are idiots. F1 engineers out-smarted them.That's basically their job.

The funny thing is that Ross Brawn pointed out the vagueness in the rules proposal a year ago, suggested changes, and was ignored. "Told ya so," doesn't even begin to describe it...

eztuner12
2009.04.08, 04:43 PM
Three out of ten teams:confused:, perhaps someone is trying to oust wise the others. Not stupid from the FIA I guess, it is just the way you want to interpret ate words on your behalf. It can happen, that is why there are lawyers and courts. I will wait until next Tuesday for the hearing outcome.
Same is happening with Mc- Mercedes they will have to go to WMSC, for a misunderstanding, here is the news, everyone has a different story http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/4/9159.html
Cheers;)

eztuner12
2009.04.08, 08:21 PM
The new aerodynamics rules variations, regarding the “rear” only mention the wing size & tallness and that the diffuser have to be moved rearward plus have to be longer & higher In line to “reduce down force”, It does not mention any variation in design or the creation of holes as Williams FW31 rear diffuser 'hole'. Which on the contrary “increase down force?”
So again is a matter of interpreting what it is not in black & white. I personally see it not legal because the changes where created in rank to reduce down force, not to increase it.
Now my question is, if it is not illegal, why other teams just add these hole?
Very simple solution. Right?
Cheers

edhchoe
2009.04.08, 09:37 PM
If the other teams can get the court to rule it illegal maybe FIA will take the points away from the winning teams.

cowboysir
2009.04.08, 10:35 PM
The new aerodynamics rules variations, regarding the “rear” only mention the wing size & tallness and that the diffuser have to be moved rearward plus have to be longer & higher In line to “reduce down force”, It does not mention any variation in design or the creation of holes as Williams FW31 rear diffuser 'hole'. Which on the contrary “increase down force?”
So again is a matter of interpreting what it is not in black & white. I personally see it not legal because the changes where created in rank to reduce down force, not to increase it.
Now my question is, if it is not illegal, why other teams just add these hole?
Very simple solution. Right?
Cheers

Unfortunately it's not so easy to get caught up with just a rear diffuser design change.

When a car is built, it goes through wind tunnel testing to apply the new rules and regulations as a whole car. By modifying one part, they more than likely have to redesign other key aspects to balance the car and that could be minor changes or it could involve massive changes down to a whole new tub. It is reported that Ferrari is in the process of a whole new chassis to utilize the possible "illegal" rear diffuser design used.

In some recent articles I've read at SpeedTV, some major players in F1 have discussed the possible reasons behind Ferrari and McLaren's opening performance. Since they spent so much effort competing in last years championship, they focussed all their efforts on the 08 car to challenge against each other while other teams focussed their efforts on the 09 regs. It seems highly plausible that this may be the case...I'd want more than anything to win the championship battle at present instead of the future.

Now that it is 09 and ferrari isn't that behind (even though they've made some unfortunate errors), I'm feeling that a major switch will come with the European races. Whether or not the regs allow the layered diffusers will only strengthen ferrari's wishes for the constructors championship.;)

eztuner12
2009.04.09, 12:00 AM
Hi Cowboysir
The teams that are making of these “holes” a big issue must bring up a good point in line to win a case; it was not FIA whom made the claim. As far as I know, it is "legal" unless there is a rule or law that prohibit it. I really think that if there will be a ruling, it will be in favor of Williams & Toyota.
If I were from the teams that don’t have the holes on the diffusers buy now, I would have some engineers on the tables working on their holes, as well as “redesign other key aspects” not wasting valuable time:rolleyes:, only 8 days for the next race and up to now points are accountable and not exactly in their favor.:eek:
These holes on the rear section of the diffusers aren’t new, they have been @ for a while in other racecars groups, and they really have an impact in improving rear end down force. These holes (in the case of Williams & Toyota chassis two) conduct more direct airflow thru the diffusers, making them more efficient, no rocket science there, just controlling the under chassis airflow.
Cheers

eztuner12
2009.04.09, 12:38 AM
It really would helps :) if someone can find and post some images or drawings of the Williams or Toyota rear diffusers holes or Loopholes. I did saw a few about a month back but can’t find it.
Thxxx!!!;)
Cheers

edhchoe
2009.04.09, 10:58 AM
There is a video on speedtv website.

eztuner12
2009.04.09, 02:49 PM
There is a video on speedtv website.

Hi edhchoe.
Link please.
THAXXX...:)
Cheers

edhchoe
2009.04.09, 04:10 PM
here maybe (http://www.speedtv.com/video/popup/18359576001)

actually it is the one above it. Titled F1: Malaysian GP Chalk talk.

soyverde
2009.04.15, 11:05 AM
Apparently you have to obey the letter of the law, not the rule. ;)

The FIA have ruled in favor of Brawn/Toyota/Williams (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7996698.stm) on this one.

As much as I am a diehard BMW F1 fan, I'm very happy to see a constructor other than Ferrari/McLaren winning races (and an independent team at that). We will probably see some significant changes in the field once they reach Europe.

edhchoe
2009.04.15, 12:48 PM
I agree - smart teams should win.

eztuner12
2009.04.15, 02:00 PM
This was the correct decision to take, I am very happy with it:):). However, very sorry for the other teams, that were focusing on pickiness, as we say “looking for the cat’s fifth leg”, rather than moving their behind on the designer table and doing the holes to the diffusers, if it really helps to the point, to win races. That what they get for been a imbecile.:rolleyes:
Cheers ;)

briankstan
2009.04.15, 03:16 PM
according to the announcers on the speed, the teams that ended up with the diffuser that was being protested were the three teams that didn't have one of their engineers on the meeting that were being held when discussing the new rules.

all teams in attendance of those meeting that helped shape the rules for 2009 season came away with the understanding of what was allowable. now that the season is underway and the teams that didn't choose to attend those meetings were at the freedom to read the rules and come away with their own interpritation of the rule.

of couse they wouldn't overturn the rulings of the race stewards, and thus put and ending to the fairytail beginning of a new team. Now do I think this is fair, not really, did I expect it. absolutely !

for all the cost cutting measures that they say were to make teams more competitve at the same time are going to cost teams lots of money.

Wait until these low budget teams have to put KERS on their cars next year. Let's go green and make something that is a 1 use trick.

ruf
2009.04.15, 04:11 PM
all teams in attendance of those meeting that helped shape the rules for 2009 season came away with the understanding of what was allowable. now that the season is underway and the teams that didn't choose to attend those meetings were at the freedom to read the rules and come away with their own interpritation of the rule.If you are referring to the Overtaking Working Group, that was not a "choice" to attend or participate. The top three teams at the time (Ferrari, Renault, and Mclaren) were nominated to be representative of the entire grid, so it's more of a matter of their opinions and insights being excluded rather than not choosing to attend. Earlier in the year, Brawn actually brought up the ambiguity and suggested changes to eliminate the loophole. Of course he was ignored.

briankstan
2009.04.15, 04:36 PM
If you are referring to the Overtaking Working Group, that was not a "choice" to attend or participate. The top three teams at the time (Ferrari, Renault, and Mclaren) were nominated to be representative of the entire grid, so it's more of a matter of their opinions and insights being excluded rather than not choosing to attend. Earlier in the year, Brawn actually brought up the ambiguity and suggested changes to eliminate the loophole. Of course he was ignored.

Joe, Thanks for the clarification. This is what is wrong with the politics of F1. I love the sport and I love the fact that even though the attempt to slow them down the teams always find a way to claw back what was taken and them some.

I just wish that they would not try to hide the fact that it's a sport for the SUPER RICH to participate in and for the rest of use to just watch in amazement at what is possible with technology and ingenuity. It should be “what can the team do” to make the cars as fast as possible all while keeping the cars as safe and reliable as possible.

A few things they have done to slow the cars just in the last few years.

No more traction control
Completely new design limiting wiglet and areo aids.
Switch from V10's to V8's
Cutting a 1000 revs off the motor this year.
Widening the difference between the 2 sets of tires used at each race.

it seems that they are trying to even the field with things that take thing away from the teams and what they can develop, and giving things that will help everyone.

point in case is removing the areo but giving machanical grip in the form of slick tires over the grooved tires, (which were used as a slowing aid about 11 years ago). this lessened the advantage of the teams that had the better areo package and making them less effective.

Form me the fast that they are trying to promote more passing it completely artificial in the fact the educated fan know that it’s artificial and to me is really pointless and in some case leads to more dangerous racing.

eztuner12
2009.04.15, 05:43 PM
F-1 REGULATIONS FOR 2009.
http://formula-1-racing.net/f1-regulations.htm

Todays F-1 Vision.
http://www.f1network.net/main/s111/st137213.htm
Cheers;)

ruf
2009.04.15, 07:15 PM
I'm ok with promoting more passing. I'm also ok with it being more dangerous. There's a reason why they are paid so much - it's a dangerous job that requires a rare skillset.

My main gripe is how some teams are complaining about how much time and money it will take to redesign. They were ALREADY going to redesign it anyways as the car develops throughout the season. The aero packages change from track to track and most times, an entire chassis only lasts 3-4 races. The team that it was supposed to be the hardest for (Renault) due to their rear crash structure design is going to be the first of the second wave! Renault will debut their new diffusers at Shanghai this weekend. Funny headlines like "Renault will have to redesign the car to accomodate diffuser", hell Renault were going to have to redesign the car just to keep in the top 10 - with or without the diffuser 3. It's a convenient surprise that they are the first to redesign, but for them to blame their poor performance on a diffuser is not telling the whole story.

Red Bull are already on it, and they are just bitter because an otherwise brilliant design by Newey was just lacking this single oversight. I guess the maestro doesn't want to go back and have to repaint the Mona Lisa? Now he's skipping Shanghai to hit the drawing board. Should have been doing that since TESTING...

And the big boys... Ferrari and BMW throwing out inflated numbers for the catchup costs. Like they weren't ALREADY going to spend that much on in-season development?

The lowlight of the season is Ferrari's race management team... HILARIOUS...

briankstan
2009.04.15, 07:32 PM
The lowlight of the season is Ferrari's race management team... HILARIOUS... Pull out Todt and Brawn and you've got a bunch of Italian train conductors...

I'm a ferrari fan, but that one is just to funny. :D they have had some serious issues over the last 2 years.

cowboysir
2009.04.15, 07:53 PM
I don't know if i can totally agree with you ruf and brian about your thoughts on Ferrari's race engineer's lack of talent. When focussed on the lows (Raikonnen getting wets two laps too early) took away from Massa getting the right tires at the right time and unfortunately getting shuffled off with mechanicals.

I do agree that Todt and Brawn were an engineering team of excellent quality but Ferrari did reasonably well in the past couple years without them...winning one year and placing second last year (first as Constructor)is nothing to sneeze at.:D Bad things happen occasionally at every team and good teamwork comes from minizing the damage from these events (and capitalizing from others mistakes).

My problem right now is their dealings with Schumi. I think that their "advisory" role they have him in leaves all sorts of ambiguity as to how serious people should take his advice. Schumi should either take a role as race engineer or pull his ties with Ferrari completely.

As for the diffuser saga and their legality, it honestly does appear that many teams were caught napping. If they can catch up then great but I'm thinking that it's going to be a very tough season for all...with a different driver and constructors champion than usual?

Lets bring up a couple more points:

1. Has this season reduced the costs of an F1 team? (what happens to budgets for the 9 teams without dual diffuser shapes?)

2. Has the OverTaking Group really made closer racing? (I honestly haven't seen as much passing as I thought I would)

3. Have Max and Bernie really succeeded in leveling the playing field and "slowed" the cars down for safety? (With two qualifying records broken and one lap record smashed they don't seem slower at all)

I've got to say that I'm liking the level of discussion in this thread....;)

eztuner12
2009.04.15, 09:49 PM
I don't know if i can totally agree with you ruf and brian about your thoughts on Ferrari's race engineer's lack of talent. When focussed on the lows (Raikonnen getting wets two laps too early) took away from Massa getting the right tires at the right time and unfortunately getting shuffled off with mechanicals.

I do agree that Todt and Brawn were an engineering team of excellent quality but Ferrari did reasonably well in the past couple years without them...winning one year and placing second last year (first as Constructor)is nothing to sneeze at.:D Bad things happen occasionally at every team and good teamwork comes from minizing the damage from these events (and capitalizing from others mistakes).

My problem right now is their dealings with Schumi. I think that their "advisory" role they have him in leaves all sorts of ambiguity as to how serious people should take his advice. Schumi should either take a role as race engineer or pull his ties with Ferrari completely.

As for the diffuser saga and their legality, it honestly does appear that many teams were caught napping. If they can catch up then great but I'm thinking that it's going to be a very tough season for all...with a different driver and constructors champion than usual?

1. Has this season reduced the costs of an F1 team? (what happens to budgets for the 9 teams without dual diffuser shapes?)

2. Has the OverTaking Group really made closer racing? (I honestly haven't seen as much passing as I thought I would)

3. Have Max and Bernie really succeeded in leveling the playing field and "slowed" the cars down for safety? (With two qualifying records broken and one lap record smashed they don't seem slower at all)

I've got to say that I'm liking the level of discussion in this thread....;)

Cowboysir
I 100% agree with your opinion, I was practically on my way writing the same, so you really save it for me.
Guys, I think it is too early to jump with any conclusions, let us wait a little more into the season.
Cheers

rocketman
2009.04.16, 12:06 AM
you've got a bunch of Italian train conductors...[/QUOTE]......and I thought stereotyping was a thing of the past, ruf.

ruf
2009.04.16, 12:28 AM
Sorry if I offended anyone with my poor humor.

eztuner12
2009.04.16, 12:52 AM
Ok! Ferrari admitted they are planning to make significant changes to their 2009 car, after the failure of their Fia appeal against the diffusers used by the Brawn, Toyota and Williams’s teams. According to the news. To me they are back on their foot and going to the right direction. Let us wait for the others as BMW. Just hope they gotten the wake-up call too, they are still on time and in the game!:D
Cheers

ruf
2009.04.16, 12:59 AM

I've got to say that I'm liking the level of discussion in this thread....;)Ah, spoken like a true tifosi... You can't spell "Ferrari" without "F", "I", and "A". :) Now taking out the FIA, all you have is "errr"... :p hahaha! Just poking fun at you. Raikkonen is a hoot.

As for the points:
1) Yes and no. I would argue that KERS is the primary cost adder. To be honest, I have no idea how much it costs to redesign a diffuser. I'm sure that it's significant. I will however go out on a limb and say that I really doubt that the teams were planning to skimp on aero development throughout the rest of the season like they're trying to convince us. By the European season, the cars have completely changed. They're just pissed because they got it wrong for this first round of development.

2) I think that the overtaking has definitely improved this season. Or at least the battling. This is probably down to the combo of KERS, adjustable front aero, and the wider gap between the option tires. The slicks theoretically should help in the low speed corners and also in braking performance, so that should contribute to more passing as well. The reduced aero may let the cars draft a little closer on the straightaway (where the downforce losses aren't as important as for cornering) and then the increased braking envelope should allow for some good late braking manuevers going into slow T1's.

3) I think the slowing the cars down for safety thing is a crock. The only people that are really concerned about the drivers' safety are the drivers. If the GPDA isn't asking for slower cars, then I say go for it. In terms of lap records, you will find that the laptimes are being generated differently this season. While the reduced aero has slowed the cars down in the fast corners, it has sped the cars back up on the straight (making up for the 1,000 rpm drop in rev limit). The slicks have brought the low speed corner speed up, and helped mitigate some of the losses in the fast corners. If you are really concerned about the drivers safety, you have to take into consideration the most dangerous portions of the track. Straightaways and low speed corners are relatively harmless, so let the cars go faster there. The fast corners are where the big shunts take place - and that's where the cars are slower this year. So I propose not caring whether the laptimes are faster this year, but rather slow the cars down in the high risk high speed corners. The only issue I see is that the cars also seem harder to drive in high speed corners which may make them more prone to mistakes despite the lower speeds.

ruf
2009.04.16, 01:10 AM
Ok! Ferrari admitted they are planning to make significant changes to their 2009 car, after the failure of their Fia appeal against the diffusers used by the Brawn, Toyota and Williams’s teams. According to the news. To me they are back on their foot and going to the right direction. Let us wait for the others as BMW. Just hope they gotten the wake-up call too, they are still on time and in the game!:D
CheersAgain, that's my issue with their whining. They act like they weren't going to change the cars in the first place? Like they were planning on keeping the same aero package for the entire season? Fat chance. Most teams (especially the big budget teams) have an entirely new chassis by the time the European rounds start. Even the smaller teams like Williams usually have 2-4 iterations of the chassis throughout the season. And I'm talking about CHASSIS here, not aero package which is developed and changed EVERY RACE. These teams are being drama queens by suggesting that this is going to be some unforeseen line item on their balance sheet.

It's like saying your lunch tastes better than mine today. Boo hoo, now I'll have to buy that for lunch tomorrow instead. I wasn't planning on eating lunch tomorrow... :rolleyes:

eztuner12
2009.04.16, 01:47 AM
That is right Ruf,
Nevertheless, you know there is always someone going to the opposite direction and complaining abut the rest even knowing the others are right, you know “hardheaded” or as we say in my country counterclockwise screw heads.
Finally, this is over & behind :)and back into action, oh yeah!!!:D I guess this coming race in China will be difficult for all teams they are all under pressure and under immense tension.
Cheers.

soyverde
2009.04.17, 10:27 AM
Kind of glad I didn't DVR the practice, apparently the bimmers are driving like cr@p. :rolleyes:

Have a nice little gem from Flavio Briatore (via La Gazzetta dello Sport) on the state of F1:

"Our (McLaren, Ferrari and Renault) drivers are or have been world champions, and then you have a (Brawn) driver who was almost retired, and another who is a 'paracarro' (Italian for a roadside concrete post) fighting for the championship. I don't know how we can say we have credibility."

Someone's been drinking the haterade! :D

eztuner12
2009.04.17, 11:58 AM
To be an F-1 pilot you must be in extremely good physical shape and be an excellent driver too. To me they are all good drivers, they have to go thru many test and acquire an F-1 license; it all depends on what they are driving Brown cars are doing very well with good Pilots driving them, the best combo up to this moment.
I “guess” BMW, Renault, Ferrari & Mercedes are much-stressed do to the high drop on the street vehicles sales and not focusing well, this entire four corporation are in the bankrupt’s borderline, shares are low and they can’t find partners, the Vatican pitch in some $ thru Fiat to Ferrari, Peugeot to Renault and the federal Government to BMW & MB. Therefore, they must be concerned. All this while Sir. Richard Branson has been having great success over the last years, especially last year.
Cheers

cowboysir
2009.04.17, 03:33 PM
To highlight the practice sessions:

Session 1 showed some pace from McLaren with their interim "holed" diffuser...guess we know why they didn't want to raise such a fuss at the trial. With an apparent 6% increase in full downforce it's a massive step in perfomance in F1 standards.

Session2 (the one SpeedTV shows) highlighted how incredibly terrible the usual top teams are and are struggling for pace. Ferrari, McLaren, BMW and Renault failed to reach top ten staus while the teams leading the diffuser sage swapped front positions for a bit...one happy note was A.newey's design for RedBull was dicing in the top tier of testing(even without a "holed" diffuser.:eek: The other noticable impact on the wekend is the forced usage of the super soft selection of tire from Bridgestone. The "option" tire gets maybe four laps of performance before it grains and blisters...at a track like this (twisty second sector) it'll be a farce to see the premier class of motorsport to suffer on tires thoroughly unsuitable for racing.

I really can't wait until the european races...hopefully by then the usual contenders can mount a challenge. Even when I was a Schumacher/Ferrari fan I hated to see runaway races. Competition is only seriously interesting when there is close racing.:D

rocketman
2009.04.17, 05:31 PM
We definitely don't need a repeat of the Indy debacle with the tires deal. The worst races I have ever seen were at Indy and two of them were because of tire issues.

cowboysir
2009.04.18, 09:28 AM
Full review tomorrow but the highlight of todays Qualifying showed Seb Vettel is poised to win a GP without weather as an aid...in Q2 and 3 he completed two flying laps to post fastest in both and take P1 for tomorrows GP.

For all of those who like the douchebag, Alonso lines up beside him on the front row.:D

cowboysir
2009.04.19, 02:36 PM
highlight of todays Qualifying showed Seb Vettel is poised to win a GP without weather as an aid.

Looks like I spoke too soon.:D

As I turned on the race I watched in delight the rain teeming down onto the circuit...nothing like a bit of rain to really show who's got a well balanced chassis and some great driving skill. Unfortunately, the douches in control of the race(Charlie Whiting) decided to start under safety car. By looping around behind the safety car drivers could assess the circuit but I believe it takes away from the thrill of that first opening lap. The Red Bull of Vettel got an easy ride on his light fuel load for the first couple and gave him a safe start with no challenges.

Some interesting strategy came from the opening safety car. A couple teams (Force India and Williams most noticably) came in during that period to refuel and prep for a long stint. More on the results of that gamble later.

Once the racing opened (lap 5), the Red Bull team showed some outstanding pace for the weather conditions. The Brawn drivers showed some good pace but were obviously outmatched...

The mid field is where most of the drama unfolded. Raikkonnen had some early troubles with both engine and brakes so he was easy game for overtaking. He got passed by many drivers coming through the field and even had been passed by Massa (who is not the best wet driver). All this was leading up to some good chances for the lower rung teams when Kubica decided to drive through the Toyota of Trulli instead of passing him.:D

An amazing crash that actually allowed Kubica to continue (right at pit entrance) brought out a safety car. Many teams decided to make use of this and pit and in the resulting swapping of positions Massa was promoted to 3rd. This would have been excellent for my favorite driver until some weird/unknown mechanical failure caused him to stop out on track.:(

The restart brought the field back to real racing and some different fuel loads at the front gave the advantage to RedBull. Vettel could slightly gain an advantage and because of a neat scrap between Webber and Button he gained more of a lead. Webber came out on top and took his 2nd position and forced out some awesome lap times in the wet conditions.

Meanwhile in the midfield, some surprising events were occuring. With some poor rear grip in the corners, Hamilton seemed to be losing and gaining positions at random...he'd go off the road, lose two spots then gain them back in a lap or so.:eek: In this turn of events, Sutil of Force India gained P6 and looked strong to keep it...until a snap loss of rear grip threw him into the wall at turn 5. Another chance of great points ruined(think back to a possible fourth in Monaco 08 until being rear ended).

In the end, Vettel was able to cruise to the finish. With no real struggles and a clearly faster car he tiptoed around the wet course to take the top podium position. Webber and Button rounded off the podium.

The points finishes gave RedBull the advantage over Toyota in the constructors and moved Vettel into a tie for thrid for drivers points. Chaulk up another 0 for Ferrari and their worst season start since 1981...if they get blanked again next race they will be worst since 1972 (the year after they won with Villeneuve). McLaren scored a couple to move them up the stairs of the basement a bit.

This race showed that in the lower speeds of wet conditions (and technical driving like Monaco maybe?) the "holed" rear diffuser does not present as much of an advantage. A quality car with a good driver and first rate teamwork can prevail.:cool:

Next week is Bahrain so they'll be able to transport all their wet gear and have it dry instantanously once it's exposed in the desert.:D

eztuner12
2009.04.19, 07:08 PM
It was a very interesting event, in occasions thrilling as tradition on any car race, especially F-1.
I am only sorry that Alonzo & team went into the pit at the wrong time; it would be an awesome event seen Alonzo combating at the front line.

Cheers and thanks for so well race narration & opinion Cowboysir, as always!!! :);)
BTW, Happy birthday man!!!
Cheers

cowboysir
2009.04.25, 09:30 AM
So an All Toyota front row is the start of what could be a very interesting GP this weekend in Bahrain...

1. Their final lap times in Q3 were only 1.2seconds slower than there ultimate fast laps in Q1 and 2...this suggests a very light fuel load for the opening strategy.

2. With track temperatures approaching 55celcius (stupid freaking hot for you imperial temp users:D) the option/super soft tire is not going to last more than a handful of laps.

Stay tuned for some definite war of attrition...temps will be verging on the overload/engine fail for most of the race I wouldn't doubt seeing a third of the field have epic mechanical failures.;)

eztuner12
2009.04.25, 01:18 PM
Starting grid at Sakhir for Sunday May 26th 2009:

1. Jarno Trulli, Toyota, 648.5 kg
2. Timo Glock, Toyota, 643
3. Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, 659
4. Jenson Button, Brawn GP, 652.5
5. Lewis Hamilton, McLaren, 652.5
6. Rubens Barrichello, Brawn GP, 649
7. Fernando Alonso, Renault, 650.5
8. Felipe Massa, Ferrari, 664.5
9. Nico Rosberg, Williams, 670.5
10. Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, 671.5
11. Heikki Kovalainen, McLaren, 678.5
12. Kazuki Nakajima, Williams, 680.9
13. Robert Kubica, BMW Sauber, 698.6
14. Nick Heidfeld, BMW Sauber, 696.3
15. Nelson Piquet, Renault, 677.6
16. Sebastien Buemi, Toro Rosso, 678.5
17. Giancarlo Fisichella, Force India, 652
18. Mark Webber, Red Bull, 656
19. Adrian Sutil, Force India, 679
20. Sebastien Bourdais, Toro Rosso, 667.5

cowboysir
2009.04.25, 07:58 PM
I guess Sutil did wind up taking a penalty for his "brain fart" block manuever he pulled on webber in Q1...not that it helps Webber any since being p18 is only slightly better.

eztuner12
2009.04.26, 02:02 PM
2009 FORMULA 1 GULF AIR BAHRAIN GRAND PRIX
Pos No Driver Team Laps Time/Retired Grid Pts
1 22 Jenson Button Brawn-Mercedes 57 1:31:48.182 4 10
2 15 Sebastian Vettel RBR-Renault 57 +7.1 secs 3 8
3 9 Jarno Trulli Toyota 57 +9.1 secs 1 6
4 1 Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 57 +22.0 secs 5 5
5 23 Rubens Barrichello Brawn-Mercedes 57 +37.7 secs 6 4
6 4 Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari 57 +42.0 secs 10 3
7 10 Timo Glock Toyota 57 +42.8 secs 2 2
8 7 Fernando Alonso Renault 57 +52.7 secs 7 1
9 16 Nico Rosberg Williams-Toyota 57 +58.1 secs 9
10 8 Nelsinho Piquet Renault 57 +65.1 secs 15
11 14 Mark Webber RBR-Renault 57 +67.6 secs 18
12 2 Heikki Kovalainen McLaren-Mercedes 57 +77.8 secs 11
13 11 Sebastien Bourdais STR-Ferrari 57 +78.8 secs 20
14 3 Felipe Massa Ferrari 56 +1Lap 8
15 21 Giancarlo Fisichella Force India-Mercedes 56 +1 Lap 17
16 20 Adrian Sutil Force India-Mercedes 56 +1 Lap 19
17 12 Sebastien Buemi STR-Ferrari 56 +1 Lap 16
18 5 Robert Kubica BMW Sauber 56 +1 Lap 13
19 6 Nick Heidfeld BMW Sauber 56 +1 Lap 14
Ret 17 Kazuki Nakajima Williams-Toyota 48 Oil pressure 12

cowboysir
2009.04.26, 03:08 PM
...and the surprises just keep on coming.:eek:

As we've seen from eztuner, the grid had an all Toyota front row with some very fast competitors right behind them on the grid. With Vettel, Button and Hamilton all set to start with somewhat lighter fuel loads, the Toyotas would have to have a great start to keep pace.

As the lights went out, the race started into turn one with a super aggressive jump by the front grid positions. Trulli lost out to Glock off the start and took P2 with jenson, Hamilton and Vettel all fighting for the same space into one. Vettel lost out the most and had to give way while Jenson and Hamilton kept their battle all through the first lap. The superior mechanical and aerodynamic grip of Button fighting with Hamilton's KERS system and into turn one of lap two Button takes the lead into P3.

Meanwhile a big spread of the field happened in the back runners (p10 and beyond) due to an ultra aggessive start from the midfield entries. With some incredible overtaking, Webber moved from 17th all the way to 11th in two laps!:eek: He attempted to make use of a super light fuel strategy to get into the points.

In all the opening melee, Massa lost out with damage to his front wing and a failing KERS system and had a very early pit for changes. Raikkonnen struggles with early pace but soldiers on in his typical fashion.

The first pit window is where it all falls apart for Toyota. With the choice of the prime tire for both drivers, they lost serious pace and grip and were overtaken in the pit windows. Button easily takes P1 in his strategy and continues on a two stopper with the options (which I had thought would have been the wrong chocie...go figure.:rolleyes:) Vettel jumps a position at this pit window and is able to keep Hamilton behind him during the second phase.

Of the Toyota drivers, Glock suffers the worst with the prime tires and his pit window and falls down to sixth place while Trulli maintains second...for now.:D

At this stage, the race falls into a smooth rythym, with most of the drivers on a similar two stop strategy. The exception from these fast teams was Rubens Barrichello. On a three stop and driving very aggressively, he yo-yo'd through the field gaining positions and then having to stop. As noted, he made the best of his choice of strategy and finishes fifth.

Not much else can be noted about the race...with a great move early and a superior strategist at the helm, BrawnGP scores another great win with Jenson Button and takes a comanding lead in both drivers and constructors championships. Vettel moves into third in drivers with his second place finish and helps RBR take seconds in constructors.

Three surprising items came from this race:

1. Ferrari finally scores some points (whee!). Raikkonnen was able to take advantage of his solid pace to score a sixth place finish. With a nasty scare in the final pit where he almost lost a position to Glock into turn one, Raikkonnen was able to repass and drive smoothly to a tie for the worst Ferrari season since 1981.:( With Talk about a brand new car for Barcelona, it better be light years faster than the pig they've created for the opening rounds.

2. I was certainly mistaken about the high rate of attrition I expected for this race. With the new bodywork regulations and tightly controlled modifications, I expected to see some major overheating and engine/gearbox/brake failures from at least part of the field. I was wrong...:o I guess with the lower overall speeds and lower revs, the cars can be managed a little better than previous years.

3. I've come to the conclusion that the new body work doesn't necessarily promote overtaking like they had hoped. I notice that although the field is a little tighter overall in the opening stages of racing, the cars certainly cannot get as close behind as anticipated for passing. I think that optional KERS, the lack of common adjustable front wing and the 'holed" rear diffuser are all elements keeping the spaces between cars.

Two weeks to the European venues...lets get down to it, as they say.:D

eztuner12
2009.05.01, 11:00 PM
Today May 1st is the 15th anniversary of the three times F-1 WC Ayrton Senna death.

R.I.P Ayrton.

History
He streaked through the sport like a comet, an other-worldly superstar whose brilliance as a driver was matched by a dazzling intellect and coruscating charisma that illuminated Formula One racing as never before. No one tried harder or pushed himself further, nor did anyone shed so much light on the extremes to which only the greatest drivers go. Intensely introspective and passionate in the extreme, Ayrton Senna endlessly sought to extend his limits, to go faster than himself, a quest that ultimately made him a martyr but did not diminish his mystique.

Ayrton Senna da Silva was born on March 21, 1960, into a wealthy Brazilian family where, with his brother and sister, he enjoyed a privileged upbringing. He never needed to race for money but his deep need for racing began with an infatuation for a miniature go-kart his father gave him when he was four years old. As a boy the highlights of Ayrton's life were Grand Prix mornings when he awoke trembling with anticipation at the prospect of watching his Formula One heroes in action on television. At 13 he raced a kart for the first time and immediately won. Eight years later he went single-seater racing in Britain, where in three years he won five championships, by which time he had divorced his young wife and forsaken a future in his father's businesses in favour of pursuing success in Formula One racing, where he made his debut with Toleman in 1984. At Monaco (a race he would win six times), his sensational second to Alain Prost's McLaren - in torrential rain - was confirmation of the phenomenal talent that would take the sport by storm.

Deciding Toleman's limited resources were inadequate for his towering ambition, Senna bought out his contract and in 1985 moved to Lotus, where in three seasons he started from pole 16 times (he eventually won a record 65) and won six races. Having reached the limits of Lotus he decided the fastest way forward would be with McLaren, where he went in 1988 and stayed for six seasons, winning 35 races and three world championships.

In 1988, when McLaren-Honda won 15 of the 16 races, Senna beat his team mate Alain Prost eight wins to seven to take his first driving title. Thereafter two of the greatest drivers became protagonists in one of the most infamous feuds. In 1989 Prost took the title by taking Senna out at the Suzuka chicane. In 1990 Senna extracted revenge at Suzuka's first corner, winning his second championship by taking out Prost's Ferrari at Suzuka's first corner. Senna's third title, in 1991, was straightforward as his domination as a driver became even more pronounced, as did his obsession with becoming better still. Some of his greatest performances came in his final year with McLaren, following which he moved to Williams for the ill-fated 1994 season.

Beyond his driving genius Senna was one of the sport's most compelling personalities. Though slight in stature he possessed a powerful physical presence, and when he spoke, with his warm brown eyes sparkling and his voice quavering with intensity, his eloquence was spellbinding. Even the most jaded members of the Formula One fraternity were mesmerised by his passionate soliloquies and in his press conferences you could hear a pin drop as he spoke with such hypnotic effect. His command performances were captured by the media and the world at large became aware of Senna's magnetic appeal.

Everyone marvelled at how he put so much of himself, his very soul, into everything he did, not just his driving but into life itself. Behind the wheel the depth of his commitment was there for all to see and the thrilling spectacle of Senna on an all-out qualifying lap or a relentless charge through the field evoked an uneasy combination of both admiration for his superlative skill and fear for his future.

He drove like a man possessed - some thought by demons. His ruthless ambition provoked condemnation from critics, among them Prost who accused him of caring more about winning than living. When Senna revealed he had discovered religion Prost and others suggested he was a dangerous madman who thought God was his co-pilot. "Senna is a genius," Martin Brundle said. "I define genius as just the right side of imbalance. He is so highly developed to the point that he's almost over the edge. It's a close call."

Even Senna confessed he occasionally went too far, as was the case in qualifying for the 1988 Monaco Grand Prix, where he became a passenger on a surreal ride into the unknown. Already on pole, he went faster and faster and was eventually over two seconds quicker than Prost in an identical McLaren. "Suddenly, it frightened me," Ayrton said, "because I realised I was well beyond my conscious understanding. I drove back slowly to the pits and did not go out anymore that day."

He said he was acutely aware of his own mortality and used fear to control the extent of the boundaries he felt compelled to explore. Indeed, he regarded racing as a metaphor for life and he used driving as a means of self-discovery. "For me, this research is fascinating. Every time I push, I find something more, again and again. But there is a contradiction. The same moment that you become the fastest, you are enormously fragile. Because in a split-second, it can be gone. All of it. These two extremes contribute to knowing yourself, deeper and deeper."

His self-absorption did not preclude deep feelings for humanity and he despaired over the world's ills. He loved children and gave millions of his personal fortune (estimated at $400 million when he died) to help provide a better future for the underprivileged in Brazil. Early in 1994 he spoke about his own future. "I want to live fully, very intensely. I would never want to live partially, suffering from illness or injury. If I ever happen to have an accident that eventually costs my life, I hope it happens in one instant."

And so it did, on May 1, 1994, in the San Marino Grand Prix, where his race-leading Williams inexplicably speared off the Imola track and hit the concrete wall at Tamburello corner. Millions saw it happen on television, the world mourned his passing and his state funeral in Sao Paulo was attended by many members of the shocked Formula One community. Among the several drivers escorting the coffin was Alain Prost. Among the sad mourners was Frank Williams, who said: "Ayrton was no ordinary person. He was actually a greater man out of the car than in it."

Text - Gerald Donaldson
Source; http://www.formula1.com/teams_and_drivers/hall_of_fame/45/

rocketman
2009.05.02, 12:21 AM
The post on Senna brings back so many memories of his marvelous driving skills and from my perspective it seemed like he didn't use them all the time. I felt like he could drive at maybe 80% and be better than the rest. I can see that moment when I knew he was mortally wounded and my heart sank because I knew we were going to now miss a battle for all the motoring ages, Michael and Senna could be no more. Great article on Senna.

cowboysir
2009.05.02, 09:36 AM
That weekend itself was marred by tragedy from the opening practice sessions and finished with the loss of a true driving god.

It's interesting how I don't rate any of today's F1 drivers lineup with any of the same respect I had for Senna. Since the departure of M.Schumacher I've just followed my team and had to choose who i thought was the better driver. Back in the day it didn't matter which team they were a part of it was the personality that had me watch their skill as a F1 pilot. Today's crew of drivers don't rate nearly as good as Schumi, Senna, Hakkinnen, Gilles Villenueve and etc...

Who knows what would have happened if Senna had lived...schumi may not have been the huge success that he wound up being.

On a quick sidenote for fan of any type of racing, you should get a chance to watch the World SuperBike series. Noriyuki Haga (Ducati) may be on his ay to his biggest fight of the season from the WSBK rookie Ben Spies (Yamaha)...I'm a Haga fan but Ben Spies (coming from AMA) has got crazy skill piloting courses he's never even been on before.:eek:

cowboysir
2009.05.09, 09:29 AM
Back again for another weekend...

Qualifying sessions showed that everyone is super comfortable racing around Catalunya (being a winter testing site) and that tomorrows race might show a resurgance of Ferrari. Their F60B was able to get Massa to P4 behind both Brawn's and the RedBull of Vettel.

The Qualifying lap record posted in Q2 by Rubens Barrichello absolutely smashed the previous record...kudos to Rubens for 1:19:984.:eek:

cowboysir
2009.05.10, 10:57 AM
Well, I guess my screen saver desktop photo of Button spraying champagne can stay the same.:rolleyes:

There really wasn't much to say about this race to be honest.

1. Button got overtaken into turn one but with the different fuel strategy (Button on two stops/Barrichello on three) Button was able to take advantage of tire wear to take the win.

2. Webber made full advantage of his fuel stops to take the final podium position.

3. Ferrari screwed the pooch again and had a fuel filling problem with Massa's final stop. What could have been fourth place for Felipe wound up being sixth so he could at least cross the finish line...and adding insult to injury he had to walk home from the cool down procession lap.:( A great car, great defensive drive nets him three points (better than nothing, I guess).

Other than the huge pile-up at the beginning of the race, there really wasn't any passing. Catalunya, as circuits go, doesn't offer much opportunity to pass. Cars with KERS can still avoid being passed even with the downforce changes...

In my mind, this race really didn't offer any excitement at all.:(

The classic race is next...watch for Monaco's tight, barrier lined streets to be a tough race for all.

eztuner12
2009.05.10, 11:08 AM
Hi

Just hate when the team Manager rips way the winning position to a driver and worst when the driver that the winning position was given to, makes a big celebration about it :mad:

Man Barrichello must have a steel heart!!!
Congratulations Rubens for this winning.:):):D

Cheers

cowboysir
2009.05.10, 11:16 AM
I'd have to agree with you there ez but the fact is that Rubens had his chance to make it work in the middle of the race. He had to pull out .5 to .7 a lap faster in both of his middle stints to get the front from jenson and his tires wouldn't allow for that consitency. Jenson was able to take advantage of Rob Smedley's changes for him and he now stands firmly in the lead of the drivers championship.

You also have to consider that Rubens does have a strong second in the championship and because the Brawn drivers are allowed to race each other he could feasibly pull back the deficit.:D

If I can't cheer for Ferrari then the drivers leading the championship are my choice.:D

eztuner12
2009.05.10, 11:23 AM
I'd have to agree with you there ez but the fact is that Rubens had his chance to make it work in the middle of the race. He had to pull out .5 to .7 a lap faster in both of his middle stints to get the front from jenson and his tires wouldn't allow for that consitency. Jenson was able to take advantage of Rob Smedley's changes for him and he now stands firmly in the lead of the drivers championship.

You also have to consider that Rubens does have a strong second in the championship and because the Brawn drivers are allowed to race each other he could feasibly pull back the deficit.:D

If I can't cheer for Ferrari then the drivers leading the championship are my choice.:D

Man still 13 more events to go. I see no reason for that nonsense "plan B" decision at this point.

cowboysir
2009.05.24, 11:39 AM
...and so ends the classisc race of Formula One.

When it comes to watching Monaco, you're really not watching for passing and/or close racing. You tend just to watch for the massive skill it takes to average 100MPh on a circuit no wider than a european city street. This weekend race really showed how unbelievably skilled the Brawn GP team have dialled in their drivers and race package.

Jenson kept his P1 from qualifying and Rubens snatched second from Kimi and it was theirs to keep all the way through. There was quite a performance drop on the supersoft tires but with enough of a gap the Brawn drivers managed to keep their positions through both pit stops.

Kudos to Ferrari for finishing 3rd and 4th!:eek: The lower speeds showed that mechanical grip is good on the f60b and they maintained a steady and fast pace through the race, with Massa grabbing fastest (or second fastest?) lap.

There's really not much else to say other than with 86 constructor points out of a possible 108, BrawnGP are in a prime position to walk away with the constructors title and Jenson with 5 out of six wins seems to only have Rubens as competition for the drivers title.:cool:

dxm2
2009.05.27, 11:25 AM
I agree it was nice to see Ferrari up on the podium. Kimi is one of my favorite drivers, but I hate seeing him complain about coming in 3rd. Especially with the start they've had. Reubens is also a favorite, but I think Jenson is just faster. And although Ferrari is showing improvement, I don't see any team really in the same league as Brawn. As they say in many other sports, "nothing succeeds like success"

SabRC
2009.05.27, 12:49 PM
True Brawn does have the better setup.

However Brawn was developing this car since last year with full concentation on the 09 season. Where as other constructors were battleing out for the 08 championships.

Having a full year of development does help, also this could be the case why Russ took on the responsibilties of the car/finances when Honda dropped out.
To have dropped all that R&D cost and not see any results would be hard.

Non the less great to see Ferrari come too, but the car still needs further improvements especailly with KERs to truly content for the top spot.

eztuner12
2009.06.21, 11:59 AM
Pos No Driver Team Laps Time/Retired Grid Pts
1 15 Sebastian Vettel RBR-Renault 60 1:22:49.328 1 10
2 14 Mark Webber RBR-Renault 60 +15.1 secs 3 8
3 23 Rubens Barrichello Brawn-Mercedes 60 +41.1 secs 2 6
4 3 Felipe Massa Ferrari 60 +45.0 secs 11 5
5 16 Nico Rosberg Williams-Toyota 60 +45.9 secs 7 4
6 22 Jenson Button Brawn-Mercedes 60 +46.2 secs 6 3
7 9 Jarno Trulli Toyota 60 +68.3 secs 4 2
8 4 Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari 60 +69.6 secs 9 1
9 10 Timo Glock Toyota 60 +69.8 secs 9
10 21 Giancarlo Fisichella Force India-Mercedes 60 +71.5 secs 16
11 17 Kazuki Nakajima Williams-Toyota 60 +74.0 secs 5
12 8 Nelsinho Piquet Renault 59 +1 Lap 14
13 5 Robert Kubica BMW Sauber 59 +1 Lap 12
14 7 Fernando Alonso Renault 59 +1 Lap 10
15 6 Nick Heidfeld BMW Sauber 59 +1 Lap 15
16 1 Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 59 +1 Lap 18
17 20 Adrian Sutil Force India-Mercedes 59 +1 Lap 20
18 12 Sebastien Buemi STR-Ferrari 59 +1 Lap 19
Ret 11 Sebastien Bourdais STR-Ferrari 37 Accident damage 17
Ret 2 Heikki Kovalainen McLaren-Mercedes 36 Accident damage 13

cowboysir
2009.06.21, 04:01 PM
I decided that since this was a well covered race I'd do a bit of a recap...Turkey was such a non event (it was over and won on turn 10 of the first lap) that it didn't need covering.

This weekend race really showed how different cars perform in cooler weather. With the previous races all (if they didn't rain) in the 90's Silverstone was bound to be a very different race. With ambiants in the high 60's/low 70's the teams that were light on their tires (aka Brawn) were bound to have troubles keeping mechanical grip....much to the delight of their main rivals Red Bull.

Qualifying went reasonably well for the top contenders with Seb. Vettel grabbing pole from Rubens and Mark Webber...the one highlight for me was seeing a Ferrari in q3 and Massa narrowly missing the final round. Massa's fuel strategy would give him a great benifit in the race event.(more on that)

I think the best part of the race coverage was that they didn't need to show the race leader. Vettel took off at the start and had a one second per lap gain on his rivals in behind him....his driving was flawless this time and with careful coaching he almost gained a full pit stop on his competitors. What they did show of his driving was beautiful to watch.

The biggest mover up the field happened to be Felipe Massa. With his P11 grid position, the only car with KERS and an excellent fuel stop strategy he wound up making 5 places off the start and just kept leapfrogging his rival during the pit stops. He was able to score a valuable fourth place finish.

Surprisingly enough, the best racing happened to be in the mid-field. Because Lewis Hamilton and his car sucked balls the camera director happened to show his struggles in the midfield and his battles with both BMW's and both Renaults...it made for some great viewing. he didn't finish in the points (which made it a great race for me.:D)

Overall, I rated that race very highly for watching and I'm saddened that this most likely will be the last F1 race at Silverstone for a while...another stupid decision by Mosely/Ecclestone when you consider that over 300000 people visited over the weekend.

My next post will break down the huge rift developing over next years "budget cap" and "two tiered system" and how it sounds likely that 8 of the 10 teams may form their own racing league...with early July before another final decision it could be something to watch.

I hate when the politics become more involving than the racing but that's how it goes sometimes.:rolleyes:

eztuner12
2009.06.21, 06:14 PM
Well it seems to me that the Brawn team wanted to win all British Car, Pilot & sponsor.
However, they could not win the British big one, while Barrichello whom win was ripped at Cataluña, I think, did a great job compared the British Button.

Cheers

SkullCrusher
2009.06.22, 12:55 PM
has anyone ever eaten a turnip?

eztuner12
2009.06.22, 01:47 PM
has anyone ever eaten a turnip?
Hi SkullCrushe.

I figure you are referring to the turnip root vegetable and the turnip greens (turnip tops in the UK).

Yep, I have consumed them and love it.

Cheers;)

eztuner12
2009.07.15, 07:09 PM
Well put Barrichello, finally someone told the team Mgr & owner what they deserved.:):):D

hrdrvr
2009.07.16, 07:01 AM
^ What did he 'put well'? :D

cowboysir
2009.07.16, 09:57 AM
I haven't had a chance to update from this past weekend at the German GP (Nurburgring)

1. BrawnGp set their cars for a very light 3 stop strategy but due to lack of grip (too cold) they could not capitalize. RedBullracing and Mark Webber had them easily even though he recieved a stop and go penalty for aggressive driving at the start.

2. Barrichello made a huge stink during and post race that his team made a great effort to lose the race for him. From what i saw it was poor strategy and minor errors but I don't see it as deliberate. Anyhow, he is understandably upset (finishing sixth after leading for the first thrid) but he is professional enough to realize that stuff happens.

i can't really give my full effort to race breakdown but it was a decent event with a well deserved first win to Mark Webber. With the second one/two finish in a row (podium for Massa!:D) it closes the constructors race to 19.5 points...it's going to be tight if dramas continue.;)

eztuner12
2009.07.16, 12:02 PM
^ What did he 'put well'? :D
Hi hrdrvr

Here is the link to RB comment after the race.
Cheers;)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/jul/12/rubens-barrichello-attacks-brawn-team

cowboysir
2009.07.25, 09:28 AM
Well, it took some crazy incidents to make Hungaroring's qualifying sessions interesting...

In Q2 Felipe Massa gets hit in the side of the head by debris on the circuit on his final lap and goes over the G meter into a tire barrier. It appears that Barrichello lost some rear suspension bits and they bounced along the circuit until Massa got smacked into the side of his helmet.:eek: Hope he's OK>>>>

Q3's timing goes out during the last few minutes and it takes a couple minutes after to find out that Alonso scores pole position with the Red Bulls rounding out P2 and 3.

I don't think the race is very interesting for passing but it's a very technical circuit so watching for the drivers skill level is the best you can hope for.:p

rocketman
2009.07.25, 07:17 PM
Now reported on ESPN that Massa's injuries are severe enough to warrant brain surgery and that he is battling for his life. It appears that the debris left on the track by the Brawn car pierced the shell of the helmet.

cowboysir
2009.07.26, 01:41 AM
http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-massas-condition-called-life-threatening/

Serious but stable is all we can hope for considering 2 pounds of metal....

My fingers crossed for Felipe...in my opinion racers take their lives into their hands every time they race but getting hit by debris like that is an extraordinay fluke that shouldn't have happened.

cowboysir
2009.07.26, 01:38 PM
Well, that was probably the biggest let down of all except for a few standouts...

Good:
1. Kimi was able to leapfrog a few key racers to hold and maintain second place podium finish.

2. Mark Webber was able to take difficult tire conditions and some slight bobbles by his pit crews and still acheive 3rd place overall. This brings him over his teammate (Vettel) in the standings due to Vettels retirement and gets RBR closer to the constructers standings lead.

Bad:
1. I'll never understand why everyone treats Lewis Hamilton to easy passing manuevers. The only reason he wound up winning (which in itself sucks the big one) is because Webber felt discretion was the better approach...which Lewis took advantage of by passing very aggresively (a shade closer to dangerously). There's really nothing I hate more than Hamilton (and to some extent McLaren) actually winning a race. he seemed so full of himself at the race interview I felt like I neded to smack him...:D

2. I am so incredibly sick and tired of the TV race director flashing the camera on Lewis' girlfriend every time he does something remotely good or interesting. It is pathetic to see how childish it is to view his GF jump up and down and cheer...of course she's happy but why should her happiness be displayed on screen when I want to see cars race?! It pretty much goes for all cut scenes of this genre but it's irks me the most with Hamilton and his GF.:mad:

Well, it's now a bit of a summer break and Valencia is in one month from now...:(

rocketman
2009.07.26, 05:57 PM
Cowboysir, I am in complete agreement with your synopsis of the race and it's coverage. I can't stand the sweetheart garbage or the Idol worship given to HRH Lord Hamilton.

cowboysir
2009.07.29, 09:27 AM
http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-massa-could-leave-hospital-in-a-week/

Can I get a huge sigh of relief from all the felipe Massa fans out there...hopefully Massa will return to the Scuderia for next years class winning car (I hope).:D

rocketman
2009.07.29, 10:24 AM
deep relief, here.

dxm2
2009.07.29, 12:47 PM
Great news. Massa is a great driver and a good guy judging by the interviews. I can't help but feel for Barrichelo, as well. They are very close friends and they and their families travel together during the season.

cowboysir
2009.07.29, 09:09 PM
...and the next "best news I've heard all day' catagory....

Micheal Schumacher will be filling in for Felipe Massa for the rest of the season.:eek::D

Allow me to express how I feel about this....

WHOOOHOOO!

EMU
2009.07.29, 09:18 PM
As soon as I heard Massa got hurt, I joked to my brother 'watch Schumi fill in while hes out hurt...'. This will definitely spice up the season. Wish it wasnt so long until the next race. This accident couldnt have come at a better time for Ferrari. It allows Michael enough time to prepare. I just hope he can be as competetive as Raikonen is now. Bring Ferrari back to the front :P

I finished 2nd in F1 at the PN race with Schumacher livery :) The day after Massa got hurt.

cowboysir
2009.07.29, 11:03 PM
The bad news is that they are on summer break and with a testing ban Schumi will not be able to drive the 09 car until Valencia.:confused: another stupid cost savings rule that makes f1 cars look ridiculous because they can't improve their vehicles by actually drivng them.

herman
2009.07.30, 01:57 AM
the following is from

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2009/07/29/official-schumacher-returns-to-replace-massa/

Official: Schumacher returns to replace Massa
29 July 2009

In another dramatic twist to the 2009 season, seven-time World Champion Michael Schumacher will be replacing the injured Felipe Massa at the European Grand Prix in Valencia. With rumours having circulated since the Brazilian's accident on Saturday, Ferrari confirmed the decision on Wednesday evening.

"The most important thing first: thanks God, all news concerning Felipe are positive. I wish him all the best again," Schumacher said on Wednesday evening.

"I was meeting this afternoon with Stefano Domenicali and Luca di Montezemolo and together we decided that I will prepare myself to take the place of Felipe. Though it is true that the chapter Formula 1 has been closed for me since long and completely, it is also true that for loyalty reasons to the team I cannot ignore that unfortunate situation. But as the competitor I am I also very much look forward to facing this challenge."

Having retired at the end of the 2006 season, the unexpected return of the German will see him partner his own replacement at Ferrari, 2007 World Champion Kimi Räikkönen, until the recovering Massa is able to return to his position.

Despite having kept fit due to his motor cycle commitment earlier in the year, Schumacher will be involving in a training programme with the team on the lead up to the Valencia race on 23 August. Doubts remain over the condition of Massa, although the Brazilian walked for the first time post-accident in hospital on Wednesday.

and all i can say is... dang!!! :D
it would be nice to see how he will stack up in the current car against the 2009 drivers...

cowboysir
2009.08.29, 11:14 AM
OMFG!!!!!

Spa Francorchamps is this weekend and for the first time ever Force India and Giancarlo Fisicella Have scored a pole position in formula One!!!!!

All weekend long the mid pack runners have shown good pace with toyota, BMW and Force India posting good practice times but the true pace has been revealed.

Fastest lap of the qualifying session was 1:44.xx and Fis's fueled lap was a 1:46.xx (he even posted fourth fastest on low fuel!:eek:)

Anyhow, Spa is shaping up to be a crazy race.;)

cowboysir
2009.08.30, 12:02 PM
...and the classic race does not disappoint.;)

Right from the "go" it was clear that there was going to be some shaking up of the grid. Rubens anti stalls the start and drops down the field as Raikonnen grabs a couple spots off the start. Up through eau Rouge and into Radillion he grabs another place to slot into second with his KERS system giving him a 12% boost.

Then the carnage takes place and Button, Hamilton, Alguasuari and Grosjean get into a big pileup!

A brief SafetyCar and then game on at the start/finish gives Raikonnen a good grab of the slipstream off of the Force India of Fisichella and slots into first at the end of Radillion.

From then on raikonnen did an admiral job of keeping Fisi behind him (who was faster in raw pace but couldn't overtake the KERS car).

There's nothing sweeter than listening to the Italian anthem on the podium...it's so heartfelt and joyous that I cry every time (and I'm not even Italian).:D

A huge shout out to Fisi and Force India for shwoing that the underfunded privateer can still place a great effort in Formula One...my Ferrari hat's off to them.

The High Speed Classic is in two weeks...Monza will not disappoint.;)

cowboysir
2009.09.12, 09:56 AM
monza....the name just sounds fast, doesn't it?

Well, tomorrows race bodes well for the KERS equipped teams of Mclaren and Ferrari but for the second race in a row Force India has scored a front row grid position!!!!!

Adrian Sutil showed great speed all sessions and even posted top speed through the trap...214mph(or nearabouts).:eek:

cowboysir
2009.09.13, 12:08 PM
The classic race never fails to satisfy...

This race was a prime example of how fuel strategy (which will be gone next year) plays an important role in the podium. with fuel weights registered and made available, we found that the top three qualifiers (Hamilton, Sutil and Raikkonnen) had decided on a teo stop where P4 and 5 (the Brawns) had picked a one stop and were looking very competitive because of it.

Some very interesting first laps ensued with light cars trying to overcome the fuel discrepancy...the Brawns were wringing every last millisecond to stay within contention and vault into the lead after pit stops played out.

After all's said and done, Rubens vaulted into the lead with Button trailing close behind. Their tire choices during the race made Rubens the clear favorite to take the ten points and close his gap to championship leader and teammate Jenson Button.

The highlight of the race for me was the Lesmo corners of the last lap...with Hamilton assured third place he has a weird loss of grip and throttle spike, spins his car and whaps into the inside wall and tosses away his podium. Kimi Raikkonnen slots into an easy third with a full course yellow...forcing Sutil of Force India (wicked fast today) to stay behind.

Classic.;)

Anyways, Singapore is up next...night street circuit.:eek:

ProfoxCG
2009.09.13, 02:10 PM
how were you simulating "fuel strategy" out of curiosity. Is this just running long hour races untill the AAA run out? or is there something else involved (like in slot cars for instance)

mr7q
2009.09.13, 02:35 PM
I think he's talking about the 1:1 scale version raced in Italy. :)

Again a pretty good race (for F1 standards Still nothing on this season of Moto GP, though :)). Poor Hamilton. Happy to see Kimi on the on the podium again. His "don't give a fart" attitude and how he powers through his post race juice are always fun to watch (not to mention the expression of complete and utter boredom he manages to maintain after tearing around a track at 200*mph for the last hour and change). Of course, the thing that interests me is how Vettel is going to make a championship push with no engines left. After Kubica was pretty much a non-factor due to the BMW chassis, I'm pulling for the young German.

dxm2
2009.09.13, 05:41 PM
I agree with Cowboy. This was a great race because of fuel strategy, and because Barrichello won. Old guys like me root for Barrichello. If Sutil had 10 more laps, he would have passed Kimi.

I'm looking forward to the driver changes for next year. Kubica is one of my favorites and if he gets a competitive car, he'll do well.

I hope Vettel can make a push, but after this race, I have a hard time seeing it.

I also like Kimi, but I can't watch his interviews. He sounds just like Goldmember from that Austin Powers film.

cowboysir
2009.09.24, 10:10 AM
I don't know if anyone has been following the drama called "Crash-Gate" in the present F1 court proceedings...

Long story short, after being fired as driver from Renault Piquet Jr. testified to the FIA about his role in a weird crash at the 2008 Singapore GP in where he was asked to deliberately crash while Alonso was pitting for a light fuel strategy. That in turn would have Alonso come out behind the safety car and on the tight circuit give him the means to stay in front and take the win.....

The results and desicions based on the court proceedings;

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-briatore-banned-as-renault-escapes/

I really can't believe that briatore will no longer be able to be involved in F1...including managing drivers!?:eek: His three main cash cows (Alonso, Webber and Kovaleinnen) will have to look for new management.

It really is a sad day in F1...but not for the reason you'd expect from me.

Whatever happened to the days of team loyalty? I totally agree with Briatore's dismissal because in my view he was the cancer that promoted poor team loyalty. He's showed (to a long list of drivers) vast disrespect of drivers who couldn't perform to an incredible standard (being as good as Alonso is a gigantic task no matter how much I hate the guy) and were promptly shown the door if he didn't get what he wanted. With this attitude it's no wonder that it finally bit him in the a$$ with Piquet Jr. ratting him out. If a manager can't show loyalty to it's drivers while performing to their utmost then it allows disloyalty in return.

Honestly, ever since I've watched and followed F1 there has been exploiting advantages (otherwise known as cheating:rolleyes:) and if you get caught then you get caught....cheating at this level really only is another means of gaining a tiny advantage over the next guy who's going to find another means to exploit the regs and gain that advantage back. I'm not against the way Renault cheated to gain the win at all because it was a clever solution to a riduculous regulation that forced them into driving an inferior car compared to other teams cars (the engine freeze caused Renault to be at least 80bhp short of rivals). The created a neat little loophole due to the type of track they faced and it would've worked as a means to an end.

Unfortunately, Briatore's lack of respect and loyalty to his drivers created this huge mess and I feel that he deserves every bit of punishment he gets.;)

mr7q
2009.09.24, 02:23 PM
The thing that surprises me about the entire matter is how the team asked a driver to intentionally crash one of their cars (not exactly the safest thing for anybody on the grid or the racetrack staff tasked with cleaning up) and then continues to mistreat said driver when he has that ace in his sleeve. The fact that Piquet was more than willing to burn the bridges to F1 where ex-drivers are granted a fair amount of respect and prestige independent of performance, indicates to me that your assessment of Flava-Flavio is pretty much spot on in that his hubris got to be a bit too much.

Of course, in more fodder to dislike the upper echelons of F1 management, it looks like Bernie Ecclestone is defending his friend Briatore.

I'll be interested to see how Renault comes out of this. However, in the light that they just lost ING as their sponsor it will be interesting to see what future repercussions are.

I'm also glad not to be the only one to think that "cheating" should be expected if not encouraged in F1. Whether it's MSC parking himself in the last corner at Monaco (and then watching him claw his way back up to 5th from dead last) to installing a fan to create downforce back on that 70's Brabham, the ingenuity that some people can apply towards alternate "solutions" is always impressive. Of course, that applies to the engineer in me who makes a living off of trying to do things better than the other guys.

In other related news, it looks like Spa won't be happening for a good long while. Shame, as it's always a pretty decent spectacle.

Isn't F1 such a wonderful sport to follow? Just as much, if not more, happens on days other than Saturday and Sunday. :)

Rune
2009.09.30, 11:21 AM
Alonso finally confirmed at Scuderia Ferrari.
He will replace Raikonnen from 2010. A three year deal is signed.

Now it will be interesting to see where Kimi goes. The rumors are Brawn GP (soon to be Brawn Mercedes:)) or McLaren Mercedes.

cowboysir
2009.10.18, 11:46 PM
So with one race to go in the season, BrawnGp have wrapped up both the constructors and drivers title.

Due to Massa's departure i've been a little disinterested in the proceedings but I caught the goings on today and watched with dismay rubens title hopes go up in flames as bad luck forced him yet again to lose his lead in Sao Paulo...the man has no luck at all at his home circuit.:(

My congratulations to jenson button for managing some average mid season results and fighting for his world title just enough to gain the classification of F1 world driver.

BrawnGP have shown that clever engineering, a quality crew and great drivers are what it takes to gain and hold the constructors title...kudos to their acheivement.;)

Abu Dhabi is the final race of the season and I'm looking frward to see this extravagent display of middle eastern excess....the reports say a typical track (twisty herman Tilke track with little overtaking:rolleyes:) but the lavishness of the surroundings are a sight to behold.

herman
2009.10.19, 03:11 AM
kinda felt for rubinio... i think pit strategy had something to do with it... kinda sad...
would've wanted to see the drama go all the way to the wire in abu dhabi....

it was a great race none the less... from the qualifying down to the last lap...

eztuner12
2009.11.16, 09:59 AM
(CNN) -- Mercedes-Benz will head up their own Formula One team next season after the German car manufacturer confirmed they have taken a 75.1 percent share in Brawn GP -- with Ross Brawn remaining as team principal.

Mercedes engines powered Brawn's Jenson Button to the world championship this season -- while the team also claimed the constructors' championship.

Meanwhile, Lewis Hamilton, Button's predecessor as world champion, was also sitting behind a Mercedes engine in his McLaren.

The partnership between McLaren and Mercedes has been in place since 1995 and ended its 15th season together in 2009.

The new team will become known as Mercedes Grand Prix, with Brawn in control, while Mercedes-Benz Motorsport vice-president Norbert Haug will work with the F1 team and the engine team of Mercedes-Benz High Performance Engines.

As part of the deal, Mercedes' parent company Daimler AG relinquished their 40 per cent stake in McLaren, but will remain their engine suppliers for the next six seasons.

Daimler AG chief executive Dr. Dieter Zetsche explained in a press release: "Mercedes-Benz is the most valued and best-known premium automotive brand in the world.

"This brand looks for competition of the utmost quality in all relevant fields in order to continually improve its performance in the face of such new challenges.

"Due to the new Formula One environment, we will face the competition in future on the most important motor sports stage with our own Silver Arrow works team.

"Our new Silver Arrow Formula One team is a great sporting and technical chal-lenge and we will tackle this with sporting spirit and full of enthusiasm."

The move could have ramifications for the out-of-contract Button, with Mercedes believed to favor an all-German partnership of Nico Rosberg and Nick Hiedfeld.

Such a move could see Button link up with Hamilton at McLaren and the 29-year-old was believed to have toured McLaren's Woking factory last week.

Brawn, who has previously baulked at meeting Button's wage demands, was thrilled with the deal after forming Brawn GP following the withdrawal of Honda from the sport.

"We are honored to be representing such a prestigious brand as Mercedes-Benz in Formula One next year and will be working together to do our best to reward their faith in our team," said Brawn on the team's official Web site.

"Brawn GP has been through an incredible journey over the last 12 months. From fighting for our survival to forging a strong relationship with Mercedes-Benz High Performance Engines, winning both the constructors and drivers world championships, and now accepting Daimler's offer to buy our team, which will secure its future," he added.

cowboysir
2009.11.16, 10:26 AM
(CNN) -- The move could have ramifications for the out-of-contract Button, with Mercedes believed to favor an all-German partnership of Nico Rosberg and Nick Hiedfeld.

Such a move could see Button link up with Hamilton at McLaren and the 29-year-old was believed to have toured McLaren's Woking factory last week.

This is the only thing wrong with this scenario.....

Nico Rosberg has never shown any true race pace and has always found some excuse for his lack of performance difference from outstanding friday to average sunday. i feel he lacks something that confines the car from its friday pace and keeps it from improving its setup....

Nick heidfeld, while one of my favorite drivers, needs a teammate of outstanding level to push him to perform....if he gets signed with Rosberg he'll just plod along with average results 9which will still be better than Rosberg's though)

If Button gets switched to McLaren he'll still do well....Mclaren have shown that end season really brought their car back into focus and will challenge for top spot next year. (which sucks because I hate the silver/black car & team with a passion:D)

Kudos to Ross Brawn though....way to bring a team from financial scraps to being the new force in the F1 paddock.;)

dxm2
2009.11.16, 10:47 AM
I agree completely. Although I think Ross Brawn is a genius, he's going to need better drivers than Rossberg and Heidfeld. Neither impress me as real "race winners". And I'm kind of sad to see Brawn get swallowed up my Mercedes. One of the great things about last season was seeing Brawn GP, with only one real sponsor (Virgin) just destroy the established teams. I guess now they are the established team.....

I really hope Peter Windsor's team does well. I've always enjoyed his commentary and the idea of starting an American F1 team, here in the land of Nascar and Danica Patrick, is just either really cool, or kind of crazy..

ruf
2009.11.18, 08:30 PM
Rosberg and Hamilton are going to spank their respective teammates. Love my Williams, but that car does not show Rosberg's race pace. Button needs a superior car to win, Hamilton doesn't.

hpgod
2009.11.19, 09:18 AM
There is a rumor going around. Brawn may have a true number 1.
His old great driver M.Schumaker may return.

briankstan
2009.11.19, 10:28 AM
There is a rumor going around. Brawn may have a true number 1.
His old great driver M.Schumaker may return.

that would be really interesting, isn't he under contract with Ferrari?

hrdrvr
2009.11.19, 10:39 AM
^ & ^^ And wont his neck problems still keep him from getting into a car? Thats what the story was when he was approached about replacing Massa for this past season. Even with him being fully rehabilitated they said the injury he sustained would likely reoccur if he was subdued to the immense G-forces of and F1 race.

I for one would surely like to see him run again.....Id just like to see it in a red car :D

hpgod
2009.11.19, 10:57 AM
He is back racing KARTS at pro levels this weekend in VEGAS.

hrdrvr
2009.11.19, 01:46 PM
^ Yeah apparently he has done other types of racing, but nothing that compares to the G-Force that he would see in F1. It was all about the side stress on the neck......