PDA

View Full Version : Best racing movie ever made

Dudemeister
2009.03.23, 10:33 AM
Like the title says, this is poll to find out what we think the best racing movie is.

For me, "Grand Prix", even 43 years after it's release, is still the best racing movie ever made. I know some will say that Le Mans with Seve McQueen is just as good, but if you look at the two side by side, it's superior in every respect, acting, script, cinematography, etc.

Plus you get a chance to see some real driving being done by some of F1 most historical names, Jeff Brabham, Graham Hill, John Surtees, Bruce McLaren and others.

While I never got a chance to see the movie in the original Cinerama incarnation, I did get to see it on the big screen but on regular Cinemascope (65mm) print. I own the LaserDisc, the DVD and now I just got the HD-DVD version which is absolutely gorgeous.

The racing scenes are breathtaking, and when you consider that all the effects, crashes and such were done without the benefit of CGI, it just puts in perspective the shear undertaking that took place in the creation of this masterpiece.

So if you haven't seen this movie, do yourself a favor and buy it at least rent it and check it out.:)

So what do you think is the best racing movie EVER ?

okoye
2009.03.23, 05:49 PM
i watched grand prix and that was really good i loved the cars and the action

Jace1283
2009.03.23, 09:52 PM
Death Race, haha

arch2b
2009.03.23, 09:57 PM
date race was entertaining at best.

there is a good thread on best race scenes. ronin, gone is 60 seconds, the italian job, i could go on and on

eztuner12
2009.03.24, 04:12 PM
I agree with ya Dudemeister.
Both are the best racing movies ever; Grand Prix 1966
and 24 hours of Le Mans 1971 oh yeah!!!!!:):):)

deloreanaka8
2009.03.24, 06:03 PM
Steve McQueen's Le Mans is my favourite movie in general. :D
For show I liked Initial D 3rd Stage. (not the live action, I actually hated that one...) :cool:
For story I liked Winning very much, it's not one of the famous but it's actually nice to watch. :)
I'm sorry for this but the F&F movies give too much of the outlaw street racer image, I don't like that so those movies don't do it for me... my honnest opinion. :(

eztuner12
2009.03.24, 07:16 PM
Well if we are including movies with car racing Hera are some of my favorites;
The Gumball Rally:D.
The Love Bug.
The Big Wheel.
Czekam w Monte-Carlo.
Cannonball.
Cheers;)

hilldebrandt
2009.03.24, 08:26 PM
However....

If someone posts "Days of Thunder"...

I suggest they get whipped 100 lashes.....with a wet noodle !!! :eek:

mikedw
2009.03.24, 10:10 PM
Vanishing Point 1971, if it fits as a racing movie. Big fan of the motorcycle rider, lol. These types of questions usually date everyone, now I feel old, lol.

Dudemeister
2009.03.24, 10:21 PM
I originally thought of a thread about racing movies, not just movies with a car chase or something like it, but if we're going to just name movies with great racing scenes...

Bullit
The French Connection
The Blues Brothers (both of them)
Bourne Identity
The Transporter
the original Italian Job
The Cannoball Run
Smokey and the Bandit movies

...lots of others, but let's not forget the charriot race in Ben Hur, one of the most visceral, in-your-face, action scenes filmed.

HammerZ
2009.03.24, 11:37 PM
I kick back and watch TCM and catch many of those classics. This past weekend I taped Two Lane Blacktop. It's a boring film compared to the others, but I have a soft spot in my heart for it. Two guys tooling around in an old primer grey '55 Chevy, racing every time they can. When it comes to car movies, you sure can't beat the originals, Death Race and 60 Seconds both come to mind.

What I don't see on TCM, I have DVDs of them. As you can tell I like hot rod movies as well. Still Tom Cruise has nothing on Steve Mcqueen or Paul Newman.

For glorified street racing, my recomendation; Hot Rods To Hell. Enough said.

eztuner12
2009.03.25, 12:07 AM
Car chase, what about 1968 Bullitt with Steve Mc.:eek:
Oh yeah!!!

herman
2009.03.25, 04:49 AM
not much of racing but car chase... ronin, some matrix scenes, fast & furious, transporter 1, 2, 3, gone in 60 sec, french connection, and some others mentioned above...

not much of a race... but... here's one... sorcerer... wonder if anybody else got to see this... i kinda remember watching it with sweaty palms... was full of suspense, thinking that you could blow up at any time....

more info...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076740/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076740/usercomments

ocean rodeo
2009.03.25, 05:27 AM
The original Herbie is a good one:D

LED
2009.03.25, 06:04 AM
Days of thunder. Not because of the racing but for Nicole Kidman. I love that movie.

But tbh, I think mentioning the fast and the furious is a descrace to racing. Sh*t movies.

herman
2009.03.25, 06:53 AM
Days of thunder. Not because of the racing but for Nicole Kidman. I love that movie.

But tbh, I think mentioning the fast and the furious is a descrace to racing. Sh*t movies.

bring out the wet noodle... hahaha... :D

i think i should flagellate myself too for mentioning f&f... movie was... bleh... but thinking more about the car scenes that they did...

james bond car chases...

hmmm... how about motorcycle chase??? haven't seen those too often...

bemoore
2009.03.25, 09:31 AM
I don't have any favorite racing movies. I've seen pretty much all of them, and none of them impress me. It's been a long time since I've seen LeMans or Grand Prix. I may have to give them another shot. However, for a "car movie", nothing comes close to Gumball Rally. Especially not the cheesy Cannonball Run series. The Cannonball Run series was about the big name stars. Gumball Rally was about the cars. All of the action was at full speed. Yes, I know, so was Bullit, but Bullit really only had one good chase scene. Gumball Rally was full of high speed scenes. Watching the Camaro doing 4 wheel drifts through a mountain pass at insane speeds runs chills up my spine.

Days Of Thunder? That was so bad I felt like I needed a bath after leaving the theater. Not even Nicole Kidman could save that one. The movie Cars (you know, with Lightning McQueen) had a better story.

The first Blues Brothers had a lot of good chase scenes.

I enjoyed the original Vanishing Point when it first came out, but after watching it many years later, I couldn't get past the fact that the hero was running from the cops because he was running drugs. I'm not a big fan of drug dealers. It did have a lot of cool scenes though.

I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of them now.

HammerZ
2009.03.25, 11:03 PM
Now, with more chase films on the table, I want to add another classic. Thunder Road, released back in 1958. Was a very good film at that time. Many a moonshine film was a take on that one.

Vanishing Point, about running drugs? I knew he bought uppers. Just at the time the movie was made drug use was everywhere. I thought he was delivering the car, and needed the pills to stay awake. I also liked the lady bike rider myself. That was her first job in movies, and now she is working costumes. Talk about irony. This film also had a cheap TV movie remake, I never seen it though.

Car chase, what about 1968 Bullitt with Steve Mc.:eek:
Oh yeah!!!

Always a good film if you can smell the burning rubber and exhaust fumes. The dirty feel brings us back to Days Of Thunder again. I like Mad Max the first one the best. I think it had the best opening of any film.

"Laying down a rubber road right straight to freedom." "Born with a steering wheel in my hands, and nitro in my veins. I am the nightrider."

eztuner12
2009.03.26, 01:51 AM
White Lightning with Burt Reynolds.
About Gone in 60 Seconds, definitely the (1974) version.
Hammerz about Vanishing Point, you forgot to mention the fabulous Dodge Challenger. One of my want to have at that time, but I was just a kid.
Ronin. Just love BMWs in action.
I see no comment about The Gumball Rally, didn’t anybody like it?
Cheers

HammerZ
2009.03.26, 02:41 AM
I didn't have to mention the Challanger, as I loved QT's Death Proof. It was a nice throwback to those early 70's car films. Yes, I sat through Planet Terror at the movie house to see it.

"Did you just hit a boat?" I have no idea why, but every time I hear that line it cracks me up.

eztuner12
2009.03.26, 03:18 AM
Cool^:)
Perhaps this coming Fast & Furious will be the best, with some nice 70’s muscles big block in action, on hand of the original actors, oh yeah!!!!!!! :eek:
Cheers:cool:

Pierro
2009.03.26, 03:41 AM
I'm very surprised anyone put a word on a classical car movie...
Mad Max! And the overpowered interceptor!
Certainly not a good movie for the actor performance, but such a myth in car movies...

In the comedy range, we have here in Europe the "taxi" movies with a white peugeot 405 fully tuned. I don't know if the license as reached other countries. The first one is the most funny of them.

I must admit that that some of the films here are still missing in my background so I know wat I can search for. :)

bemoore
2009.03.26, 06:41 AM
I see no comment about The Gumball Rally, didn’t anybody like it?
Cheers
See posts 7 and 17. It's my absolute favorite car movie.

herman
2009.03.26, 11:01 AM
Mad Max! And the overpowered interceptor!... In the comedy range, we have here in Europe the "taxi" movies with a white peugeot 405 fully tuned. I don't know if the license as reached other countries.
i was about to put down mad max.... ''i am the night rider, we know who you are''... ya taxi by luc beson... the guy behind the transporter series... that was pretty cool too... still have to see the whole taxi though... seen parts especially when he took in a husband and his laboring pregnant wife to the hospital... lol...

will3kgt
2009.03.26, 01:09 PM
Best race movie:LeMans
Best car chase scene:Ronin
Best cars in a Movie: F&F,and F&F Tokyo D (2nd was a bad Mitsubishi commercial)

HammerZ
2009.03.26, 08:19 PM
There was the american version of Taxi, with a transforming Ford Crown Vic. Now if I found it more funny than stupid, I know I risk the wet noodle treatment for bringing that one up. As it makes Days Of Thunder look like a good film. I have heard of the french one, just have not seen it.

MINIz guy11
2009.03.26, 08:48 PM
I haven't seen many movies, but I do recall loving The Gumball Rally when it played on Speed Channel. I really want to see the original Transporter with the BMW 7 series, 32 Hours 7 Minutes whenever that comes out and Alex Roy's 31 Hours 59 Minutes M5 run.

I like BMW's, just wish I could find more BMW movies. I've seen the BMW films with Clive Owen, but those were only short scenes and not a full out movie.

JacobFeinstein
2009.03.27, 01:00 AM
Grand Prix, without a doubt. ;)

eztuner12
2009.03.27, 01:52 AM
Certainly oldies were better for what I can read, or it is that we are the old ones.:eek:
Cheers;):D

Pierro
2009.03.27, 07:45 AM
I'm from 1983 so I'm as old as the interceptor! :D
Don't be scared eztuner12, I do believe lots of oldies are better.

As are the cars, my favourite of all times shall always be old ladies like a lancia delta, plymouth cuda... But won't beat the only one Ferrari GTO of 84.

I also like the first transporter with the BMW serie 7.
The french version of taxi is really a comedy. Where he made the radar fall from its support only by the wind the car made. :p

soyverde
2009.03.27, 11:27 PM
C'était un rendez-vous (http://vimeo.com/757553) (alternative link (http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/sports/watch/v1630567rkEMfHRJ))

While the story behind it turns out not to be as glamorous as I once thought (stupid wikipedia ruining the mystique with its facts and figures), it's still a beautiful piece of film.

Pop it on full-screen, turn the sound up, and enjoy. :D

HammerZ
2009.03.28, 04:55 PM
Last night on TCM before the TCM Underground they showed a behind the scenes clip of Grand Prix. Showing the camera rigs used. Very much like the rig setups they are using today, look's like thing have not changed much. Heres a link to my post in the Transformers thread with links to those new rigs.

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=337682&postcount=21

eztuner12
2009.03.28, 05:27 PM
C'était un rendez-vous (http://vimeo.com/757553) (alternative link (http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/sports/watch/v1630567rkEMfHRJ))

While the story behind it turns out not to be as glamorous as I once thought (stupid wikipedia ruining the mystique with its facts and figures), it's still a beautiful piece of film.

It sounds like a very low RPM engine or totally out of compression. Any idea what car it is?
Cheers

eztuner12
2009.03.28, 05:30 PM
Last night on TCM before the TCM Underground they showed a behind the scenes clip of Grand Prix. Showing the camera rigs used. Very much like the rig setups they are using today, look's like thing have not changed much. Heres a link to my post in the Transformers thread with links to those new rigs.

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=337682&postcount=21

Again, just love Bimmers in action!!!!
Cheers

MINIz guy11
2009.03.28, 07:52 PM
It sounds like a very low RPM engine or totally out of compression. Any idea what car it is?
Cheers

The car that was being driven was a Mercedes Benz 450SEL 6.9, but the engine sound was from a Ferrari 275GTB. Quite amazing driving by the director, going through Paris at those speeds at public times!

eztuner12
2009.03.28, 09:02 PM
The car that was being driven was a Mercedes Benz 450SEL 6.9, but the engine sound was from a Ferrari 275GTB. Quite amazing driving by the director, going through Paris at those speeds at public times!
Hi MINIz guy11
Man it must be A 1967 Blowout Ferrari 275GTB-4:eek:
Thx for the info.
Cheers

deloreanaka8
2009.03.29, 02:41 PM
Oh and I forgot to mention the silliest car movie I've seen yet, it's a german picture called "Manta Manta".
About the old days Opel Manta drivers being dumb with bimbo gf's, lots of tuned Mantas there... some even look ridiculous. :p
The only thing that took my attention to this latest F&F movie was the fact that I saw a white Ford RS200 in the trailer, nothing else. :rolleyes:

Dudemeister
2009.04.12, 01:07 AM
Who are you and why are you spamming the forums ??:mad::mad::mad:

eztuner12
2009.04.12, 01:13 AM
Who are you and why are you spamming the forums ??:mad::mad::mad:
Hi Dudemeister
Just a jerk, don’t bother with it, perhaps his wife is having fun with some other guy while he is playing @ Hehehehehe :D

Dudemeister
2009.04.12, 01:24 AM
Hi Dudemeister
Just a jerk, don’t bother with it, perhaps his wife is having fun with some other guy while he is playing @ Hehehehehe :D

This A**hole is spamming every forum. He's systematically going down the list and adding his trash to each thread.

Crap like this really burns my a**.:mad::mad:

eztuner12
2009.04.12, 01:35 AM
This A**hole is spamming every forum. He's systematically going down the list and adding his trash to each thread.

Crap like this really burns my a**.:mad::mad:

I can see that, I am getting my mailbox full with his garbage. Typically an action from a A*s h**e head

deloreanaka8
2009.04.12, 03:48 AM

LOL, like he even is old enough to have a wife.... :p
Must be around 12 or less, and his envy of the Mini-Z made him cuckoo. :D

HammerZ
2009.04.12, 05:51 AM
Soon the mods will rope it in, and we be back to the movie talk. It's up to 77 posts that this time, most only do two or three maybe.

Skv012a
2009.04.12, 11:39 AM

Crazy Frenchmen, their loads of money, and lack of police in the whole city :D

LED
2013.09.20, 05:20 PM
Very old thread I know but..

Cars! I watched like 15 times already with my 4 year old and the end always makes me wet in my eyes..

cowboysir
2013.09.22, 03:59 PM
I have a feeling that "Rush" will be soon taking the top honors of best racing movie...well all know on Friday.

WorldClassZ
2013.09.22, 05:34 PM
I have a feeling that "Rush" will be soon taking the top honors of best racing movie...well all know on Friday.

I can't wait.

mleemor60
2013.09.22, 07:25 PM
Hard to tell. If movie is about the drivers then it will be very good. The actors selected both bear striking resemblance to James Hunt and Nikki Lauda pre fire. Another good one to watch is the documentary on Senna.

dirttrackdemon9
2013.09.23, 03:39 PM
I think the movie rush will be good, But I am a fan of the old Richard Pryor movie Greased Lightning. its the story of Wendell Scott.

mleemor60
2013.09.27, 06:42 PM
Saw "Rush" this afternoon. Excellent movie. However. If you are less than say 58 years old and only a fan of F-1 in it's current state you will be very disappointed. This movie is about the history of Hunt and Lauda in their rise from F-3 into their championships. The story line is really good and also very accurate. If you are looking for race footage it is scarce. What there is is period correct and taken from newsreels and what ever was available during that era and I can tell you it wasn't much. It was good to see the old 6 wheel Tyrells among others. Ron Howard did a very very good job in piecing things together around the actors who by the way bear uncanny resemblance to both Hunt and Lauda as evidenced by the closing footage of both the real protagonists. I highly recommend it to all. The ones that are old enough to remenisce and enjoy and the neophites that can learn and enjoy. Good flick.

cowboysir
2013.10.01, 11:55 PM
Saw "Rush" this afternoon. Excellent movie. However. If you are less than say 58 years old and only a fan of F-1 in it's current state you will be very disappointed. This movie is about the history of Hunt and Lauda in their rise from F-3 into their championships. The story line is really good and also very accurate. If you are looking for race footage it is scarce. What there is is period correct and taken from newsreels and what ever was available during that era and I can tell you it wasn't much. It was good to see the old 6 wheel Tyrells among others. Ron Howard did a very very good job in piecing things together around the actors who by the way bear uncanny resemblance to both Hunt and Lauda as evidenced by the closing footage of both the real protagonists. I highly recommend it to all. The ones that are old enough to remenisce and enjoy and the neophites that can learn and enjoy. Good flick.

+1...you nailed it exactly, mleemor...a beautiful telling of a classic time of F1 interspersed with a bit of footage.

Loved hearing Murray Walker announcing and loved seeing some of the posters i used to have as a kid. Brazil in January 1976...that was when real men raced in F1!

pedrocamp
2013.10.02, 07:38 AM
I saw Rush last Friday and highly recommend it. Great movie adaptation of a great rivalry well played by the actors... especially BrUhl who makes a very convincing Lauda. I was a big fan of F1 during this time, my high school days, and to see it brought back to life so authentically by Mr. Howard was thrilling for me. There are a few niggling mistakes and I am sure a few plot and dialogue stretches but the overall story and care taken to present the feel and look of racing in that day made this movie equal to "Le Mans" in my opinion but with a real story. Bravo Mr. Howard, I'll be seeing it again and buy a copy when available.