PDA

View Full Version : F1 tires.

edhchoe
2009.04.03, 01:28 AM
I am running my f1 on interlocking foam mats at home. The car was pushing but driveable when I had stock fronts and Atomic 10 Rears with grooves. I put a pair of Atomic 30 in the front with grooves and the car now oversteers (the car does 180) in fast turns. I tried PN RCP 6 in the rear with the Atomic 30 in the front and the car still oversteers. What front tires will give me neutral steering?
Or do I just need to slow down more before the turn?

EMU
2009.04.03, 05:13 AM
Try the PN 15 or 20d fronts. Or ATM 40d. The ATM 10d rears dont have much grip on foam tracks. On carpet, they work best.

I personally used Kyosho 20d grooved rears, with Team Kyosho 20d slick fronts at the KO race... very good balance for me (70t motor). At my home track, I use Kyosho 20d grooved rears with PN 20d fronts trued flat, then grooved (adds a little more grip than the way they come, but not as much as the PN 15d). We have a lot of front bite at the local track.

JuniorWKR
2009.04.03, 10:11 AM
the local track by me has tons of traction... i run kyosho 20 grooved rears and kyosho 40 grooved fronts... i also run the hardest springs up front with the 40 degree tires... seems to be a good combo... i have noticed when i go to other tracks with less traction the kyosho 30's work pretty well...

edhchoe
2009.04.03, 10:37 AM
Is Kyosho 20 comparable to PN 6?

Atm 30 is a lot harder material than Atm 10 but it still has too much bite.

I tested some more this morning and the Atm 30/PN RCP 6 (f/r) setup is working good but on right hand turns it makes a quick 120 turn and stops. On left hand turns it behaves OK.

Thanks for the suggestions!

EMU
2009.04.03, 01:26 PM
You may need to shim to get the tweak out. Between the motormount and the side plates.

Like Junior, I like the 40d grooved fronts better than the 30d. Atomic front tires have a deeper groove, which adds a little more traction. So a 30d groove front grips more like a Kyosho 25d grooved front... and the ATM 40d groove is like a Kyosho 35d.

I personally like the feel of slick front tires on all of my cars... Everyone has their own preferences. Hard springs in the front... I dont ever change that. Make sure that the front springs are even. Only use Kyosho springs. I have used 'other' springs, and they either binded or they were not the same height, so they gave inconsistant handling.

JuniorWKR
2009.04.03, 01:42 PM
You may need to shim to get the tweak out. Between the motormount and the side plates.

Like Junior, I like the 40d grooved fronts better than the 30d. Atomic front tires have a deeper groove, which adds a little more traction. So a 30d groove front grips more like a Kyosho 25d grooved front... and the ATM 40d groove is like a Kyosho 35d.

I personally like the feel of slick front tires on all of my cars... Everyone has their own preferences. Hard springs in the front... I dont ever change that. Make sure that the front springs are even. Only use Kyosho springs. I have used 'other' springs, and they either binded or they were not the same height, so they gave inconsistant handling.

my chassi required 3 .5 shims to get the turning the same... it seem to me that all the chassis i have come across use between 2 and 4 shims depending on set up and rear pod... dont ask me why... cause i have no idea...

edhchoe
2009.04.03, 04:18 PM
so... if the car whips around in left turns only, which side do I add shims?

EMU
2009.04.03, 04:22 PM
That means that the inside rear wheel is lifting, so you would want to shim the right side.

Jace1283
2009.04.03, 05:11 PM
front - kyosho 30
rear - kyosho 20

from there i tune the steering through the controller and it handles great on RCP. I use a helios so i can control left and right steering

if your using a controler whithout left and right specific adjustments then your car may simply turn more one way than the other.

edhchoe
2009.04.04, 12:52 AM
shimming worked! I added two washers on the right side and the car handles awesome! The size of the turning circle is slightly different from left to right but the car does not spin out at least. The car turns precisely without losing grip.
Thank you.