View Full Version : Steak Cookout on 9th what do you prefer

cvt01
2009.04.06, 09:16 PM
So folks here is the menu if we did the 9th:
Ribeye
T-bone/Porterhouse
New York Strip
Tenderloin

The "normal" size cuts at Sam's are around 14-20 oz (Porterhouse being the biggest) regular price on steaks is 5-7 bucks per pound, tenderloin is around 10 (which I really don't get as that one has the least flavor of all)

My personal favorite is the ribeye, this has the most flavor and the most fat in it as the two (flavor and fat) goes hand-in-hand.

Please vote on the cut you prefer. It would be really cool if people teamed up on one style of cut as Sam's selling them in packs. T-bone in two packs Ribeyes in three packs New york strip in 3-4 packs and tenderloins come in 5-6 packs (those are kinda small around 8oz a cut - so one can manage two slices ;))

I think we could manage the steak cookout around 8-9 bucks per person which is not really too much more than what we normally spend on junk food.

I don't know about you but I'm not a big fan of sides with my steaks. I normally eat the meet with no sides or some sauteed onions and mushrooms. We can cook those on the grill in a cast iron pan on butter.

We need at least 4 people (including me) to vote in order to make the hustle worth it.

mini-z
2009.04.06, 09:34 PM
First of all P, what on earth happened to you on Friday?! We all rushed to make sure we could get in another race before you left, and then you didn't even show up!? :p :D Can you email me your cell # - the # I have for you has been disconnected. So, Carlos and Chuck apparently care more about getting their Easter bonnets just right than about racing and when we discussed it on Friday the next race was unfortunately scheduled for the 24th (when do you leave?). But I say let's do this Thursday as a general fun GTG/setup session/Peter send off/etc. and whoever shows shows and whoever is too much of a wuss is too much of a wuss. Btw, I'm glad everyone put feeble Hugh Jazz type info on the signup sheet so that when I'm trying to contact you to make sure you're aware of this week's event I find out I don't have your #s etc. :rolleyes:.

mini-z
2009.04.06, 09:41 PM
Btw P, what kind of awesome stuff are you leaving to the Dojo since you can't take all your junk back to Latvia or wherever? :D

cvt01
2009.04.07, 03:40 PM
I actually told you last time that I'm gonna be in Washington on the first weekend of April, I've seen Chuck's post about last Friday and felt sorry but did not want to be a party pooper... I was hoping we could do the 17th.
24th is not good for me at all. Maybe I show up to say good bye...

I have no awesome stuff to leave behind really :( and I get to take up to 12000lb of junk in a seatainer if I wanted to. That fits all the crap I own... But if you really want some souvenir I can take a dump in your Mazda Miata (again) and leave a Miley Cyruss CD in your CD player.

I'm impressed you know all those countries man, usually the guys around here are not really well educated in geography...

]-[ector
2009.04.07, 08:01 PM
Speakin of hunks of meat, how's about sausage? They're yummiest when you can just fit it into your mouth and slide it all the way in to tickle the back of your throat. MMMMMM. Atleast that's how I've hear David likes his meat.

Steak sounds good. So does screwing around on a Thursday before a long weekend.

mini-z
2009.04.07, 09:32 PM
I actually told you last time that I'm gonna be in Washington on the first weekend of April, I've seen Chuck's post about last Friday and felt sorry but did not want to be a party pooper... I was hoping we could do the 17th.
24th is not good for me at all. Maybe I show up to say good bye...

I have no awesome stuff to leave behind really :( and I get to take up to 12000lb of junk in a seatainer if I wanted to. That fits all the crap I own... But if you really want some souvenir I can take a dump in your Mazda Miata (again) and leave a Miley Cyruss CD in your CD player.

I'm impressed you know all those countries man, usually the guys around here are not really well educated in geography...

Oh snap - boy are we gonna miss you P - you've got to at least post to the forums etc. after you leave (do they have internet in Herzegovina or whatever?). 3 makes a class, so sausagefest is on for Thursday - what time do we want to start? And P, you're gonna haul the grill over in the monster truck yeah? Coo.

mini-z
2009.04.07, 09:35 PM
-[ector;342861']Speakin of hunks of meat, how's about sausage? They're yummiest when you can just fit it into your mouth and slide it all the way in to tickle the back of your throat. MMMMMM. Atleast that's how I've hear David likes his meat.

Steak sounds good. So does screwing around on a Thursday before a long weekend.

Arg - and I managed to not bring up that Peter's tonsils will no longer be in the way of his usual late-night activities... J, can you pester Carlos to try to make it (do his parents arrive this week or next?). I'll txt everyone tomorrow as it doesn't seem like they're checking the forums, probably because we said next race w/b the 24th. Coo.

cvt01
2009.04.08, 08:25 AM
We are on bitches!!!

I will take the grill and all the stuff I need for the cooking. We will pick up the meet fresh from Sam's club. We do have paper plates I recall in the Dojo right?

will3kgt
2009.04.08, 09:19 AM
Not sure if I can make it..I'll try.

mini-z
2009.04.08, 11:58 AM
We are on bitches!!!

I will take the grill and all the stuff I need for the cooking. We will pick up the meet fresh from Sam's club. We do have paper plates I recall in the Dojo right?

Coo; yes we have paper plates - anything else we need? Start at 7 yeah?

mini-z
2009.04.08, 12:10 PM
OK, so roster so far:

Peter
David
Jason
Derrick
Maybe Will

Jerry is a no, as he can't be bothered to drive here from AL for some reason. :rolleyes: :p Still waiting for others... :)

mini-z
2009.04.08, 12:16 PM
Btw P, need your help on this:

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31367

And Will, did you see this:

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31366

:D

cvt01
2009.04.08, 01:28 PM
Here is the menu so far:

grilled ribeye steak on texas toast
baked beans
sauteed onions and mushrooms

Here is a part of the list of the items I need to bring unless the Dojo already has some of them, so D. please read it and reply with what you have:

napkins
paper towel
water cans
bleach
sponge
garbage bags
aluminum foil
cups
worklights (it will be dark outside, I'm thinking we can use the red worklights for the cooking)
cooler
can opener
foam plates (paper plates are not really good as the steak will release some juice)
foam bowls for the beans

if any of you have a favourite BBQ or steak sauce feel free to bring them. I like my stake with only the rub on it...

mini-z
2009.04.08, 02:26 PM
Damn P, you're going all out, this is going to rock! :D We for sure have:

paper towel
garbage bags
cups
worklights (it will be dark outside, I'm thinking we can use the red worklights for the cooking)
paper plates

Maybe everyone else can sign up to bring other items, as well as drinks etc.? And whatever we don't have we can do a quick run to the store for w/ Dojo fund?

And, we're starting at 7 like usual right? :)

wolfman
2009.04.08, 05:48 PM
count me in! I can bring supplies i will select later tonight.

wolfman
2009.04.08, 05:56 PM
I can bring aluminum foil, sponge, bleach and a med size cooler.
Here is the menu so far:

grilled ribeye steak on texas toast
baked beans
sauteed onions and mushrooms

Here is a part of the list of the items I need to bring unless the Dojo already has some of them, so D. please read it and reply with what you have:

napkins
paper towel
water cans
bleach
sponge
garbage bags
aluminum foil
cups
cooler
can opener
foam plates (paper plates are not really good as the steak will release some juice)
foam bowls for the beans

if any of you have a favourite BBQ or steak sauce feel free to bring them. I like my stake with only the rub on it...

cvt01
2009.04.08, 06:48 PM
K, make sure you come really hungry as those porterhouse steaks are 20-24oz each.

So this is where we are right now:

paper towel - dojo this will serve as napkins
garbage bags - dojo
cups - dojo
worklights - dojo
paper plates - dojo

aluminum foil - superman
sponge - superman
bleach - superman (we only need just a little to make bleach water like a 1/4 of a cup or something)

now I think about it we really don't need a cooler unless we want to get beer...

so I will take care of the rest:

water cans
can opener
foam plates
foam bowls for the beans

Of course we will go all out with this :D grilling for me is a hobby like RC racing or photography, it only makes sense if you do it seriously.

Weather looks good so far no rain sunshine and ~50F, this is gonna be great :D

Oh yeah, we should start 7PM

Oh by the way if any of you was interested I have a 2004 Pontiac Vibe for sale, low mileage great condition. It is being detailed right now asking price is 8.2k

dyeo
2009.04.09, 05:14 AM
sorry for replying so late, been a busy night.

I can bring cans of coke and ginger ale. Cant stay for long though, have tons of stuff to get done by a month ago.

cvt01
2009.04.09, 08:12 AM
sorry for replying so late, been a busy night.

I can bring cans of coke and ginger ale. Cant stay for long though, have tons of stuff to get done by a month ago.

you did not vote for the steak you want to have, so you are getting a t-bone :D as I said they come in two packs so K. gets one and you gonna get the other. Just kidding, feel free to vote for anything you like.

mini-z
2009.04.09, 09:59 AM
OK, so roster so far:

Peter
David
Jason
Derrick
Maybe Will

Jerry is a no, as he can't be bothered to drive here from AL for some reason. :rolleyes: :p Still waiting for others... :)

Chuck is also a maybe, and Kevin is in; no word from Carlos, Dan etc. despite emails and txts...? :rolleyes:

mini-z
2009.04.09, 10:00 AM
I can bring aluminum foil, sponge, bleach and a med size cooler.

Coo - this is what Dojo Membership is all about! :) :cool:

mini-z
2009.04.09, 10:00 AM
Of course we will go all out with this :D grilling for me is a hobby like RC racing or photography, it only makes sense if you do it seriously.

We know - we tried to google for your # last week and ended up at your Amazon wishlist! :D

Hippo
2009.04.09, 10:21 AM
count me in! I can bring supplies i will select later tonight.
Let me know what's left to bring. I voted for Tbone/Porterhouse.

If were going to pretend it's summer I can bring potato salad. Or heck, we've got a lot of potato here so I can bring baked. But I don't have any butter or sour cream handy.

-Dan

mini-z
2009.04.09, 10:39 AM
Whoa, Dan is in too - awesome - see if you can drag Carlos w/ you as well! :D Potato Salad sounds great! You and I live so close that if we find ourselves short of any sundries, we can go grab them easily, or make a quick run to the numerous local stores. :cool: :)

mini-z
2009.04.09, 10:47 AM
Btw, bring Epochs, dNaNos, etc. - if it gets here in time today we've got a new track to test. :)

cvt01
2009.04.09, 11:51 AM
Im bringing butter, we need that for the mushroom and onions

]-[ector
2009.04.09, 12:26 PM
We've both been so busy that I haven't even seen Carlos all week. Even if he could come, and I doubt that he would, Carlos can NOT eat red meat. His body can't handle it for some reason. We would have to have a chicken patty standing by or something. I'll try to hook up with him today.

I do have some supplies that I can throw in the car tonight after work. What about utensils??? I could bring some but I don't want any of them getting lost.

Here's what I have that I know I can brung:
grill cooking tools
big ass cooler
ice from my freezer
some barbecue sauce
tater chips
aluminum foil
can opener(swiss army knife)
2 baby red potatoes
tub o butter
sugar
steak seasonings
rice
cat food
What the hell is the bleach for?

mini-z
2009.04.09, 12:43 PM
Oh crap, forgot about the hyp(o|er)glycemia! We have plastic utensils if that's what you mean, and I assume Peter has like titanium/CF grilling utensils. But, plastic might not work for big hunks of meat, so, maybe steak knives if you have em?

OH! RE bleach: in Peter's home country, they have a complex caste system - Peter's basically trying to bring himself up a few shades and try to pass for an American when he goes back! :D

cvt01
2009.04.09, 01:14 PM
bleach is needed for bleach water (1/4 cup bleach for a gallon of water). This is great for disinfecting stuff getting in touch with raw meet (like cutting boards, knives, thongs etc...).

I bring all the tools for the grilling but bringing your own steak knives and forks would be great as I may not have enough for everybody and eating steak with plastic knife is just silly.
I also have the rub seasoning ready. You get to taste the REAL hungarian ground paprika boys!!! My mom smuggled in a two pound bag last time she visited ;). The stuff they sell under the name "hungarian red paprika" or something in the grocery stores around here does not even come close to this real stuff.

]-[ector
2009.04.09, 01:29 PM
We are racing too yes?

I have six steak knives and some el cheapo cafeteria grade butter knives. I'll bring some forks and spoons.

mini-z
2009.04.09, 01:49 PM
If by racing you mean messing around on the track while we wait for beef, then yes! :D No points, but we'll do something fun...! :)

Looking forward to the "Hungarian Red"! :D

P, still looking for your help on the Clubs (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31367)thread! :D

cvt01
2009.04.09, 01:57 PM
Or the people who missed the first round in the month (like me) may do it with some fillers...

dyeo
2009.04.09, 11:27 PM
I was kind of intrigued by the new track stuff and just had to look it up. apparently the track tiles without the guardrails are in some kind of new euro-chic style...

"New FlatTrack

Things are happening fast here at RealTracks. Right on the heels of our new lane marker options is our new FlatTrack. FlatTrack came as a result of many of our European customers requests for an even more realistic driving experience for their DnaNos. FlatTrack is now our favorite track to race and practice on. Its great to slide off the track when you take a corner too fast and then lose time as you drive back on the track. There are many guardrail options that allow both temporary and permanent attachment. The guardrails can be placed at strategic locations around the track to keep everyone honest. Best of all, it's 1 1/2 wider and completely compatible with our standard integrated guardrail track. "

]-[ector
2009.04.12, 05:51 PM
Damn! That steak was so good I've been holding my **** in for three days so I won't have to part with it.

cvt01
2009.04.14, 12:18 PM
:D:D:D:D:D:D that's a compliment!!! thanks J.

mini-z
2009.04.23, 09:55 PM
Yep, that was just amazing P. What I don't understand is why we waited until now to finally have the BBQ instead of having it every week for the past ? years?! :confused: :) You better be bringing a little bag of paprika for each of us as a parting gift! :)