PDA

View Full Version : traction control diff???

dvsstrike
2009.04.09, 09:50 PM
hey everyone what the heck is this thing i saw one on the bay and was wondering what it was and did? looks like a gear diff to me.

cowboysir
2009.04.09, 10:44 PM
It's a ball diff from some company...

eztuner12
2009.04.09, 11:04 PM
Hi dvsstrike
"looks like a gear diff to me"
It is probably LSD (limited slip differential) Were at the bay did you see it???
Thx for providing me this information.:)
Cheers

eztuner12
2009.04.09, 11:13 PM
I found it, is a NEW Kyosho brand differential for F-1 part# KYO695048
But it is to blurry to identify any thing.
Cheers

ruf
2009.04.10, 02:12 AM
Never ran one.

http://www.ultimatetoys.com.au/images/kyo695048.jpg

dvsstrike
2009.04.10, 08:11 AM
so hows it work? thanks for the pics joe.

cowboysir
2009.04.10, 08:58 AM
If I were to guess, I'd say the shims (O-rings?)can be fitted into the gear area, placing either one or both on either side of the gears to create some friction in movement of diff action. I remember doing something like this in my xmod days with home built plastic washers in the diff gears and it worked reasonably well.

It might be a bit of a POS to adjust since there's really only three stages of function and to my view it'd involve pulling the e-clip to change every time.

ruf
2009.04.10, 02:09 PM
I've got one coming. Will mess with it next week I guess. I want to say it's an old part with the "Team Kyosho" branding.

edhchoe
2009.04.10, 07:36 PM
why did you buy one?? traction control...:D.. any ball diff that can slip a little can be named traction control. , imo.

ruf
2009.04.10, 07:40 PM
You're right, we usually just run a little slip on the ball diff if necessary. I bought one to try it out to see if it is worthwhile. That's what we do at Reflex. Never assume that you've got THE answer.

edhchoe
2009.04.10, 11:36 PM
I hope that 'traction control diff' surprises all of us.

eztuner12
2009.04.11, 12:40 AM
Perhaps a nice impact marketing word for a sealed diff "wow traction control diff" in rank to attract people, as we have been engrossed, I guess all diffs are traction control.:rolleyes:
Cheers;)

Cherub1m
2009.04.11, 12:23 PM
If I were to guess, I'd say the shims (O-rings?)can be fitted into the gear area, placing either one or both on either side of the gears to create some friction in movement of diff action. I remember doing something like this in my xmod days with home built plastic washers in the diff gears and it worked reasonably well.

It might be a bit of a POS to adjust since there's really only three stages of function and to my view it'd involve pulling the e-clip to change every time.

By just looking at it I think your right cowboysir. I usually just add different weight grease to tame the gear diff to my liking :D.

tosh
2009.04.25, 09:15 PM
I using an atomic diff,
I lost my e clip a while ago, then discovered that once the wheel is back on, the bearing in the rim holds everything in place anyway, if fact it fits better!the e-clip used to cause it to wobble just slightly as it has a smaller diameter than the face on the bearing it touches----so am I missing something? I dont notice any performance loss without the e-clip, I just notice that now I have BOTH rear wheels fit nice and square without any wobble, previously only the left wheel with the set screw would fit tight....what do you guys think?

Is there something I should be realizing?

ruf
2009.04.25, 11:53 PM
You are actually using the outside wheel bearing as a thrust bearing now. Not a good thing. I would replace the e-clip and use a new bearing in the diff while you're at it. You can use very thin shims to take up the slack in the outside bearing if you really care that much. Make sure you don't overdo it and bind it up.

herman
2009.04.26, 10:26 PM
yeah i remember that team kyosho ''tracktion control gear diff'' back in the day...
also remember reading that it was a pos and a waste of money on a h.k. forum...
have no experience using it though... just what i read

basically it's a gear diff with - i believe it came with 3 o rings for different types of limited slip...

will be waiting for ruf's impressions after testing...

tosh
2009.04.27, 09:34 PM
I just dont get it...how is it operating any differently if the rim is turning by being attached in sync with the two prongs that lock into it (the rectangular slots cut out on the back of the rim which match the diff housing)--
I am using the PN 64 pitch system with the larger bearing inside the diff already.

....and the most embarassing question....what function does "operating as a thrust bearing" serve compared to operating as a regular bearing?

EMU
2009.04.27, 11:08 PM
A thrust bearing receives lateral load.

You would need to add a spacer between the bearings inner races, if you plan to use the way you would an outer tune diff (without the e-clip).

The tightness of the wheel nut will change the diffs action. Take that in mind. You may want to loosen the diff before installing the wheel, tighten the wheel down, then adjust the diff to appropriate tightness.

One of the biggest issues with the outertune diffs, is that everytime you want to make a wheel swap, the diff comes apart, and tuning is lost.

I personally dont think its a good idea to use the diff without the e clip.

tosh
2009.04.28, 04:29 PM
I appreciate the insight

ocean rodeo
2009.04.28, 08:57 PM
I believe the o-ring/s allow you to use silicone oil for tuning purposes.