PDA

View Full Version : charging batteries

SkullCrusher
2009.04.16, 12:46 PM
would it be possible to charge aaa rechargables by puuting them in a battery holder and connecting that to my pro-peak charger?

dom (SkumCrusher)

dxm2
2009.04.16, 01:00 PM
That's exactly what I do with my ICE charger. I'm not familiar with the Pro-Preak, can you adjust the amps and the number of cells?

SkullCrusher
2009.04.17, 04:39 AM
yes you can adjust the amps 0.5-6 amps

MillerTime
2009.04.18, 08:05 AM
If you did it that way would it also make sense to occasionally charge them one by one to ensure they stay balanced?

totalazneclipse
2009.04.18, 02:30 PM
would it be possible to charge aaa rechargables by puuting them in a battery holder and connecting that to my pro-peak charger?

dom (SkumCrusher)

Yes it is possible. I use that method to charge my batteries and it works great.

If you did it that way would it also make sense to occasionally charge them one by one to ensure they stay balanced?

You could by using a single AAA battery holder, but I balance my AAA's like how I balance my 1/10th scale packs by using a discharging equalizer tray.

matxr4ti
2009.05.09, 02:11 AM
i charge like that for almost two year and all 20 of my AAA is still good

AeroFinn
2010.04.06, 11:56 PM
I am wondering is 1c charge too much for R1 nwurks or Team Orion 900 batteries..? Couldn't find any specs anywhere. I bought 8 team orion cells to test them and now they take something 500mAH when charging at 900mA:confused: I am charging by using a battery holder with Bantam BC6 charger.

machgo5go
2010.04.07, 05:30 AM
Hey, I have been racing from last 2 months in using 20 years old equipement from my 1/10 scale R/C days.
I did buy a PN Racing battery charger tray, hooked up to my 20 years old TEKIN peak battery charger/12V external power supply & a multimeter to see charging peak level.
Still works like a charm!

dvsstrike
2010.04.07, 06:32 AM
sorry to but in but why does everyone say "charge at 1c" or "2c" why doesen't everyone say "a" or "amp". saying that does confuse people and its the wrong acronym to say. thats my two sense. sorry to change subject. but back to the topic at hand.
Dom just put the cells in a battery holder either a atomic one or a pn one. just make sure to discharge them and balance them, again from pn or atomic

chad508
2010.04.07, 08:31 AM
sorry to but in but why does everyone say "charge at 1c" or "2c" why doesen't everyone say "a" or "amp".

"c" stands for current which is what amperage is. amperage is the measurement of electrical energy flow, aka current

dvsstrike
2010.04.07, 08:39 AM
in real terms "C" is not used in ohms law. the basic measurement is actually "i" for current or "w" for watts.everyone that i know refers it to amps or"a" not "c". i sorry to jack this thread but the term "c" is just buggin me

chad508
2010.04.07, 08:59 AM
i agree. when i first got into this it took me a while to get use to the term used. to call it 1a would be so much more simple.

hrdrvr
2010.04.07, 09:15 AM
'c' in this sense stands for "capacity" of the cell. The formulas people refer to (.5c,1c,2c) stand for multiplying the cpacity times the number stated. 2c would be 2 times the capacity. .5 would be .5 times the capacity, and so on. If youve got a 1000mah battery, then 1c = 1a. If youve got a 750mah battery then 1c = .75a. Its pretty simple actually......

chad508
2010.04.07, 09:19 AM
or what landon said.

dvsstrike
2010.04.07, 10:50 AM
you are charging yes in a sense you are storing energy. but capacitance is measured in farads.but again you are charging. everywhere i have been charging is always refered to amps. every battery charger in the world is refered in amps or mili amps, never with a "C". i just think saying "C" confuses some.this is the only place i know of people who say"c" for charging

TheSloth
2010.04.07, 11:47 AM
"c" stands for current which is what amperage is. amperage is the measurement of electrical energy flow, aka current

The universal symbol of current is "I". Nowhere I've seen current referred to as "c" or "C".

But what hrdrvr says makes sense, where the symbol "c" stands for a totally different concept.

chad508
2010.04.07, 12:02 PM
what landon said is correct i was more stating that amps and current are the same and that "c" can be viewed as current if it made it easier for some to understand.

EMU
2010.04.07, 12:21 PM
In general, when charging, you want to charge at the capacity of the cell. Cell manufacturers recommend never to exceed 1C, which means to charge at the capacity of the cell. 2C is double the capacity. Most LiPo cells have to be charged at their C rating, and their discharge is rated this way as well. You will see cells with a 20C rating, which means that they can discharge at a rate 20x their capacity, and should not exceed that discharge level.

For our AAA cells, I rarely charge at 1C, and usually charge over that... With larger cells, or LiPo, it is important to note the cells capacity, and charge accordingly. Following the "C" rating... This is not standard engineering terminology, more of a charging terminology for batteries for RC. Not everyone uses it, and rarely in our small AAA cell world where a lot of people charge over 1C for racing.

z3zinho
2010.04.07, 12:51 PM
The universal symbol of current is "I". Nowhere I've seen current referred to as "c" or "C".

But what hrdrvr says makes sense, where the symbol "c" stands for a totally different concept.

Just because you have never seen it, doesn't mean it's not right :D

If you go buy Li-Po batteries, all have their nominal discharge rate expressed in "C's" . hrdrvr already explained what it means and what it's used for.
Also if you check battery manufacturers data sheets you will see current referred to in terms C's.

dvsstrike
2010.04.07, 01:47 PM
skull, sorry to jack this thread but here it goes. you can charge your cells in a battery holder with your charger you have.now here it goes
if you have a
990mah cell charge at 1 amp
750mah cell cahrge at .75amp
1000mah cell charge at 1 amp
rarely you will not need to go higher than that.
again i'm sorry for your exessive reading to find a easy answer.

doug01n
2010.04.07, 02:29 PM
Take any lipo in the market and will be written in the label:
20C discharge, or 30C discharge rate.

The Discharge and Charge Rate are expressed in "C", as the friends above already said. So, it's a convention applied to RC batteries. Only that.

Specs of a 2S Lipo from HK site:

Rhino 1050mAh 2S 7.4v 40C Lipoly Pack
Capacity : 1050mAh
Constant discharge: 40C
Burst rate: 50C (15sec)
Configuration : 2S 7.4v
Pack size: 69x34x12mm
Weight : 75g

dvsstrike
2010.04.07, 04:22 PM
that might be the case for lipo as it is a different type of battery. these are nimh.
now what does your or any other charger say when you charge it?

chad508
2010.04.07, 08:28 PM
as a matter of fact my powerex maha does refer to the charge rate in "c" in the manual