PDA

View Full Version : RCP Inside Corner Curbs

RCPMini-z
2009.04.20, 11:01 PM
Brian Stanley and I were kicking back at the hotel on Saturday night after the first round of PN Regional qualifying runs and were discussing curbing around the inside corners of the RCP track. We came up with a pretty cool design that fits around all the corners of the RCP track that will prevent cars from hitting the corners and bumping back into traffic.

The new curbing design incoporates a tapered curb that extends the entire length of the large radius inside turns and around either the short 90 turns or back to back short 90 turns. The tapered curbing will extend 3 ~ 4 inches out past the rail and incorporate a slight taper at the outside edge of the curb the complete length. Drivers can choose to run just outside the curbing or run two tires up on the curb. There will be a slight disadvantage to running two tires on the curb as the grip will be poor, but it will not stop the cars foward motion. I think the new design will make a big differece in the flow of the race with cars only stoping and hitting the rails, if another driver comes in contact with another car during passing or you cut the corner way short.

I am making some prototype curbs this week. I will have one of the local clubs test them out. I already have a company here in the US who can make them for us in mass production. If all goes well, we should have them in stock very soon. I have discussed the design briefly with Philip from PN Racing and if his tests go well, we may incorporate them into the PN Worlds finals in Spain. Stay tuned.

EMU
2009.04.21, 01:48 AM
Sounds great!!!

One thing that I would like to suggest, is to have the rail recede into the curb, so that F1 or pan cars do not dig under them...

hrdrvr
2009.04.21, 07:15 AM
We recently incorporated something like this at our local club, and all I can say is they make a world of difference on the cleanliness of racing! I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with :D

With this, and your new worm rails (cant wait to see them either!!!), all we need is some modular elevation changes, and RCP will have all the realism of any other type of track!

Knacki
2009.04.21, 09:02 AM
With this, and your new worm rails (cant wait to see them either!!!), all we need is some modular elevation changes, and RCP will have all the realism of any other type of track!

No. For this it would be necessary to have a bigger choice of different curves angles and to implement even more space in the width for some kind of roll field, grass and so on.

But the curbes are a great idea and a first step to let RCP look and behave like a real race track. Please keep it going.
Even if I am not a race pilot I love the realistic look of the mini-z and would love to the see the big races finally happen on a real looking race track.
The missing curbes are one point beside the other mentioned above and some more why RCP is not called a real looking race track by the majority of mini-z clubs I know and mostly not used here in Germany.
It is just easy to use and body friendly ;)

hrdrvr
2009.04.21, 09:35 AM
No. For this it would be necessary to have a bigger choice of different curves angles and to implement even more space in the width for some kind of roll field, grass and so on.

From what I understand the worm rail will allow you to create any type of curve you want to create. I agree, you would still have to figure out how to do run-off areas on your own, but Ive allreay got that covered on my track ;)

RCPMini-z
2009.04.21, 10:45 AM

But the curbes are a great idea and a first step to let RCP look and behave like a real race track. Please keep it going.
Even if I am not a race pilot I love the realistic look of the mini-z and would love to the see the big races finally happen on a real looking race track.
The missing curbes are one point beside the other mentioned above and some more why RCP is not called a real looking race track by the majority of mini-z clubs I know and mostly not used here in Germany.
It is just easy to use and body friendly ;)

With the new worm rails, you will have plenty of realism in the track look and race lines. Choice of curve angles is unlimited and you can incorporate all the new parts to existing RCP Track kits. The new curb design will allow us to create grass like run off areas to add to the realism.

I will build some grass run off prototypes along with the new curbs. If all goes well I should have pictures by the end of the week/early next week.

arch2b
2009.04.21, 11:44 AM
i can't wait to see these, much less use them!

any chance this will be available for 30cm tracks? i just bought another mini-96 with expansion pack this winter:o probably my 3rd one so far.

Knacki
2009.04.22, 07:30 AM
With the new worm rails, you will have plenty of realism in the track look and race lines. Choice of curve angles is unlimited and you can incorporate all the new parts to existing RCP Track kits. The new curb design will allow us to create grass like run off areas to add to the realism.

I will build some grass run off prototypes along with the new curbs. If all goes well I should have pictures by the end of the week/early next week.

I have to apologize.
I didn't know the worm rail so far.

What you are describing sounds like a wonderful thing. Deleting all the arguments against RCP, beside drifting.
Can't wait to see some pictures.

Good luck!

Tjay
2009.04.22, 11:40 AM
John B: Send it this way for testing. :) We house few sponsored drivers and a lot of drivers in different level of R/C racing experience that will definitely give you an input on your new products. We can test them during practice and club race.

Locally we call our track, "test track". :)

RCPMini-z
2009.04.22, 01:17 PM
John B: Send it this way for testing. :) We house few sponsored drivers and a lot of drivers in different level of R/C racing experience that will definitely give you an input on your new products. We can test them during practice and club race.

Locally we call our track, "test track". :)

Not a problem. I have some being made for PN Racing and I will make a set for you to test out.

Thanks,
John