PDA

View Full Version : Pit Fan

Eman
2009.04.29, 02:33 PM
I wanted a pit fan that I didn't have to plug in. I made it out of stuff I had laying around. Pretty straight forward. It does a good job of cooling off motors and batteries. Easily fits into my tool/parts box. Parts used:
1. 50mm x 50mm 5v fan
2. 1.5mm carbon fiber
3. 4 AAA battery holder w/ built in switch

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k41/willis67017/Mini%20Z/pitfan.jpg

Skv012a
2009.04.29, 03:06 PM
Fan for what?

Roger
2009.04.30, 11:10 AM
The fan is for cooling down your car after your qualifier or run. That's a pretty sweet set-up. Nice and compact for easy packing. I also have a homemade fan set-up that I made long ago that is powered through my power supply. I'll shoot a pic later on and post it.

eztuner12
2009.04.30, 02:49 PM
I wanted a pit fan that I didn't have to plug in. I made it out of stuff I had laying around. Pretty straight forward. It does a good job of cooling off motors and batteries. Easily fits into my tool/parts box. Parts used:
1. 50mm x 50mm 5v fan
2. 1.5mm carbon fiber

Great and neat job there:eek:, I would suggest some grills on both side of the fan, as a safety precaution.

Yes, Skv012a this is one of the great advantages of participating in this great forum, we learn more every day.
Pit fan is necessary to cool down batteries when discharging & charging and after a run, doing this will prolong batteries life and better charging peak. Some motors, specially modified get very hot after 8 or 10 min race and cooling them with a pit fan will prevent chassis form bending/tweak.

Thx for shearing your great idea willis67017;).
Cheers

Skv012a
2009.04.30, 04:02 PM
I see, looks good.

I have a slightly easier solution that'll just require 1 outlet- AC to molex adapter and then ANY PC fan you want to use. I have a few IDE/SATA to USB adapters that came with these power adapters for the HDDs, but I've used them countless times for fans and it worked great. I'd even say that if you mod your current setup to use molex connectors, then you'll have both AC and battery power ready fan.

eztuner12
2009.04.30, 04:39 PM
I see, looks good.

I have a slightly easier solution that'll just require 1 outlet- AC to molex adapter and then ANY PC fan you want to use. I have a few IDE/SATA to USB adapters that came with these power adapters for the HDDs, but I've used them countless times for fans and it worked great. I'd even say that if you mod your current setup to use molex connectors, then you'll have both AC and battery power ready fan.

:eek:That sound great, I have two fans but both need a wall outlet and power supply. Your idea is the perfect solution. Can you post pics and a tutorial? They would be very helpfully too many of us.:):)
Thanks!
Cheers;)

Skv012a
2009.04.30, 05:33 PM
Its MUCH more simple than you think man, and I can just post in here as long as Willis doesn't mind.

eztuner12
2009.04.30, 06:45 PM
Its MUCH more simple than you think man, and I can just post in here as long as Willis doesn't mind.
Ok, I think I got it!
I am looking for a pic of my from RD since, I can't find my camera to show the one I have here in Miami, so stand by for the pic any time. I am sure willis won't mind, right willis?:)
Cheers

eztuner12
2009.04.30, 08:32 PM
I found it!:)
Here is the pic to one of my pit fan, both are exactly the same. If you can see it, check the connector on the right side. I do all my batteries there in cluding my helis Lipos.

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq219/eztuner12/batteryholders001.jpg

Eman
2009.04.30, 09:23 PM
The fan is for cooling down your car after your qualifier or run. That's a pretty sweet set-up. Nice and compact for easy packing. I also have a homemade fan set-up that I made long ago that is powered through my power supply. I'll shoot a pic later on and post it.

Thanks man. I was thinking of changing it a bit and going "green" with a small solar panel but I'm not sure its do-able without it getting bigger.

Eman
2009.04.30, 09:28 PM
I found it!:)
Here is the pic to one of my pit fan, both are exactly the same. If you can see it, check the connector on the right side. I do all my batteries there in cluding my helis Lipos.

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq219/eztuner12/batteryholders001.jpg

Looks good. You could put 3 more fans on there and do multiple things at once. Pretty cool. Gives me an idea...:)

arch2b
2009.04.30, 09:43 PM
check out the awsome modified pit box done by byebye (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23624&highlight=pit+box). programmers made one to i believe. you may even find pictures of mine in there somewhere.

here is my pitbox gallery (http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/showgallery.php?cat=966)

http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/966/medium/IMG_0898.JPG

http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/966/medium/IMG_0896.JPG

i love this d.i.y. stuff, great fun!

eztuner12
2009.04.30, 10:02 PM
Hi arch2b
:eek:WOW!!! Man thatís the most well done pit fan ever.
I am looking for the NASA logo on it. Looks absolutely like rocket science belongings.
It most cool so well perhaps a couple of beers can be cooled with it just a little dry ice and voila.:D
I to do love these threads, where guys shear their ideas and work.
Thanks for showing this brilliant idea.:)
Cheers

eztuner12
2009.04.30, 10:07 PM
Looks good. You could put 3 more fans on there and do multiple things at once. Pretty cool. Gives me an idea...:)

Thx willis I will add two more with blue lights:D:D

arch2b
2009.04.30, 10:11 PM
i love these type of threads too :)

mine was made with recycled pc parts and a couple stops to radio shack. every part can be done by the average person i think. i tried to be very clean about it, make it blend into the cheap toolbox i already had left over. i have found the 12v power ports on the front to be very handy as well for battery chargers, additional 12v fans, etc. i even have a 3v lead to power ipod speakers like byebye ;)

i do like the idea of the portable battery powered fan. easy to travel with for sure.

eztuner12
2009.04.30, 10:15 PM
Hi arch2b
Where can I get those blue lights fans???
I have seen them for cooling notebooks & Laptops PCs, but they donít have the power needed.
Thx!
Cheers

EMU
2009.05.01, 12:56 AM
Richard, there are a few PC sites you can check out... you will find more than enough fans in many sizes at good prices. The larger ones are quiet and move more air over a larger area... look at the CFM and the Db to make your decisions. Most of the fans are rated at 12v. Some come with a pot to lower the voltage/speed.

SVC.com
Newegg.com
ZipZoomFly.com
Jab-tech.com
just to name a few...

Just look for case fans. They come in a variety of colors and patterns. Even UV reactive materials, that you can use a UV cathode and make the glow without the brightness of LEDs.

http://www.jab-tech.com/Akust-Thermometer-II-pr-3003.html a pretty cheap temp sensor/fan speed controller... You should be able to set a min temp, where the fan will not spin below that temp, but will kick on when it is above it. I have never used this model, but I am just judging by what it states on the page. The fan should connect to this, and this to power supply. Would be handy for a charging tray... Possibly just best used for temp disply... This may not be the best choice, but very reasonably priced.

Eman
2009.05.01, 12:59 AM
Wow that thing is awesome. Looks like it could really move some air. Throw in a block of ice and you'd have a small A/C unit. :) Nicely done.

eztuner12
2009.05.01, 02:00 AM
Richard, there are a few PC sites you can check out... you will find more than enough fans in many sizes at good prices. The larger ones are quiet and move more air over a larger area... look at the CFM and the Db to make your decisions. Most of the fans are rated at 12v. Some come with a pot to lower the voltage/speed.

SVC.com
Newegg.com
ZipZoomFly.com
Jab-tech.com
just to name a few...

Just look for case fans. They come in a variety of colors and patterns. Even UV reactive materials, that you can use a UV cathode and make the glow without the brightness of LEDs.

http://www.jab-tech.com/Akust-Thermometer-II-pr-3003.html a pretty cheap temp sensor/fan speed controller... You should be able to set a min temp, where the fan will not spin below that temp, but will kick on when it is above it. I have never used this model, but I am just judging by what it states on the page. The fan should connect to this, and this to power supply. Would be handy for a charging tray... Possibly just best used for temp disply... This may not be the best choice, but very reasonably priced.

Thanks for the info Eugene.
I have found a few very nice, tricolors too, but the RPMs are 2,000 & the most 2,500:rolleyes:. I guess thatís the same RPMs the cooling deck under my notebook PC has, you can hardly feel the air, compared to the one you see on my batteries cooling deck, which a got at Atomicm-o-d-s, that thing blows like a hurricane:eek:, with brushless motor & 12v. Really, keep things absolutely cool:):).

I will still be looking thanks for the addresses too.;)
Cheers

EMU
2009.05.01, 02:52 AM
What is the model number on the fan that you have Richard? You should be able to find the specs on the datasheet, and find a comparable fan.

The fans are rated by CFM. Cubic Feet per Minute. That is the most vital, not RPM. Blade angle, and length matter a lot, especially with the larger fans.

If you are looking for air velocity... look at the Vantec Tornado 92mm fan. I will warn you, it is a loud one... but very high power, with static fins to vector the air towards the center. http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=370813&prodlist=celebros I have a computer with 6 of the 80mm versions... Without a fan controller, the computer is deafening.

eztuner12
2009.05.01, 02:14 PM
Thx for the help and great info Eugene.:)

I have been visiting the sites you provided before and had seen some nice colored ones and some up to 4,000 rpm that lasts 15,000 hours that would be @ 4 years on a 12 hours daily use.

So CFM is the correct measurement on this things, I have noticed the CFM on many of them that donít mention the rpmís. Any idea of how many CFM to 1RPM?

willis @ how many minutes do you get on the 4 AAA in your fan???

Thaxxx.;)
Cheers

arch2b
2009.05.01, 03:04 PM
rpm is pratically irrelevant. it's but one of many factors that determine cfm. there is no a to a comparison. search by voltage, size, cfm and then db if desired as mentioned.

eztuner12
2009.05.01, 03:33 PM
thanks EMU & arch2b
So the higher #s CFM the more air flow?

Cheers

EMU
2009.05.01, 03:36 PM
Richard, CFM is not directly related to RPM. Typically, I look for the fan that has the highest CFM and the lowest RPM. This will usually be the fan that will run more quiet and last longer...

As I stated before, fan blade angle, width and length play an important role in how much air it can move. A fan with low blade angle and narrow blades will not move as much air per RPM.

I have a 120mm Delta (very powerful), that runs over an hour on AAA cells. This is now converted to run off of an old 5v power adapter. So I dont run it off AAAs anymore. Most fans are rated at 12v, but some also have the ratings for 5v or 7v operation so you may be able to find the data for amp draw. The higher the voltage, the more air resistance... so more amp draw.

CFM, is the rating of the volume of air that the fan moves in a minute. cubic feet per minute... If it is rated at 1CFM, that would be 1ft x 1ft x 1ft moved in a minute.

eztuner12
2009.05.01, 04:30 PM
Ok, 47.664 CFM = 1 RPM +/-. CFM=Fan Air Flow. RPM=Fan Speed.
5100 RPM = 107 CFM
4000 RPM = 84 CFM
5700 RPM = 120 CFM

The JMC fan I have is an; 14,4W(Power) / 1.2A(Current) / 51dBA(noise) / 5100RPM(Speed) / 107CFM(Air Flow) / 10.8-13.2Vdc(Voltage)

Cheers

eztuner12
2009.05.01, 05:08 PM
Richard, CFM is not directly related to RPM. Typically, I look for the fan that has the highest CFM and the lowest RPM. This will usually be the fan that will run more quiet and last longer...

As I stated before, fan blade angle, width and length play an important role in how much air it can move. A fan with low blade angle and narrow blades will not move as much air per RPM.

I have a 120mm Delta (very powerful), that runs over an hour on AAA cells. This is now converted to run off of an old 5v power adapter. So I dont run it off AAAs anymore. Most fans are rated at 12v, but some also have the ratings for 5v or 7v operation so you may be able to find the data for amp draw. The higher the voltage, the more air resistance... so more amp draw.

CFM, is the rating of the volume of air that the fan moves in a minute. cubic feet per minute... If it is rated at 1CFM, that would be 1ft x 1ft x 1ft moved in a minute.
Perfect:)
Thx so much for clearing it for me
Cheers

eztuner12
2009.05.01, 05:12 PM
1. 50mm x 50mm 5v fan
2. 1.5mm carbon fiber

Willi.
Can you provide the specs on your fan and how long operation last with the AAAs?
Thx:)
Cheers

Eman
2009.05.01, 09:11 PM
It says DC5V 0.30A I got it out of an old Nyko air cooled xbox controller that broke some years ago. The maker is Xinbuilian. It cools the motor and batteries on my modified car in a few minutes. It has good air flow. Though I couldn't tell you how much air it pushes, I don't imagine its very much. The batteries seem to last a long time. Sorry I couldn't be more specific.

eztuner12
2009.05.01, 09:21 PM
It says DC5V 0.30A I got it out of an old Nyko air cooled xbox controller that broke some years ago. The maker is Xinbuilian. It cools the motor and batteries on my modified car in a few minutes. It has good air flow. Though I couldn't tell you how much air it pushes, I don't imagine its very much. The batteries seem to last a long time. Sorry I couldn't be more specific.

Thanks!:)
I guess the batteries last for a good time, since you are satisfied with it.
Cheers