PDA

View Full Version : Flip Side hardware support requests

pinwc4
2009.05.05, 12:57 PM
Currently the Flip Side Racing software is limited in its hardware support. Here is a list what is supported so far and what has been requested

Supported Lap Counting Hardware

Core Speedway
Kyosho IC Lap Counter Home Edition
I-Lap
Robotronic
GKA9805 (Global KeyAccess UHF EPC G2 RFID reader, not Core/Kyosho compatible)
WanhaRacing (custom hardware not for sale, yet)

In Progress Lap Counting Hardware

Giro-Z

Other Supported Hardware

DLP Relay Board (http://www.dlpdesign.com/usb/ior4.shtml) (Used for countdown lights)

Requested Hardware Support

USB Bit Whacker (http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=762) (This board could be used for a Laser Lap Counter, need the hardware still before proceeding)

Hardware that will not work

DLP Data Aquisition Board (http://www.dlpdesign.com/usb/io8.shtml) (Tried to use this board for laser lap counters but it can not respond fast enough)

In order to determine if I can add support for additional hardware I need someone who has access to the hardware to work with so that I can get various information information from them. Or if possible it would be quicker for me if I could get access to the hardware for a week.

If you have access to the hardware that you would like supported the first step I need done is to capture some of the raw information that lap counter produces. From Windows the way you do this is as follows:

Download Portmon from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896644.aspx
While the lap counter software is NOT RUNNING start the Portman application
In Portmon go to the Computer Menu and select Connect Local
Under the Capture Menu go to Ports and then Select all the COM ports available
Under the Options Menu make sure the Show Time, Show Hex and Clock Time options are selected
Now run the lap counting application and run a short 1 minute race preferably with 2 cars though if it is just 1 person switching between cars that is fine
After the race is complete close the application
Go to the Portmon applcation and go to the File Menu and save the log file
Send me the log file along with the transponder ID's of the cars in the race

mferrini
2009.05.07, 07:09 AM
I can help with the AMB20

pinwc4
2009.05.07, 12:12 PM
I can help with the AMB20

Did you try the CDog4w hardware type and find it does not work with AMB20? If so go ahead and run the Portmon program like I mention in my first post and send me the log data. It should not take much tweaking to make it work with AMB20 if it does not already and that log will give me the details of how it communicates.

Thanks

kalou60
2009.05.13, 11:46 AM
hi
pinwc4 how to listen serial port with portmon, if i use a converter serial->usb, because i have try but nothing :( there are a tips ?

pinwc4
2009.05.14, 05:57 PM
hi
pinwc4 how to listen serial port with portmon, if i use a converter serial->usb, because i have try but nothing :( there are a tips ?

The steps in my first post should have worked, I just tested again. Make sure you select Connect Local in the Computer menu and under the Capture menu go to Ports and select any COM ports in their.

It does not matter if it is a serial->usb adapter Portmon should pick it up.

pixelforce
2009.11.06, 07:02 AM
Hi there,
I have access to IC Tag Lap timer Hardware ... if It helps contact me.
Best regards

pinwc4
2009.11.06, 02:13 PM
Hi there,
I have access to IC Tag Lap timer Hardware ... if It helps contact me.
Best regards

Thanks for the offer of help. I have the Kyosh IC lap counter also and am working on making it compatible. When I release a version of the software that fully supports it I will welcome feedback from people that also have this hardware.

LED
2010.01.04, 11:15 AM
Would you be interested in the robitronic lapcounter ?
We have it ordered. Hoping to have it in the next couple of weeks.

pinwc4
2010.01.04, 03:21 PM
Would you be interested in the robitronic lapcounter ?
We have it ordered. Hoping to have it in the next couple of weeks.

I would be interested, yes. I know very little about that particular hardware. If it shows up as a COM device to the computer then it may be possible to work with it.

LED
2010.01.04, 04:31 PM
I think it isnt any different then other lapcounters out there. Only thing I know for sure is that the transponders have a fixed ID.

I'll get back to you when we have it and have done some experimenting of our own with the com reading.

LED
2010.02.22, 02:18 PM
Hi
I send you a PM

pinwc4
2010.02.22, 04:12 PM
Hi
I send you a PM

Thanks, I emailed you back. I will see what I can figure out with the Robotronic system after you send those logs you collected.

Thanks for the help.

LED
2010.02.23, 09:57 AM
Thanks, I emailed you back. I will see what I can figure out with the Robotronic system after you send those logs you collected.

Thanks for the help.

I didnt get anything ?

pinwc4
2010.02.23, 10:47 AM
I didnt get anything ?

Yeah apparently I sent the email to mini-z. I sent you a PM with my email address.

doug01n
2011.01.05, 12:26 PM
I can help with the trackmate information... I'll try to make the tutorial in the first post tomorrow at our track!

pinwc4
2011.01.05, 03:39 PM
I can help with the trackmate information... I'll try to make the tutorial in the first post tomorrow at our track!

Sounds good, I sent you my email address so you can send me the log file after you go through those steps.

Thanks

rkk
2011.02.20, 07:40 AM
Pinwc4,

I have a trackmate system now as well. Would it help if you had direct access? I certainly wouldn't mind shipping it to you for testing if it would expidite the process. I'm very impressed with your software.

arch2b
2011.02.20, 09:19 AM
i think that would be very benificial, especially now that trakmate in on our forum as well.

pinwc4
2011.02.21, 09:20 AM
Rkk, I had someone from Trackmate contact me to add support. Hopefully I hear from them again. If not I will follow up with you to get support for this system added.

rkk
2011.02.21, 05:23 PM
I think I've been dealing with a gentleman named Dan. Before I found this thread I contacted you on the flipside site about this package. Either way I hope to get your software up and running on this platform quickly. I had much better response than I had anticipated this weekend and sold all but one of my initail stock of transponders.

TheStig
2013.06.04, 06:45 PM
Have you seen the activity on the Cano decoder on RCTech? Can you add support for that?

pinwc4
2013.06.05, 01:29 PM
Have you seen the activity on the Cano decoder on RCTech? Can you add support for that?

I have not heard of that lap counter, no.

Adding support most of the time is pretty easy. Though it depends on the manufacturer, some of them are great like I-Lap who provided all the protocol details for me. Some can take me a bit of time as I figure out the protocol myself. However for some hardware I am not so lucky and the manufacturer will not provide the details I need and has in my opinion bad hardware and a horrible communication protocol like Giro-Z. So it just depends.

Got a link to the companies page, a quick search did not get me any lap counter called the Cano?

TheSteve
2013.06.05, 06:22 PM
http://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics/688671-lap-timing-decoder.html

pinwc4
2013.06.06, 04:55 PM
http://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics/688671-lap-timing-decoder.html

Thanks, I have gotten in touch with him to see if we can work this out.

TheSteve
2013.06.06, 05:10 PM
Looks like post # 201 has details of his protocol.

TheStig
2013.06.06, 06:02 PM
If you don't get any joy let me know and I'll ask him for any details you're missing. I've got a track and the SW set up and I'd like to test it with his system.

pinwc4
2013.06.08, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the info

I have been in touch with Howard and have sent him a build that attempts to add support for the hardware he has developed. He has to add a function to the hardware to support what I have done in this build but hopefully everything will work out.

TheStig
2013.06.08, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the info

I have been in touch with Howard and have sent him a build that attempts to add support for the hardware he has developed. He has to add a function to the hardware to support what I have done in this build but hopefully everything will work out.

Perfect, he should be bringing a decoder around in the next two weeks for me to test. If you have the source code I should be able to debug it live (should there be issues).

rcdemon
2014.04.20, 10:19 PM
hi guys,

Howard tells me CANO decoder is supported, where can i get the version for CANO ?

thanks!

rcdemon
2014.04.22, 05:50 PM
Hi,

Does anyone know how to get Flip Side Racing software to work with Cano Decoder? I assume there is a different build or patch/plugin ?

thanks!

briankstan
2014.04.23, 07:41 AM
on the general config page look at the hardware type pulldown, I didn't see Cano description in there but it might be compatible with one of the other hardware types.

other than that I can't help. Make sure you have the latest build as well.