PDA

View Full Version : MR-02 vs. MR-02LM

-J-
2009.05.12, 06:10 AM
I'm looking into getting a 2wd car. I've been reading up on my choices and I came across the 'LM' series cars. I definitely want to go 2.4ghz, and so the fact this car comes 2.4 ready, with a body (Le Mans styling is perk as well), and without a transmitter is attractive. In my research I've found this:

"The 3L sized long wheelbase chassis mounts the motor 5.5mm lower (than the MM motor case) for an optimized motor mount position. In addition, small diameter wheels and newly designed knuckles lower the chassis height by 1mm and combine with a friction damper to deliver increased stability. The large capacity FET speed control generates breathtaking speed, acceleration and agility"

How do these cars handle compared to there MR-02 counterparts? Is there any other differences I haven't covered? Any other comments?

MillerTime
2009.05.12, 07:03 AM
From what I've seen the biggest difference with the LM 2.4s is their smooth responsiveness. Just about everyone that owns an AM car and has driven my LM has remarked about that. I believe outside of that, both the AM and 2.4 cars can be setup to handle the same. I went with the 2.4 mainly for the benefit of no glitches and frequency conflicts.

Depending on the rules where you plan to race the FET difference might not be a factor - you may need to do FET work either way.

-J-
2009.05.12, 07:09 AM
Thanks for the help. I have a 2.4 ghz MA-010, so I already know about the perks of the ASF system, but I referring mainly to the chassis.

I'm moving back to Charlotte this summer, so I was planning on trying High Speed Hobbies. I've been following your thread about stock rules and was just planning on running a 70T/stock motor as I'm still a new driver, very new driver. :o I'll worry about FETs when I get there.

JuniorWKR
2009.05.12, 07:12 AM
Lm is probally the best handling set up straight outta the box... in my own opinion i believe a true lm class is fantastic... minimal work needed to get the car to perform... we run a 70t lm class at our lhs and it is our most competitive class we have... 1 minor mistake and its straight to the back of the pack... imo the 2.4 lm is a fine purchase... you will not be disapointed... besides the only thing that makes it lm is the rear pod... so if you ever wanna run a different class just change rear pod and rims, tires and your good to go...

-J-
2009.05.12, 07:18 AM
One of my LHS here in Hong Kong has a LM specific class and it's great fun to watch. I'm thinking about taking the plung. Who wants to push me over the edge? ;)

BTW, the knuckles are different as well I believe.

MillerTime, does HSH have a LM class?

JuniorWKR
2009.05.12, 07:21 AM
One of my LHS here in Hong Kong has a LM specific class and it's great fun to watch. I'm thinking about taking the plung. Who wants to push me over the edge? ;)

BTW, the knuckles are different as well I believe.

MillerTime, does HSH have a LM class?

you can run the pn knuckles off the wall and use low down springs and shims to get that low cg... GO FOR IT!!!!! you wont be disapointed....

MillerTime
2009.05.12, 07:31 AM
I think there are more differences than that - for example the driveshaft is longer.. unless you were including that in the comment of just the pod being different. I think the front track width is wider on the LM too but not sure.

The guys at HSH are still working out the details of how to get the LM cars into the racing in a balanced way, so not sure what's going to happen for now. I hope we can find a way to get them into the Pro Stock class since that's the most popular and races every week. My schedule won't allow me to get up there every week so I'm not really interested in racing a class that only runs every 2-3 weeks.

hrdrvr
2009.05.12, 07:37 AM
I agree with Junior in the fact thet the LM is the best 2wd out of the box. Its the only one that comes standard with a DDS and I think that makes all the difference in the world. The wide low bodies help a lot too :D

Ill also agree on the close handling characteristics of the cars when paired with a 70t motor. We just had a LM point series back in february. The winner of the pro calass wasnt decided until the last race, and was decided by one position in that race. 3rd through 5th were all within a point or two of each other too! In the sportsman class there were three people with a legitimate shot at the championship as well, as well as two others that would have been right with the front runners had they not missed too many races.

Our group had just started to grow when we started this point series too, and most of the drivers were all less than 3 months into MiniZ, with the exception of a few of us. Thats got to say a lot for the platform.

hrdrvr
2009.05.12, 07:43 AM
I think there are more differences than that - for example the driveshaft is longer.. unless you were including that in the comment of just the pod being different. I think the front track width is wider on the LM too but not sure.

The guys at HSH are still working out the details of how to get the LM cars into the racing in a balanced way, so not sure what's going to happen for now. I hope we can find a way to get them into the Pro Stock class since that's the most popular and races every week. My schedule won't allow me to get up there every week so I'm not really interested in racing a class that only runs every 2-3 weeks.

They are the same track width up front. The wheel offset will deterine the final width, but the front towers are most definetly the same as any other MR02.

I wish the guys at HS would jump onto the open FET 70t ruling for AM and ASF cars. It would only mean the current AM carswould be allowed to add more FETs, and switch to a 70t motor. That owuld alos put more seperation between the mod and stock cars there, as stock usually turns more laps, which IMO, just isnt right :DD Thats another subject though, and Ill probably have James hating me for speaking my opinion all over the forums, lol.

Until then -J-, I think youd be stuck running your 2.4 LM car in mod, unless the new rules being duscussed give you somewhere else to run it. Maybe you should ask the HSH guys what they think youll be able to run, especially if you are making this purchase to run with them at their shop.

pedrocamp
2009.05.12, 01:51 PM
I think the LM is a fine car to get. My own stock class car at HSH started as a Rothmans 962. We are working to try to balance out the different FET/motor packages.
While I would just like to go to the open board-70T rule for simplicity we do have a few guys with our older stock rules package that would rather not change, which is understandable - "if it's not broke why fix it". If we do not end up with a LM class we will still have a place for you to race within the framework of our stock class. Look forward to meeting you J...

have read a few of your posts at tinyrc-dNaNo

Pedro

Skv012a
2009.05.12, 05:34 PM
Huh, comes w/ DDS? Maybe I should've bought this thing as my 2.4 MR chassis since it costs the same 130 as the bare chassis. Oh, if I buy another MR I'll defenetly grab one of these and part out the body/diff/other stuff I dont really need.

-J-
2009.05.12, 09:47 PM
I think the LM is a fine car to get. My own stock class car at HSH started as a Rothmans 962. We are working to try to balance out the different FET/motor packages.
While I would just like to go to the open board-70T rule for simplicity we do have a few guys with our older stock rules package that would rather not change, which is understandable - "if it's not broke why fix it". If we do not end up with a LM class we will still have a place for you to race within the framework of our stock class. Look forward to meeting you J...

have read a few of your posts at tinyrc-dNaNo

Pedro

I've been following the 'Racing Thursday' thread for the last week, and although it would be nice to just use the stock board until I get a little better, I'm not worried if I have to FET the board to comply with the rules.

If HSH doesn't end up with an LM class, I'll just do what I need to do to comply with the pro stock rules. I'm just glad there's a place I can run.

I look forward to meeting you as well. About the Tiny R/C posts, that could be good or bad. ;)

-J-
2009.05.17, 02:23 AM
Does anyone have experience with all four body styles: the Porsche 962 C KH, the Porsche 962 C LH, the Mazda 787, and the Mazda 787B? Which body handles better? I'd assume the Mazda would handle better because of the lack of a GIANT wing hanging off the rear of the car, but I could be wrong. Sure wouldn't be the first time. ;)

EMU
2009.05.17, 02:50 AM
Both Mazda bodies are the same. It really depends on the track, and how much motor you are using. The Porsche bodies have more rear grip, and run better with modified motors. A little more off throttle steering as the rear wants to swing around more, but less on throttle steering.

The LH seemed to rotate a little better for me than the KH. Kind of puzzled me a little, but with a little work, all three work pretty well. If you use either Porsche, reinforce the front of the body BEFORE driving it. It will typically crack the headlight buckets out on the first medium speed hit.

For larger, high speed tracks, I would choose the Porsche, slower smaller tracks, the Mazda. Although, with the right setups, both could work pretty well. I havent used mine in a while, but plan to pull it out of storage soon... just for kicks.

-J-
2009.05.17, 03:19 AM
Both Mazda bodies are the same. It really depends on the track, and how much motor you are using. The Porsche bodies have more rear grip, and run better with modified motors. A little more off throttle steering as the rear wants to swing around more, but less on throttle steering.

The LH seemed to rotate a little better for me than the KH. Kind of puzzled me a little, but with a little work, all three work pretty well. If you use either Porsche, reinforce the front of the body BEFORE driving it. It will typically crack the headlight buckets out on the first medium speed hit.

For larger, high speed tracks, I would choose the Porsche, slower smaller tracks, the Mazda. Although, with the right setups, both could work pretty well. I havent used mine in a while, but plan to pull it out of storage soon... just for kicks.

Thanks for the help.