akura2
2009.05.16, 03:40 AM
http://hpi-express.img.jugem.jp/20090515_1144785.jpg

http://hpi-express.img.jugem.jp/20090515_1144783.jpg

http://hpi-express.img.jugem.jp/20090515_1144788.jpg

http://hpi-express.img.jugem.jp/20090515_1144874.jpg

EMU
2009.05.16, 03:54 AM
Interesting... although, they should have made a scale to compete with either the Dnano or the Mini-Z... another single make race series... I would love to see a bottom shot. Dont know about the battery choice. :confused:

color01
2009.05.16, 05:39 AM
Hello, HPI 2.4GHz integrated PCB/ESC! Definitely want to look into that...

And I want to take a look at the front suspension too, if it's a real dynamic strut system (NOT likely, but who knows) I will be impressed. The tierods at the very least are worth looking at, anything that small and short has a multitude of uses, not the least as tierods for 1/28 pan cars. :)

The battery and motor choice is fail... WWS and CRT used to have 1/32 pan cars that used AAA batts and 130 motors, those things were quite the rockets (if twitchy ones).

However, HPI has done at least one thing right so far, setting up the "theme" of the line. 1) very nice-looking bodies available for the chassis, 2) RTR goodness, 3) display stand with what looks to be an integrated charge plug (think Mini-Z LIT). Given HPI's standing with the big US distributors, I wouldn't be surprised if these Racing32 cars catch on really well over here.

I think I'll be saving up for at least a set of electronics from this car. :cool:

Zino
2009.05.16, 07:34 AM
Shizuoka Hobby Show 2009 ... that this ... new competitor Mini-Z???

http://hpi-express.img.jugem.jp/20090515_1144788.jpg

http://hpi-express.img.jugem.jp/20090515_1144783.jpg

http://hpi-express.img.jugem.jp/20090515_1144784.jpg

http://hpi-express.img.jugem.jp/20090515_1144874.jpg

http://hpi-express.img.jugem.jp/20090515_1144785.jpg

http://hpi-express.img.jugem.jp/20090515_1144787.jpg

okoye
2009.05.16, 09:31 AM
thats 1:32 scale

arch2b
2009.05.16, 10:33 AM
very nice! i've always liked that scale and it's very unfortunate that this did not happen years ago when 1/32 carpet racers were available. i don't even have mine anymore.

was thier a price given? release date?

i must admit that i will likely get one of these if affordable and available here.

arch2b
2009.05.16, 11:01 AM
pro-s-futaba has more images ;)

very important bit of info
http://pro-s-futaba.co.jp/home/images/stories/2009/Event/SHS2009/DSC01305.jpg

http://pro-s-futaba.co.jp/home/images/stories/2009/Event/SHS2009/DSC01301.jpg

Skv012a
2009.05.16, 11:23 AM
Looks like that H01 is built like a tank. I think that if anything, that chassis could be a nice outdoor "Z". If either are/can become AWD- outdoor drifters.

HaCo
2009.05.16, 12:21 PM
This is like the 1/28th slotcar, different scale in it's class, but body's can be reused for R/C to Slot, this is the other way around. There are countless 1/32 body's (very strong) for slotcars. Now wait and see how flexible this chassis is in wheelbase and width... Good thing the first model is a Skyline R32. If it's build to scale the chassis should be quite narrow... :)

Directly 2.4GHz is just awesome, but what about the price?

bermbuster
2009.05.16, 01:06 PM
HPI makes/made the x mods too so they definitely have the technology....
wish they were closer to 1/27th just to give Kyosho some healthy competition...

arch2b
2009.05.16, 01:17 PM
THREAD (http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31726) started earlier on the subject

marc
2009.05.16, 02:12 PM
Wow, look's great! I had the feeling this would come along eventually after their 1/18 scale Micro car. I like that carbon-fiber optional chassis?
I'm also curious as to price and release date. I'm also very curious with how adjustable their chassis are and if they can actually accomidate a wide range of 1/32 scale slot-car bodies.
Still have my RCP track even though I's got no more RC cars. This look's like it'll be fun!

arch2b
2009.05.16, 03:27 PM
redrc.net has a little write up (http://www.redrc.net/2009/05/hpi-racing-132nd-scale-racers-hb-d8-flux/)...

The Shizuoka show is on this weekend in Japan, and as usual the Japanese companies are out in force showing their new products at their home show. HPI Racing have released a number of new items, the most interesting of which being the new Racing 32 H-01 and H-02 chassis’, which as the name suggests is a new 1/32nd scale racer. The H-02 chassis shown above, is a full race spec version with carbon throughout and is essentially a tiny Cyclone 12X pan car, complete with foam tires. The H-01 is the RTR version of the same car and features lightweight plastics throughout and will come with a beautiful scale body and is supplied with a 2.4Ghz radio system, as well as a charger / workbench. Also new on the same stand from Hot Bodies is the Flux powered version of the World Championship winning D8 buggy. This brushless car is still only a prototype, but from the pictures you can see that it retains the mechanical brake system, has a composite plastic chassis and a forward mounted motor.

HaCo
2009.05.16, 05:16 PM
http://www.hobbymedia.it/img/2009/05/hpi-racing-32-f.jpg
http://www.hobbymedia.it/12592/hpi-racing-32-automodelli-slot-cars-radiocomandati-in-scala-132-shizuoka-hobby-show-2009

HaCo
2009.05.16, 05:17 PM
http://www.hobbymedia.it/img/2009/05/hpi-racing-32-c.jpg

RCPMini-z
2009.05.16, 05:35 PM
HPI makes/made the x mods too so they definitely have the technology....
wish they were closer to 1/27th just to give Kyosho some healthy competition...

HPI didn't manufacture the Xmods, they only distributed them overseas. The HPI Xmods come out of the same factory that RadioShack uses to make their Xmods.

575racer
2009.05.16, 06:28 PM
YES. that volvo estate is awesome. even tho im into 1/10 crawling... if theyre not badly priced i might end up getting a volvo... lol.
edit- is that red thing in the back ground the controller?

arch2b
2009.05.16, 06:29 PM
post #14 looks to have a tx in the background. the other thing looks like a slot car controller

mugler
2009.05.17, 01:54 AM
So is it clear if these bodies will be exchangeable with any of the slotcar bodies like Scaletrix etc?

Donut
2009.05.17, 02:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BLPxcIo0cg&feature=related

-J-
2009.05.17, 02:56 AM
I'm not big on the whole half r/c, half slot car idea. I'm sticking with my Zs. :D

marc
2009.05.17, 05:21 PM
I'm digging the Detamaso Pentera and the classic Z's! Two cars of which Kyosho didn't do for the Z's.
So, I'm guessing the slot-car is like training-wheels, and the RC car is with the training-wheels off? LOL!
I'm wondering what kind of upgrades will be available for the RC car and if the aftermarket companies will handle these. I hope these won't be in the Dnano price range!

pomme de terre
2009.05.17, 09:43 PM
Damn... and about time

Skv012a
2009.05.18, 01:17 AM
Datsuns are in the lineup huh? Perhaps I'll think twice about getting this vs dnano... Slot cars are an abundance and plenty in 1/32 whereas there are hardly any interesting, plastic, affordable 1/43s.

herman
2009.05.18, 03:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BLPxcIo0cg&feature=related

hey donut nice of you to drop by... anything new?

bermbuster
2009.05.18, 06:56 AM
the beauty in these are you can use other 1/32 slotcar bodies....
they make some awesome bodies for 1/32 slots....
the CF version looks just like the 1/12 scale HPI makes just scaled down......
I just hope the prices are in 1/32 scale....:D

Skv012a
2009.05.18, 09:48 AM
I hope they aren't- the smaller, the more expensive usually.

Ed Roberts
2009.05.18, 10:24 AM
I know there is a lot of cool bodies for 1/32 scale but HPI would of hit a home run if they made it a 1/28 to go against the Mini Z in the same class. There is already a market out there for 1/28 scale. All it's missing is some more companies making the products and pushing each other to make thing better. I would rather run a diff. company then Kyosho but as it stands, there just not to many options. Kyosho is loving the fact that no other company is dipping into the 1/28 scale, they just don't have to fight against anyone and they got a hold on the market. This is not good for the comsumer, Kyosho can charge what they want and R&D dept. don't have to work as hard to be the best.

Just look at the 1/8 scale buggy market. In the last 3 to 4 years it went from 3 to 4 companies to over 8 and the products have gotten a lot better. Kyosho used to be king in 8th scale but now they have drop a little because they are over priced and their R&D dept. has not been keeping up with the times like the other companies.

Ok, I'll stop for now. Please don't get me wrong the Mini Z is a great car but just think how much better it could be if there was 3 major companies fighting against each other to be the best. The comsumer would win big time.

HaCo
2009.05.18, 10:25 AM
This really is looking good as you can use 1/32 scale body's on it and it's 2.4GHz.
What I hope for:
- the price is right
- the speed is right, so it becomes a table racer (unlike the dNano!)
- the size is changable: different wheelbase and widths are possible to adapt a slotcar body to it...
- the support is right: tires, maybe some hopups

If I would have this car, I would mount a BMW M3 E30 on it directly right now :D

I want to see a video of the model driving!!!

Skv012a
2009.05.18, 11:29 AM
Ed, I strongly disagree because I think Kyosho should've picked a more common scale instead. I know that its a great marketing strategy, but plenty of people like myself would jump an equivalent RC in a better scale in a flash.

So once again- BIG kudos to HPI for this chassis.

arch2b
2009.05.18, 12:33 PM
a bit late on that arguement... it's been 10 years now since kyosho jumped into 1/28. it's a bit late to say i wish they had used a more common scale.
the fact now is, 1/28 is a proper rc scale. may not be as popular but it's done far better and outlasted than previous 1/32 attempts, 1/24 forays. etc.

i'm sure that the fact they are not competing with kyosho was one of the choices to go 1/32. they, like kyohso have created thier own market for thier own product. it just happens to be a common slot car scale which is fortunate for us. it was the same decision kyosho made, to make themselves a niche to make more money.

these things would have to be xmods price range to really put kyosho in danger and lets just say i'm skeptical that will happen. as skov points out, smaller almost always = more expensive.

it's a bit early to judge the value of these given we know so little. i'm not about to jump on the fan boy band wagon without knowing more about them. until then, i welcome yet another micro scale platform that i hope to own. just a shame the CRT did not stick around long enough to see this happen. hpi could have had some competition...

Skv012a
2009.05.18, 10:53 PM
Now I have a question Arch- did any small lines die off due to the "I have a better, similar scale RC with tons of parts, so why would I want to buy a new kind" notion?

marc
2009.05.18, 11:05 PM
I wouldn't go that far as saying smaller is more expensive. Look at the Team Losi Micro-T. That was awesome, about the same 1/32-? scale size, and it was very reasonably priced. I suspect the HPI model to be just hovering around $100. The fact that it's 1/32 scale isn't all that special. It will be special if the chassis is adjustable enough to accomidate the wide range that 1/32 scale slot-cars have to offer. If the chassis is not adjustable at all, I dont' think it would be very fun to play with.

Skv012a
2009.05.19, 12:09 AM
Thats when you just make a custom one. Their CF chassis looked pretty bare, so there should be no problem modding that 1 to your likes. Since they're planning on essentially making slotcars and RCs under the same body line, I wouldnt worry about compatibility all that much.

I found nice KPGs, 240Zs, Celsors and other 1/32 kits that we would NEVER see on a Z or a dnano, for example. I personally want a RC with selection of my favorite cars, good handling, and cheap bodies so I don't have to worry about them or pick and choose too much. Hopefully this r32(lol) will fit my bill and whoever shares my tastes.

mugler
2009.05.19, 04:57 AM
Hopefully this will pressure Kyosho (but probably not) to finally go with at least an encased servo if not fully modular electronics like these 32s. For me the big turn off of MZs is the integrated servo which offers multitude of problems both at first (need to hot glue pot for optimum performance) and as you use the car (RCP granules gum up the gears reducing performance). Playing with the electronics on MZs is a tedious process even for intermediate micro enthusiasts.

If for nothing else 2 thumbs up to HPI to address the modularity fully. like someone else mentioned before, I think they will be selling a bunch of those 2.4/esc combos, mainly the pancar guys using chassis like GreyScale and such, so probably less MZs with pan bodies for the future.

As far as price goes it will probably be on the lower side rather than high (specially for the plastic chassis) as HPI has adopted a low price of entry for all of it's upcoming models such as their Switch & Formula 10. Even their Cyclone TC is considerably less expensive than any other equivalent car.

Plain performance in the handling department is important also. I hope they've done their homework in that area and not just put together a small car.

doug01n
2009.05.19, 07:25 AM
Well... I really like this one...

I think one of the things that Mini-z could make better is the steering system. I really like using an independent 3 pin micro-servo, and this HPI is in this line. It's a lot more fine tuned than the servo-box of kyosho.

What about the batterys? Look like they're using Li-ion or Lifepo4 batterys.
7.2V or 6.6V with just two cells would be nice. I already buy 4 cells of Lifepo4 batterys for my new Micro-RS4... If there's 3,6cm between the servo and the motor mount, it can handle a pack of Lifepo4 Batterys with 1350mAh.

I'm waiting for the price too...

oldtamiyaphile
2009.05.19, 08:36 AM
i'm sure that the fact they are not competing with kyosho was one of the choices to go 1/32. they, like kyohso have created thier own market for thier own product. it just happens to be a common slot car scale which is fortunate for us. it was the same decision kyosho made, to make themselves a niche to make more money.

Not really, HPI have been making slot cars for about six months now (I think we first saw them at last year's show). It simply makes sence that these bodies are doubled up for an R/C line. The slot cars cost $60, so I don't see the R/C version being much below $150 RTR, but it would be nice to be wrong :rolleyes:

As for why Kyosho went to 1/28, it's my opinion is that they wanted to go small but affordable, and at the time, 1/28 was the smallest practical model they could come up with. A 1/24 actually needs quite a lot more space to run than a Z.

And yes, the Micro Baja is exactly 1/32.

hrdrvr
2009.05.19, 09:02 AM
Allthough I think this is a really trick looking little car, Im with Ed on the fact that if they would have went into direct competition with Kyosho's MiniZ, we would see a lot of development in the 1/28th racing department. With them skipping out to a different scale they will have that market cornered. I know the majority of us are not racers, but thats all I focus on with my Zs anymore. If these can have place on the RCP with Zs, or there is a place to race them that gains more participation than Zs, then Ill be interested. Otherwise, this little gem will end up as a dust collector on a shelf with the rest of my non-raceable or non-competetive RCs. Ive been hoping some one would jump in to compete with bug K, but I guess this isnt my answer.

arch2b
2009.05.19, 01:21 PM
Not really, HPI have been making slot cars for about six months now (I think we first saw them at last year's show). It simply makes sence that these bodies are doubled up for an R/C line. The slot cars cost $60, so I don't see the R/C version being much below $150 RTR, but it would be nice to be wrong :rolleyes:

As for why Kyosho went to 1/28, it's my opinion is that they wanted to go small but affordable, and at the time, 1/28 was the smallest practical model they could come up with. A 1/24 actually needs quite a lot more space to run than a Z.

And yes, the Micro Baja is exactly 1/32.

well, you've still made my arguement for me. instead of competing against kyosho, they choose to stick with a line they already manufacurer ensuring themselves dominance at this scale for the immediate future. i suggested it was but one of the reasons to go 1:32, the other being they already have a line in that scale. still doesn't change the fact that they choose 1:32 for an rc scale vs. making a competing product. instead, they made one that no one else is challenging. back to my original reply...

HaCo
2009.05.21, 04:51 AM
I really wonder how these drive (would like to see a vid) and how sizeable the chassis is? Is there any info on internet about these chassis? I don't find anything on the HPI website.

soulstice
2009.05.21, 08:59 AM
I use to be in the toy biz briefly and the biggest reason Kyosho probably went 1/28 scale is for licensing reasons.

Over 400 autoscale variants have been made to date. If Kyosho went 1/24 or 1/32 they would have had to spend more resources on securing exclusive licensing, especially for premier brands like Ferrari. Starting a new scale like 1/28 10 years back is kind of a work around to get exclusive licensing at a particular scale.

To the same effect, since HPI had already resourced licensing for 1/32 slots, it only makes sense that they get the most bang for their buck by extending that license with an RC version.

ianc
2009.05.21, 01:22 PM
I know these things won't be able to officially race against Mini-Z's, but for club racing, campaigning one against Z's could be a blast!

At 1/32 scale, they're only about 10% smaller than Z's, and Z's have more size variation (depending on what body is used) than that!

They've got to be fast with the smaller size, 130 motor and 2.4 GHz electronics, plus it looks like they come with unequal-length control arms and adjustable tie rods right out of the box. The design has gotta be 10 years newer than the 02, and I'm sure HPI has learned some lessons from Kyosho in that time.

Quality, speed, and availability of aftermarket parts will tell, but if all that stacks up, I'd love to run one! Wonder if it'll work with my EX1 UR...

ianc

benmlee
2009.05.21, 05:16 PM
1/32 does not have the size advantage of Dnano. Size of the car would be similar to a 98mm vs 86mm wheelbase Mini-z. You still need about the same amount of space to run. Size only, it will not compete with Mini-z

Cost wise, 1/32 bodies for slot cars that are nice enough to compete with Mini-z seems to be about $30 or so. Is not that much cheaper than Kyosho. Now, if is at $20 to $25, then now you are talking. I might even jump ship.

Selection wise, slot cars have more bodies than Mini-z. That would appeal to the scale model crowds. But other brand slot car bodies and wheels may not fit. A DeTomaso Pantera will not look "right" with disk rims. Racers may not mind a hacked body and aero rims, but racers wouldn't care much about selection either. Scale crowd cares about selection, but don't want bodies and wheels that don't fit. Need more information here to see if all slot car bodies and wheels fit.

Aftermarket support does not exist. If enough people go to 1/32 scale, the PN, Atomic or somebody would probably make parts for it. But is a chicken and the egg scenario.

My guess is if they sell the RTR kit at a low enough entry cost, many people would buy it, and get a following started. Racers and serious beginners don't mind paying $200 for Kyosho, but racers would not pay that much for a cars that nobody else races. Beginners usually have a $100 barrier for a car that is basically a play thing for now. We know Radio Shack can sell Xmods at $30-$50, which is basically a play thing. So guess the price would have to be between $50 to $100 for it to have a chance of catching on. For sure, if is priced at Kyosho's price, it would be DOA unless they have a larger selection of bodies.

Is just too bad HPI did not make a 1/28 scale to compete with Kyosho. Wish they did that with the same body mount system, then we have real competition. $50 for a body right now is just too much.

ianc
2009.05.21, 05:39 PM
You still need about the same amount of space to run.

Yeah, this is no tabletop racer. But, if the performance is competent, and the racing rules not too stringent, people can race them alongside Z's on their existing RCP tracks.

Kyosho is selling just the 2.4 chassis with no body or Tx for around $130, and if the quality of this kit is good, HPI will have to be charging $175+ for a readyset, but people may very well pay that (that cost would be substantially less if they could use their existing Tx however). I would if the car was high-quality and fast. Then again, I have 7 Mini-Z's and can't really see buying any more...

I agree with your comments RE: aftermarket parts, but if the car is fast enough out of the box, they may develop enough of a following to encourage manufacturers to start producing parts for them.

A lot of people in the thread mention that since the car is not the exact scale of the Mini-Z, it can't be raced against them. Not officially, sure, but a lot of people will still be doing it though. I would.

Hope it takes off. Kyosho needs some competition, even if it is informal and of a slightly different scale...

ianc

Skv012a
2009.05.21, 05:40 PM
Like I said, with Zs any "aftermarket" bodies = 1/24-5 kits which are too weak for racing and some nice ones cost quite a bit themselves. 1/32 has a great selection of kits that are under 10$ that are tougher due to scale. I own 1/32 AE86 and it feels like a kyosho white body, but cost me half of that low price.

So once again, with Zs we're stuck with whatever Kyosho or Iwaver rolls out as far as good bodies for racing/showing off go, but this HPI will tap a selection twice as big no matter how you look at it.

arch2b
2009.05.21, 05:52 PM
i'd hold off a bit... again, your going to run into the scale issue. not all bodies scale exactly based on chassis scale. you may find the hpi chassis scale may not match up well with other manufacturer slot car bodies of the same scale.
you are absolutely correct in that you have a vast catalogue of manufacturers to cheery pick from however just because you can doesn't mean they will fit.

it's the same issue with mini-z, not all 1/28-27 bodies will work on the mini-z due to fudging of the scale in order to get it to fit properly.

we have/had the same problem with the epoch.

benmlee
2009.05.21, 06:59 PM
I agree, just because you have a vast selection of 1/32 scale bodies, does not mean it will fit. More important, does not mean people will buy the car. The trend is towards ready to run. Traxas is doing very well. Tamiya plastic model is dying. If you have to file drill and hack at the body, you will only appeal to a small segment of population that have the skill and patience to do it. Within that group, only the very skilled craftman can make a body fit a chassis as good as Kyosho mini-z. This means no blob of glue stick to hold things together. Also means maching the wheels to the correct offset and pressing bearings into it.
With our instant gratification society, if after spending just an hours on a body, and it does not look perfect, that customer will not be coming back.

color01
2009.05.21, 09:09 PM
They've got to be fast with the smaller size, 130 motor and 2.4 GHz electronics, plus it looks like they come with unequal-length control arms and adjustable tie rods right out of the box. The design has gotta be 10 years newer than the 02, and I'm sure HPI has learned some lessons from Kyosho in that time.
That's no 130-can motor in there... did you see HPI's comparison with the Racing32 vs. a 1/32 slot car? The slot car has a 130; the Racing32 probably has an N30-can motor (Micro-T sized, by the looks of it).

It does indeed appear to have a dynamic strut front end, but we won't know till we see the knuckles. It's very easy to make a fake one that looks real, just look at a Mini-Z F1 from a distance. :eek:

mugler
2009.05.22, 03:26 AM
I noticed the motor being micro-T sized also which is a noteworthy point . Also even though the part count is very low and the design is simple one of the things I would want to find out after release would be just the general quality. The last two HPI entry level on road cars have had serious QC issues in both finished parts & built. These would be the Switch & The Cup racer. Incidentally their both sub par performers to competition for on track performance as well:cool:. So I think I'll wait a while after it comes out to see if it's a worthy purchase and I hope it is. Not happy about Kyosho's paranoid marketing which lead them to full on integrated electronics vs modular which would have been much more user friendly and enjoyable really.

Skv012a
2009.05.22, 12:47 PM
...full on integrated electronics vs modular which would have been much more user friendly and enjoyable really.

I think because this HPI mini uses separate parts it could make for extremely easy custom chassis builds and thus accomodate all available bodies.

Also, Arch, aren't there any 1/32 bodies you'd love to use on a RC or do Zs perferctly satisfy you right now? I'd like to ask everyone else here the same question too.

arch2b
2009.05.22, 01:10 PM
sure there are. however, i've already put well over a year and much money into 1:32 rc's. in the end, i had more fun with the mini-z. i'm not going to jump into a new scale just for bodies i guess is my answer.

bermbuster
2009.05.22, 08:13 PM
I think because this HPI mini uses separate parts it could make for extremely easy custom chassis builds and thus accomodate all available bodies.

Also, Arch, aren't there any 1/32 bodies you'd love to use on a RC or do Zs perferctly satisfy you right now? I'd like to ask everyone else here the same question too.

The z s did satisfy me but the new hand polish and the slipping attention to detail along w the higher prices is making me hungry....

The real thing is how much will they cost in relation to the mini z and will HPI be there in the long haul. I suggest we all go slow and see how things develop. For starters they definitely use a different battery technology and you will need another TX (hopefully just a module)

mugler
2009.05.22, 10:03 PM
I use to be in the toy biz briefly and the biggest reason Kyosho probably went 1/28 scale is for licensing reasons.

Over 400 autoscale variants have been made to date. If Kyosho went 1/24 or 1/32 they would have had to spend more resources on securing exclusive licensing, especially for premier brands like Ferrari. Starting a new scale like 1/28 10 years back is kind of a work around to get exclusive licensing at a particular scale.

To the same effect, since HPI had already resourced licensing for 1/32 slots, it only makes sense that they get the most bang for their buck by extending that license with an RC version.

If true about costs of licensing i n different scales which sounds like it is, then this reasoning solves the scale choice mysteries of the 2 company's for me.

kydawg1
2009.05.22, 10:24 PM
I will take em......when and how much????

Fovea3d
2009.05.22, 10:52 PM

Not totally refuting the licensing theory but here is something I have read about choice of 1/28 scale. Aki Susuki said in an interview years ago "the base concept was to be able to use the model on a dining table, so what is important is the turn radius, a 1/24 scale would have need much more space" in the french "Auto RCMag" (http://www.nanospeeders.com/photos/1-28.jpg)
Also regarding licensing, keep in mind that Kyosho also produces 1/18 and 1/43 static models, not to mention the dNaNo now. I doubt they would have to pay a licence for each scale.
Regarding the HPI I think 1/32 would not be too far from some compact Mini-z cars like the Mini Cooper, Stratos, also the Caprice Taxi was more 1/32 (1/313 to be exact) given its dimensions in real size. I think the HPI and mini-Z may compete in a special class where the MZ would be set to minimal dimensions (O offset, 86mm WB, while the HPI would have extended WB and offset. The bodies would be some compromise between the two scales (compacts or mega big cars) Such a class would clearly become interesting given the technical differences used by the two brands.

EDIT: Small Mini-Z vs Big 1/32 slotcar (http://www.nanospeeders.com/photos/1-28-32.jpg) The Stratos has 86mm WB just like the Torino

-J-
2009.05.22, 11:07 PM
Kyosho does have to pay for licensing for different scales, at least in the dNaNo's case. This is why the Ferrari dNaNos are more than say the Subarus or the Skylines. The licensing cost more to obtain for the Ferraris than the Subarus.

Skv012a
2009.05.23, 12:31 AM
Honestly, why try and combine these with Zs when a good deal of you are getting into Dnanos, as an example? I don't see a problem with trying new scales and IMO they'd only fall if no one ends up giving them a shot.

I think that if slot guys decide to pick these up we'll get a nice boost of fresh meat and everyone will enjoy it.

-J-
2009.05.23, 12:39 AM
Honestly, why try and combine these with Zs

Because unless these take off right after their release date and fast, most people who end up with these won't have anyone to race these with for a year minimum.

soulstice
2009.05.23, 08:09 AM
Not totally refuting the licensing theory but here is something I have read about choice of 1/28 scale. Aki Susuki said in an interview years ago "the base concept was to be able to use the model on a dining table, so what is important is the turn radius, a 1/24 scale would have need much more space" in the french "Auto RCMag" (http://www.nanospeeders.com/photos/1-28.jpg)
Also regarding licensing, keep in mind that Kyosho also produces 1/18 and 1/43 static models, not to mention te dNaNo now. I doubt they would have to pay a licence for each scale.
Regarding the HPI I think 1/32 would not be too far from some compact Mini-z cars like the Mini Cooper, Stratos, also the Caprice Taxi was more 1/32 (1/313 to be exact) given its dimensions in real size. I think the HPI and mini-Z may compete in a special class where the MZ would be set to minimal dimensions (O offset, 86mm WB, while the HPI would have extended WB and offset. The bodies would be some compromise between the two scales (compacts or mega big cars) Such a class would clearly become interessant given the technical differences used by the two brands.

EDIT: Small Mini-Z vs Big 1/32 slotcar (http://www.nanospeeders.com/photos/1-28-32.jpg) The Stratos has 86mm WB just like the Torino

I'm sure the quote you're referencing was definitely a real consideration of theirs but in the end IMO the licensing issue is what drove the selection of 1/28 scale because there are some substantial costs associated with securing licensing. By creating a new scale they don't have to compete with other companies, thus giving them more flexibility and less cost.

And yes they do have to pay licenses for each scale unless it's a blanket contract that gives them freedom to produce whatever they want.

It depends on the licensor, but contracts can be for one scale, or a number of scales together. It can be exclusive worldwide, or to a particular region, or a particular country. The terms are usually limited to a certain number of years. And type of application plays into it too, like is it a static model or an RC.

Ferrari's licensing costs are some of the highest in the biz because it's also one of the most coveted. If you are familiar with video game series Gran Turismo, you may remember that for a long time, they didn't have any Ferraris. This is because another company had secured a multi-year, worldwide, exclusive license on the brand for use in video games. It wasn't until that license was up for review that Sony was able to make a bid to gain the license and start using ferraris in their game.

Skv012a
2009.05.23, 11:45 AM
Because unless these take off right after their release date and fast, most people who end up with these won't have anyone to race these with for a year minimum.

I feel its the same as Dnanos right now, but a good deal of you are indeed stocking up on them. They are taking off from the looks of it and they're really a black sheep as far as RC scales go currently.

benmlee
2009.05.23, 12:24 PM
Aki Susuki said in an interview years ago "the base concept was to be able to use the model on a dining table, so what is important is the turn radius, a 1/24 scale would have need much more space" in the french "Auto RCMag" (http://www.nanospeeders.com/photos/1-28.jpg)
Small Mini-Z vs Big 1/32 slotcar (http://www.nanospeeders.com/photos/1-28-32.jpg) The Stratos has 86mm WB just like the Torino

Interesting that in the same article, he mentioned they sold 500,000 mini-z in the first 5 years. That means there are about a million mini-z out there currently. That is quite a few mini-z. Wonder if there is more of that article out there.
As far as the scale goes, I don't think anyone knows what exactly are in those contracts. They may be limited to the scales, but I don't think each manufacture is competing with another. There is nothing that say Ferarri can't have unlimited number of license for 1/24 scale. Bottom line is just how much money they think they can make. If Kyosho can sell 100 million Enzo, I am sure Ferarri will be willing to grant Kyosho exclusive rights to the Enzo for all scales in the next go around, and shut everybody out. But at couple thousands, Kyosho is probably a small fish.

Fovea3d
2009.05.23, 12:38 PM
Interesting that in the same article, he mentioned they sold 500,000 mini-z in the first 5 years. That means there are about a million mini-z out there currently. That is quite a few mini-z. Wonder if there is more of that article out there.

Keep in mind that this is an old interview of the Kyosho chairman (early 2004).
Here (http://www.nanospeeders.com/photos/autorcm.jpg) is the full article. There is rather interesting info, he his mentioning a mini-mini-z long before the release of the Lit. Sorry for being OT.

HaCo
2009.05.24, 06:19 AM
Hey guys,
Just was looking around on HPI blog to get some extra info...

So, this is a slottrack at the HPI booth...
http://hpi-express.img.jugem.jp/20090514_1141682.jpg

And then suddenly...
http://hpi-express.img.jugem.jp/20090514_1141683.jpg

Why did nobody take a video of it!!!!! ;)

HaCo
2009.05.24, 06:23 AM
Ok, here is the source of the pics:
- http://hpi-express.jugem.jp/?day=20090512 ==> With body lineup at bottom
- http://hpi-express.jugem.jp/?day=20090514 ==> With pics of tracks
- http://hpi-express.com/ ==> Main link to blog
:cool:

soulstice
2009.05.24, 07:59 AM
Hey guys,
Just was looking around on HPI blog to get some extra info...

So, this is a slottrack at the HPI booth...
http://hpi-express.img.jugem.jp/20090514_1141682.jpg

And then suddenly...
http://hpi-express.img.jugem.jp/20090514_1141683.jpg

Why did nobody take a video of it!!!!! ;)

Brilliant! Now that's what I'm talking about. I wonder if the track can be rearranged.

HaCo
2009.05.24, 02:52 PM
Concerning the price, there's a pricetag here:
http://blog-imgs-41.fc2.com/r/a/j/rajitensanda/2009051620542540a.jpg
17800JPY = 187USD = 134EUR. I hope that is RTR.

arch2b
2009.05.24, 03:13 PM
:eek: and we thought the dnano was expensive... if a full rtr, it's only $43+/- cheaper than the dnano with tx/charger.

EMU
2009.05.24, 03:17 PM
I wouldnt say that is very expensive for an RTR. Look at the price for the new MA010 RTRs. Over $200, for AM :eek:

arch2b
2009.05.24, 03:22 PM
good point. nice thing i don't ever have to buy an rtr anymore.

yet another things that bugs me about this is i'm sure it's not he same 2.4 as kyosho uses meaning your tied to another tx or module.

ianc
2009.05.24, 03:44 PM
Hmm... I also wouldn't say $187 was particularly expensive for an RTR. That means we're probably looking at ~$100 for a bare chassis?

I was sure that was a 130 class motor, but looking more closely at some of the images that have become available, I'm ready to agree that it's not.

My RC experience is limited to Mini-Z's, so I don't know how powerful those smaller motors are, but if these aren't in the same ballpark speedwise as a Z, it will be a disappointment to me, being something of a speed freak.

If the electronics will take it, perhaps someone can make a conversion motor mount to take a 130? :)

Still worth keeping an eye out for...

doug01n
2009.05.24, 04:14 PM
I'm steel thinking about the batteries..... I don't think 4AAA will fit on this chassis...

HaCo
2009.05.24, 04:39 PM
This was posted by arch on the sister forum...
http://blog-imgs-41.fc2.com/r/a/j/rajitensanda/2009051620515603b.jpg
http://www.tinyrc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=205935#post205935
http://www.tinyrc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=205935#post205935

To be honest I wish this had come way before Mini-Z. Still I don't know if I will buy and do a switch...

arch2b
2009.05.24, 04:52 PM
so even if the chassis is $100+/-, it's still only slightly cheaper than the dnano and a mini-z chassis. i agree, still definately worth looking into.

Skv012a
2009.05.24, 11:22 PM
Nice new set of pix, defenetly got me drooling even more.

herman
2009.05.25, 04:46 AM
Keep in mind that this is an old interview of the Kyosho chairman (early 2004).
Here is the full article. There is rather interesting info, he his mentioning a mini-mini-z long before the release of the Lit. Sorry for being OT.
thanks for the article... now if i can only read french... :D
translation please???

Fovea3d
2009.05.25, 06:42 AM
Brilliant! Now that's what I'm talking about. I wonder if the track can be rearranged.
This is probably a carpet layer that can be pulled out eventually.

Interesting that at 1/32 scale there is now direct competition between slot car and RC. Generally when you mention mini-RC in a slot car forum people get mad or don't want to hear about ;) It is easy to understand, given the work and investments put in the track itself (routed tracks, etc). I wonder who wins on the HPI track when comparing slot and RC timings.

Fovea3d
2009.05.25, 06:46 AM
thanks for the article... now if i can only read french... :D
translation please???

Would do it. Well if I only had time :rolleyes:

Edit: I took the time. Sorry, for the harsh translation (http://www.nanospeeders.com/mini6z/akisuzuki.htm)

soulstice
2009.05.25, 09:19 AM

Edit: I took the time. Sorry, for the harsh translation (http://www.nanospeeders.com/mini6z/akisuzuki.htm)

Hey Fovea3D,

Thanks for the translation. Very informative. Learned a few things as well.

I wonder what there sales of just autoscales are. I took the half million number to just represent readysets but it's not clear.

Fovea3d
2009.05.25, 10:22 AM
Hey Fovea3D,

Thanks for the translation. Very informative. Learned a few things as well.

I wonder what there sales of just autoscales are. I took the half million number to just represent readysets but it's not clear.

Its not clear in the article. I guess he is mentioning readysets as this was the only way you could buy a chassis. Today (5 years after the article was written) we must have past the million by far.

HaCo
2009.05.25, 01:31 PM
so even if the chassis is $100+/-, it's still only slightly cheaper than the dnano and a mini-z chassis. i agree, still definately worth looking into.

Now I see you talking arch ;)

herman
2009.05.26, 01:07 AM

thanks very mucho... the article was very informative... :D

(i.e. ''In Japan, disposable batteries are mandatory during the finales. The cars are a little slower but accessible to a wide number of pilots and only the best drivers win.'')

even the batteries are 'regulated'... but makes sense though...

mugler
2009.05.26, 02:46 AM

You are the man! Merci beaucoup for the translation.

I always wanted a front drive mini-z and looks like it's in the plans according to the comments from the article. can't wait for that one!

Hey everyone don't miss the link at the bottom of the page showing the factory production line, very cool.

mugler
2009.05.26, 03:04 AM

I wonder if those 2 closely placed holes in the middle front of the chassis for both the plastic & carbon versions is for installation of the slot car rail guide? Dual purpose rc/slot car as an option?

Also the carpet and the slot car track are the same except for the carpet. This may be aimed at encouraging shops to place one of these at their store vs the Kyosho tables since this will sell & race both RCs & slot cars vs just RCs...just thinking out loud.

Skv012a
2009.05.26, 03:17 AM
Mug, Im with you there. These are aiming to capture 2 audiences at once and intertwine the 2 hobbies that could prove extremely successful. I'd even say, make carpet runways overlay slot track for quick conversions.

herman
2009.05.26, 05:25 AM
I always wanted a front drive mini-z
just for fun i disengaged the rear wheels of the awd, in effect making the awd a fwd... well... lets just say it was fun, but not fun enough to have kept it that way... maybe some other guys have their own views...

HaCo
2009.05.26, 12:44 PM

I wonder if those 2 closely placed holes in the middle front of the chassis for both the plastic & carbon versions is for installation of the slot car rail guide? Dual purpose rc/slot car as an option?

Also the carpet and the slot car track are the same except for the carpet. This may be aimed at encouraging shops to place one of these at their store vs the Kyosho tables since this will sell & race both RCs & slot cars vs just RCs...just thinking out loud.

Not at all I think. Both chassis are completely different. The motor of an Mini R/C is not suited for slotcar racing: 4.8V vs 12-18V is a big different.

This was posted on the first page:

imxlr8ed
2009.05.26, 01:35 PM
Very cool, and I'll be the first to say... if 10 racers show up at my house with these to run on my track, I'll be buying one too. I was drawn to the Zs because of the possibilities (indoor, anytime), but these new smaller scales obviously have that ability as well. If enough people want to race them... I'll be there.

I do wish they could have gone 1/28th though, it would have been awesome to see manufacturers lock horns at a smaller scale for once!

Skv012a
2009.05.26, 04:40 PM
I do wish they could have gone 1/28th though, it would have been awesome to see manufacturers lock horns at a smaller scale for once!

I wish Kyosho fought for licenses and went 1/32 or something common way back. If HPI competes w/ Zs it may be finished before it even starts, so I agree there with the rest who argued this point. RC racing isn't all about straight-up race versions of every overrated car, so I really want to see some real variety.

mugler
2009.05.26, 10:27 PM
I'd even say, make carpet runways overlay slot track for quick conversions.

That's exactly what I meant to infer they'd done at the show even looks like!

Regarding the scale issue, Aki Suzuki addresses that point in the translated article head on and here it is : "The Mini-z is a scale by itself. Toy makers have developed their own universes in the past, and so we would like to establish a "Mini-z size world", separated from any other scale, not using established norms."

mugler
2009.05.26, 10:34 PM
Not at all I think. Both chassis are completely different. The motor of an Mini R/C is not suited for slotcar racing: 4.8V vs 12-18V is a big different.

This was posted on the first page:

If it is dual purpose then the RC cars will be racing other RC cars using their own on board battery power. The pin guide would serve just to hold them on to the track. incidentally about 10 years back there was a toy slot car that came up with RC steering...I don't follow toys nor slot cars that much but they may still be out there. Not saying HPI is heading towards that direction but the possibilities are there based on what can be deduced from the pics so far & also still the matter of what those unused screw holes are for?

Fovea3d
2009.05.26, 10:49 PM
For me it is clear on the picture that they are showing two different chassis for 2 different purposes, slot racing and RC. Also on the slot chassis the guide is located closer to the front end while the two screws on the RC chassis are lined with the front axle wich is an unusual location for a slot guide. Last, if there were holes to attach a guide, where would the wires go?
I would say when you can finally get rid of the slots with a RC car, why would you still use a pin guide?

Pierro
2009.05.27, 03:12 AM
Hello!

A little info about slot VS mini-z.

PN has a 1/28th slot chassis that use mini-z bodies. We race near a slot track and some of them buy a PN chassis only to get our beautiful mini-z bodies on the track.

About the track covering with carpet, I would assume that it is a good idea for a leasure slot track. But on a race slot track, the grip is also given by the state of the track and so, a little dirt on it and all cars will slip for a while before the track recover it's full properties.

Anyway, I'll be curious about this new HPI chassis. And as they make the R32 that won the 24h of francorchamps in 91 it makes even more interrested!:D

HaCo
2009.05.27, 11:56 AM
If Pierro is who I think he is, they really have a dream location: big and nice RCP track and big and nice slottrack, with big shop just underneath it. :cool:

herman
2009.05.28, 12:01 AM
hmm... pierro reveal yourself and post some pics of the track... :D

Pierro
2009.05.28, 03:14 AM
Mmmh yes I'm the one you think Haco!

And for Herman, here is the link to the post I just made for our club.
http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=349334#post349334

Enjoy. :)

herman
2009.06.02, 04:57 AM
saw the track... it's huge... :D thanks for the info

deloreanaka8
2009.07.11, 02:05 AM
I actually like the idea of small scale pancars, I even have imagined a Dnano based one.
The scale for this HPI car might bring them a new market, but nowdays it's all about looks and rtr.
I might consider getting one of these but I gotta sell my Micro RS4 first, as it never had any competition where I live before the M18 from Xray came along.

For a dream body, give me a stock Delorean HPI! (no bttf looks, plz) :D

B-main
2009.07.11, 02:27 AM
Allthough I think this is a really trick looking little car, Im with Ed on the fact that if they would have went into direct competition with Kyosho's MiniZ, we would see a lot of development in the 1/28th racing department. With them skipping out to a different scale they will have that market cornered. I know the majority of us are not racers, but thats all I focus on with my Zs anymore. If these can have place on the RCP with Zs, or there is a place to race them that gains more participation than Zs, then Ill be interested. Otherwise, this little gem will end up as a dust collector on a shelf with the rest of my non-raceable or non-competetive RCs. Ive been hoping some one would jump in to compete with bug K, but I guess this isnt my answer.

i triple that

marc
2009.07.11, 03:04 PM
I actually like the idea of small scale pancars, I even have imagined a Dnano based one.
The scale for this HPI car might bring them a new market, but nowdays it's all about looks and rtr.
I might consider getting one of these but I gotta sell my Micro RS4 first, as it never had any competition where I live before the M18 from Xray came along.

For a dream body, give me a stock Delorean HPI! (no bttf looks, plz) :D

I too have thought of a Dnano pancar, but I think due to its size, it would be too complex to make successful. With the electronics, and battery, it would almost have to be a triple decker pancar chassis. The deck's would have to be very thin C/F, and I'm not sure if one could be made to accommodate the bodies.

Davey G
2009.08.04, 04:08 PM
Did these end up making it to market yet? Either in Japan or US??

Skv012a
2009.08.05, 03:07 AM
I was wondering the same thing, where are these beauties? I NEED that S30Z...

kydawg1
2009.08.20, 09:44 PM
Yep, it would be good to learn something about these guys soon.....

herman
2009.12.09, 05:27 AM
any news on this as to when it will be out?

will3kgt
2009.12.11, 11:52 PM
I too have been wondering about these. It's almost Christmas.
I think they dropped the ball.

kydawg1
2009.12.13, 09:13 PM
I too have been wondering about these. It's almost Christmas.
I think they dropped the ball.

It was speculation that there was even a ball to drop in the first place.

mugler
2009.12.14, 05:51 PM
Not saying its' the case at all, just a trip down the memory lane...remember yokomo sonic about a decade ago. looked pretty good, there was some promo shots and media then disappeared into thin air...hope it's not going to be the case with HPI, AGAIN not saying it is. Looking forward to release fingers crossed.

Skv012a
2009.12.18, 07:16 PM
Not to mention Mr-03's appearance totally overshadowed these guys. I'm still craving that 240Z and ZG.

ianc
2009.12.19, 12:17 AM
I gave up on waiting and just pulled the trigger on one of these today. Whaddya gonna do? ;-)

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28717&d=1261203793

http://www.hpiracing.com/kitinfo/100594/

ianc

Edited to say: About $200 without electronics.

blt456
2009.12.19, 01:26 AM
^ This was about the 1/32 cup racers not the larger scale but whatever ... :p

Skv012a
2009.12.19, 11:15 AM
While we're off topic, so reading that that cup racer line is smaller and in-between others, how does that reflect the shells you can use on them? Very limited or not at all?

ianc
2009.12.19, 01:21 PM
how does that reflect the shells you can use on them? Very limited or not at all?

Apparently the selection is pretty big. They're Lexan, so any Lexan body with a wheelbase of 210 or 225 mm will fit...

ianc

bermbuster
2009.12.24, 11:51 AM
Apparently the selection is pretty big. They're Lexan, so any Lexan body with a wheelbase of 210 or 225 mm will fit...

ianc

that equates to bodies for the tamiya 1/10 minis and the older HPI MiniRS4 and the older Ofna colts. There is also the ABC bodies too....:cool:

marc
2009.12.24, 01:40 PM
Have these been released yet?

bermbuster
2009.12.24, 03:32 PM
Have these been released yet?

the 1/32 scales.....who knows

ianc
2009.12.24, 06:19 PM
that equates to bodies for the tamiya 1/10 minis and the older HPI MiniRS4 and the older Ofna colts. There is also the ABC bodies too....

Yep, pretty much any Mini class body will work. But the 4 bodies HPI offers right now are sweet!

I have been building this thing over the break, and so far it is just a gem. The production quality, documentation, and fit and finish are superb! Lots of metal parts and even a bag of spares!

Just need to get the electronics figured out now. Would like to get a transmitter module and use my existing EX1-UR. Any suggestions for a 540 motor? If I opt to go brushless, can brushed motors still be used with a brushless ESC?

ianc

bermbuster
2009.12.24, 07:06 PM
Yep, pretty much any Mini class body will work. But the 4 bodies HPI offers right now are sweet!

I have been building this thing over the break, and so far it is just a gem. The production quality, documentation, and fit and finish are superb! Lots of metal parts and even a bag of spares!

Just need to get the electronics figured out now. Would like to get a transmitter module and use my existing EX1-UR. Any suggestions for a 540 motor? If I opt to go brushless, can brushed motors still be used with a brushless ESC?

ianc

I have the spektrum module for my EX-1. I use the really small spektrum 3500 rx s....
as far as 540 motors depending if you are going to race it will determine which one to get. HPI has a spec motor or you can use a 27t stock.( Epic X or Trinity monster HP are good choices) Some BL speedos can do either brushed or BL motors. I have the 240z....:D

ianc
2009.12.24, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the info Berm! How are you liking the car so far? Raced it?

ianc

bermbuster
2009.12.24, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the info Berm! How are you liking the car so far? Raced it?

ianc

I really enjoyed building it too....I havent raced it yet but I will be.
check out www.exotekracing.com for a really sweet CF chassis for the cup racer.....I didnt get the chassis yet but it it is on my list.....

ianc
2009.12.27, 11:51 PM
Hi Berm,

I'm looking at those Spektrum components - they look pretty sweet so I might have to go that route. How did you go on the ESC, and do you like it? I see Castle Creations has a brushless ESC for about $75, but there are some insanely expensive ones out there as well...

ianc

bermbuster
2009.12.28, 06:03 AM
Hi Berm,

I'm looking at those Spektrum components - they look pretty sweet so I might have to go that route. How did you go on the ESC, and do you like it? I see Castle Creations has a brushless ESC for about $75, but there are some insanely expensive ones out there as well...

ianc

right now I have an older LRP quantum(very small footprint) w a trinity monster stock motor.
I also have a Novak XBR brushless w a 13.5 I may drop in.

I hate to see you spend money twice....if you are going to race it check out the track and see what they allow. You can get the Castle BL Sidewinder 1/10 for $70 but it only does sensorless BL most racing venues dont allow it.
but the sidewinder does brushed motors as well.....Let me know what you choose....

ianc
2009.12.28, 04:55 PM
You can get the Castle BL Sidewinder 1/10 for $70 but it only does sensorless BL most racing venues dont allow it.
but the sidewinder does brushed motors as well.....Let me know what you choose....

I'm such a n00b at separate electronics packages, I don't even know the difference between sensored and sensorless! This is my first 1/10th car. I'm gonna have to go find some FAQ somewhere and try to get this figured out.

There is one place about 5 miles from here that I may be able to race at, but you're right, I should give them a call and try to find out what's allowed. I guess mostly I was thinking of bashing it around parking lots with a friend of mine, but I should think about it more now that I see how much cash the electronics are going to cost. I'm definitely in on the Spektrum Tx Module, but not sure what Spektrum Rx to get yet. I like the really small footprint of the 3500 RS X you mentioned...

Better do some reading about ESC's as well. I like the non-maint idea of BL, but I understand some places have Tamiya silver or black can spec races and it would be nice to run one of those as well...

Thanks again for the info and I'll keep you posted...

ianc

bermbuster
2009.12.28, 07:08 PM
Thanks again for the info and I'll keep you posted...

ianc

If they allow 17.5 bl this is a great package. You can get it as a 13.5 or an 8.5 too....

Novak Havoc (sight didnt allow link) retails for $150

the difference between sensored and non is closed loop vs open loop.
which means the sensor gives feedback saying im turning slow give me more voltage etc.... open loop relies on software algorythms(sp) to ensure proper speed/voltage. Today both systems work really well especially a castle creations(non sensored). What kills us as racers is ROAR doesnt recognize the sensorless systems as the motors are not sized or technically regulated. So most racing venues dont allow them. If you plan on bashing they give you an awesome bang for the buck....
the thing to remember is most sensored systems can only utilize a 2 cell lipo while the non sensored can do 3 cell.....
racing doesnt allow 3 cell but stupid fast bashing does.....:cool:
hope this helps....

Fovea3d
2009.12.28, 07:41 PM
any news on this as to when it will be out?

It looks like the 1/32 slotcar version is now available.
HPI (http://www.hpieurope.com/news.php?lang=en&issue=2009110501)
If this is the same body quality they will use for the RC version this is great.

herman
2009.12.29, 10:53 PM
thanks for the info... fovea3d...
looks like they've got a driver in there (right hand drive... too :D)... detail looks pretty good as well... wonder what other cars they've got lined up...

http://www.hpieurope.com/graphics/news/2009110501/2009110501_1.jpg

arch2b
2010.01.03, 11:14 AM
HaCo has pointed out that these are now on the jpn website (http://www.hpiracing.co.jp/contents/lineup/newoption/1001a.html)!

New Products PDF Here (http://www.hpiracing.co.jp/contents/newproducts/pdf/newproducts_1001.pdf)

color01
2010.01.03, 04:24 PM
Looks like legitimiate dynamic strut suspension? :eek:

http://www.hpiracing.co.jp/parts/w_103651_04.jpg

I would love very much to not be disappointed here. Wonder if they cheaped out on it (probably).

Skv012a
2010.01.03, 05:22 PM
Now whats the price tag gonna be and when is that S30Z body coming.

Team Lotus
2010.02.01, 11:30 AM
Couple of things concerning the HPI 1/32 rc car.

First, if it really is around $187 for the RTR that is too much for any car that small here in the US. The price should be in the $100 range, $150 at the most RTR even with 2.4ghz.

Also, I know the answer before I even ask the question; but what is it with Japan and that 1990's Skyline body?!! It is so dated! I know, I know; in Japan that car is as popular as the Mustang, Camaro, Corvette are here! which makes me wonder if only Japan is going to get this car.

I do hope they come out with some cooler bodies than that!

But, I'm probably putting the cart before the horse as they have'nt even said whether we here in the USA will even get this car or not; wish they'd stop playing games and just tell us already. If we do get it they should start with that 240Z body in the background or maybe some other bodies that would be more popular here in the USA; in other words, cater to the market over here by appealing to our likes. Let the Japanese market have all the old Skylines they want, give us something else!

herman
2010.02.05, 02:31 AM
more pics...
http://www.hpiracing.co.jp/parts/w_103651_02.jpg

http://www.hpiracing.co.jp/parts/w_103651_03.jpg

from the google translation (http://translate.google.com.ph/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hpiracing.co.jp%2Fcon tents%2Flineup%2Fnewoption%2F1001.html&sl=ja&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8)...
2010年2月発売予定。 2010 February will be available in September.
now what does that mean?

Lorents
2010.02.08, 03:11 AM
Does anybody know what kind of 2.4ghz HPI will use on the RTR?
I would definately get one if they use Spektrum DSS :)

herman
2010.02.09, 03:15 AM
picture... care of mini-z.ru
http://www.mini-z.ru/wp-content/gallery/2010/02/2010-02-07/hpi_003.jpg

Skv012a
2010.02.09, 01:28 PM
Nice. As soon as word gets out that Datsun is out I'll definitely grab one of these + some 1/32 model kits :)

Lorents
2010.02.28, 02:39 PM
Almost there...

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=HPI103634

Skv012a
2010.02.28, 06:26 PM
Almost there...

Thats quite affordable too. Dnano, I can safely forget you so and start buying all those cheap 1/32 model kits :)

Skv012a
2010.02.28, 06:28 PM
from the google translation (http://translate.google.com.ph/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hpiracing.co.jp%2Fcon tents%2Flineup%2Fnewoption%2F1001.html&sl=ja&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8)...

now what does that mean?

http://translation.babylon.com/Japanese > means will be released in feb 2010...

arch2b
2010.02.28, 08:26 PM
horizon hobby has these listed with a March date which is in line with the normal 1 month lapse in anything hitting our shores.

$119 with transmitter :)

herman
2010.03.01, 01:44 AM
great news... :D
wonder how this will affect dnano sales...
also wondering if dnano's selling price will finally be discounted...

mugler
2010.03.01, 02:26 AM
anyone seen videos of these puppies running on a track yet?

doug01n
2010.03.01, 01:22 PM
I couldn't find the HPI 1/32 at Horizon... Does someone have the link for it? Thanks!

arch2b
2010.03.01, 01:31 PM
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=HPI103634

it could kill them or it could do nothing. it's not so much about price but more about what is done with them. if nothing, they will fade away. without a reason to use them, who's going to buy them, even at $120. take HT USA, they don't seem to know what to do with dnano for the most part. a few shops are doing well thanks to proactive leaders. the rest twiddle their thumbs watching it die a slow death.

there has to be a compelling reason to own these in my opinion. i'll have one or more for home fun but how long does that last for the average person?

HPI needs to do something with the line, or we the people need to do something with them or they too will end up a curiostity.

we still don't have a public form of hfay for dnano... leaving dnano to HT USA is a recepie for disaster that we all see coming. i doubt horizon is going to do anything with them.

even xmods had their own racing series there for awhile in which they did very well. almost all of us had an xmod at some point.

hilldebrandt
2010.03.01, 03:19 PM
Arch, that link doesn't work for some reason.

This link works......

Skv012a
2010.03.02, 06:28 PM
And I saved up enough for one of these puppies, so whether they're out here...

HaCo
2010.03.06, 07:28 AM
But why did they not put a LiPo inside?

Skv012a
2010.03.06, 01:51 PM
Is it necessary? I think cheaper and safer is better and if these aren't targeted solely at us hobbyists, regular nimhs are probably a better choice(or cheaper to manufacture?). I'm sure converting it might not be that hard, and perhaps converting it to AA/AAAs.

HaCo
2010.03.25, 02:19 PM
Mid April it says right now... pff.

HaCo
2010.05.14, 02:25 AM
Any news on the car from the Japan Hobby Show? Please post pics if you find any.

RCPMini-z
2010.05.14, 09:36 PM
The fist production run arrived in the USA in March. Unfortunately they arrived with some small electronics issues.. The bugs should be worked out soon and hopefully we will be testing shortly.

arch2b
2010.05.14, 09:41 PM
do you know what they did with the initial batch shipped?

mugler
2010.05.15, 07:52 PM
do you know what they did with the initial batch shipped?

That's what I'd like to know too...I hope they're on their way back to manufacturer for revisions, would hate to end up with one of the duds.

RCPMini-z
2010.05.16, 02:19 AM
That's what I'd like to know too...I hope they're on their way back to manufacturer for revisions, would hate to end up with one of the duds.

HPI is not going to sell the cars that have issues, until they are fixed.

herman
2010.05.16, 11:46 PM
anybody know if they were featured in the 2010 shizuoka hobby show?

herman
2010.05.17, 09:40 PM
hmm... video on youtube... :D

hpi rs32 part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIv-I4BOkCY)
hpi rs32 part 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0THZ1zdQxsM)

wish they had a video of it running at least...

HaCo
2010.05.19, 12:09 PM
hmm... video on youtube... :D

hpi rs32 part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIv-I4BOkCY)
hpi rs32 part 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0THZ1zdQxsM)

wish they had a video of it running at least...

Nice, thanks man!

herman
2010.05.20, 02:42 AM
added info... i emailed the guy who posted the video for more info, and he responded...

the hpi crew at shizuoka said it 'll be at the market by the july 2010.but it's not a official comment so.we'll just have to wait for the release. rs32's cost would be around 19740 japanese yen.but it will be much chipper when it's released i guess. - ys kim

Roger
2010.05.21, 08:03 PM
Goodluck HPI !! From the looks of it, it doesn't look promising. But, I give them props for at least trying.

boohoo
2010.07.29, 01:11 PM
they seem to be selling them as slot car body`s i found a few on ebayi

item no 310236924301

hrdrvr
2010.07.29, 01:17 PM
they seem to be selling them as slot car body`s i found a few on ebayi

item no 310236924301

That is a slot car. Have you seen the 1/32nd RCs?

boohoo
2010.07.29, 01:59 PM
That is a slot car. Have you seen the 1/32nd RCs?

thats what i said they are slotcar. but they are basicly the same as the rc versions from what ive seen

soulstice
2010.10.11, 12:07 AM
anyone know of any developments on this.

I'm not so much interested in the car as I am in the potential reversible track it may use.

Skv012a
2010.10.12, 12:19 PM
I was stoked about these because of the promised 240Z bodies, but R246 beat the whole HPI release and now I personally don't see a point in dropping 150$ on a new RC when my old ones have the desired body for just 33$.

Fovea3d
2010.10.12, 12:43 PM
I am waiting for this chassis for adaptations of 1/32 slotcar bodies.
There is a huge selection of slotcar bodies, classic and new, a lot of them never made for the Mini-z. These slotcar bodies are tough and made to be raced contrary to 1/24 model kits used for mini-z adaptations. The most recent bodies (SCX, Carrera, Fly, Slot It, AutoArt) are just as good looking as autoscales. Example (http://www.farroutslotcars.com/Farrout-Slot-Car-Collection.html)

herman
2010.10.13, 05:17 AM
woah... thanks fovea3d for the link.... what a collection... :D

also wondering if hpi is pushing through with this... anybody else have any info?

herman
2010.10.15, 06:26 AM
will hpi have this featured at the 50th all japan model hobby show over the weekend???
guess we'll have to wait a bit longer... :D

titeuf007
2010.10.19, 01:22 AM
do you think that this next car will be good than mr03?
i can t arrive to know when it would be in stock..do you have an idee?
on top of that we don t know the price of the kit alone(h-02)
sorry for my english i am french:)

herman
2010.10.19, 06:41 AM
to be honest i really have no idea...
haven't heard any news from the recently concluded 50th all japan model hobby show either...

wish there was news somewhere...

titeuf007
2010.10.19, 02:05 PM
nobody near hpi can say something???
it s not possible that they are no news about this model:eek:

we can see on horizon hobby the kit so it s possible that it will be in stock..no??

arch2b
2010.10.19, 02:05 PM
do i think it will be better than a mini-z? no.

do when know when it will be ins stock? no, the release date continues to get pushed back.

do we know the price? yes, there have been price point information posted. i recall it being favorable.

will this take off as a success? i doubt it, but hope so. we have to face the reality that micro scales are seen as toys by the rc community at large. until this perception changes, any micro scale will remain micro in reach. i attribute the long term success of the mini-z due to it's scale, beauty and longevity of both consumer and aftermarket support. i don't think there is another micro product of comparable scale that prevails today as long as the mini-z has. all the others have gone by the way side. even the enormously popular xmods has disappeared due to rs ditching the line or at least putting it into long term hibernation.

titeuf007
2010.10.19, 02:44 PM
yes everybody know that kyosho is the best...not for their mr but for their race and popular competition..
but i don t like the line of their kit..it s look like a toy!!and the price is very high for only plastic :rolleyes:
so i hope that a new famous firm like hpi try to sell a new solution at this expensive kyosho mini z

arch2b
2010.10.19, 02:57 PM
i'm not saying kyosho is the best, they are the only ones that stuck around for the long haul. who knows what may have become of the mini-x for example had they hung in there or any other of the 1:24 scale cars.

resting success on the fact that slot cars are on a common scale with the R32 is misguided. there were several 1:24 scale cars that did not stand the test of time and they were on a common scale as well.

to prove successful, this has to be more than a short term pet project. otherwise it will either hit the ground to limited success such as other micro scales or hit the ground running like xmods only to get dicontinued within a relatively short amount of time in comparison to mini-z production.

titeuf007
2010.10.20, 10:47 AM
hpi please hurry upppppppp:D

herman
2010.10.20, 11:50 AM
got some information from one of the guys who posted videos in the 50th all japan hobby show...

''unfortunatelly hpi did not have their booth at the exhibition. they had a booth at shizuoka hobby show in may 2010 though.. ''

:( wish anybody else could give more info....

titeuf007
2010.10.20, 10:32 PM
yes if someone has a information about this new car...:D
do you think that all slot canopy can use on the hpi micro car??because we can see on a video a abs system which put in the canopy...

color01
2010.10.21, 01:36 AM
i'm not saying kyosho is the best, they are the only ones that stuck around for the long haul. who knows what may have become of the mini-x for example had they hung in there or any other of the 1:24 scale cars.
Another thing to consider is that Kyosho picking 1/28 was likely not a fluke. 1/32 cars can be a little too small: like the new HPI cars have demonstrated you need to move to smaller hardware, sometimes smaller motor, when you drop down to 1/32, which compromises ease of maintenance. The CRT 1/32 cars of old actually used 130 motors and whatever battery you could fit, but then the problem was that the cars would be uncontrollably fast and twitchy to boot. 1/24 is a tad large for tight indoors racing, and you don't get quite the same "wow" sense of speed with a conservatively wound (70t) motor due to the size of the car -- you either use a hotter wind motor, which compromises runtime, or you just go slower. All three scales (1/32, 1/28, 1/24) are too small for modular electronics to fit well in the car, so Kyosho providing proprietary electronics has been a huge factor in keeping sales up. The ability to use AAA's has been a huge factor in keeping sales up not just to hobbyists, but basically anyone who wants a low-commitment toy car to play with. And as mentioned before, 1/28 just happens to be a really good match speed-wise with the 130-can motor, which is by far the best size for brushed micro RC due to its familiarity (slot cars).

I feel like the only chance for HPI to turn their 1/32 cars into a success is to make sure the cars are very aggressively promoted and make sure the infrastructure (track material, timing systems, public events, established retailers) are already in place long before the cars are released. Perhaps HPI is working on that right now, but without it there is NO way that the Racing32 cars will survive because it's hard enough to get new people to pick up a Mini-Z off the shelf these days.

herman
2010.10.21, 02:57 AM
good point color01...
as you pointed out, batts are probably another factor to consider...

titeuf007
2010.10.21, 07:06 AM
i disagree
because with hpi car you can use your own tx;your lipo batterie for indoor flying for example,a micro servos,brushless moteur like losi...so it s less expansive and more user friendly than kyosho module....
a personn who have a micro t for example can use all parts for this car so it s less expansive...

on top of that you can use a smaller track for race than mr03 so you are not need to use an another equipement...
and the best is than you can use all slot car canopy thanks to a smaller plastic part which put in the canopy...so you have more choice and less expansive than kyosho

after we don t know if this car have a great performance on the track!!i am not enought good in english to ask hpi usa so if a personn can send a mail to have more information it will be great

herman
2010.12.22, 04:45 AM
anybody know any new news about this?

i saw a couple of pics but not sure if it's an official release...

source (http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/yupigu2000/archive/2010/12/19)

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31018&stc=1&d=1293011253
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31019&stc=1&d=1293011253

Skv012a
2010.12.22, 03:42 PM
Edit- wonder when they'll hit the stores... but 120$ RTR tag is awfully tempting. That alone got 1 up on Mini-Zs and Dnano, plus its $120 for modular 2.4 electronics? That sounds like an even better deal.

PadrinoNY
2010.12.24, 08:56 AM
Horizon I believe will be stocking them. Just do the search. I hope tiny rc gets it but be prepared they are not offically licensed to HPI (the body shapes) so they don't have the same details as the dnanos and Z's

hilldebrandt
2010.12.24, 12:03 PM
According to the Horizon Hobby website, the Skyline RTR set is due in late January '11 for $119.99...

titeuf007
2010.12.25, 07:47 PM
it s good news if it will be available for the end of this month:rolleyes:
do you have an idea about the price for the expert version withtout electronic

boohoo
2011.01.28, 12:11 PM
According to the Horizon Hobby website, the Skyline RTR set is due in late January '11 for $119.99...

there getting them for that price i just saw on another site there 199 dollars and that price is from hpi themselve`s

ChiMiniRc
2011.01.28, 03:17 PM
there getting them for that price i just saw on another site there 199 dollars and that price is from hpi themselve`s

Just got some official info in. $199 is suggested retail. MAP will most likely be $114.99-$119.99

I hear Horizon is getting them in, in a week or two. So we should be able to get our hands on these second half of Feb.

ChiMiniRc
2011.01.28, 03:29 PM
Click the PDF to view the full PDF. Retail is incorrect, it should be $179.00. Suggested Retail is $99 but based on Suggested Retail, I think that is low. I think most hobby shops will want to sell at $119.99

HPI U.S. is waiting on their own samples to answer the question about slot car body mounting. Right now, just the one body is coming into the U.S.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk193/Greg_Zielinski/hpirs32.png (http://www.scribd.com/full/47743126?access_key=key-20m0r9lajva8tmoi8h8f)

Q t
2011.01.29, 02:44 AM
i think they put an r32 on it since its a 1/32 scale rc but i cant wait for this!

herman
2011.01.29, 04:41 AM
hmmm... cool thanks for the info...

someone get one quick and post a review!!!:D

titeuf007
2011.02.02, 05:41 PM
good new
and what is the price for the pro version??because i already have a rx and tx

ChiMiniRc
2011.02.02, 08:39 PM
good new
and what is the price for the pro version??because i already have a rx and tx

I don't think they are bringing over that version. Not yet at least.

standupnfall
2011.02.02, 08:45 PM
What would be the size of this compared to a mini Z?
Length, width?

Thanks

Skv012a
2011.02.03, 02:23 AM
Oh wow, so these will be about 100-130 RTR. Very, very nice!

hilldebrandt
2011.02.03, 09:33 PM
Horizon is selling them for $104.96.

mugler
2011.02.04, 01:22 AM
Here's a video of one running on track, it's a slug :eek: but then again probly bone stock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iewkrXs1q2g&feature=related

herman
2011.02.04, 03:40 AM
yeah slug... :D
maybe if they change the pinion?

ChiMiniRc
2011.02.04, 08:37 AM
Here's a video of one running on track, it's a slug :eek: but then again probly bone stock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iewkrXs1q2g&feature=related

Oh dear. Even if they change the pinion or put a faster motor in it, the battery configuration is going to have limited run times.

Still going to get some. I'm interested in how it handles on RCP and ease of driving. For beginner in our club, it may be best to start of with something slower like this. Still, if these DO accept slot car bodies, the amount of choices is going to be huge and enough to get me interested.

hrdrvr
2011.02.04, 08:47 AM
It's pretty sluggish on a Z track, but imagine it on something 25-30% smaller than the one shown. The lower speed s could really allow you to set u pa much smaller tighter layout, and still have some fun with it. In stock size, I don't ever see them competing speed wise, or on track with Zs, so I'm not hopeful for that any more.

On the Z side of things, I hope HPI comes up with a conversion for it. A CF chassis more close to 28th scale with their front end, electronics, and room for either a lith pack, or AAAs would be cool. Something similar to the P28 wouldn't be hard to design with the front end like it is.

Skv012a
2011.02.04, 09:40 AM
It's pretty sluggish on a Z track, but imagine it on something 25-30% smaller than the one shown. The lower speed s could really allow you to set u pa much smaller tighter layout, and still have some fun with it. In stock size, I don't ever see them competing speed wise, or on track with Zs, so I'm not hopeful for that any more.

On the Z side of things, I hope HPI comes up with a conversion for it. A CF chassis more close to 28th scale with their front end, electronics, and room for either a lith pack, or AAAs would be cool. Something similar to the P28 wouldn't be hard to design with the front end like it is.

If anything, I'm sure we can just use one of our aftermarket Z chassis for that. These HPIs will have modular components after all.

Else I think they should not only stick to 1/32, but try to promote this line so it doesn't die before it even hits retail.

1/32 = bodies, bodies, bodies that we'll NEVER see kyosho make, and that's the #1 drive to get one of these things, at least for me.

ChiMiniRc
2011.02.08, 04:34 PM
LHS just got one in.

1. Special tool is required for the body mounts. Not a screw or body pin
2. Servo and Receiver are not preinstalled
3. Packaging looks very nice

I'll try to get more info up soon.

hrdrvr
2011.02.08, 05:04 PM
Look forward to seeing what you think Chi :D

If anything, I'm sure we can just use one of our aftermarket Z chassis for that. These HPIs will have modular components after all.

Else I think they should not only stick to 1/32, but try to promote this line so it doesn't die before it even hits retail.

1/32 = bodies, bodies, bodies that we'll NEVER see kyosho make, and that's the #1 drive to get one of these things, at least for me.

I know it won't be hard to use one of the current aftermarket chassis, but those aren't doing anything to get people into racing Zs as it is. HPI has a huge customer base, and I am sure there are people that would get into 1/28th if HPI supported the scale.

I'm sorry, but I don't really see supporting these if this is not the case. All it can do is take away from the Z crowd, IMO.

I know body selection is crucial, but a lot of us are in it for the competition. Most of the big events only have a few of the Kyosho offerings anyway, so even though I feel like I try and stay out of the main stream, I don't fee like I have to go to something Kyosho doesn't offer just to get something "different".

Skv012a
2011.02.09, 01:13 AM

I know it won't be hard to use one of the current aftermarket chassis, but those aren't doing anything to get people into racing Zs as it is. HPI has a huge customer base, and I am sure there are people that would get into 1/28th if HPI supported the scale.

I'm sorry, but I don't really see supporting these if this is not the case. All it can do is take away from the Z crowd, IMO.

I know body selection is crucial, but a lot of us are in it for the competition. Most of the big events only have a few of the Kyosho offerings anyway, so even though I feel like I try and stay out of the main stream, I don't fee like I have to go to something Kyosho doesn't offer just to get something "different".

I know I'm the outlier of the community in my hunt for preferable bodies, but these have a good potential to establish their own circle considering how cheap they will be. I doubt mini-Z community would suffer, but if these HPIs reel-in some larger scale guys, our community may in fact benefit from new smaller scale drivers who may choose to get Zs to compete.

For simple fun racing, if these HPIs are good, I really don't see a need to drop 2x the price ona mini-z.

bermbuster
2011.02.09, 09:58 PM

the 1/32 scale is a serious slot car scale.....you will be able to use slot car bodies with the HPI....
For the price they will make a great entry level car....In the big picture it will make a new class for racing and it may get racers into mini z s...
As much as I like mini z s Kyosho needs some competition....

hrdrvr
2011.02.10, 09:48 AM
I agree with both of y'all on some level, but I guess it is a difference of perspective. I don't see them as competition for Kyosho since they aren't in the same scale and wont be raced together. I also live in a less densely populated area than either of y'all, and around here Z racers are hard to come by. If these cars were to offer a different platform that people would get into instead of Zs, we would have a divided community. If people are coming in, and price point is the only thing holding them back from Z racing, I'd rather offer up a cheap used MR-02, rather than set them up with a non-compatible RC.

If Hpi comes with a 28th conversion (not reconverting a Z conversion) then maybe the other scale guys would end up on the track with us. Otherwise I think if these catch on, it will be a different scene from our current Z scene.

EMU
2011.02.10, 11:07 AM
One thing that this car may help with, is introducing slot car racers to RC, since the car is compatable with 1/32 slot cars. Once they are introduced, there is more of a chance that they will be introduced to Mini-Z. I see this more as an entry level car, and once people get interested in RC, it usually grabs hold and becomes an addiction (like it is for all of us) :)

With that said, I do agree with Landon about the fact that it will divide the community, but at the same time, it expands it to many slot racers... In general, I see it as a car that will increase awareness to the hobby.

ChiMiniRc
2011.02.10, 11:15 AM
One thing that this car may help with, is introducing slot car racers to RC, since the car is compatable with 1/32 slot cars. Once they are introduced, there is more of a chance that they will be introduced to Mini-Z. I see this more as an entry level car, and once people get interested in RC, it usually grabs hold and becomes an addiction (like it is for all of us) :)

With that said, I do agree with Landon about the fact that it will divide the community, but at the same time, it expands it to many slot racers... In general, I see it as a car that will increase awareness to the hobby.

I think we are jumping the gun a little on slot car compatibility. Right now, it doesn't look like anything is going to mount without fabrication.

Remember, the Dnano are all 1/43 scale cars but you can't use different bodies on the same chassis.

I do have a body I'd like to see fit (http://www.fantasyworldhobbies.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=8343&osCsid=bf3hbt7bt9po9nr6dsfbnqcnr4)on the 1/32 though.

EMU
2011.02.10, 11:25 AM
HPI now makes a 1/32 slot car, that should mount the same bodies. So, I thought some slot guys would be aware of it, and it would introduce the RC chassis to that community. While I know that not all slot bodies would be compatable, it would be much easier to adapt them to the HPI chassis than it is to find a compatable slot/model for the Mini-Z.

ChiMiniRc
2011.02.10, 11:37 AM
HPI now makes a 1/32 slot car, that should mount the same bodies. So, I thought some slot guys would be aware of it, and it would introduce the RC chassis to that community. While I know that not all slot bodies would be compatable, it would be much easier to adapt them to the HPI chassis than it is to find a compatable slot/model for the Mini-Z.

Agreed. I'll be one of those folks looking at the best ways to fit the bodies. :)

chicagokenji
2011.02.13, 04:19 PM
A Mini-Z, the HPI car, and a Dnano together, today here at Greg's races in Berkeley IL.

http://www.chiminirc.com/

bermbuster
2011.02.13, 06:07 PM
A Mini-Z, the HPI car, and a Dnano together, today here at Greg's races in Berkeley IL.

http://www.chiminirc.com/

sweet....its a decent size....
How did it drive?

Skv012a
2011.02.13, 09:46 PM
Where can we get them right now, if its possible?

arch2b
2011.02.13, 09:50 PM
horizonhobby... $104

Skv012a
2011.02.13, 09:55 PM
horizonhobby... $104

Says on backorder...

herman
2011.02.14, 06:03 AM
any updates?
how's the speed on this thing? is it anything like the video?

will3kgt
2011.02.14, 07:21 AM
I drove this car over the weekend and it's nice. Well worth
the money for what you get. Wish it was a little faster out
of the box but handles great out of the box.

Skv012a
2011.02.14, 09:40 AM
I drove this car over the weekend and it's nice. Well worth
the money for what you get. Wish it was a little faster out
of the box but handles great out of the box.

I'd imagine that if its board can handle lipos, that should do the trick, no? Not to mention how EASY they would be to shove in there.

Note that ebay has rather cheap HPI slotcar R32 and R34s, so we're not gonna be limited to JUST this blue guy even if we jump on buying these asap.

chicagokenji
2011.02.14, 11:34 AM
I drove the HPI yesterday. We also did a test of laptimes versus a mini-z and a Dnano. I have a video that I'll upload later.

Out of the box on a How Fast Are You Layout on RCP track I was able to keep the throttle fully pegged and keep the HPI car pretty much in the center of the track for the entire battery charge.

Box stock, if you already race Mini-Z or Dnano, the HPI will feel slow on a 24 inch or wider RCP track. Although the car feels planted, neutral and reacts just fine.

A seasoned mini-z racer will want the HPI to go faster. Not sure how'd you'd accomplish that without modifications or some upgrade. As of today there isn't any upgrades that I'm aware of from HPI.

chicagokenji
2011.02.14, 01:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrNNOZ3gjZ0

the RS32 video I promised.

Skv012a
2011.02.14, 06:47 PM
IMO looks great. If anything its like the Epoch cars, but in an even MORE custom body friendly scale. Also, these use the 130 motors, right? So thats the answer as far as speed goes.

color01
2011.02.14, 08:19 PM
Definitely not a 130 motor in the rear pod of the RS32. If anything I would guess it's similar to the one found in the Losi Micro Rally/SC, as they seem to be going at very similar speeds. The size of the car is perfect though I think, slots right in between the "too small to see" dNanos and the "too big to race at home" Mini-Z's.

mugler
2011.02.14, 08:50 PM
Brian looking at the pictures I'm pretty sure you are correct on the motor size. that being said i had and still do have the micro-t which also uses same motor and on lipo the speeds are insane. Quickest way to inject some speed & performance would be to just drop in a lipo pack and see what happens. This can be a great "gateway" car/class to micro RC, at this price a lot of them will be picked up and eventually some are going to look for places to race them. looks like horizon ran out of their first batch!

njd13
2011.02.14, 09:04 PM
If you look at the picture, you can see that the connectors on the motor are the same as the one on the micro-t:

http://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/kits/103634/001.jpg

Based on that the motor looks exactly the same as the one on the micro-t. That means it might be possible to drop in a Atomic BB2 or some other micro-t motors. That might make it faster.

Skv012a
2011.02.14, 11:03 PM
I already mentioned trying LiPos per board's ability, but charging them might be a new obstacle unless there's a way to use those micro-helicopter ones or something else with cheap chargers and easy way to connect them.

Felix2010
2011.02.15, 01:45 AM
This talk about hopping-up 1/32 HPI's with Lipo cells and motor upgrades has got me reminiscing of 2004-05-06 -- The 'Golden Age' for Xmods ultra-modification and hop-up invention...:cool:

Many would probably agree that the Xmods product made Mini-Z science advance faster and better. Xmods' hop-up development scene including batteries/suspension/drivetrain/chassis-upgrades/bearings/electronics, and last but not least MOTORS>>> New hop-up companies started up and did well. When many of us first-time "Xmoders" demanded ludicrously-fast Xmods with custom chassis+custom motor+better cells, we all quickly found ourselves wanting better cars (mini-Zs) with better hop-ups.

Then RCP Tracks revolutionized micro-RC racing. Mini-Z Racing, and briefly Xmod-Racing, were seeing large race turnouts; Mini-Z parts design was getting more refined, more state-of-the-art; SPEED=The First Renaissance of Mini-Z/Xmod advancement... Now we are well into the Second Mini-Z Renaissance=RACING where winning professional races is where it's at.

So what kind of motor are we guessing is OEM on the HPI 1:32 chassis? What's the difference between the 130-class Mini-Z OEM motor size and the HPI 1:32 size motor? Would a 130-size motor fit without modification/Slight-modification?

I wasn't too impressed by early pics and data on the HPI 1/32. If the chassis proves race-worthy (IF Tuning options become more and more available + HPI32 Handling is good to start), the HPI 1.32's separate Rx+ESC+Servo(F.S.) might have me looking at one of these. Could be a side project.....

HPI: PLEASE DON"T Let this product fade away into oblivion! Give us buyers some customer support and ideas on where this 1.32 HPI chassis can lead to. Innovation is strong on this micro scale from 1/24-1/43, but especially in the 1/28th and maybe soon the 1.32 HPI? We'll see....:D

Skv012a
2011.02.15, 02:54 AM
I think their direction is rather clear for now- bring slot guys into actual RC racing with 2 lines of chassis sharing the same, gorgeous bodies. Low price factor for a true RTR set. And other slot and model kit selections are just begging for us customizers to dive right in; modular electronics = easier custom chassis and such.

I really believe these have QUITE a great all-around potential. Maybe not world-class championships, but finally getting better use out of the mini-RCP tracks and whatnot.

mugler
2011.02.15, 03:15 AM
let's also not forget that for higher performance they displayed that carbon chassis version with foam tires. Have not heard or seen it being sold anywhere yet though. Again hard to imagine that this will not be good for all established mini-z tracks & therefore mini-z racing as well when eventually they switch to mini-z or try mini-z in addition to.

EMU
2011.02.15, 03:53 AM
The car being much cheaper than a Mini-Z, would introduce the hobby to many people that otherwise would not be interested in spending the amount of money as they would for a Mini-Z. Many people that I race with started with Xmods or other cheap entry level car. Mini-Z was relatively reasonable to enter with a sub $150 range price with the AM system, many could be purchased for $100 if you knew where to look. Now it is much more expensive with the MR03, and the increase in their RTR price with the MR02 ASF. If people arent specifically looking for it, they may never purchase one at a hobby shop. With the $100 price point for an RTR, it will open the door to many new customers that want a small car that they can run inside their house for a little fun, which may eventually lead them to Mini-Z or other RC in the future. Even if the car is slower and eventually leaves them wanting more... that is a good thing, because it will make them move to the next stage in RC. Either hopping it up, or moving to a different scale and car.

I would expect to see more small home tracks, kind of what was seen with the Epoch and Zip Zap. The turning radius looks very reasonable, and the car looks pretty stable. I would like to get one and run some tests, but I have to make sure I can fit it in my hobby budget.

standupnfall
2011.02.15, 08:59 AM
I will deff be picking up 2 once they are back in stock since it seems like a great way to race my son with an even field. Right now he runs a stock kyosho motor in my old hooked up mr-02 and I run a pn70t in my 03. This is some tight and uneven racing on our little mini96 track. the pair of smaller and slower cars should make the racing more interesting.

Im all for the cars, keep the vids coming.

If someone could post a close up video review of the car with the body off and on it would be great.
Thanks

Skv012a
2011.02.15, 10:37 AM
Ah yes, slower = less damage too. Dnanos were simply light enough not to accumulate too much, but at the same time their parts were so small and more prone to breaking.

Deca
2011.02.15, 11:32 AM
Got to drive one of these at our last race, they're a lot of fun! They are indeed slow, but if you set up an appropriate track for their speed it actually makes for really close, fun racing. The handling is pretty much spot on, they're completely planted and do what you want them to :)

njd13
2011.02.18, 10:12 AM
Some more information:

http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119897

vigilanterc
2011.02.19, 07:44 PM
Here is my small band of bodies for my HPI RS-32 cars. I let Will and Deca Race them the other night and I really like these small cars. Scalextric Slot bodies fit VERY well with wheelbase and width (track). I have the Ford Focus WRC,:D Peugeot 307 WRC,:D and Citroen Xsara WRC:D. They have potential for better performance. I added bearing for the rear and need to get the front ones in soon. On a smaller track these are more than fast enough, but on a large RCP..........Well...........It takes a while to get around. The best part is that they all run just about the same speed so Racing is always fair and close!!! I love these cars. I also have Mini-Z's and a bunch of Dnano's so I know what real performance is but these are bang for the buck FUN!!!

Steven
www.vigilante-rc.com
Vigilante R/C

ChiMiniRc
2011.02.19, 08:39 PM
Tried a losi Lipo from a micro-t since the connector was already there.
Lasted 5 seconds. End of message.

EDIT - I just realized that the battery wasn't topped off. And Losi packs have internal voltage cutoff and the car still runs on the standard pack. Might need to try again.

doug01n
2011.02.20, 01:13 PM
Does the cutt off cuts the power when the car uses a higher current than expected?

ChiMiniRc
2011.02.20, 02:28 PM
Does the cutt off cuts the power when the car uses a higher current than expected?

I'm not sure but I do have a Dynamite brand lipo battery for losi micro's that doesn't have any circuits. Just 2s lipo. Working up the nerve to try lipo again.

RealTracks
2011.02.23, 07:58 PM
We just got some of these in a few days ago and everyone that has tried them really likes them. I was really surprised how well they handled. Very solid and tight feel. Brian, you hit it right on the head about the size of these. While the RS32 are are not much smaller than a mini-z they can be driven realistically in a much smaller space that is easily found in most homes (they have a 16" turning circle). While I like the dnano's they can be difficult to tune to get consistent performance. Plus they are just so small to work on. . The RS32s are much easier to work on and the separate components are familiar to most RC'ers. The comments were consistent from everyone who tested them.

1) Solid feel
2) Easy to drive
3) Easy to drive fast
4) Not twitchy like a dnaNo
5) Goes right you want and expect it to
6) Could be faster but speed is adequate
7) Great for stock class racing
5) consistent, consistent, consistent

I was most surprised by the run time. With a 150mah battery I was only counting on 6 or 7 minutes. We consistently got 14 minutes out of them but lost some punch at about 6 min. The car is perfectly balanced with the stock tires and a joy to drive on the edge. The added mass reminds me of driving a big epoch. I would definitely change to the tallest gear before you even put it on the track.The battery consistently took 125mah in 24mins at 300 mah on a peak charger. I have some 360mah lipos and voltage regulators ordered for testing. I will probably will rework the current battery holder to slide a quick change lipo out each side. I am just about ready to CNC a adjustable pan chassis for some of my slot car bodies. Steve you got me inspired with your WRC conversions.

Let the mods begin,

Miles

vigilanterc
2011.02.25, 09:09 PM
Cool Miles! I can't wait to see what you come up with.
BTW, you are correct about compairing them to a "Big Epoch"!

Steven
www.vigilante-rc.com

RCPMini-z
2011.02.26, 11:43 AM
We will have some RS32's available for public testing at RCX in a few weeks. Come down and give one a test drive. http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35540

RealTracks
2011.02.26, 01:31 PM
Here a short video of some of the first few runs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B98FJQCsxko

Miles

RealTracks
2011.02.27, 11:42 AM
All of the major online outlets have them in stock now. Omni and Horizon have them for $99.00 and free shipping.

Skv012a
2011.02.27, 04:32 PM
All of the major online outlets have them in stock now. Omni and Horizon have them for $99.00 and free shipping.

Superb! I'm hoping that Horizon gets this thing to my door this week since they're back in stock.

ChiMiniRc
2011.02.27, 09:49 PM

A great price for the consumer but at that price, I don't think many hobby shops will carry them.

herman
2011.02.27, 10:24 PM
vigilanterc...
wow... just love those conversions... as i am still unfamiliar with the hpi 1/32 platform (body and chassis), was it difficult putting on the slot car bodies on the chassis? what exact modifications did you have to do to make them fit?

finally a citroen rally car on a mini-rc scale car...

thanks in advance...

herman

vigilanterc
2011.02.28, 11:27 AM
vigilanterc...
wow... just love those conversions... as i am still unfamiliar with the hpi 1/32 platform (body and chassis), was it difficult putting on the slot car bodies on the chassis? what exact modifications did you have to do to make them fit?

finally a citroen rally car on a mini-rc scale car...

thanks in advance...

herman

Hi Heman. Thanks for your comments. It was a little tricky getting them to fit perfect. I had to pick bodies that had a close wheel base to the chassis. I then use a sanding drum on my Dremel and oppend up the wheel arches to make the wheel base perfectly on center of the openings. The body mounts I used on 2 of the cars are from the stock body. For the Citroen, I used my heat formed Kydex and Delrin side mounts to "simulate" the stock mounting clip arrangement. Take a look at the picture to see both bodies that I used. The Citroen actually fits the best.
(I am a HUGE Peugeot 206 WRC fan as well).

Thanks a lot again for checking out my stuff!

Check my website for updates as I add them.
www.vigilante-rc.com

Steven
Vigilante R/C

herman
2011.03.01, 01:27 AM
thanks for the info... and cool site...

have you seen my mini-z 206 wrc collection? if not, click below to see my cars... :D

vigilanterc
2011.03.01, 12:22 PM
thanks for the info... and cool site...

have you seen my mini-z 206 wrc collection? if not, click below to see my cars... :D

Yes I did! that is why I mentioned my love for the car. One of the coolest WRC Cars of all time. Radical yet functional and Beautiful!

Nice work on those. I am envious of them.:D

Steven

Skv012a
2011.03.01, 01:42 PM
I re-ordered from Omni since they have em in stock AND emailed me about 10$ off 100$ order. Hello 2 day shipping :D

Also remembered how I even know Omni- got my first 1/43 Modifiers factory box from them years ago and I loved those lil ricer models. So 2 birds from one store, not bad at all.

Traveler
2011.03.01, 02:58 PM
Can anyone confirm whether or not these cars use 130 size motors?

Skv012a
2011.03.01, 03:44 PM
They do NOT as was answered previously, but we may be able to modify them to.

vigilanterc
2011.03.01, 05:17 PM
If a motor used is larger than the stock one you will run the risk of killing the board.
:(

ChiMiniRc
2011.03.01, 05:25 PM
If a motor used is larger than the stock one you will run the risk of killing the board.
:(

The instructions have the speed control rated at 7 amps. It does not list the max voltage. I couldn't find an online manual to share but it is listed in the back. That should be enough to handle a pretty hot motor. What I don't know is if 7 amps is peak or sustained. Also 7amps may be instant death but 2 amps after 5 minutes might be death by heat. Dunno.

I would think you could run a bigger motor for a few minutes and monitor temparature.

vigilanterc
2011.03.01, 05:29 PM
The instructions have the speed control rated at 7 amps. It does not list the max voltage. I couldn't find an online manual to share but it is listed in the back. That should be enough to handle a pretty hot motor. What I don't know is if 7 amps is peak or sustained. Also 7amps may be instant death but 2 amps after 5 minutes might be death by heat. Dunno.

I would think you could run a bigger motor for a few minutes and monitor temparature.

That is good to know. I did not read the specs on the ESC. I would assume 7amp max continuous? Most Escs are rated that way and usually have a MAX Amp for a short burst.....I think the car needs to be WIDER before it gets too much faster..............I am working on converting one into a wide chassis style to fit one of my wide slot cars......The front is easy the rear will need more work to make a longer shaft or wider wheel adaptors......

Here is a pic of the cars I want to convert with a WIDE chassis layout..

Any thoughts on this concept?
Steven
Vigilante R/C

ChiMiniRc
2011.03.01, 05:37 PM
That is good to know. I did not read the specs on the ESC. I would assume 7amp max continuous? Most Escs are rated that way and usually have a MAX Amp for a short burst

I know with different, larger scale 1:28 prototype car I saw at iHobby, it had a 130 size or larger motor, it was AWD, and was getting plenty enough power from a Lithium power setup. That speed control was rated for 5 amps. So if 7 amps is continous, nearly any motor that isn't insane should work. At least long enough to monitor temps without worry about instant blowout.

vigilanterc
2011.03.01, 05:43 PM
[Deleted from post.