PDA

View Full Version : Pan car conversions

WhiteSatin
2009.05.24, 06:40 PM
Hey, if anyone out there has a pan car conversion (like the Sinister or the like), could you do me a huge favor and measure the thickness of the carbon plate used to construct the chassis? Preferably with a pair of calipers if you've got them. I expect it to be around 1mm but I'm not sure since I don't have one, yet.

Thanks
Chris

color01
2009.05.24, 07:38 PM
Sinister chassis is 1.5mm thick, as are the P28, Carbon-One and upcoming MRCG1.1. ;) Almost all the 1/28 pan car chassis in existence use 1.5mm or 1/16" (equal to 1.58mm) carbon fiber laminate as the base: it's just the right balance of stiffness and weight to perform well. Are you looking to make your own chassis?

WhiteSatin
2009.05.24, 08:59 PM
Actually I want to make an AWD chassis.

If I get a 2wd, I'd rather buy yours than make my own, lol. I watched your vids and read your threads on RCTech, yours looks perfect to me. That is of course assuming you begin selling them.

Do you know of a cheap source for 1.5mm carbon plate?

Thanks!
Chris

bermbuster
2009.05.24, 09:46 PM
Actually I want to make an AWD chassis.

If I get a 2wd, I'd rather buy yours than make my own, lol. I watched your vids and read your threads on RCTech, yours looks perfect to me. That is of course assuming you begin selling them.

Do you know of a cheap source for 1.5mm carbon plate?

Thanks!
Chris

www.dragonplate.com

color01
2009.05.25, 12:59 AM
Dragonplate produces the best quality CF plate that I've seen available for retail; I agree with berm's recommendation.

I also suggest hitting up McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com) for some sheets of cheap G10 fiberglass. You'll probably have to make several prototypes if you want perfection (The MRCG took well over 10 versions :eek:), so you want to make things in G10 first to save your wallet.

WhiteSatin
2009.05.25, 01:13 AM
Thanks for the info guys!

Color, when will the mrcg be available again? Also, can the belt diff from the TGR Sinister be used on your car? If so, you should look into getting a hold of them, so the motors aren't reverse timed, or look into having your own belt diff made somewhere. It would be a definite advantage I think?

Thanks
Chris

color01
2009.05.25, 03:02 AM
Yes you can, but... all of the most recent Mini-Z motors have the armature timing already adjusted to suit the normal pinion-spur drivetrain. The belt drive actually causes these motors to run with retarded timing, so I'd say it's rather a disadvantage. :confused:

Optimistically, the MRCG1.1 might be on preorder by the end of this month. :) Just waiting on some fasteners to arrive and then it'll be time to put the kits together!

WhiteSatin
2009.05.25, 04:55 PM
Cool, thanks again for the info. I didn't know the new motors ran the right way.