PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning up the steering

bmxtrev
2009.05.25, 08:44 PM
Hi guys,
With the Am's I know that cleaning and lubing the pot helps smooth out the steering and centering and twitching. But since the 2.4 is so good, should I go as far as cleaning and lubing the pot or should I just blow everything off with air? Thanks

Skv012a
2009.05.25, 09:03 PM
Don't bother with anything because the difference due to 2.4 is a mile from AM. There's NO twitching/glitching/etc whatsoever and its super quick and responsive.

bmxtrev
2009.05.25, 09:53 PM
i know that, but how far do you guys go in cleaning the steering components? ie what do you do when you "clean your steering" on the 2.4?

i ask this because my steering is getting bad and rough, and needs a cleaning. but should i go commando and clean everything and lube the pot and stuff, or what? thanks

herman
2009.05.25, 11:15 PM
i'm kinda oc.. so for me the cleaner the better... besides if you're going to clean it, why not go all the way? rather than cleaning it kinda so so... putting it back together, then finding out that it's still ''bad and rough''... but thats just me...

bmxtrev
2009.05.26, 08:15 AM
should i go as far as tinkering with the pot and spraying stuff in there and lubing it?

-J-
2009.05.26, 09:17 AM
should i go as far as tinkering with the pot and spraying stuff in there and lubing it?

Like Herman said, while you've got it all opened up, why not? I don't see how it could hurt?

eztuner12
2009.05.26, 06:34 PM
Hi.

Herman post is A-OK...:)

As long as the servo mechanism is not hermetically close, as on a regular hobby servo the gears, Pot and motor have to be clean occasionally since dust, dirt & debris has access to it, as an open servo on the Mini-zs.
On a digit open servo as the 2.4gs e-board, it is not so noticeable as on an AM analog servo, due to the digit high speed movements, but once you have clean-up the digit open servo, you will notice immediately the performance improvement.
Cheers;)

okoye
2009.05.26, 08:01 PM
what can be used to clean the steering up? like a tooth brush or something what can be used?

eztuner12
2009.05.26, 09:17 PM
what can be used to clean the steering up? like a tooth brush or something what can be used?

For the gears I personally use liquid soap, let the gears dip in it for about 15 min then with a tooth brush scrub it well, dry and ready to go.

The Pot and servo motor, I use motor cleaner spry, when I am out of motor cleaner I dip the Pot and motor as well, separately on paint thinner, which is always @ my home and it dose an excellent job too. I dip the pot for 30min and the motor for about 1 hour.
When the motor is ready I lube the shaft & bushing on the gear side. On the Pot I spread some electric conductive grease.

I also place a piece of type on the slot near the servo area on the center front area on the bottom of the chassis, on the 4wd chassis, I have noticed that covering this small slot will prevent dirt to go in the servo area and will provide a longer period of a clean servo.
Cheers

herman
2009.05.26, 09:48 PM
why not? :D give it a go... let us know what happens...

for the servo gears, ya a used toothbrush would do... check the teeth under a magnifying glass to make sure that there's nothing in between...
click here (http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23720&highlight=cleaning+pot) for more tips on cleaning the pot (thanks to draconious)

bmxtrev
2009.05.26, 11:14 PM
Alright here's what ima do:
Blow out the pot with compressed air
Soak gears in soap 15 min then get the toothbrush out :)
Blow out the rest of servo assembly

Since there's no centering or glitching/twitching issues, it must be mainly the gears causing the roughness, so im just gonna take it easy on the pot and really just get the gears clean.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Lol when my AM beater-build parts come in I'll experiment on that pot, it needs some help XD