PDA

View Full Version : KT-18 trouble shooting

RCPMini-z
2009.05.28, 09:23 PM
I have been using my KT-18 all day and all of a sudden it won't pair up with my Mini-z. I went through the paring steps, but can't get the transmitter light to dim to engage pairing. Anyone have this issue?

Edit: It doesn't make any beeping noises when I push the power button, but the light goes on as normal. Could other 2.4 devices in the house cause this permanent problem?

imxlr8ed
2009.05.29, 10:51 AM
I heard something about interferences but I think it's extremely rare. I used to wonder about the 2.4ghz phone I had, if that caused any interference.

Turn on radio holding throttle trim button up, turn on car while holding esc button. Turn off car, turn off radio. Turn on radio, turn on car. Should be binded.

Make sure you're batteries in the radio are topped off, mine starts glitching with anything less than a full charge in the radio. (full throttle becomes intermittent)

yasuji
2009.05.29, 12:16 PM
i had a radio do that to me for one of my rentals.....i gave up and just got another one:confused: but mine was brand new out of the box.....no beep o anything

RCPMini-z
2009.05.29, 12:48 PM
i had a radio do that to me for one of my rentals.....i gave up and just got another one:confused: but mine was brand new out of the box.....no beep o anything

Yep, same thing. Power goes on, light goes on, but no chirp and I can't get it into binding mode. I have had it over a year now. I had been using it all day yesterday with no glitches.

yasuji
2009.05.29, 01:00 PM
Yep, same thing. Power goes on, light goes on, but no chirp and I can't get it into binding mode. I have had it over a year now. I had been using it all day yesterday with no glitches.
looks like it ist time for a new one.......lol....i couldnt figure it out so i jus got another

Skv012a
2009.05.29, 01:22 PM
What about powering on with the trop trim held down, same as always, then just hold it for 4-6 seconds and release after. I may have had similar issue with the KT not beeping or taking more than 3 seconds, but I never really had it fail completely.

yasuji
2009.05.29, 02:04 PM
maybe try a factory reset?.....

Skv012a
2009.05.29, 03:46 PM
Yea, that too. Never hurts and IMO you hardly need any settings using KT.

Tjay
2009.05.29, 06:51 PM
how do you do factory reset?

I have 6x kt-18 that were brand new off the box that doesn't work. I sent an email to kyosho and they want to give me a "walk through" in trouble shooting the problem instead of sending one to them. I did everything in the manual and even the once that are posted here but still no help. I have no time to call them and walk through all 6 radios so instead, I tell my customers to buy used kt-18 so that I wont have to waste my money on giving them brand new radio off my pocket.

RCPMini-z
2009.05.30, 12:39 AM
I picked up a new one today. All is good now. :)

Skv012a
2009.05.30, 12:58 AM
To reset you hold the bottom button (opposite of pairing) as you power on and keep holding until it resets itself, I think. If not try that with the horizontal trim's left button.

LED
2009.05.30, 04:04 PM
I've had the same problem at the club 2 weeks back.
A new member couldnt get his car to pair so we tryed a transmitter of someone else. The transmitter has been in use for a year, never problems with it and it to didnt pair with the new car.
Tryed pairing it back to the other and it wouldnt work either anymore.
The new transmitter was send back to kyosho, they replaced the electronics and it works fine now.
But the second transmitter still isn't.

Cherub1m
2009.06.18, 03:04 PM
When all seem to be functioning ok but the TX(KT-18) wont pair with the RX(Miniz) its most likely part# ktss 701. Unfortunately Kyosho and KoPropo do not sell it. Kyosho will service it for a wooping $68 including shipping:mad: (dont go that route, buy another one for $78 at a local hobby shop). Ko does not service the KT-18. I you get the same problem with your RF-901SM miniz module its probably the same thing because the ktss 701 part is also in the RF-901SM (in fact they are exactly the same). I was told sometimes the sofware gets corrupted and it just need to get re-flashed. And no KO will not re-flash your KT-18 but they will service the RF-901SM if a reflash is needed then it will only cost 17+ dollars to fix.

danieluki
2009.06.19, 07:06 AM
I have the same problem...!! blue led is on but no beep and no connection.....

I was using it normaly and suddenly lost connection with the car, "the battery is out" I thought..... when I check that the battery were ok , I restarted it (power on) the blue light is on but there is no beep in the TX.....
I have tried everything to reset but nothing.....

I thought mine was a rare case , and bought another used KT-18 , now I see many of you have the same problem....
I thing KT-18 is not so good as I expected..... :mad:

Cherub1m
2009.06.19, 08:25 AM
I have the same problem...!! blue led is on but no beep and no connection.....

I was using it normaly and suddenly lost connection with the car, "the battery is out" I thought..... when I check that the battery were ok , I restarted it (power on) the blue light is on but there is no beep in the TX.....
I have tried everything to reset but nothing.....

I thought mine was a rare case , and bought another used KT-18 , now I see many of you have the same problem....
I thing KT-18 is not so good as I expected..... :mad:

It's weird I had this happen to me all the sudden to both my EX-10 Helios coupled with the RF-901SM and my KT-18 almost at the same time:mad: only difference is I still have beeping sound. ktss-701 is a part that both systems share when it goes bad/gets corrupted then you either have to re-flash it, get a new ktss-701 or buy a new radio/module.

ktss-701 is like a mini module within the KT-18 and it in the RF-901SM (mini module within a module) the wire antenna come out of it.

It would be nice for the consumers to have access to this part or at least have the option of re-flashing it:cool:. In short I am surprised it hasn't happened to the RF-901SM module more frequently, because its the exact same part has whats in the KT-18, maybe the top end TX electronics are less likely to corrupt the ktss-701.

wildthing
2009.12.13, 06:45 PM
it has been six months since the last post... I am now experiencing a similar problem.

Have anybody made any progress in this?

The KT-18 I have won't factory reset, won't soft reset and won't bind too just like the previous problems encountered.

I have dis-assemble the unit but there seems to be no obvious physical problems in it.

Traveler
2009.12.13, 07:52 PM
So far, I've had 2 of my 3 KT-18s fail on me. :mad: Unfortunately a good while after the 90 day warranty period. When my second one failed, and mind you I didn't drop it, its seen no abuse as I am very careful with my gear, I emailed Kyosho to see if they knew of which part was failing so that maybe I could find a replacement and fix it myself. Its my understanding Kyosho does not provide service on the KT-18 unless its under warranty. I got a nice email back from my contact there :) saying to send it in with proof of purchase, but I never did because I don't keep receipts and it was well outside the 90 days. Instead I bought an EX-1 UR. :D

With 2 of my 3 KT-18s failing (66% failure rate) in under a year from purchase, I have come to the conclusion that they are defective.

If anyone does discover what component is causing this failure, please post it here so those of us with nonworking units can try to fix them.

tokeco
2010.01.01, 10:10 PM
Has anyone else experienced problems with the spring on the steeting of a KT-18? Mine doesn't work so I opened it up and it seems as though a plastic part is broken..... I couldn't find a logical way to fit it, so I am assuming it is broken, that is very disapointing I've had the product for no more than 60 days... :mad:

LED
2010.01.02, 03:34 AM
Yeah I had the same problem.
Mine was about 8 months old. Got a fresh new one :p