PDA

View Full Version : Is the 2.4 really worth that much more than the AM?

S2k Racer
2009.06.01, 09:35 PM
I'm thinking of getting a MA10 as soon as I get a new phone and I'm wondering if I should get a AM one and use my KT-2 that I got with my MR01 (still stock) or spend the extra and get a 2.4. So I'm wondering what the differences are and what people's opinions are etc.

Thanks,
S2kR

color01
2009.06.01, 09:43 PM
Depends if you're going to race. If you never plan to race in your life then you can save some cash and get an AM board; if you have even the slightest interest in racing, ASF is a real headache-reducer (just bind the car to the radio... no crystals, no glitching, no antenna troubles) and the excellent response time gives you better control over the car.

marc
2009.06.01, 09:56 PM
I wouldn't say it's worth more, but it is more worth having. You will be much happier with 2.4 than older technology. If you can afford the extra cost, by all means go 2.4. If all you can afford at the moment is the older type, then get that, and you can always upgrade to 2.4. It is very easy to swap.

herman
2009.06.01, 10:17 PM
it's a good thing to ask around...

click here (http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27597&highlight=2.4ghz+asf+review) for my 2.4ghz asf mr02 lm review

i've got an am ma010 awd, and just pretty recently got an 2.4ghz asf ma010 awd... everything was leaps and bounds over the am version...

although steering was again very responsive and quick compared to the am version my only gripe is wheel centering, which doesn't exactly track perfectly straight...

it kinda favors one side and will eventually veer off to one side one or two degrees... this comes after you've come out of a turn.... (this issue also happens to be present in my am version ma010 as well... i would then tend to conclude that this issue may be inherent to the ma010 chassis, as i've read that some others have been experiencing the same thing).... i just wonder if anybody else is experiencing the same thing... or if it's just me... i've been told that changing the servo saver will eliminate the problem... i plan to do this when i get the time to change the part... hmm... i digress...

but other than that, it's really great...

if you plan to do some racing, and if you have the budget, i would suggest the mr02 or mr015 2.4ghz asf... for me it would be a whole lot easier to set up... but if you're set on getting an ma010, who's to stop you :D

last tip... try before you buy... if you could, try to test drive the 2.4ghz asf ma010 and mr02 and see for yourself which one you like... (and don't forget to tell me if the ma010 really veers to one side as i mentioned)

hope this helps... :D

Jace1283
2009.06.01, 10:24 PM
i say don't get an AM awd, i dont know what it is about them but ive seen three, including my own just go nut and floor it into a wall when there was a dead spot or interference. Also with am the steering can go nuts on AM. If you have the money, you should go for the 2.4. You should know that you can't adjust the drag brake on 2.4 cars without the $80 ICS to plug into the computer.

S2k Racer
2009.06.01, 10:38 PM
I'm told 2.4 is 130 for chassis and like 40 for tx, AM is 140 with tx
Plus I already have a KT2 so I would be able to just get the AM MA10 and not have to get a TX.

But again, I'm not sure how much better the 2.4 is.

You should know that you can't adjust the drag brake on 2.4 cars without the $80 ICS to plug into the computer.
huh?

Jace1283
2009.06.01, 11:16 PM
you have to plug your car into a computer with the ics to change the amount the car slows down(without using brakes) after you release the throttle. Point is you can adjust that with an am car with the controller, on a 2.4 car you have to program the car itself. 2.4 is essentially flawless when it comes to the car doing what you tell it. Reverse can be troublesome. AM is glitchy and once youve had 2.4 you dont want to go back. If you plan on ever racing, you want 2.4. 2.4 boards also have 2 sets of fets while am only 1

S2k Racer
2009.06.02, 12:03 AM
Well the Fets might be a reason to get the 2.4, but I don't plan on actually racing just driving it around with my friend who doesn't plan on getting anything other than his XME.
Least until I find a track around here. I hear there's one in Seattle.
EDIT: This place used to do Mini-z and Xmods I hear. http://www.seattleindoorraceway.com/html/home.html
But apparently they don't anymore. I should ask if they still do any of that.

Skv012a
2009.06.02, 12:03 AM
Like I told you on aim- 2.4 to AM Z is like any Z to an Xmod/iWaver.

rkk
2009.06.02, 05:28 PM
Like I told you on aim- 2.4 to AM Z is like any Z to an Xmod/iWaver.

I don't follow this. The xmod and Iwaiver were only similar in scale. Every other aspect was different. Iwaver was just a mini-z without the strict quality control. I probably owned at around 5 iwavers and had very little trouble with any of them. The xmods while fast, always felt numb.

Back on topic. My suggestion would be save the money and start with AM. It doesn't sound like you'll be racing but even if you were the number of people who have moved to 2.4 should have cleared a lot of space on 2.4. Just my opinio, I could be wrong.

ianc
2009.06.02, 10:22 PM
Racing is not the only reason to go 2.4. The simple fact is that 2.4 is more fun and less headache than AM. If you want to have FUN with the car, be it racing or just tooling around, then you should go 2.4. Old technology is never a bargain...

ianc

S2k Racer
2009.06.02, 10:50 PM
maybe, but it is cheaper.

Skv012a
2009.06.02, 10:54 PM
Racing is not the only reason to go 2.4. The simple fact is that 2.4 is more fun and less headache than AM. If you want to have FUN with the car, be it racing or just tooling around, then you should go 2.4. Old technology is never a bargain...

ianc

Agree. You're already buying/ready to buy an expensive toy, so I'd just go for all it has to offer. If you think that upgrading later will be any cheaper- it won't be.

rkk
2009.06.02, 11:14 PM
I still disagree. IF you get AM you have cash left over for things that really do make it more fun to drive like bearings so it runs smoother, upgraded set of swing shafts so you are not always making repairs and a set of center shaft pinion set so you don't have to keep replacing them. Then again maybe the money would be better spent on a charger and a good set of batteries. That is just my opinion, I could be wrong.

S2k Racer
2009.06.02, 11:16 PM
Well,
If I can get a 2.4 and TX for $160 or less I'm probably gonna go with that.
but If I can get an AM without TX for around $80 I might have to go with that since I already have a KT2

Skv012a
2009.06.02, 11:24 PM
You can get all of those from some of us here, so its really just a matter of choice. Hit up BST with Want To Buy and see who'll respond.

S2k Racer
2009.06.02, 11:58 PM
Need 50 posts first XD
Kinda hard to make posts about Mini-Zs' though when I have yet to get my first.

Skv012a
2009.06.03, 12:16 AM
You don't for a buying thread, only need 50 to sell.

S2k Racer
2009.06.03, 12:46 AM
Oh I didn't know that... XD Lets take a Looksee, Or however you spell it.

herman
2009.06.03, 01:15 AM
But again, I'm not sure how much better the 2.4 is.

hmmm... have you not read my review on the 2.4ghz mr02 lm???
http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27597&highlight=2.4ghz+asf+review

and my short review? see post #4?

generally...
on the mr02/015 chassis the 2.4ghz asf is so much better by leaps and bounds over am

on the ma010 awd chassis... again it's so much better as well, but as i mentioned, my only gripe with the awd chassis is the steering, which for me doesn't track straight... (both in am and in 2.4ghz asf - for me it's more pronounced in the am chassis compared to the 2.4ghz)

i would really recommend, if possible, for you to try both variants before purchasing one - the am and 2.4ghz ma010 awd version... see what you like better... then you can make a decision based on what you like... if you like the 2.4ghz, the price difference may not be even a factor...

good luck and i hope you enjoy your search... :D
important thing is that you have fun... :D

gordonmoney
2009.06.07, 10:36 PM
2.4 is not just about racing. It depends on where you will be driving the car. I don't race my mini z(Just all my other, larger cars). I run it on a track I have in my basement. AM (any AM) is virtually undrivable there because of the almost constant glitching. It's not fun. FM is better but not perfect. 2.4(any 2.4) is totally glitch free, with a rock solid link between radio and car. It's an absolute blast to drive for hours at a time. So, if AM works perfectly in your environment(unlikely) then by all means, save money for other things. If it doesn't, a cheaper car you have trouble controling is not a bargain. As others have said, see if you can try both where you will be driving. You may not realize how bad the AM is until you A/B it with the 2.4.

S2k Racer
2009.06.08, 01:07 AM
Well the stock AM Crystals in my MR01 get CONSTANT interference, but when I used the Xmod Crystrals in the MR01 instead, it works interference free.

dxm2
2009.06.08, 11:25 AM
S2k, it looks like you've already made your decision. Why did you ask? I don't think its a stretch to say that AM is a doomed technology. If you look at the rest of the industry, and the advantages of the 2.4 technology, buying AM is not really long term strategy. And there many folks on the forum who would hook you up with a 2.4 tx for little or no cost. (me included).

But then again, it looks like you've made your decision. Go out and buy one of the thousands of AM ready sets that are sitting on the shelves. You don't need to hurry though, they will be there a long time.......

S2k Racer
2009.06.08, 09:48 PM
I haven't made my deccision, I'm just still trying to grip what's better about 2.4
Then there's also the fact that the 2.4 costs like twice as much.
So If I'm going to get a 2.4 I want to be more sure there's enough difference. :)

-J-
2009.06.09, 12:01 AM
The advantages of 2.4ghz has been mentioned numerous times in this thread, as well as numerous helpful links posted.

The best advice that anyone gave was to try both. It doesn't matter if everyone else likes something, if you don't when you're buying something for you.

Advantages of 2.4ghz:

- No interference whatsoever
- You're able to turn your radio on whenever you want without having to worry about inferring with someone else
- No frequencies and crystals to worry about
- Glitching almost non-existence
- Response is much more smooth, quick, and precise

Disadvantages:

- Slightly expensive, but worth every penny

Skv012a
2009.06.09, 12:10 AM
Longer effective range too.

You gotta stop thinking like Xmod toys here and more like hobby-grade RCs. They will cost you alot no matter what, be it radio or parts, but unlike toys they OFFER the latest and greatest tech so why not take advantage of that? I sold my DS to upgrade to 2.4 after playing w/ AM and hearing what 2.4 has to offer and I hardly regret my decision.

S2k Racer
2009.06.09, 04:14 AM
I wish I could try both but I can't.
I'm thinking I'll get an AM just becasue it's cheaper and later if I find a group to race with and I have $$$ to spare I'll sell the AM to one of my friends who just started Xmods and get a 2.4 ASF.

Also for the amount a 2.4 ASF cost I would start comparing it to a Tamiya XD

-J-
2009.06.09, 06:10 AM
Longer effective range too.

Yeah, I forgot about that one.

S2k Racer,

It's up to you.

herman
2009.06.10, 03:43 AM
I haven't made my deccision, I'm just still trying to grip what's better about 2.4
Then there's also the fact that the 2.4 costs like twice as much.
So If I'm going to get a 2.4 I want to be more sure there's enough difference.

The advantages of 2.4ghz has been mentioned numerous times in this thread, as well as numerous helpful links posted.

The best advice that anyone gave was to try both.

I wish I could try both but I can't. I'm thinking I'll get an AM just becasue it's cheaper...

:confused: a bit confused here.... but well if you say you can't then i guess you can't...

if you could just try both out, side by side... you will know the difference...

after which, you will be able to make a choice based on your experience... but it looks like you've made up your minde already...

anyway hope this helps and good luck...