PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Small radio for AM 27

Hood
2009.06.02, 09:36 AM
Looking for something small to teach my 4yr old to drive Zs. I also am looking for a Bolink Legend for our local track with a Novice Legend class to get her started.

Maybe an older Xmod radio on AM 27? Looking for something that isn't super heavy or too big for her little hands.

I tried the Mars R and she couldn't hold it, even with the Lipo. It would be nice to have digital trims, but I doubt that I will find one that hightech..

Thanks,
Hood

imxlr8ed
2009.06.02, 10:47 AM
Xmod radios only work with Xmods... different signal setup.
I would recommend a Gen1 MiniZ controller with a lightweight battery in it.

mleemor60
2009.06.02, 10:56 AM
How about a complete Xmod for training purposes.

pick
2009.06.02, 12:38 PM
I've got a complete Xmod in good shape with controller, 2 black skyline GTR bodies, and original carrying case that I taught my 5yr. old to drive with a year ago :eek:. They're not the best for racing, but good for learning :D. If interested, you could have it for $25 shipped via paypal.

Hood
2009.06.03, 09:08 AM
I was not sure about the Xmod controller, as I have one here and haven't been able to get it to work. I don't think it is 27mhz.. Thanks for the heads up, ED.

I am not sure the stock KT-2 or KT-5 is any smaller than the Mars.

Xmod would be good, does anyone know of a reciever that would work on 3 wire equipment for the little Xmod radio? I would really like my daughter to drive both cars with the same radio.

Hood

imxlr8ed
2009.06.03, 10:32 AM
I don't think it is 27mhz.. Thanks for the heads up, ED.

The Xmod is 27mhz... but it doesn't talk in typical RC signal fashion, some kind of proprietary RS toy language I'm sure.

A KT18 would probably be perfect for small hands, but do you want to risk a board burnout. Might be cool to build a loosened diff, heavily bumpered, stock motored beater 2.4 car for her... but that's certainly more expensive than an Xmod. But I doubt she'll ever burn it up if it's prepared right.

I rarely recommend them, but Xmod might be the way to go here. Maybe you could also check into one of those Revell Nascars too, I'm sure they perform better than the Xmod.

Hood
2009.06.03, 02:25 PM
I like the idea of the xmod to teach her in the garage on RCP, but is there no way for it to control a normal car, ie Legend?

I don't have a problem with getting her the 2.4 car, but still no way for it to drive a normal rc.

Hood

imxlr8ed
2009.06.03, 03:32 PM
Not that I know of... different programming altogether. RadioShack controllers talk to RadioShack receivers.

bermbuster
2009.06.03, 04:22 PM
I like the idea of the xmod to teach her in the garage on RCP, but is there no way for it to control a normal car, ie Legend?

I don't have a problem with getting her the 2.4 car, but still no way for it to drive a normal rc.

Hood

get the 2.4 kt18 and use the training mode.....

herman
2009.06.04, 08:14 AM
how about the mini-z i-series with the eco motor??? only read about it, haven't actually seen one... eco motor is much slower and with the 2 hour run time between charges, i figure that she'd give up or get bored way before the batteries die down...

kryten
2009.06.04, 09:01 AM
One of the guys at stafford club started out with an eco motored 02,very controllable and the batts lasted alomost all day!.
I dont know how technical minded you are,but i have seen hobby grade elecs fitted into an xmod tx(that would solve your tx size issues?) If you are interested pm me for the link(diff forum)