PDA

View Full Version : Clear Coat High Gloss Paint For Bodies??

MiamizFinest
2009.06.03, 01:24 PM
What clear coat do you guys use after painting a wihte body??? something high gloss???

Could anyone provide me with a Brand name??? that will work well?

Skv012a
2009.06.03, 02:31 PM
Testors or Tamiya, depending what paint you used. Tamiya for acrylics and testors usually for enamels.

MiamizFinest
2009.06.03, 02:37 PM
Testors or Tamiya, depending what paint you used. Tamiya for acrylics and testors usually for enamels.

I used tamiya for plastics paint, BUT there is no clear coat for plastics in stock at my LHS SO i was hopeing to find something good i could get from a hardware store or something similar.

mleemor60
2009.06.03, 03:21 PM
I have had exceptional success with Rustoleum clear lacquer over Tamiya and Pactra as well as Model Masters. It works very well for setting decals and shines quite nicely. I used it most recently on the car in my avatar photo. Click on it and check out the rest of the photos.

HammerZ
2009.06.03, 06:00 PM
Tamiya has two kinds of clearcoats the bottle stuff is acrylic, and the spray can is a laquer based. The problem with a laquer (well the Tamiya laquer) is over enamel or acrylic it lifts the basecoats, that is you end up with a crackel effect. The bottle clear seems to stay soft even after alot of time to dry.

I think it comes down to what you used as a basecoat.

dub599
2009.06.27, 09:20 AM
the testors clear coat works great. it was easy to sand and polish. it laid out really flat when painted