PDA

View Full Version : Stalled Mniz once LEDs installed

Drew
2002.06.19, 11:06 PM
I bought some lights for my miniz and have installed it on my car. The problem I am having is that when I race my car, my whole car shuts down after 30 sec and I have to wait like 10 seconds before the power comes back on.
I can still move my stearing wheel but the light are off and I can't move the car.

I'm guessing that the car over heats or something and I have to somehow increase the power output.

I wonder if adding a turbo booster will help?

Draconious has suggested to me to add another battery to the car but I'm looking for another solution.

HELP! Any suggestions?

W-tone
2002.06.19, 11:34 PM
How do you power the lights?
Check and double check your wiring.
Is it a kit or did you do it yourself?

Drew
2002.06.19, 11:35 PM
it is a kit. So I just hooked it up to the power

Draconious
2002.06.20, 12:35 AM
sorta sounds like dead batteries.. but I will asume those are charged... were did they intend the led kit to be plugged into? the bateryterminals? the motor terminals? or as older on attachment?

W-tone
2002.06.20, 01:31 AM
Yep, Drew.. Could you be a bit more specific, I've lost my chrystal ball.

Drew
2002.06.20, 02:38 PM
W-tone, I will try to be more specific.

The LEDs that I bought came from an aftermarket miniz parts supplier. The instructions that came with it didn't tell me very much except that the LEDs function between 3 and 7 volts. There are 2 wires simular to the wires from the motor that come out of a chip connecting the LEDs. I assumed that these wires should connect to the batery terminals on the chassis.

When I just run the car upside down with no resistance on the wheels, the car does not shut off. however once I put resistance on the wheels, the car shuts off after it runs for 30 secs.
After waiting for another 10 sec, the car starts running again.
When the car shuts off, I am still able to move the stearing wheel.

Again I guessing that something inside the car is over heated or some sort of fuse inside the car that prevent that much power usage.

Any ideas? I hope I was specific enough. Some of my terminology may be off.

Drew
2002.06.20, 03:00 PM
Oh Draconious the batteries are charged.

Draconious
2002.06.20, 06:11 PM
There are no fuses in the Mini-Z... if someting trips its a used and important component, most likely a interferance filtering CAPACITOR if the car continues to work after being over AMP'ed.

Although I did notice my Z before it was fried all the way with this 2nd Esc would sort of stop going like there was a saftey point for peak amps or someting...

Are you sure they goto the battery terminals? a lot of the brands screw in the same place as the motor wires... and come on when the motor has power etc.

There are 2 battery terminals per battery (well some are double).. and a red and black wire to the esc from the batteries, so wich 2 did you use?

Car still work with out the light kit?

What brand is it?

Drew
2002.06.21, 03:11 PM
Actually I think it's the motor wires I connected it to. I connected it to the two screws in the center of the car.

The Brand of the LED is RC Racing Model (should be a very common MiniZ Brand.)

And Yes the car still works with out the lights.

butler
2002.06.24, 07:41 AM
If the car works without the LED's. Then the LEDS aren't working, so you should try and have them replaced.

Have you had them long?

Maybe something in the LED circuit is getting too hot.

Drew
2002.06.25, 05:31 PM
Hi butler,
I don't think that the LEDs are defective. Cuz I bought two and the other one seems to have the same problem.
I have sort of found a work-around to the problem though.
I recently installed the x-speed motor and now I don't have the problems with the LEDs anymore.

Not really sure why but still would like to find a way it could work with a stock motor.

Karl.no
2002.06.26, 05:01 PM
Take power supply from the batteries.
Problem solved.

OzMax
2002.07.05, 04:58 AM
Now I haven't had a chance to review the schematic for the standard MiniZ, but I do know that the FETs used for the motor drive circuit are marginal at best in terms of what current capacity they can handle. It is possible (if you had connected the LED circuit to the motor terminals) that the average current load would have increased, thereby tripping the internal thermal shutdown of the FETs. (exhibiting the performance characteristics you talked about)

(Yup, most FETs do have a shutdown feature, but if you abuse them very quickly, it can't trip fast enough, or you get internal breakdown of the silicon, and they simply "fry".)

Oz

maxedoutcc
2002.07.09, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Drew
Hi butler,
I don't think that the LEDs are defective. Cuz I bought two and the other one seems to have the same problem.
I have sort of found a work-around to the problem though.
I recently installed the x-speed motor and now I don't have the problems with the LEDs anymore.

Not really sure why but still would like to find a way it could work with a stock motor.

drew:

the solution to your problem is to power the led's off of the battery. Plugging them into the esc will only draw more power away from your motor.

Drew
2002.07.10, 08:14 AM
maxedoutcc

Thanks for the info. :) Could you tell me what and where is the ESC and a FET? I'm still pretty new to MiniZ, not too familiar with some of the terms.

Drew.

OzMax
2002.07.10, 08:17 AM
ESC = Electronic Speed Control
FET = Field Effect Transistor

The FETs are sitting almist directly under the antenna on the F1. As far as I can tell, there is only 3 of them (shoudl be 4 is it uses a H bridge).

If you connect the LEDs to the motor terminals, you are hooking up through the ESC which is going through the FETs.

To hook up to the batteries directly you connect to a series of junctions elsewhere... (Currently doing something else right now.. will tell you where after I have finished)..

Oz

W-tone
2002.07.10, 10:29 PM
Oz:
In fact there are 8 fets, the 8-legged chip includes 2 FETs and there are 4 of those(HAT3004).
2 for the steering, 2 for motor control.

OzMax
2002.07.10, 11:23 PM
Ahh, good. I was wondering if each fet was split. As I mentioned before, I hadn't had a chance to really have a good look (or remobe the antenna post for that matter to see what was going on).

Thanks

Oz