PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed with Maintaining HFAY.

briankstan
2009.06.16, 09:01 PM
As alot of you are aware I have been really swamped at work and haven't been around on MZR Much lately.

I'm looking for someone that is willing to help me out with HFAY, in keeping up the website, and helping tabulate and post the results from month to month.

if you are interested and know a little about web design, the site is setup and I'll maintain that as best as possible. I really just need someone to keep on top of getting things posted up in a timely manner.

Let me know if you are interested and have the time to help out....

thanks.

imxlr8ed
2009.06.16, 10:27 PM
I'd do it but I have no sense when it comes to the websites... good to hear your busy at work though! With all the unemployment I've been seeing lately, it's a good thing to have!

Hood
2009.06.17, 08:34 AM
I can help if you would like..

Hood

briankstan
2009.06.17, 01:02 PM
thanks guys, those of you that posted and PMed me. here is a little more info so you will know what I'm doing.

the Website is in DotNetNuke, it's all setup and pretty straight forward in adding content. if your familiar with it, that's even better.

first of all everything is really kept in Excel. once it's updated I save as HTML code and then it's just a simple copy and paste. Most of the work is in calculated the points, and making sure that everything is correct. Adding to the website is farily simple and I can still maintain that, easy enough.

I'm sure there are people out there that could probably program something to make the process easier, but I don't have the skill or time to learn it right now.

briankstan
2009.06.26, 09:39 AM
thanks for your PM's. I think we have something in the works that will work out great.

it looks like David (mini-z) will be helping design a program that will greatly speed up the process of compiling times and getting times posted in a timely manner (I've been lacking at this lately I know).

D, I still owe you that excel file...

We'll work though this process and if we can get it nailed down it should be wonderful !.

for the time being I'll just go with that, if you see any questions from post on the forum that I haven't responded to, please help them out if possible. if not you can always have them email me. that would be much appreciated as I don't have the free time I did right now to be on the forum much :o

oh, best way to contact me is at my saltlakemini-z.com address.

thanks guys.

arch2b
2009.07.21, 09:43 AM
[repost from another thread but pertains to this subject]

we need to be conscious of the effort to bring in new help to manage this. all the desire in the world is not going to make up for the fact that one person can not manage all of HFAY on thier own.

do we have volunteers from brian's solicitation thread? could we not select/nominate persons to help manage specific HFAY events/series?

mini-z, can you elaborate on the new integration your designing into the website? more importantly, what are the milestones for this endevour? i just want to know if this is actually something we can expect to see vs. talking about it and if so, when?

hrdrvr
2009.07.21, 10:11 AM
I never respond or offered my help, as I dont know if there is a place for me in HFAY. I put a lot of effort allready into MiniZ racing, and event organization. I dont want to put effort into a series that doesnt have a place for my club.

I know there have been a few poeple mention that idea of a 3L series, in which Id be interested in participating, and helping maintain. The 3L series would get the track size up to close to what we normally run on, and it would be easy to get our guys interested in running in such a series. If that was the case Id be down for helping out in whatever way I could (and not limited to only helping with the L series).

Im a tad busy through the winter, and season 8 is allready underway, but if we want to shoot for something in 2010, Id be down for doing/learning whatever I need to learn to be an asset to HFAY in the meantime.

briankstan
2009.07.21, 11:37 AM
[repost from another thread but pertains to this subject]

we need to be conscious of the effort to bring in new help to manage this. all the desire in the world is not going to make up for the fact that one person can not manage all of HFAY on thier own.

do we have volunteers from brian's solicitation thread? could we not select/nominate persons to help manage specific HFAY events/series?

mini-z, can you elaborate on the new integration your designing into the website? more importantly, what are the milestones for this endevour? i just want to know if this is actually something we can expect to see vs. talking about it and if so, when?

What Mini-Z and I were talking about was creating a program that I could put the times into and it would automatically sort, calculate points and generate a html page that I can add to the HFAY Website simple enough. The most time consuming process is adding the points from race to race. There are not always the same people running from race to race and different racers are added during the season so it a progression.

Also getting everyone to submit their times in the correct format is another issue. It seems I get several variations of the times and need to update them prior to combining them to import into my excel spreadsheet.

Maybe we need a simple application that I can send to each club that would generate the text file. Those clubs using the Flipside timing software always have the format right because it generates it for them, so something to that effect.

I personally would love to run a 3 wide L setup. The limiting factor was the clubs participating and their available space. I’m not against adding or even changing the format to a 3 wide L setup as long as the dedicated clubs that are participating have the available space. If it would gain us some more clubs to participate I'm all for it.

I never respond or offered my help, as I dont know if there is a place for me in HFAY. I put a lot of effort allready into MiniZ racing, and event organization. I dont want to put effort into a series that doesnt have a place for my club.

I know there have been a few poeple mention that idea of a 3L series, in which Id be interested in participating, and helping maintain. The 3L series would get the track size up to close to what we normally run on, and it would be easy to get our guys interested in running in such a series. If that was the case Id be down for helping out in whatever way I could (and not limited to only helping with the L series).

Im a tad busy through the winter, and season 8 is allready underway, but if we want to shoot for something in 2010, Id be down for doing/learning whatever I need to learn to be an asset to HFAY in the meantime.

I know all to well the responsibilities of running a local club, I also run the Club here in Salt Lake. It can be very time consuming at times. I wouldn't even ask you to help if you weren't competing as it just wouldn't seem right. However if you were competing the help would be welcome for sure.

I had several offers for help, but I'm not sure how to proceed with it, If we can nail down the program above it would seem more realistic to do.

arch2b
2009.07.21, 12:56 PM
understood. but there is a lot of stuff that goes on behind HFAY that those not permitted in the judges area do not see. for each season (2 a year) there are manual updates, posting for tracking club registrations, posting for tracking club results submissions, posting for track selections, prize coordination and distribution and many other things such as constantly updating standings and layout results.
right now all of these are slipping. we all are understanding in why it's occurring but none the less it is.

i do not expect you alone to take on all this work as you do have family and many other commitments. my only motivation is to put hfay back on track to timely updates, resolution of issues, etc. if you can get all this done yourself, your a much better man than i :) if not, please don't hesitate to ask for assistance.

hrdrvr
2009.07.21, 01:03 PM
B, Im all for helping out with whatever I can if we join up. Im here for mental support and help even if we dont join up for the series :D

I think your idea of a worksheet (so to speak) that the club spokesman can just fill in with hte proper info would be ideal. It would atleast mean you get your info in the correct format.

It would be extra cool if it were a web based form, and the info could automatically be entered and results generated. Im not up in web design or function, but I know I could write such a program in excel that would be fairly easy to manipulate. I made a spread sheet for a local point series we had that calculated points standings for me. Grant it, we only had about 20 folks particpate through the series, but each week it was a different batch of racers, and the spreadsheet accounted for that. I had to add the new racers manually, but it was always the same steps, and coule probably be written into a program pretty easily.

Anyway, Ill sit back and wait to see what other type of input you get (on help and participation of a 3L seires), but know Im here watching, and willing to do whatever I can to make it possible!

byebye
2009.07.21, 01:04 PM
What about setting up the page for Judges and allowing them to plug numbers in and submit like that? Kind of like a page they have to fill out-

event
Club name
racer name
laps
time
motor

Kris

byebye
2009.07.21, 01:04 PM
B, Im all for helping out with whatever I can if we join up. Im here for mental support and help even if we dont join up for the series :D

I think your idea of a worksheet (so to speak) that the club spokesman can just fill in with hte proper info would be ideal. It would atleast mean you get your info in the correct format.

It would be extra cool if it were a web based form, and the info could automatically be entered and results generated. Im not up in web design or function, but I know I could write such a program in excel that would be fairly easy to manipulate. I made a spread sheet for a local point series we had that calculated points standings for me. Grant it, we only had about 20 folks particpate through the series, but each week it was a different batch of racers, and the spreadsheet accounted for that. I had to add the new racers manually, but it was always the same steps, and coule probably be written into a program pretty easily.

Anyway, Ill sit back and wait to see what other type of input you get (on help and participation of a 3L seires), but know Im here watching, and willing to do whatever I can to make it possible!

Yeah what he said! LOL!
Kris

arch2b
2009.07.21, 01:27 PM
i would prefer a web based method as well. reduces but does not eliminate opportunity for human error if your inputing directly into hfay. either via upload of race software results or manually inputing the names/times, etc.
if a judge has to log in, it could automatically assign the names to the club as well eliminating one layer of format.

one of the reminders that needs to be placed on the judges head however is consistency in reporting results. for example, racers names... i'm guilty of this myself and only adds to the work brian has to deal with. we've changed our format so i no longer have to deal with the confusion of screen names, changing screen names, etc. many other clubs are using names as well.

imxlr8ed
2009.07.21, 01:52 PM
prize coordination and distribution.

Speaking of which... Brian, did you get my email about Ryan's prize for last season?

briankstan
2009.07.21, 03:33 PM
Speaking of which... Brian, did you get my email about Ryan's prize for last season?

I didn't see it? where did you send it?

imxlr8ed
2009.07.21, 06:03 PM
I'm pretty sure I PMed you on here a while back...

Ah well, just PM me when he figures out which car he wants.

(that kid is building a better garage than mine! :D)

PMed you just now too... LMK!