PDA

View Full Version : Just getting into Mini-z

babybat
2009.06.20, 11:01 AM
I wanted and go for something a little more hobby class. I decided to go with an atomicbuilt Mini-z Element. It's got bearings, suspension upgrade, pn racing 07 motor all the stuff I know you need to get at first to be set. Then as a bonus it has lithium. The ready set i used was the Ferrari F430 Scuderia. Is that a good start? I'm thinking of getting a damper plate but I don't know yet. Car should be coming in in 10-15 days.

arch2b
2009.06.20, 11:35 AM
i'm not knocking the atomic built cars as i've read good things about them and know people happy with them but if your just starting out in mini-z, i would not have suggested an already modified car and especially not lithium.

your jumping right into all the speed and upgrade parts without a proper understanding of what the stock car offers. a stock car even is a competitive car with the right driver.

in general, i caution against spending large sums of money on entry cars. the resale value is never good for those that decide against it and an appreciation for what each upgrade part offers is priceless. if you've come up from xmods, than you've already gone through most of that in some form or another but there is a big difference between an xmod and mini-z in terms of handling.

i'm sure you will like the car you've bought. the scuderia is a nice looking car to top it off. enjoy it and let us know how you like it.

oh, welcome to mini-z's :) we look forward to seeing more of you here.

babybat
2009.06.20, 11:44 AM
thanks. I was thinking of going with a car that didn't have lithium but it was actually more expensive. I'm used to driving with liths but I know mini-zs handle differently. If lithium doesn't work out I have enough know how to change it back to stock batteries. I'm just really exited to finally be into hobby grade after messing with xmods for 2 years. I certainly hope mini-zs aren't as much of a headache.

arch2b
2009.06.20, 12:43 PM
it sounds like you have lots of tweaking experience, especially if coming from xmods;)

remember, the more complex the car, the more things you have to check, clean, tweak and maintain. you can easily get to the point to where the car is a headache but it takes a lot from my experience.

babybat
2009.06.20, 12:47 PM
it sounds like you have lots of tweaking experience, especially if coming from xmods;)

remember, the more complex the car, the more things you have to check, clean, tweak and maintain. you can easily get to the point to where the car is a headache but it takes a lot from my experience.
I guess I do have alot of experience with xmods. It's just kinda a different boat with mini-z it's gonna take a while to learn how to take it apart and tweak it with all the extra parts. The first thing I wanna try to do is a damper plate cause I know the back end's gonna break lose with those liths.

arch2b
2009.06.20, 03:13 PM
the biggest changes in hobby grade will be the precision of the electronics and less slop in it's construction

babybat
2009.06.20, 04:40 PM
Yeah, xmods elecs are pretty bad. I have a question. I couldn't find my car on the body chart at atomicmods. What offset is on it? I know it's 94 RM but I don't know what offset it is and I plan on buying an unpainted body to paint myself, I wanna make sure it fits without having to but anything else to change the offset. Another thing is what would be the better thing to buy, an aftermarket differential, damper plate, H plate, or rear shock?

xxmoderxx
2009.06.20, 06:53 PM
im starting mini-z to and i only got a mr01 with gpm billet parts. im used to driving xmods with lithium power and modded motors so i guess i can handle it.

color01
2009.06.20, 08:21 PM
Yeah, xmods elecs are pretty bad. I have a question. I couldn't find my car on the body chart at atomicmods. What offset is on it? I know it's 94 RM but I don't know what offset it is and I plan on buying an unpainted body to paint myself, I wanna make sure it fits without having to but anything else to change the offset. Another thing is what would be the better thing to buy, an aftermarket differential, damper plate, H plate, or rear shock?
What body is it? A lot of us nerds have the offsets of many bodies down by heart, lol... for example, the F430 bodies are all +1N/+1W on MR02, though you can sometimes do +2W in the back. :)

babybat
2009.06.20, 08:26 PM
What body is it? A lot of us nerds have the offsets of many bodies down by heart, lol... for example, the F430 bodies are all +1N/+1W on MR02, though you can sometimes do +2W in the back. :)

so that goes for ALL F430s? Cause I looked and the chart said the same thing but it was under "Yellow F430" and I have the one with the racing paint scheme. So would I be able to get away with running an Enzo, Skyline, or Lancer Evo X?

color01
2009.06.21, 05:13 AM
All F430's.

Enzo would be fine after you change the wheelbase: the Evo X or R34 Skyline (street version) would not work, not on an MR02. The R32 Skyline (street or race) will fit on the MR02, as will the JGTC R34 Skyline. ;)