PDA

View Full Version : MA-010 STD (type) Rear Set Up

Cherub1m
2009.06.25, 11:10 AM
Hi Everyone

Since we have a SAS, SAS Pro thread, I figured we need to have a MA-010 (AWD) STD Rear end set up thread.

Currently I have one MA-010 (AWD) set up with the SAS Pro and one with the STD Kyosho rear. I will be posting my STD rear set up soon.

I notice both systems have their pros and cons. I hope those that run the STD type (including STD Style PN, Atomic, 3Racing...etc) rear end will share there set up.

MantisMMA
2009.06.25, 02:03 PM
PN light blue rear springs
1 blue ,red and gold atm spacer on bottom of spring (maybe 2 blues depending on driving style)
1 blue ATm spacer on bottom of knuckle for droop
and kyosho 30k grease

Cherub1m
2009.06.26, 08:28 AM
Rear end set up
Springs:
light blue PN Pro springs
Spacers:
alum ATM spacers blue and gold (totaling .6mm) under springs
and blue PN spacer (I think they are .5 to .6mm) under the knuckle
barely any spring play and no pre-load of the springs
Knuckles:
Kyosho plastic knuckles 1.5 degrees
Rims:
+1 offset wide rims
Silicone Grease:
10K silicone grease on springs.
Tires:
Kyosho 20 degree wide tires
Diff:
ATM ball diffs
Toe Angle:
Standard B rear toe bar which is 0.5 degree of toe

Front end set up
Springs:
green PN AWD pro springs
Spacers:
alum ATM spacers blue and gold (totaling .6mm) under springs
and blue PN spacer (I think they are .5 to .6mm) under the knuckle
barely any spring play and no pre-load of the springs
Knuckles:
Kyosho plastic knuckles 1.5 degrees
Rims:
+3.5 offset narrow rims
Silicone Grease:
10K silicone grease on springs.
Tires:
Kyosho 30 degree narrow tires
Diff:
ATM ball diffs
Toe angle:
Tie rod #6 = 2.3 degree of toe (great for short track) but I need to reduce it for a larger track I considering Tie rod # 2 which is 0.5 degree of toe

Note: I may try 3 degree kyosho knuckles (I may get premature coning of the tires but oh well if the chattering goes away its worth it) to see if that reduces the chattering at high speed turns. I super glued the tires and I still get it (I didnt super glue the side walls never had to with the SAS set up maybe need to with the regular rear end)

Also, I may try your 30,000 weight:eek: Kyosho grease MantisMMA, maybe that will settle the rear end a little more.

Cherub1m
2009.06.30, 09:41 PM
Well, I tried a much thicker grease on the stock AWD rear springs and what a difference no more chatter. I have no idea what weight it was but got this grease used for 12 scale RC cars (Joey at Maj's shop brought our attention to this product, also Junior uses this on his 02's and AWD's). It's made by Wind Tunnel Racing Products and its called Shur Lube it comes in #s 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 (#6 being to most viscous) I used #5 that thing was thick but it still allowed nice fluid movement of the suspension and cured the evil chatter:D I still used the Mugen 10000 weight silicon grease on the front springs. Its definitely a plus for the stock rear end set up.

Cherub1m
2009.07.03, 03:41 PM
:D

Hmm... I guess with the PN Regional race coming up no one wants to give any set up tips. Oh well, maybe after the race :D.

z3zinho
2009.07.04, 10:14 AM
Last weekend we had our regional race for the PNRWC, so I have my setup from that race. I was aiming to race AWD stock, but since there were drivers missing in AWD mod, ended up running both classes with the exact same car, just swaping motors between runs.

I don't remenber all of my setup it from the top of my head, but the baseline is this... the rest will be posted eventualy on Reflex website as soon as I have time to look at the car and write it down...

Rear end set up
Springs:
Green PN Lowdown(Ver1)
Spacers:
Can't remenber, most likely i have no spacers/shims in the rear
Knuckles:
3 Racing 2 Degree
Rims:
+3.5 offset narrow rims
Silicone Grease:
Kyosho red stuf, don't know the wt. Should probably use stickier stuff...
Tires:
Kyosho 20 degree narrow slick tyres
Diff:
Kyosho Ball dif with RR delrin outdrives
Toe Angle:
Kyosho plastic 'C', it's around 1.5 toe in. You should be able to use the stock 0.5 toe in to try and get a litle more speed in stock.
Other: 3 Racing gear cases and 96mm RR conversion;)

Front end set up
Springs:
Green PN Lowdown(Ver1)
Spacers:
Can't remenber, but probably set to have litle or no droop
Knuckles:
PN 1.5 degrees
Rims:
+2.5 offset narrow rims
Silicone Grease:
Same grease as above...
Tires:
PN 8 Slick narrow tires
Diff:
ATM ball diffs ()
Toe angle:
Stock

Body: 350Z gt500
Gear Ratio: Stock - 21/29 (4.8 something i think) with the A3/B3 Spacers (Best gear ratio ever for stock ;))
In mod I was running a Xeric motor, but can't remenber the gear ratio...
Bat's : R1 750

Thats prety much it. Best lap in stock was 10.4, and did 54 laps in 10.01 in the final, in mod the best lap was a bit slow, around 10.8, but managed to do 58laps in 10 minutes flat.

For my driving the 96mm still lacked a bit of steering in the corner entry, but it compensated in overall stability while retaining most of the agility of the 94mm. Keep in mind that I tried the 96mm AWD first time the night before the race, so this setup has some room for improvement ;)

Cherub1m
2009.07.04, 07:11 PM
Hey Alberto

Great info man thanks for sharing. Its interesting you have same springs in front and rear. Also, I'll have to try that gear ration.

Cherub1m
2009.08.24, 01:53 AM
Well, for the past few months I've taken off the SAS Pro and been giving the stock rear end a long try and I am starting to like it. With some slight modifications I am able to get some very nice dampening in front and rear. I'll have to post some pic when I get some time.

bbastyr
2009.08.30, 11:08 AM
Are the PN Sway Bars worth the cost?

Cherub1m
2009.08.30, 11:41 AM
Are the PN Sway Bars worth the cost?

Well, I never tried them (i've tried the 3racing awd sway bars they were ok (I removed them) but in general front sway bars increase rear traction and rear sway bars increase front traction they both reduce body roll. However, I usually will try everything first before using sway bars, because adding sway bars to soon may hide/cover a bad set up (well, at least for this scale). Same with gluing tires, I think in the end you need to glue the side wall of the tires but, that is after you done your best to get a good set up first, then glue the side wall of the tires.

My advice work on your set up diligently first, then if you still need something extra, find out exactly what that extra thing is, then use an item/part that is made to solve that problem (it maybe sway bars or harder front or rear springs, you may need more front or rear droop or less front or rear droop...). I hope that helped.

PN makes some of the best parts for Miniz's it will always be worth the cost. The question is do you really need the part:D

dvsstrike
2009.09.18, 07:39 PM
rear set up
1.2 pre load
pn pro black spring
.7 rear droop
-2 deg knucles
.5 rear toe
pn 94/98mm alum upper and lower
no chatter at all