PDA

View Full Version : Overland 2.4gHz AFS Chassis?

Hammer
2009.07.19, 07:58 PM
Has anyone come up with a conversion for the Overland chassis to 2.4gHz AFS?

Seems like Kyosho has dropped the ball completely on this one...too bad. :(

Cheers,
John

kryten
2009.07.19, 08:01 PM
You could do it by altering the wire lengths on an ASF board to the AM boards lengths.

Hammer
2009.07.19, 08:36 PM
Hi, Jayce

Which AFS board will fit in the Overland chassis? Changing the wire length would be easy. :)

Cheers,
John

marc
2009.07.19, 09:13 PM
I asked the same question a while ago about the Monster Truck. And technically, aren't they the same chassis, just different suspension parts?
I agree, I wonder why Kyosho neglected to convert the Monster's and Overland's to 2.4. Seems they should have considering they made new bodies for both.

briankstan
2009.07.19, 11:54 PM
I've installed the 2.4 in my overland. I just used the MR-02 board. you will have to extend all of the wires if memory serves me correctly.

kryten
2009.07.20, 07:02 AM
Hi, Jayce

Which AFS board will fit in the Overland chassis? Changing the wire length would be easy. :)

Cheers,
John

Either should be fine as they are smaller than the AM boards.:)

Hammer
2009.07.20, 07:10 AM
Thanks Brian and Jayce. :)

I'll take a look at the shop here and see if I can pick up a 2.4 board and wire it up for my overland project...sounds like it should be pretty straight forward.

Cheers,
John

Hammer
2009.07.20, 05:12 PM
Hi guys,

I just picked up the last 2 MR-02 2.4GHz AFS/ICS PCBs David had in stock at the shop. :eek: :p

I'll post some pics of my conversion process to the overland chassis when I complete it. :)

Thanks again for the information Jayce and Brian...such a great group of people here! :D

Cheers,
John

kryten
2009.07.20, 06:37 PM
Glad to help :) I'm looking forward to seeing pics when you've done it too.

briankstan
2009.07.20, 11:36 PM
I could have been more help if I took pics as I did mine. :o just remember it will be a tight squeeze for the extra wire on the pot running though the front mount to the chassis. Give yourself plenty of wire because you don't want to have them to short.

RussF
2009.08.12, 09:46 AM
I found it easier to just extend the pot wires than to replace them. The challenge was the wire gauge I had at my disposal. If I had identical gauge/flex to the stock pot wires I would have run new, but as it turned out I just lengthened them a bit under the board inside the chassis. There just isnt enough room in the front steering box for anything but stock or very small wires. Especially since you are adding one more than it was made for. Good Luck.

kryten
2009.08.12, 10:17 AM
I found splitting a usb cable usefull.The wires are nice and thin and come in a variety of colours.

Hammer
2009.08.12, 12:54 PM
I could have been more help if I took pics as I did mine. :o just remember it will be a tight squeeze for the extra wire on the pot running though the front mount to the chassis. Give yourself plenty of wire because you don't want to have them to short.Thanks Brian, I've been a bit busy with my business lately...hope the get some time to work on this project soon.

I found it easier to just extend the pot wires than to replace them. The challenge was the wire gauge I had at my disposal. If I had identical gauge/flex to the stock pot wires I would have run new, but as it turned out I just lengthened them a bit under the board inside the chassis. There just isnt enough room in the front steering box for anything but stock or very small wires. Especially since you are adding one more than it was made for. Good Luck.Hey Russ, long time no hear. :p

I have quite a bit of (32, 28 & 24) gauge silicone wire on hand for wiring my micro helicopter projects...I'll see what works best.

I found splitting a usb cable usefull.The wires are nice and thin and come in a variety of colours.Hi Jayce, that's a good tip...I have quite a bit of USB cable as well.

I'll post some pics when I have something to report. ;)

Thanks guys for all of your help. :D

Regards,
John

Old Crow
2009.10.11, 04:55 PM
Would the new F1 board be a direct, or almost direct fit for a overland? I would think there would be plenty of wire for servo and pot, not sure though.

VAzRACER
2009.10.11, 06:16 PM
You would still need to make them longer. 02 and F1 wires are almost the same length. Also, I think that the monster/overland steering wires need to be swaped if using an 02 board, the steering is backwards compared to 02. AWD's steering has the same comfiguration as the overland but the wires are also too short. Hope this inst too confusing.:confused:

Old Crow
2009.10.13, 02:23 PM
You would still need to make them longer. 02 and F1 wires are almost the same length. Also, I think that the monster/overland steering wires need to be swaped if using an 02 board, the steering is backwards compared to 02. AWD's steering has the same comfiguration as the overland but the wires are also too short. Hope this inst too confusing.:confused:

Thanks VAz, more to it then I thought. I considered upgrading my Overland to 2.4, maybe I'll wait.

arch2b
2010.07.17, 10:11 AM
kyosho has a new video that i must say pulls me into these. i do love the overland but kyosho has only brought it up to the current 2.4 base. we don't know yet if it's even the mr-03 2.4 board/servo. kyosho still does not address the scale afficianado by failing to provide scale options or upgrades. we haev the normal performance stuff but no factory trail tires, etc. the true overland fan had to be resourceful in buying all kinds of odd parts to scavange for use. until kyosho addresses this segment of the market, i don't think it will ever really regain its popularity it had 6 years ago. we (the mod crowd) have taken the existing chassis/drivetrain about as far as it can go. 2.4 is appreciated but i'm likely still to hold out for a refreshed chassis. i do like the shiney white escalade kit though:cool:

LINK (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHT3Wnv-OGw&feature=player_embedded)

J-Milz
2010.07.17, 11:25 AM
Reflex racing installed the 03 board in my O/L and it works flawlessly! No pesky reverse delay. They used the existing servo instead of the brushless 03 motor.

arch2b
2010.07.17, 04:10 PM
would it not be better to use a more powerful servo motor with the overland? think of all those with mod wheels/tires trying to turn those wheels over bumps and just getting that wrrrrr sound we get with the stock servo. this is assuming the coreless motor is more powerful than the stock servo motor.

J-Milz
2010.07.17, 04:38 PM
The brushless motor did not fit without heavy mods. I would love to have installed that motor.