PDA

View Full Version : The SMZR CC Caravan Race...

Programmers
2009.07.20, 05:35 PM
Right, as discussed on Sunday, we're going to hold a caravan race in a few months time. No specific month yet as we still don't know how long it will take members to make a caravan.

Here are some ground rules to building your caravan:

It must look like a non-collapsable caravan.
It may only have two wheels.
Said wheels may not petrude past the outer walls of the caravan by more than 5mm each side.
It must be to scale (or very close) with the towing car.
It must attatch to the back of either a Mini-Z MR02, MA010, MR01 or MR015.
Your caravan must finish the race with the car.
Your caravan may not be metal or diecast.

Other rules are yet to be decided, but there wont be too many.

I was also thinking of rather than one/two 8 minute races, having 3-4 small races of 4 minutes. This will spread the fun out and keep the room running chaos to a minimum. Also, our caravans may not be able to withstand a solid 8m battering without some much needed super-glue assistance...

During the race, caravan ramming will NOT be discouraged and people shouldn't take the building and racing of their caravans too seriously, albeit for the CC.

I am open to suggestions, but keep in mind, the more simple this is, the more fun it will be!

oopster
2009.07.21, 07:05 AM
from what I've seen of caravan racing, I think we need an oval track.

BTW, what happened to these special races we we're supposed to be doing every few months.

Programmers
2009.07.21, 07:36 AM
The club is far too chaotic to organise something like that. We always just rush to get the CC out the way it seems. Never mind fancy races. It's a shame really.

As for the caravan race, I also thought an oval was a good idea.

digger
2009.07.21, 08:42 AM
dont think a oval is a good idea it means pepole will get up to much speed a simply track would be fun seems to work here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Asi99vZgVA

Tornado
2009.07.21, 02:45 PM
Love the idea of a caravan race.

I have worked out that a 2/3 birth caravan in Mini Z scale would be around the width of a Mini Z car x about 145mm long x about 68mm tall :D.

I agree with Digger...I think an ordinary track would be much more fun than an oval track (I still have not recovered from the last 2000 left hand turns race yet) (I liked the link Digger). Maybe a double size track like the one a couple of meets ago would be good?

A couple of suggestions...1, the caravan can not be one of those collapsed caravans which esentially are a box on wheels the size of a trailer, it has to look like a propper caravan and 2, the wheels can not protrude past the width of the caravan.

Love the idea...really looking forward to it.

oopster
2009.07.21, 05:12 PM
I'm just going off what I've seen before on this though, but was just think a track where you only really turn left.

oopster
2009.07.21, 05:13 PM
does it have to be a caravan, or anything that can be pulled behind on two wheels, as I was thinking the Britain's style toys might be an idea.

Programmers
2009.07.21, 05:25 PM
A couple of suggestions...1, the caravan can not be one of those collapsed caravans which esentially are a box on wheels the size of a trailer, it has to look like a propper caravan and 2, the wheels can not protrude past the width of the caravan.
Cheers dad. I'll add those to the rules. :)

dont think a oval is a good idea it means pepole will get up to much speed
Okay cool. A regular track it is... Nothing too slow though. Perhaps a nice fast HFAY track would be good...

does it have to be a caravan, or anything that can be pulled behind on two wheels, as I was thinking the Britain's style toys might be an idea.
Yeah, it has to be a caravan but you may use a toy...

Me and my dad are building our own. They're not as realistic looking but it's damn good fun!

Programmers
2009.07.21, 05:27 PM
It is also worth a mention that during the race, caravan ramming will NOT be discouraged and people shouldn't take the building and racing of their caravans too seriously, albeit for the CC.

kryten
2009.07.21, 07:17 PM
What a brilliant idea! :D I think i'll have to see if i can make this race.Will let you know when you post specifics.

Programmers
2009.07.23, 04:04 PM
I used an old Ferrero Rocher box and an autoscale chassis to make my caravan... Some lessons learnt this evening:

Make your caravan low and keep a firm connection between the car and the van...

http://staffordminizracers.co.uk/video_gallery/caravan_testing

Also, another new rule we thought of tonight... No metal caravans!

kryten
2009.07.23, 04:48 PM
I think you should run the same rules as 1:1 you must start towing a caravan and finish towing something(even if all thats left is the chassis)

575racer
2009.07.23, 04:48 PM
i may knock something together, no word on date?

oopster
2009.07.23, 06:45 PM
Well I've got something in mind to prevent being rammed from the back mu-ha ha! At least, if you do ram me from behind, you won't benefit from it lol

Programmers
2009.07.23, 06:47 PM
Lol, I was thinking more of "get 'em while they're down".

I would also like to say...

this race will be in September's meet.

That's ages for everyone to get a van together. Maybe even get a practice run on the track in the August meet...

oopster
2009.07.23, 06:51 PM
Something that's not been addressed, and I wouldn't mind running it, no ones said whether it'll be an 02 type, or F1

Programmers
2009.07.24, 11:57 AM
It's mentioned in the very first post of this thread... :p

arch2b
2009.07.24, 12:40 PM
as soyverde about his connection from his mobile barbeque as it seemed to offer the best range of movement and made rollover non existant.
http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/500/medium/IMG_1156.JPG

trailer racing is lots of fun so long as everyone is there with that understanding. your going to wreck into eachother, your going to knock eachother over. just go into it with that in mind and you'll have fun.

i look forward to seeing video from your race!

Programmers
2009.07.25, 09:52 AM
That's awesome!

I decided to stick with my van in the spirit of things...

kryten
2009.08.08, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the reply's to mine and Lee's posts regarding attending this event.

Programmers
2009.08.09, 04:01 AM
Don't think it was anything personal, Jayce. I can't count the times nobody has replied to any of my or other peoples posts. You're very welcome to come and it'd be good to see you again. :)

Programmers
2009.09.21, 05:53 AM
Caravan Race Pictures! (http://staffordminizracers.co.uk/picture_gallery/2009/gallery_09-20)

Dusty Weasle
2009.09.28, 02:23 AM
Good job guy, looks like fun.

At Mini-AZ we were ultimately unable to get our collective acts together for our "Great Caravan Rally", :rolleyes: but we did get a few trailers built. So in case its useful for you here's the post of how I built mine:

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=361732#post361732
(There's also a link in there to download the template PDF)

It was all about getting the weight low, and came in at 41.1g. Stiff paper shell on a 1.5mm thick posterboard chassis. I should have put the hitch through the body though, as mounted below it is too close to the ground leaving only 1-2mm clearance.

Programmers
2009.09.28, 04:02 AM
Cheers for the link! I love your rules... I think I'll do something similar to those next year within our club. Also, very nice caravan. Might have a crack myself! :D