PDA

View Full Version : R. Takahashi FC3S

color01
2009.07.25, 06:04 AM
The leader of Project.D bit the bullet and got some Volk RE30's for his famous touge machine. About time too, those white wheels were getting dull. :p

http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/8625/img0372.jpg

http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/316/img0373j.jpg

http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/1024/img0366q.jpg

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/3937/img0368a.jpg

The rear tires do rub a little bit, so I'm waiting on some thinner rear axle bearings to arrive, which will reduce the rear width 0.5mm per side. Till then, the FC looks good on the shelf. :)

This car is officially a "mini-class" racer (90mm wheelbase or shorter) but since I'm not a frequent racer I've got the tires taped up for a third attempt at creating a consistent 1/28 RWD drift car.

The "tires" are 3M Scotch up front (2 layers) and vinyl electrical tape in back (3 layers). The electrical tape will be receiving multiple coats of WD40 to soften up the material for more grip. Grooving with an Xacto knife has shown to help, but then I have the problem of the cut, individual rings of tape slipping off the next time I apply WD40. So I'll avoid grooving this time around, and just sand and WD40 the "tires" to adjust traction.

I've been adjusting the differential tension nut by increments of less than 2 degrees, but although a loose diff keeps the car more manageable most of the time, a locked diff is still more consistent -- and above all else a RWD drifter will need consistency. So I will probably need to delve into my transmitter adjustments to really get this thing to work.

Anyways, stay tuned! :)

okoye
2009.07.25, 06:06 AM
you're doing it wrong..... drifing will work if you have an mm setup.

then it handles like its not rwd, but so much better

dvsstrike
2009.07.25, 07:35 AM
look real close its a mm set up

okoye
2009.07.26, 11:55 AM
didn't see :/

marc
2009.07.26, 12:07 PM
RWD drifting is difficult at this scale, but with careful throttle and steering control it can be accomplished. My brother managed to do it back in the MR01 day's. AWD just makes it easier to drift cause you have more power and control. However, I think once you've done it with RWD, that just proves you have more skill than somebody using a lazy AWD set up.
Not saying anything against AWD's at all, they are a lot of fun for this purpose, just saying if you can achieve it with RWD, all the more realistic! Would love to see some videos of your practicing! Sounds like a cool project and I wish you luck with it!

One thing I've never understood about all this, is why is it so much easier to drift RC cars if you have an AWD, versus the real deal? Real full-scale AWD's can not drift well unless they have gob-smacking amount of HP to overcome the grip capabilities of the AWD. So, it's a little strange that at this scale, AWD is what's needed for drifting and full-scale, RWD is what's needed.

color01
2009.07.27, 12:10 AM
Ken Block Gymkhana is basically the same as our AWD drifting. If you gave him more slippery tires it'd be identical save for scale.

RWD drifting at this scale is tough because there's no seat-of-your-pants feedback, it's purely memorization + reflexes. Plus, different surfaces make the tires react VERY differently. Right now this car is controllable on carpet, but undriveable on tile/concrete (the surface that I ultimately prefer drifting on). I need less front grip still, so I may apply some fluorine oil to the front tires and see if that works. They work like magic on my kingpins, hopefully scotch tape doesn't melt. :D

I have a few practice videos on Youtube from years ago, the car was a barely-tuned MR02-MM with the M3 body. I used rubber rear tires back then though, which made the car much easier to drive. But GPM 55's are all but gone so I want to find an easily available solution. ASC tires/Kyosho 50's are a possibility but I think I need to put a huge groove into them (taking away maybe 5mm of the middle part of the tire) before they'll break traction easily.

More updates soon. :)

color01
2009.08.27, 02:16 AM
http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/6799/img0436.jpg

And in the end, I had to resort to GPM 55 slicks. :rolleyes: I spent several hours at Inside Line Racing today trying to tune this thing to work on the RCP, but it just refused to cooperate... and then I came back home and swapped in the tried-and-true GPM 55's. For the next 5 minutes this car felt absolutely perfect, I completely forgot I was driving a RWD and could even focus on my cornering line, meanwhile the car was sliding sideways at AWD-like angles, at full countersteer, and skittering and jumping over the ruts in my tile floor like nothing happened. :eek:

Of course the magic wears off at midnight, and so I was left with a still great but no longer godly RWD drift car on the floor. Once I find out what makes it tick, this car will finally meet the original goals (consistent RWD drifting) and I can have my fun surprising the Mini-Z drifters in NorCal when I flip the FC3S upside-down... :cool:

A list of current car and radio settings: if you guys find anything better let me know!

Car:

90mm wheelbase MR-015
Tires: F: 3M Scotch tape / R: GPM 55deg slick
PN Racing 90mm Mid Mount rear pod
Motor: PN Stock 70t, gearing 11/52
Disk damper: PN Gold springs (Extra hard), 200wt oil
Ball diff: PN ceramic ball diff, loose (slips a bit on-power)
Front spring: Atomic RCP: Green (Extra hard)
Front camber: 0
Front toe: 1deg in
Bearings: Reflex (the front bearings have to be GOOD to avoid spinning out)

Radio:

KO Propo EX-1 UR
Module: KO Propo RF-901SM ASF for Mini-Z
Steering Travel: 55
Steering EPA's: L 96 / R 94
Steering Punch: 0
Steering Curve/Expo: +40%
Steering Quick-Response: +20%
Steering Speed: 100%
Throttle EPA's: F 100 / R 70
Throttle Punch: 0
Throttle Curve: 0