PDA

View Full Version : Mini Z in SoCal??

Timmig
2009.08.05, 07:20 PM
WELL -- I'm new to Mini Z--but an OLD racer-- Matshushima's in Upland is a great little place to race. We need to get it going there again, while in Lake Forest--Gyro Hobbies is willing to put in a Mini Z track in their new warehouse facility.
Soo--- anyone in SoCal interested in the fastest inexpensive RC Cars around??
These cars can be really fun even in their stock condition-- and very raceable. For less than $300- you could be completely race ready with Car // Transmitter--batteries / tires / spares and a charger. That's really reasonable for a start up race program. Of course, it only gets more fun with better hop-up parts and modified motors to go faster than you thought possible. But it's really fun at the stock level too.
Soo--scrap some bucks together--or dig out your old cars--and come race with us!!
T

Timmig
2009.08.08, 12:39 AM
Hey Grant----iF you want to have some fun Sunday afternoon--- it appears I can make it out your way again!! I may be able to have the Gyro Hobbies guys come out as well to check out your track and ask you questions. They want to get a "rental program" going like you've talked about. They have never seen Mini Z in action-- so it would be good for them to see what you've got started.
I already have 5 more committed --(Bruce) and his crew for OC-- to get started racing in Lake Forest--and I would hope we can get a series going with your track included. One race at Gyro---next one in Montclair! Get some Mini Z excitement started and we will all have more fun!!!
T

alanfujii
2009.08.09, 12:54 PM
I was able to stop in last night at Inside Line Racing. It was their Saturday Race night. The place was hopping! In the front they had the rental track and it was filled with kids and their parents. The back track had about 12 to 14 racers with the majority in the novice category. I had only brought a newly acquired AWD mounted with a Golf body that I purchased from Fast Pace Racing. Needless to say that combined with a very poor driving ability had me last in the novice qualifying race.
I only had the two Dnanos from home and so I went looking in the glass case up front to find something that I could drive and get back at these little kids that thump me so bad. I found a 2.4hz chassis and a unpainted white Ferrari body. I wasn't able to glue the body tabs quick enough on the body to get in the Novice race. By that time my wife and daughter showed up and wanted to go. I'm here on a family vacation and trying to find time for an activity that only Dad is interested in is tough. So I had to lick my wounds and make a hasty retreat. I'll be back! and regain my revenge against these 10 to 12 year olds! Hey Timmig when is that track in Lake Forest coming up? I need to practice really bad.

Timmig
2009.08.09, 09:46 PM
HEY Alan,

Cool that you got some time in while on a family vacation!! The Lake Forest Track should come in quickly--but until then if you want to carpool out to Grant's track-- we're going to be racing Wed nights and Sunday afternoons for now!!! We had 5 guys today at Matshushima's--nice to meet Bruce -Opey--and sorry--I can't remember the last guy--I had to leave before he started racing.

I've got my stock car and modified car working really well with Grant's expert help in tuning!! I got the stock car down in the 6 second range--the track record is 6.4-- so my driving is slowly coming around!! The modified car works even better now with the PAN style body on it. It's BIG FUN!!!

I'm hoping we can get the Gyro guys down to the track on Wed night to check out what MIni Z's about!! It will help a lot for them to see first hand what the setup is about.
For now---thanks Grant---let's RACE GUYS!!!
Mini Z Is making a COMEBACK!!!!

alanfujii
2009.08.10, 03:57 PM
Well I can't make this Wednesday, still on vacation but Sunday might work. I'll email you when I get back. I'm working on my wife to see if I'll get a chance to visit All-Speed Hobbies and see their huge track. I got to really tread lightly since I was forced to interrupt our vacation by flying back to Orange County for a meeting. It's a real quick in and out, I'll be back up in San Francisco this evening and taking the family out to a nice restaurant to make up.

Timmig
2009.08.10, 11:47 PM
Have fun Sunday--I'll be up in Pismo squirting sand with my boys!! I'll be back for the next Sunday runs!! Hopefully with the new 2.4 F-1 cars!!
T

Timmig
2009.08.12, 12:14 AM
OKay---If I can get all my errands done tomorrow--I'll be down at Matshushima's for some more hot laps with my stocker and modified cars--now equiped with Pan Car bodies!! These babies are handling great now--+ I should have two new F-1 2.4 cars to test as well!! If those Az boys and the Detroit crew can get them working--then I should be able to also!!!

Spoke to the local Kyosho rep-- he's saying they want to move Mini Z racing onto carpet--that it's more consistant for traction the the RCP stuff. Anyone have any feedback on Mini Z carpet racing?? I'm all for trying anything that works.

Come on out tomorrow --(WED) Night guys!! Let's play!!!
Tim

yasuji
2009.08.12, 01:47 AM
Spoke to the local Kyosho rep-- he's saying they want to move Mini Z racing onto carpet--that it's more consistant for traction the the RCP stuff. Anyone have any feedback on Mini Z carpet racing?? I'm all for trying anything that works.

i can say from experience after driving @ BCR on there indoor carpet track that it is not that bad.....i remember driving with 10 scale sedans and keeping with them in the corners.....
BUT.....as of rt now the mini z community is racing on RCP at almost every level all over the world
and as for inconsistency.....i dont see a problem with it.....every track has its own characteristic like real racing.....you wont use the same tires or set up @ auto club raceway as you would @ road america....
jus my $0.02

bermbuster
2009.08.12, 04:35 AM
OKay---If I can get all my errands done tomorrow--I'll be down at Matshushima's for some more hot laps with my stocker and modified cars--now equiped with Pan Car bodies!! These babies are handling great now--+ I should have two new F-1 2.4 cars to test as well!! If those Az boys and the Detroit crew can get them working--then I should be able to also!!!

Come on out tomorrow --(WED) Night guys!! Let's play!!!
Tim
i dont see carpet being any more consistant than rcp......
The Atomic Races in Asia are on carpet and the US racers who competed had issues finding the magic set up when they went over for the world championships.
Get the Kyosho rep to sponsor some Kyosho Cup racing in the US.....
Changing the track surface will divide racing/racers it will hurt mini z racing
Right now all the Big races are held on RCP.....
What type of carpet does Kyosho want us to run on???

minittrackmann
2009.08.12, 08:23 AM
Prob ozite.. I've always wanted to run on that recycled rubber though. The sweeds look likke they have a lot of fun with their pan cars on that stuff!

Timmig
2009.08.12, 11:27 AM
"Changing the track surface will divide racing/racers it will hurt mini z racing
Right now all the Big races are held on RCP.....
What type of carpet does Kyosho want us to run on???" quote!

That's the one thing I pointed out--that worldwide--RCP is the current standard that I could see. And one of the things I want to use at Gyro and Matshushima's is the SAME surface so that we CAN use it to compare our times A-laa- the HFAY OLPS Systems to help PROMOTE Mini Z participation. We can have a worldwide accepted timing comparison if we're all running the same circuits on the same surface.

I"m certainly willing to see if the carpet DOES in fact work better. But I DO have experience racing on it in 1/12 scale-- and it was fun!!
Just looking to see what the Mini Z experienced think also.
T
_

mleemor60
2009.08.12, 11:48 AM
Carpet traction for MiniZ's in a word is different. Not bad. Not good. Just different. Rubber tires with rare exception unless incredibly soft just didn't work well. The Atomic AW series tires worked wonderfully well but also had a nearly unacceptable wear rate.

I would bet that the carpet that Kyosho would want would be what they are currently using for the Dnano tracks at HTUSA. It works pretty good but is a little fuzzy textured. A dnano right out of the box will work quite well on RCP but will require a considerable amount of tinkering to hook up equally on the carpet that they chose. Again. Not good, not bad, just different.

Some inconsistencies are helpful as a training tool. Learning the ins and outs of setting one up should be part of the process unless it gets out of control with a "set up of the week" because the noob's start spending money on what the hot dog's say they are using. Get the best guy's to teach and it will grow.

Timmig
2009.08.13, 07:30 PM
I think you hit it on the head with -- "it's just different"!! And I've heard the wear is much worse on carpet as you have to go with softer compounds.:eek:
And that's one HUGE advantage I've found on RCP--my setups are staying VERY consistant with nearly NO wear!!;) I'm getting at least 6 to 8 battery packs through my cars--INCLUDING modified without having to worry about tires at all!! That's outstanding too--with tires only $3.99 a set--this racing is REALLY reasonably priced!!
The batteries too last very well and stay strong for a good 10 minutes before tapering off into the 15 minute level through to 20 minute run times.

The BIGGEST thing I want to do is use the HFAY OLPS Systems to help PROMOTE Mini Z racing and that will require the use of RCP Track!! We can't be using a totally different surface than the rest of the world of HFAY! :rolleyes:

I'm still waiting to see a comparison-- but so far--the Kyosho people have been silent. And there IS no SoCal Mini Z racing at the moment BUT Matshushima's on RCP-- you'd think they'd be HAPPY that there is a dedicated group of racers willing to setup a track and PROMOTE Mini Z racing!!!:D
FWIW
Tim

Timmig
2009.08.14, 07:36 PM
At Grant's today got the stock car and modified cars working great!!! Grant is MOVING the raceway into the Montclair Plaza Shopping Mall next to Sears!!!
Come race with us after Sept. 1st!!! He'll have the track up and running.
Tim

Timmig
2009.08.14, 07:37 PM
GOt the F-1 cars working better--but these dont' work nearly as well as the MR02 cars.
FWIW
Tim

yasuji
2009.08.14, 07:53 PM
At Grant's today got the stock car and modified cars working great!!! Grant is MOVING the raceway into the Montclair Plaza Shopping Mall next to Sears!!!
Come race with us after Sept. 1st!!! He'll have the track up and running.
Tim

we will be opening 1/28 raceway in Montclair Plaza Shopping Mall on Sept 1 2009