PDA

View Full Version : offset

oopster
2009.08.24, 10:31 AM
Right, Digger mentioned offset wheels to me the other day, and my question is

"What the frak is off-set wheels?" I know camber and caster and most other terminology, but this one's got me. I've tried looking at photos on the web to see if I can notice any difference, but they're probably all the same photo anyway.

On another note, I'm looking at increasing my toe-in on my 02 and f1, and it looks like the maximum ammount on a toe bar that I can get is a 2+/-.
Are these the only sizes available?

TannerT
2009.08.24, 12:19 PM
Here is a diagram of offset:
http://www.rcatomic.com/atomic/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/MR-02-Front-Rim-Offset.jpg
Y= negative offset X= positive offset

From Wikipedia:
The offset of a vehicle's wheel is the distance between the centerline of the wheel and the plane of the hub-mounting surface of the wheel. It can thus be either positive or negative, and is typically measured in millimeters. Offset has a significant effect on many elements of a vehicle's suspension, including suspension geometry, clearance between the tire and suspension elements, the scrub radius of the steering system, and visually, the width of the wheel faces relative to the car's bodywork.

Zero Offset - The plane of the hub mounting surface is even with the centerline of the wheel.
Positive Offset - The plane of the hub mounting surface is shifted from the centerline toward the front or outside of the wheel. Positive offset wheels are generally found on front wheel drive cars and newer rear drive cars.
Negative Offset - The plane of the hub mounting surface is toward the back or brake side of the wheel's centerline.

"Deep dish" wheels typically have negative offset or a very low positive offset.

To maintain handling characteristics and avoid undue loads on bushings and ball joints, the car manufacturer's original offset should be maintained when choosing new wheels unless there are overriding clearance issues.

About the toe in/out, the highest the 02 and F1 can have is 2. The AWD can have 3 in the rear (I think).

oopster
2009.08.24, 12:31 PM
That makes sense now. Now just to find out what works best for me :), possibly negative for the 02, but as possitive as poss for the F1

TannerT
2009.08.24, 01:11 PM
Different bodies require different offsets. What body are you using? Kyosho is usually pretty generous with there offsets, so you could probably fit a higher offset. Like the Lexus SC430, you could fit a +1 front and +1 rear, when Kyosho recommends +0 front +0 rear. I'm not sure about F1 offsets though, I don't have one so I don't know much about them.

oopster
2009.08.24, 01:19 PM
I'm currently running an enzo, but thinking of switch to the red bull audi

kryten
2009.08.24, 01:40 PM
F1 do not have offset wheels avail,just stock. If you are looking to run wider offsets,then the enzo is wider than the audi.

color01
2009.08.24, 02:36 PM
Or rather, Kyosho's pretty inconsistent with offsets... heck the AE86 trueno easily takes 2mm more offset than stock, while the A4 DTM and McLaren F1 LM can't take anything more at all (safely).

A4 DTM is 0N/0W btw, make sure of that if you're buying new wheels. :)