PDA

View Full Version : HFAY BTE # 3 (planning)

briankstan
2009.08.24, 11:27 AM
Well I'm not going to let this one get behind. :o I've already been asked about it.

Lets get planning this and nail down the track layout. We are still limited by the same constraints as before for available space.

post up you layout ideas. :)

here were the 2 tracks we have used.

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=27889&stc=1&d=1251132485

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=27890&stc=1&d=1251132485

hrdrvr
2009.10.30, 08:42 AM
I just wanted to bring this up to the top and see who all was planning on paricipating. Ill also offer up any help I can be for Brian to get this thing going without too much burden on him.

Ive drawn up a couple of layouts I through together with out much thought. The room isnt condisive to too much, but I think Ive come up with creative layouts, for not putting much thought into it. I was trying to get something that seemed a lot different than the last two, but its tough.....

Ill see what I can do about getting these posted up. They are in .dwg format, so Ill have to get them converted some how.

briankstan
2009.10.30, 09:36 AM
I just wanted to bring this up to the top and see who all was planning on paricipating. Ill also offer up any help I can be for Brian to get this thing going without too much burden on him.

Ive drawn up a couple of layouts I through together with out much thought. The room isnt condisive to too much, but I think Ive come up with creative layouts, for not putting much thought into it. I was trying to get something that seemed a lot different than the last two, but its tough.....

Ill see what I can do about getting these posted up. They are in .dwg format, so Ill have to get them converted some how.

can you send me the dwg files. I can get them posted from the cad drawing I have a quick macro that I created.

hrdrvr
2009.10.30, 10:26 AM
Yeah, I can email them to you, no problem. Is it the email addy thats on the HFAY site that you want them sent to?

briankstan
2009.10.30, 11:18 AM
Yeah, I can email them to you, no problem. Is it the email addy thats on the HFAY site that you want them sent to?

Use my briankstan.at.saltlakemini-z.com address please. thanks.

hrdrvr
2009.10.30, 12:22 PM
I sent an email out. LMK when you get it :D

Oh, Ive also got a question. The guy who won stock class in hte last event "DREW", was from Matsushimas. There was no one else on the list from there. Did he run by himself?

JOE KROSNER
2009.11.10, 10:25 AM
So with the 2 previous layouts do we have something for this season yet. I think might fit the other clubs space limitations.

Joe Krosner

briankstan
2009.11.10, 11:31 AM
So with the 2 previous layouts do we have something for this season yet. I think might fit the other clubs space limitations.

Joe Krosner

that might fit, we aren't using the expansion, so the straight would just be 2 tiles wide.

Can the other clubs chime in and see if it will fit...

Programmers
2009.11.10, 12:31 PM
we ran the PNWC qualifier track recently. That was an excellent track... :D

hrdrvr
2009.11.10, 12:32 PM
Joe, B, If you go 2 wide on the straight we can handle it. We can only go 9 wide, but can get up to 20 legthwise.

If you dont want to use any exapnsion tiles, well need to change the little complex coming onto the finish line straight. There is a blank tile between those hairpins as well. Im cool with that, but I dont know that every one has spare blanks.

Tom, I ran at 2 different PN regionals last year, as well have having a version of that layout in our track room (and the exact layout at the hobby shop) for most of last year. I would prefer it if I never have to run it again, lol.

briankstan
2009.11.10, 12:52 PM
Good catch, I didn't see it at first. I think we'll just need to see if everyone else has the room for it.

We don't have a problem with the size at all.

lfisminiz
2009.11.10, 03:36 PM
Ill try to wake Ed up to chime in here.:rolleyes:;)

BrianMidnight
2009.11.10, 03:37 PM
StaffordRacersUK can fit it in

imxlr8ed
2009.11.11, 08:36 AM
Huh.... what's goin on?... who is that?

Ok... I'm up. ;)

Yeah... hate to be the one restricting everyone else but the last layout is pretty much as big as we can get here in my basement. There is also that issue of the pole too so I can't have a straight on the other side opposite the backstretch... there has to be a turnset there. I'll find the image and post it up soon. (found it!)

briankstan
2009.11.11, 08:48 AM
Huh.... what's goin on?... who is that?

Ok... I'm up. ;)

Yeah... hate to be the one restricting everyone else but the last layout is pretty much as big as we can get here in my basement. There is also that issue of the pole too so I can't have a straight on the other side opposite the backstretch... there has to be a turnset there. I'll find the image and post it up soon. (found it!)

I think the first track shows where your pole is in that layout.

briankstan
2009.11.11, 09:00 AM
here are a few designs the hrdrvr sent to me. I'm not sure if the last one will work, but the first 2 should. I like the first one personally.

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28499&stc=1&d=1257951230

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28500&stc=1&d=1257951230

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28501&stc=1&d=1257951230

tudor_47
2009.11.11, 04:00 PM
The first one looks fun!
When will the layout be set firmly so that we can start planning?
oh, bye the way what are the target dates for this?
I need to book a place to put the track.
Thanks!

briankstan
2009.11.11, 04:34 PM
The first one looks fun!
When will the layout be set firmly so that we can start planning?
oh, bye the way what are the target dates for this?
I need to book a place to put the track.
Thanks!

this will be open to run any date in the month of December. Times will be posted 1st week of Jan.

We can probably finalize the track layout in the next week or so.

hrdrvr
2009.11.11, 04:54 PM
Personally I like my second one best, as its the most techinical. The first one would probably bring the closest racing though.

I like my third one, as well as Joes, but they both just seem too similar to the last two layouts. I threw those first two out there to kind of try and mix it up a little, so one of them would surely get my vote, if it came to that.

chad508
2009.11.11, 09:26 PM
im with landon i like the second one also.

Programmers
2009.11.12, 02:54 AM
I think I like #1.

briankstan
2009.11.12, 07:41 AM
If anyone else has any ideas for tracks get the posted up a before monday. then I can either post up a poll or just pick one and get the HFAY site updated with the info.

thanks.

Hood
2009.11.12, 07:51 AM
I never like the idea of having a S turn at the end of a long straight.. Great way to break cars and have pileups..

hrdrvr
2009.11.12, 07:56 AM
All of the layouts I designed were designed around running clock-wise, so the S-turns (chicanes) are at the beginning of the straight, not the end.

I used to hate having a slow techinical turn at the end of the fast sections of track. Ive changed my opinion on that recently though. The more Ive watched 1:1 scale road course racing, the more tracks I see with the slowest turns right at the end of the fastest straight. This makes for good braking zones and overtaking areas. With our group, running clean is of the utmost importance, so we all try and do whatever possible to evade any large collisions (especailly at the end of the straight). I almost always have hard braking zones at the ends of fast sections now, and it makes for more interesting (and realistic) racing IMO.

briankstan
2009.11.12, 08:02 AM
for the Big track we only run clockwise so it shouldn't be a problem, remember we do run the 3 classes for the BTE, Stock Racer, Stock F1, and 1/28th scale Open. :D

imxlr8ed
2009.11.12, 08:39 AM
I like the second one because of the entry onto the straight and it's using more real estate as well. Also, with that amount of turns it will make for more and possibly cleaner passing opportunities.

The first one is cool but they are probably going to be like 5 second lap times (well... maybe).

Either way... I really hate the fact that I am the limitation here as far as layout size. If some feel that they can accomplish a larger layout, then go for it! I'm sure I can find a facility to set up for this race... besides, it's been a while since I had the track out of the basement anyways! :D

hrdrvr
2009.11.12, 08:52 AM
Can you go nine wide anywhere in your basement Ed?

I fear Ill be the next limiting factor, as our room isnt much bigger than your basement. We can 9x20 tiles. Atleast we dont have any poles in our room :D

I agree with you on the layouts. The first one is going to be super fast, and the second one will really give a lot more room for mistakes, which generally makes overtaking oppertunities greater.

chad508
2009.11.12, 09:15 AM
eds got a pole in his basement? sweet. how do you race with all the dancing going on?

imxlr8ed
2009.11.12, 01:43 PM
eds got a pole in his basement? sweet. how do you race with all the dancing going on?

LOL! for some strange reason, your comment really hits home right now! ;)

Anyways... :D

Yes, I can go 9 wide at some spots but then then it's right up to the stairs and we loose places to stand. Visibility really gets screwed up then too.

Like I said before though, I can entertain the idea of having this event somewhere else but I have to chat with my crew first to see if it's worth it (attendance levels).

OR...

We could prolly take a trip to DC for the race... that would be fair cause they came up here a few times so far.

So how bout it DCGTG... you guys planning anything for this?

yasuji
2009.11.12, 02:07 PM
1/28 Raceway will be participating in this one!....im kinda excited for this one as we may have quite a few entries in this event!
btw I like the last one;P

Sinister_Y
2009.11.12, 02:43 PM
I'd love to have MC3 participate. The facility should open at the end of this month so we should be up for the BTE3.

Note we were going to enroll for the HFAY 2010 season...maybe we'll just run for fun unless something can be worked out for just the BTE3.

My vote goes to #3 as it has the best flow with a technical edge. As mentioned, #1 would be the fastest and looks to have good flow. #2 IMO would be a pile up waiting to happen through the multi-chicanes. Anyhoo, just IMO.

briankstan
2009.11.12, 03:10 PM
I'd love to have MC3 participate. The facility should open at the end of this month so we should be up for the BTE3.

Note we were going to enroll for the HFAY 2010 season...maybe we'll just run for fun unless something can be worked out for just the BTE3.

My vote goes to #3 as it has the best flow with a technical edge. As mentioned, #1 would be the fastest and looks to have good flow. #2 IMO would be a pile up waiting to happen through the multi-chicanes. Anyhoo, just IMO.

the BTE is open to everyone, No fees for this event. Just set it up and run it. :) Don't forget to submit you times though.

HFAY rules still apply for this Event. Basically you need to run, HFAY Spec, PN 70turn or Kyosho stock motors, and have at least 3 driver in the races.

the race is open the entire month of December so you should be able to fit it in somewhere.

p.s. How did your banner turn out?

hrdrvr
2009.11.12, 03:36 PM
1/28 Raceway will be participating in this one!....im kinda excited for this one as we may have quite a few entries in this event!
btw I like the last one;P

Cool, Im glad you guys are in again. You let Drew know hes got some one from the right coast coming after him!! I really wanted the win to come from our club last time, and he got me by 3sec :D

yasuji
2009.11.12, 03:56 PM
Cool, Im glad you guys are in again. You let Drew know hes got some one from the right coast coming after him!! I really wanted the win to come from our club last time, and he got me by 3sec :D

it is looking like it may be a whole new ball game for this one....i think chad lukas and pn will participate....as well as drew......and it also looks as if we will get a mod ranking in as well!:D

briankstan
2009.11.12, 04:00 PM
it is looking like it may be a whole new ball game for this one....i think chad lukas and pn will participate....as well as drew......and it also looks as if we will get a mod ranking in as well!:D

very cool !!

pnracingsweden
2009.11.12, 06:09 PM
Hi there
just got my garage in order and put up a track.
I can easy get in 8x16 and if i take my car out and take down a part of a wall Im good for 9x23.

We havenīt raced in HFAY here in stockholm yet but this time we will if the track will fit.
Picture of my garage
http://www.pocketrocket.se/images/fbfiles/images/Ban_bygge_klart.jpg

/Joakim

briankstan
2009.11.12, 06:27 PM
Hi there
just got my garage in order and put up a track.
I can easy get in 8x16 and if i take my car out and take down a part of a wall Im good for 9x23.

We havenīt raced in HFAY here in stockholm yet but this time we will if the track will fit.
Picture of my garage
http://www.pocketrocket.se/images/fbfiles/images/Ban_bygge_klart.jpg

/Joakim

this is shaping up to be the biggest HFAY Event yet. We hope you'll be able to run it. the track shouldn't be any bigger than the tracks posted above. ;)

PS. I wish my garage were that clean. wow!

hilldebrandt
2009.11.12, 07:26 PM
LOL! for some strange reason, your comment really hits home right now! ;)

Anyways... :D

Yes, I can go 9 wide at some spots but then then it's right up to the stairs and we loose places to stand. Visibility really gets screwed up then too.

Like I said before though, I can entertain the idea of having this event somewhere else but I have to chat with my crew first to see if it's worth it (attendance levels).

OR...

We could prolly take a trip to DC for the race... that would be fair cause they came up here a few times so far.

I'm up for renting out a bigger place if it's feasable, I'll even contribute some $$$ for the cause....

Or a trip to DC sounds cool as well. :D

lfisminiz
2009.11.12, 08:35 PM
Ed, im up for renting a bigger place to;).....you know im good to contribute.:)

VAzRACER
2009.11.13, 02:45 PM

Ed, I am going to talk to Bill tomorrow about maybe having this at the place he works. If he knows a date ahead of time it shouldnt be a problem. You may have to bring some wide turns though beacuse we only have three. If we held it here we would have no space limits at all.

imxlr8ed
2009.11.14, 12:13 PM
Sweet, that'll work!... just need 2 pick a date then. (and figure out who's coming with me)

So... who would be the restricting size now? I know the majority of clubs out there can produce a large layout with their stock of RCP, but I still hate to see clubs get excluded.

We prolly need to gather all of the participating clubs ranges for track construction (size and tile limitations) without holding anything up time-wise.

I would say if you think you may be the one with the most restrictions... the sooner you post them, the better!

Thanks guys!

hrdrvr
2009.11.14, 12:22 PM
I guess we will be the restricting factor at 9x20 :( We can do any combonation of kits though. Ive got plenty of wide radius corners, a 45 kit, and a stock pile of Ls.

briankstan
2009.11.14, 03:49 PM
I guess we will be the restricting factor at 9x20 :( We can do any combonation of kits though. Ive got plenty of wide radius corners, a 45 kit, and a stock pile of Ls.

to keep things so a maximum # of clubs could participate we limited it to 3 wide L's and 1 wide inside corner kit.

that should pretty easily fill up your area. I wouldn't mind use the 45 kit, but I don't think alot of clubs have them.

yasuji
2009.11.17, 05:42 PM
what is the layout?

briankstan
2009.11.18, 08:09 AM
Is everyone Ok going with this one. It seems to be the one everyone wants to run. :D if so I'll get it officially posted to the HFAY website.

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28526&stc=1&d=1258553546

chad508
2009.11.18, 09:11 AM
it looks to similar to the one we ran last time. but its fine with me.

briankstan
2009.11.18, 09:29 AM
it looks to similar to the one we ran last time. but its fine with me.

it's similar, but different enough ;)

JOE KROSNER
2009.11.18, 10:57 AM
The track posted has 4 wide radius's I thought the limit was 3l's and 1 wide radius kit (3)

Sorry to point this out

Joe

briankstan
2009.11.18, 11:24 AM
The track posted has 4 wide radius's I thought the limit was 3l's and 1 wide radius kit (3)

Sorry to point this out

Joe

the wide inside corner kit consists of 4 wide inside corners.

http://www.rcptracks.com/rcptrackkits50cm.html

you are correct that is has too many tiles. It's over by 12 straight pieces, if we add the 6 bumpouts in.

Who is planning to run that has only the 3 wide L tracks? if there is no objection to the size we can stick with it. if there are clubs that don't have the track we will have to change it.

hrdrvr
2009.11.18, 11:56 AM
Sorry about that. I didnt count the tiles, just tried to maximize the space. It would be a pretty easy mod to get 12 straights out. Of course I imagined wed run bump-outs, I just dont normally draw them into the layouts....just place them in the normal places....

yasuji
2009.11.18, 12:07 PM
Sorry about that. I didnt count the tiles, just tried to maximize the space. It would be a pretty easy mod to get 12 straights out. Of course I imagined wed run bump-outs, I just dont normally draw them into the layouts....just place them in the normal places....

....jus run it with out the bumps.....lol ....u can turn th bump rail around an make it straight.....lol.....i am short bumps they are in my display window....lol

hrdrvr
2009.11.18, 12:26 PM
Im cool wihtout bumps. We are also cool with the extra tiles, which I forgot to mention before.

yasuji
2009.11.18, 12:35 PM
1/28 is all good with the tiles!

pnracingsweden
2009.11.18, 06:25 PM
Ohhh yes Stockholm Team RadicalRides is on!!!
This is exactly what I can get in without tearing down a wall and I will have some space to stand on :-) this is good.
Just a minor problem a bit of wall in the way I hope this is okay with ? If not I have to tear it down.
/Joakim
http://www.pocketrocket.se/images/fbfiles/images/Large_track_event_3_small_6.jpg

hrdrvr
2009.11.18, 07:35 PM
Do we need to shorten it one tile to miss that wall in the upper right corner?

arch2b
2009.11.18, 08:17 PM
or just leave that tile off? if your hitting the outside of that turn your in trouble to begin with.

tudor_47
2009.11.19, 01:19 AM
MiniZšta is ON, hopefully we will be renting a space so that we can be part of it all this time...

oh! miniZšta does not have any bumpout tiles...

pnracingsweden
2009.11.19, 02:26 AM
Do we need to shorten it one tile to miss that wall in the upper right corner?
No the track is perfekt we only need to race better ;-)
We dont have any bumpout tiles either but I can make them of some other material if necessary.
/Joakim

briankstan
2009.11.19, 07:26 AM
MiniZšta is ON, hopefully we will be renting a space so that we can be part of it all this time...

oh! miniZšta does not have any bumpout tiles...

No the track is perfekt we only need to race better ;-)
We dont have any bumpout tiles either but I can make them of some other material if necessary.
/Joakim

I think we can run this track as it is without the bumpouts. I know most of the clubs have the track and space to runs this track.

Chime in now if you don't have the track or space for this track. I want to finalize and get this track posted on the website this weekend.

hpgod
2009.11.19, 09:27 AM
Yall are making me want to get my wall torn down soon so atl miniz can join the BTEs.
I will be able to get 9x18 layouts in the room once I get the contractor in.

Art

ATL miniZ

briankstan
2009.11.19, 09:48 AM
Yall are making me want to get my wall torn down soon so atl miniz can join the BTEs.

Art

ATL miniZ

We run the Big Tracks in the off months between the Online Points Series. they are run in December and June. So if you don't make this one, there is another one in June. :D

imxlr8ed
2009.11.19, 04:44 PM

Art

ATL miniZ

Contractor/sledgehammer... only difference is price! ;)

VAzRACER
2009.11.19, 04:52 PM
Ed,

Could you bring one wide turn with you when you come down, we only have three.:p Thanks man.

imxlr8ed
2009.11.20, 01:27 AM
No problem! Cya tomorrow... or are you just coming up Saturday?

briankstan
2009.12.02, 08:35 AM
guys, see here for the official on the track, etc

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33217

Hood
2009.12.07, 06:21 PM
We ran our BTE on Saturday and I got all 3 wins for our club, but I am sure that my runs will not be anywhere near the times of Chad or Lucas..

We can't wait to see what they can do on this track.. 85 laps is my guess..

Hood