PDA

View Full Version : Drifting

J-Milz
2009.08.28, 02:12 PM
Last night at my local track in betwen qualifiers a few guys brought out their drift cars. I then bought a set of drift tires for my spare AWD and it began. Its freaking cool!! Can anyone give me a few set up tips to make drifting a bit easier? What about motor, gears, and radio setting? Should I set the punch, throttle curve, and highpoint? Any info would be helpful. :confused:

color01
2009.08.28, 04:06 PM
You typically gear a little higher for drifting I think, since the tires need to keep slipping and spinning to keep the slide going. Any motor will do, although ridiculous Mod motors should be turned down on the radio to maintain some control.

Throttle settings don't need to be changed much -- linear travel is fine -- but often I ask people to try setting a positive steering curve. You want the initial steering response to be quick, to get the tail out, as well as finer resolution when countersteering, thus the positive curve comes in handy.

I personally use either a front one-way or a front slipper (gear diff plus heavy grease but minus three gears) to make the rear end more sensitive. Front one-way lets you brake lightly to get the tail out while front slipper lets you do that as well as power over the turn (it creates a rear-biased power distribution). Once the tail is out, controlling the slide with AWD is a piece of cake. Hope this helps. :)

J-Milz
2009.08.28, 06:06 PM
Front oneway, huh? I bought one, however it's useless in racing in my opinion. So I would definetly try this! Thx.

wildthing
2009.10.22, 07:10 AM
do we need to lock the rear diffs? most 1/10 drift cars have better response when the rear diffs are locked...

tokeco
2009.10.22, 09:35 AM
Guys could you post examples of the kinds of diffs you are talking about and where to purchase? Thanks.

wildthing
2009.10.22, 01:58 PM
Front One-way differential:

http://www.atomicmods.com/Products/Atomic-AWD098-Mini-Z-AWD-Front-One-Way-Differential__12050.aspx - if you are near to USA

http://www.egrracing.com/shop/awd-front-oneway-set-p-103.html - if you are near to ASIA

Adjustable limited Slip Differential for the rear:

http://www.atomicmods.com/Products/Atomic-AWD080-Mini-Z-AWD-Front-or-Rear-Composite-Ball-Differential__12051.aspx

http://www.egrracing.com/shop/ma010-tar-sp-ball-diff-p-2032.html

or you can simply place an electric tape over the planetary gears of the stock plastic rear differentials to "lock" them (like I did).

mk2kompressor
2009.10.22, 02:39 PM
locked rear at this scale is too much imo,the front one way is enough:)

marc
2009.10.22, 03:24 PM
A basic stock AWD car with drift tires should be plenty for starters. When you get more experience in control methods, then motor would be the next best thing.
As always, don't forget bearings!
I think camber has an effect too for drifting, but not sure how you want to set up the suspension for that.
Setting up a car for drifting is far different than grip-racing.
I really don't know the difference between all the different, eh, differentials. I just know that ball-diff's are better than gear-diffs.

TALLGEESE
2009.10.22, 03:58 PM
For drifting, the best motor hands down for our group is the PN 70 turn motor. It's cheap,{around 8 dollars} and you can run it for a long time without the motor getting hot. A couple of other motors we tried would get hot after about 10-15 minutes of drifting, with the PN motor, we could drift for roughly 30 minutes or more without the motor even getting warm.

ShortBus
2009.10.22, 04:21 PM
what are you guys using for tires? i know there are a couple of different companies make them, any work better than others?

wildthing
2009.10.22, 05:03 PM
I use Atomic drift tires (they are like plastic tires). A friend of mine used the plastic drift tires that came from his Tomy Takara Driftlight kit. It makes wonders.

on locked rears - I found that with the smooth cement flooring that I have, the locked rear diff was doing better-looking drift runs than when it was not locked.

I'll try those PN 70T motor if I could get them here in Asia.

TALLGEESE
2009.10.22, 05:06 PM
what are you guys using for tires? i know there are a couple of different companies make them, any work better than others?

Both Kyosho and Atomic make plastic tires just for drifting. We tend to lean more towards the Kyosho's, we also shave/sand the sidewalls at an angle to sit the body down lower. You can also sand the bottom of the tires lightly to get a little more grip and speed, depending on you're drifting style and track layout...

TALLGEESE
2009.10.22, 05:33 PM
A friend of mine used the plastic drift tires that came from his Tomy Takara Driftlight kit. It makes wonders.

on locked rears - I found that with the smooth cement flooring that I have, the locked rear diff was doing better-looking drift runs than when it was not locked.

I'll try those PN 70T motor if I could get them here in Asia.

PN does do international/global shipping to Asia I believe. I've also got a friend with one of the Takara's, I didn't know those tires were compatible with Mini-Z's. I'd really like to try those out, we run locked diffs in the rear of our cars as well. We also run the optional Kyosho 4.5 degree camber knuckles.

wildthing
2009.10.23, 12:33 AM
Kennon (I think) is the dealer of PN... shipping from US to Philippines is kinda expensive and takes forever to arrive (30-45 days)... if it is from hongkong it will take only about 10-14 days and half the cost for shipping.

4.5 degrees camber knuckles... oh no!!! ... additional things to buy :) hehehe

thanks a lot for the info.....